Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Which is the stupidest end-of-season cliffhanger/ending?
Dallas: Pam wakes up and finds Bobby in the shower Dallas: Pam wakes up and finds Bobby in the shower 29%[2 Votes]
The Colbys (Dynasty spin-off): Fallon abducted by UFO The Colbys (Dynasty spin-off): Fallon abducted by UFO 29%[2 Votes]
Dynasty: The East European Wedding Massacre where everyone survived being shot at point blank range Dynasty: The East European Wedding Massacre where everyone survived being shot at point blank range 0%[0 Votes]
Doctor Who: River shoots the Teleselecta Doctor in a Grade A cop-out Doctor Who: River shoots the Teleselecta Doctor in a Grade A cop-out 14%[1 Vote]
Brittas Empire: ALL seven seasons are a dream Brittas Empire: ALL seven seasons are a dream 0%[0 Votes]
Other (please specify) Other (please specify) 29%[2 Votes]
Total Votes : 7
 Print Thread
Stupidest-ever end-of-season cliffhanger/ending
trevor travis
B7 has great end-of-season cliffhangers. Some other series have fared less well.

But which is the worst?

trevor travis
This thread also gives away my liking during the 80s of trashy American soap operas Wink

I actually know all the Dallas cliffhangers. Most are really good - the 'Who Shot Bobby' storyline was a complete masterpiece, with twists upon twists.

sweevo
I'd say all, but given the choice, either "Dallas" or "The Brittas Empire". As for other? "ALF" - the final episode "Consider Me Gone" ends on a cliffhanger which is only resolved in a TV movie - "Project ALF".

JustBrad
Red Dwarf.

They've had at least one, probably two cliff hangers that were never resolved and later ignored.

Zenrac
I would like to extend this to awful Christmas specials and give the crown to the last two Doctor Who specials on Christmas Day that have been utterly, utterly, utterly woeful. How they made it to air is a complete travesty.

trevor travis
I simply had to vote for this:

https://www.youtu...u8YH6ewoqQ

I'd given up on Dynasty (which had been great until Pamela Sue Martin - the real Fallon - left it, at which point it seemed to lose all touch with reality) and The Colbys, which was a turkey all the way through, but the US were always a few months ahead in transmission and the news had been leaked how it ended, and I wanted to see it for my own eyes.

I watched the above clip, while in hysterics.

The Colbys had ended, but the producers compounded their idiocy. I remember catching a subsequent episode of Dynasty (I wasn't a regular viewer by then) where Fallon had a flashback and they showed scenes of weird-looking aliens.

It was funny at the time, but looking back, it was a sign how much a TV programme could lose it. It also represents the ultimate in the dumbing down of a character, as Fallon went from Pamela Sue Martin's headstrong heir to the Carrington millions to Emma Samms' clueless and weak version, with her fake American accent (lord knows why they cast a British actress as Fallon).

Coser
Had to select "Other".

"Red Dwarf". The end of season where the small rouge one is being eaten by some kind of virus, Rimmer is in an alternate universe trying to find the cure.

Next season, all back to normal with hardly a word said as to how.

Mind you, there were some pretty awful 'clifhangers' at the end of episodes of Doctor Who too.

"Planet of the Daleks" episode one ended with the astonishing discovery of ................... a Dalek on the planet!

Ok, so it would have been a surprise to the characters, but the audience would have found a clue in the name of the story, surely?
"Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…then all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars." Commander sinclair, Babylon 5.

Zenrac
Off the back of that (as a bit of an aside) they need to rest the Daleks and the Cybermen now. They have been flogged to death and both have become almost a laughing stock because of the ease at which they seem to be defeated. The threat has gone. They no longer pose that 'hide behind the sofa' menace. They are supposed to be the ultimate evil yet they never come close to winning - you know, out there in a dangerous, unknown universe where good does not always prevail - and where a companion never dies (like Adric in Earthshock). There should be some menace and a price paid written in occasionally. The timey-wimey, lovey-dovey, touchy-feely nice and calm resolve of Star Trek TNG episodes has dumbed-down Who now.

