Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Headhunter - destroying the android
GoldChannel
Watched 'Headhunter' again tonight as part of my reverse-rewatch/screencapping. I love the episode, it's a real thrill-a-minute.

But I have a question for you. Were Dayna and Tarrant right to destroy the android totally at the end, even when it had its inhibitor helmet attached?

Avon reacts angrily describing Tarrant as a superstitious fool. It's clear Dayna and Tarant think they've done the right thing, perhaps worrying that if the inhibitor were afected they could end up being chased around Xenon base by the homicidal robot again. But assuming it wasn't, and the android operated perfectly, it could have been a valuable member of the crew, in a bizarre way. As is hinted at in the episode, he could have been an Orac with legs and a handy circuit-controlling power.

Is the fear that such artificial intelligence, with that power, would 'inevitably' go bad?

meegat39
GoldChannel wrote:

Watched 'Headhunter' again tonight as part of my reverse-rewatch/screencapping. I love the episode, it's a real thrill-a-minute.

But I have a question for you. Were Dayna and Tarrant right to destroy the android totally at the end, even when it had its inhibitor helmet attached?

Avon reacts angrily describing Tarrant as a superstitious fool. It's clear Dayna and Tarant think they've done the right thing, perhaps worrying that if the inhibitor were afected they could end up being chased around Xenon base by the homicidal robot again. But assuming it wasn't, and the android operated perfectly, it could have been a valuable member of the crew, in a bizarre way. As is hinted at in the episode, he could have been an Orac with legs and a handy circuit-controlling power.

Is the fear that such artificial intelligence, with that power, would 'inevitably' go bad?

Well my view is that it had a "head" before and that didn't stop it from going wrong. All it takes is somebody to misguidedly remove it...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Grade Four Ignorant
I'd side with Dayna and Tarrant. At least Orac didn't try to kill them. Well, not often.

GoldChannel
it just occured to me (i'm slow!) that this is basically the B7 take on Frankenstein..... the fear of technology.

'the modern galactic Prometheus' perhaps?

I was impressed at how it was able to use Muller's actual head as its oen 'fake' head, and get it to move the mouth and everything... (at least i think that's what was going on)

rojkerr1
Orac said by destroying the android they had ensured the survival of organic life forms in their galaxy. He might have had an ulterior motive because the muller android threatened his own superiority

GoldChannel
At least Orac didn't try to kill them. Well, not often.

haha!!!! Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
What I want answered is why, within the fictional canon, did the android grow a foot taller when the head was removed*?

*obviously the 'real world' explanation is that actor still had to fit inside the costume, but in the story..?
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

GoldChannel
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

What I want answered is why, within the fictional canon, did the android grow a foot taller when the head was removed*?

*obviously the 'real world' explanation is that actor still had to fit inside the costume, but in the story..?

hehe

mayyyyyyybe......

if that severed head was being used as his fake head...... then maybe there was all kinds of circuitry etc 'inside' the (fleshy) head, to animate it etc. And when the fleshy head was severed again in the explosion caused by Dayna, all those circuit parts became released, and seemed (to the human eye) to make an extra lenght of 'padding' appear on the android's top.

hmmmmm.....

Not very convincing i know!

Or........ maybe we are seeing an artistic represntational portrayal. The android, now a figure of fear, becomes in their perception taller and more frightening??

Sigh. There's just no good answer to this one is there?Happy

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.24 seconds
9,493,584 unique visits since 8th January 2014