Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,057
· Newest Rebel: macrascal

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [31 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [19 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 131
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
Time period in the first three episodes
Warhead
The passage of time is not entirely clear in the first three episodes. This is what it feels like to me...can anyone help me with anything I've missed.

The Way Back
Occurs over the space of a few days. Ends with the London taking off for Cygnus Alpha, a journey of eight months.

Space Fall
Begins with Blake in confinement as the London takes off.
Blake attempts to take over the London and fails.
The crew of the London spot the abandoned Liberator, and eventually lose it to Blake etc
Blake decides to follow the London to Cygnus Alpha

Cygnus Alpha
Begins as the London is about to land on Cygnus Alpha (it is clearly visible on their screens), so this is eight months after The Way Back. Leylan has only just finished his report on Blake's escape. This is not the report he promised to make in Space Fall regarding the first attempt at a takeover as it reports Raiker's death and Blake's escape. This implies that the discovery and subsequent loss of the Liberator are very recent.

So, am I correct in thinking that Space Fall takes place in three periods? One just after take-off, one halfway through the journey (initial attempt to take the London), and one very close to the end (the Liberator section)?
---------->Warhead<----------
 
littlesue
Warhead wrote:

The passage of time is not entirely clear in the first three episodes. This is what it feels like to me...can anyone help me with anything I've missed.

The Way Back
Occurs over the space of a few days. Ends with the London taking off for Cygnus Alpha, a journey of eight months.

Space Fall
Begins with Blake in confinement as the London takes off.
Blake attempts to take over the London and fails.
The crew of the London spot the abandoned Liberator, and eventually lose it to Blake etc
Blake decides to follow the London to Cygnus Alpha

Cygnus Alpha
Begins as the London is about to land on Cygnus Alpha (it is clearly visible on their screens), so this is eight months after The Way Back. Leylan has only just finished his report on Blake's escape. This is not the report he promised to make in Space Fall regarding the first attempt at a takeover as it reports Raiker's death and Blake's escape. This implies that the discovery and subsequent loss of the Liberator are very recent.

So, am I correct in thinking that Space Fall takes place in three periods? One just after take-off, one halfway through the journey (initial attempt to take the London), and one very close to the end (the Liberator section)?


Dear Mr Nation had a very liberal attitude to the passing of time...MIssion to Destiny; The Galactic War...etc etc...............
My head hurts just to start thinking about it!!!!Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
winnie-l
Warhead wrote:Cygnus Alpha
Begins as the London is about to land on Cygnus Alpha (it is clearly visible on their screens), so this is eight months after The Way Back. Leylan has only just finished his report.... This implies that the discovery and subsequent loss of the Liberator are very recent.
B7 fans have tried since forever to reconcile this time blooper. No one has ever succeeded. Sadly, it seems to be a fairly blatant continuity blooper that has so far never been explained satisfactorily....
 
trevor travis
Most of Space Fall takes place four months into the journey - this is explicitly stated in the dialogue.

Which means four months have still gone 'missing' somewhere Wink
 
Warhead
I'd always been aware of the first four months, as you say, it's mentioned. Likewise, it's not hard to work out that the opening scenes must be straight after The Way Back, and so you have to accept that the four months fast-forward doesn't really have any on-screen indication that it's happened.

So, if we're prepared to accept that, then a second four month jump isn't that hard to have to deal with to necessarily place the discovery of the Liberator and the arrival at Cygnus Alpha rlose to each other in both space and time.

It's inelegant, but it's the only way I can reconcile it in my head. Not that I'm advocating any digital fiddling with the episodes as so many older shows and films have had done to them, but a little video shimmer or something in Space Fall between the scenes that bookend the two time jumps wouldn't go amiss.
---------->Warhead<----------
 
dragonq
It's a really sloppy continuity error, I agree. Someone should have picked it up.

I like to think that Blake, Jenna and Avon had a few adventures together in those four months, learning how to fly the Liberator properly, and arguing about whether or not they were going to hide, turn pirate, or try and get the rest of the prisoners off Cygnus Alpha. That is effectively what happens in Cygnus Alpha, but the episode crams it all into a very short space of time.
 
littlesue
dragonq wrote:

It's a really sloppy continuity error, I agree. Someone should have picked it up.

I like to think that Blake, Jenna and Avon had a few adventures together in those four months, learning how to fly the Liberator properly, and arguing about whether or not they were going to hide, turn pirate, or try and get the rest of the prisoners off Cygnus Alpha. That is effectively what happens in Cygnus Alpha, but the episode crams it all into a very short space of time.


Unfortunately, when you were expected to get a 50 minute action adventure episode ready to go on air with the limited amount of time they had, these things did happen. It isn't exactly sloppy...it's just back then they had no idea that 40 years later we would all be looking at the episodes so closely.
There are lots of mistakes throughout the whole of B7, and I wouldn't change a thing.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
daro2096
I got the impression The Way Back was only a day or two. Once the defence lawyer started to smell a rat they hurried the lift off time of the London.

Space Fall: After Blake says we need to take the ship and avoid living on the prison planet a period of 4 months has gone by. Blake says to Avon you had 4 months to think about it and it didn't take you that long to work out they would have to kill you afterwards to keep you silent.

Cygnus Alpha: Maybes the reason Leylan only sent his report just before planet fall was because they were out of range of the nearest federation pursuit ships/fleet? And maybes because of the lack of time for Blake and co on their new ship was because of they little trip through negative hyperspace causing time to past faster? 4 months becomes just a few hours instead?

Just guessing.
 
winnie-l
daro2096 wrote:Cygnus Alpha: Maybes the reason Leylan only sent his report just before planet fall was because they were out of range of the nearest federation pursuit ships/fleet?
Oh, I like this A LOT! (maybe replacing "nearest federation pursuit ships/fleet" with "nearest Federation communications beacon"?) An in-context GOOD explanation!
And maybes because of the lack of time for Blake and co on their new ship was because of they little trip through negative hyperspace causing time to past faster? 4 months becomes just a few hours instead?
Yes - I always thot it was quite obvious that that was where Blake+Jenna+Avon's 4 months went.... it seems logical doesn't it?!
(Others have still said "there's that 'missing 4 months' on the Liberator..." But the above explains it so well!...)
 
daro2096
winnie-l wrote:

daro2096 wrote:Cygnus Alpha: Maybes the reason Leylan only sent his report just before planet fall was because they were out of range of the nearest federation pursuit ships/fleet?
Oh, I like this A LOT! (maybe replacing "nearest federation pursuit ships/fleet" with "nearest Federation communications beacon"?) An in-context GOOD explanation!
And maybes because of the lack of time for Blake and co on their new ship was because of they little trip through negative hyperspace causing time to past faster? 4 months becomes just a few hours instead?
Yes - I always thot it was quite obvious that that was where Blake+Jenna+Avon's 4 months went.... it seems logical doesn't it?!
(Others have still said "there's that 'missing 4 months' on the Liberator..." But the above explains it so well!...)


Then again it could just be sloppy writing on the part of Nation/Boucher.
 
Grade Four Ignorant
There's also that whole thing with negative hyperspace in Cygnus Alpha. Perhaps it caused some sort of timewarp that threw Liberator a few months into the future.

Although I distinctly remember a fanfiction that was based in those four months, with Blake, Avon and Jenna exploring the ship and realising how alien it was - the only receptacle they find to carry water is an alien bedpan shaped device, the only source of water is football pitch sized shower room and the food is a pink paste that tastes like tomatoes.
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.41 seconds
16,103,433 unique visits since 8th January 2014