B7 had deaths of the main cast (Gan and Cally and Blake, and Jenna if you believe Blake's story to Tarrant in 'Blake', and Travis too). It was never sugar-coated. It was a dangerous place to be with deadly weaponry and a galactic-battle theme running throughout with real consequences involved.

And with Who now having single, extended episodes with full resolve, they have lost the cliffhanger, setting up the doubt and intrigue in the viewers minds as they waited for the next instalment. Bring back the cliffhanger and the attention-deficit members of the public be damned.

littlesue
The only one that I can remember is the shower thing.
Nearly all the shows that I watched just sort of ended...although I know that the Time Tunnel's last episode when aired back in the day, usually went from the strange town that they had landed on straight back to the Titanic. I suppose that was one way of keep showing the episodes BTW, that was in the States. Over here...it just finished.
Actually, Quantum Leap, now I think of it sort of just fizzled out. I was so looking forward to the whole thing being resolved...and I felt quite let down.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

sweevo
JustBrad wrote:

Red Dwarf.

They've had at least one, probably two cliff hangers that were never resolved and later ignored.

Take my advice: skip Season 8 entirely (which I think can be safely decanonised now) and go straight to "Back to Earth" followed by Season 10 onwards. You lose nothing by going from the end of Season 7 to the beginning of BTE.

trevor travis
sweevo wrote:
Take my advice: skip Season 8 entirely (which I think can be safely decanonised now) and go straight to "Back to Earth" followed by Season 10 onwards. You lose nothing by going from the end of Season 7 to the beginning of BTE.

BTE is the one I really don't like Wink

trevor travis
littlesue wrote:

The only one that I can remember is the shower thing.
Nearly all the shows that I watched just sort of ended...although I know that the Time Tunnel's last episode when aired back in the day, usually went from the strange town that they had landed on straight back to the Titanic. I suppose that was one way of keep showing the episodes BTW, that was in the States. Over here...it just finished.
Actually, Quantum Leap, now I think of it sort of just fizzled out. I was so looking forward to the whole thing being resolved...and I felt quite let down.

Yes, Quantum Leap had a bit of a rubbish ending.

trevor travis
Dallas cliffhangers:

THE GOOD:
1. Bobby is shot
2. JR is shot
3. Southfolk on fire
4. The body in the pool (turns out to be JR's revenge against Kristin - see No 2!)
5. Sue Ellen shoots JR, after he's thrown her lover out of a tall building
6. Pam crashes into a HGV (even it's a rip-off of Fallon doing something similar in Dynasty)
7. JR blows his brains out after "It's A Wonderful Life" in reverse (the very final episode)
8. Bobby dies
9. The 'dream season' cliffhanger prior to Pam finding Bobby in the shower, as Jamie and Sue Ellen are bomb victims. This is HOW this season should have ended...
10. Sue Ellen's life in the balance, after a car accident.
11. Sue Ellen leaves, having made a film about her and JR, to blackmail him not to mess with her in the future.

THE BAD:
1. It's all a dream.... BAH!!!
2. JR in the asylum - complete rubbish.
3. The total anti-climax one where Sue Ellen says she'll leave JR if Cliff dies.

Child Of Auron
trevor travis wrote:

This thread also gives away my liking during the 80s of trashy American soap operas Wink

I actually know all the Dallas cliffhangers. Most are really good - the 'Who Shot Bobby' storyline was a complete masterpiece, with twists upon twists.

Did your love of trashy American soaps edge into the 90s?

I love Melrose Place, OTT in a so bad it's good way and some great end of season cliffhangers (hello Kimberly about to blow up the apartments in season 3)

sweevo
trevor travis wrote:

sweevo wrote:

BTE is the one I really don't like Wink

So go straight to 10, with the opening episode "Trojan". Smile Personally, I think Red Dwarf should have ended á la B7, with our heroes dying at the hands of their future selves at the end of Season 6.

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

Dallas cliffhangers:

THE GOOD:
1. Bobby is shot
2. JR is shot
3. Southfolk on fire
4. The body in the pool (turns out to be JR's revenge against Kristin - see No 2!)
5. Sue Ellen shoots JR, after he's thrown her lover out of a tall building
6. Pam crashes into a HGV (even it's a rip-off of Fallon doing something similar in Dynasty)
7. JR blows his brains out after "It's A Wonderful Life" in reverse (the very final episode)
8. Bobby dies
9. The 'dream season' cliffhanger prior to Pam finding Bobby in the shower, as Jamie and Sue Ellen are bomb victims. This is HOW this season should have ended...
10. Sue Ellen's life in the balance, after a car accident.
11. Sue Ellen leaves, having made a film about her and JR, to blackmail him not to mess with her in the future.

THE BAD:
1. It's all a dream.... BAH!!!
2. JR in the asylum - complete rubbish.
3. The total anti-climax one where Sue Ellen says she'll leave JR if Cliff dies.

I'm amazed that knowledge of these American prime time soaps is so extensive in Britain.

In the 80's we were ignoring Dynasty and Dallas, and watching Rumpole, Upstairs Downstairs, The Jewel In The Crown, By The Sword Divided, Benny Hill, Dave Allen, The Young Ones, the Two Ronnies, and of course, Blake's Seven and Doctor Who.

trevor travis
Child Of Auron wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Did your love of trashy American soaps edge into the 90s?

I love Melrose Place, OTT in a so bad it's good way and some great end of season cliffhangers (hello Kimberly about to blow up the apartments in season 3)

I'm afraid it doesn't.

It faded around 1985/86, when Dallas and Dynasty both "jumped the shark" in spectacular style with increasingly stupid and daft storylines.

Dynasty, in particular, totally lost the plot. It went from trashy-but-gripping to trashy-and-ridiculous within a single season.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:I'm amazed that knowledge of these American prime time soaps is so extensive in Britain.

In the 80's we were ignoring Dynasty and Dallas, and watching Rumpole, Upstairs Downstairs, The Jewel In The Crown, By The Sword Divided, Benny Hill, Dave Allen, The Young Ones, the Two Ronnies, and of course, Blake's Seven and Doctor Who.

Brad, Dallas and Dynasty were huge in the UK in the mid-80s. I mean really huge.

I think we thought everyone in America lived like that Grin

I always considered Dallas as the better scripted of the two. I went and bought the box sets for seasons 6 to 9, and it's really tightly plotted.

I'd stopped watching Dallas religiously after the 'dream season' (which is actually a really good season, but its final 30 seconds are a travesty) and they then lost too many vital cast members, but still caught the end-of-season cliffhangers up until the end of the run.

Dynasty was less 'clever' than Dallas, but great fun to watch until it suddenly turned completely ridiculous.

Joe Dredd
I read this article a few months ago about how huge "Santa Barbara" was in the USSR - people were naming communities and building their houses to look like the ones they saw on TV:

American soap opera explains how Russia feels about everything

Klenotka
Others. Even though Bobby in the shower became a metaphor for bad cliffhangers and silly plot twists Grin

A lots of great shows were drown in their last seasons.

For me, the biggest disappointment, was probably Chuck. Fantastic show in its first two seasons, split in half with its third (entirely different stories but still good). Then seasons 4 and 5 where they picked the most annoying characters to take the lead. The ending/cliffhanger was silly. They got 13 episodes to end the show properly (which is, let´s face it, very rare that they know ahead and have enough time to end it). Yet, they chose the way of shortcuts and a cheap cliffhanger with amnesia (the cheapest trick ever)
Don´t be Lasagne

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.45 seconds
9,476,276 unique visits since 8th January 2014