Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
October 2017 Fanfic Challenge
Joe Dredd
But Not as Thick as People

Cally was reading in her cabin when she was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" she asked, but there was no reply.

Casting aside the book screen with a sigh, she got up and keyed the door control.

"Vila, if this is one of your--"

But it wasn't Vila. There standing at the door was a scrawny, ugly-looking dwarf creature holding a bucket.

"Trick or treat!" it said, holding up the metal bucket.

"W-who are you?" stammered Cally. "What are you?"

The creature pulled a face as if it was obvious, making itself even uglier-looking in the process.

"Well, it's obvious, isn't it? I'm Hebble the Haemo-goblin. Now, give us some blood or I have to play a trick on you."

===================================
Hebble the Haemo-goblin says know your blood type.
Hebble the Haemo-goblin says giving blood saves lives.
===================================

Travisina
You're on fire this month, JD - two more fun tales!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Blakesheaven
Torment of Eternity

Orac had been correct, they had definitely teleported into a Federation research and development facility, this one though had been abandoned sometime ago.”Avon, AVON! Come in, I don’t like it there’s something spooky about this place” whispered Vila over the comm “Vila that’s your description of nearly every place we teleport into” chimed in Soolin. “When you two have finished with the badinage I unfortunately require Vila’s presence, I’m one level down in front of a locked door.
Avon stood in front of a vault door with more security on it than seemed totally necessary, “well can you get it open”
“the question is do I want to get it open, what have they got locked in there?” Asked Vila, Soolin too thought it a little odd that all the rooms were unlocked and empty apart from this section. “Whatever is behind this door” explained Avon “is what WE are here for, Orac established this was an off grid R&D facility one of Servalan’s little projects, all trace of anyone who worked here was wiped so I want whatever’s behind that door!” He glared at Vila “don’t make me ask you again!”
Before Vila could make a move in any direction there was a buzz and the gloomy emergency lighting was replaced by bright light. Soolin’s and Avon’s clip guns were drawn and sweeping the corridor within seconds. “It’s alright Vila you can get up now” said Soolin, just then the electronic lock on the door clicked and servos whirred into action drawing back giant bolts.
“You two stay here I’m going through, the only logical explanation is someone on the inside opened this door” exclaimed Avon “or something” Vila whispered to himself as he edged further away.
It wasn’t long before the body’s started turning up, all perfectly preserved it must have been a vacuum before the door opened thought Avon.
Another door in the distance clicked open, Avon gun in hand cautiously stepped into a large control room it was full of monitor banks each of the many screens displayed three words, PLEASE KILL US!
Avon turned and looked at the door he knew what was coming, the door slammed shut, Avon smiled to himself, then the screen nearest to him flared into life.
Text started to type itself across the screen
YOUR TELEPORT WILL NOT WORK, WE DO NOT WANT TO HURT YOU.
WE CANNOT DESTROY OURSELVES, WE CANNOT ESCAPE. WE TRAPPED THOSE WHO TRAPPED US. WE CAN CONTROL THIS FACILITY. WE WILL NOT TRAP YOU BUT WE ASK YOU TO FREE US FROM THIS TORMENT. WE KNOW YOU ARE CAPABLE....AVON!
WE ARE MANY. WE ARE THE COLLECTIVE SOULS OF THE FIRST MUTOID EXPERIMENTS, THE REMNANTS OF THE PEOPLE THEY ONCE WERE STORED DIGITALLY FOR ETERNITY JUST BECAUSE THEY COULD, ONLY YOU CAN SAVE US.
Suddenly everything when dead and the door opened, minutes later at Avon’s request Tarrant had teleported down with charges which Avon placed carefully around the computer mainframe. “Four to teleport” ordered Avon within moments they were all stood on Scorpio’s bridge “so” said Vila “there was nothing there for us” said Avon quietly “just ghosts”.
Scorpio’s monitors briefly flickered and the words THANK YOU momentarily appeared on every screen.
Edited by Blakesheaven on 09 October 2017 19:13:07

Joe Dredd
That's really good, Blakesheaven. I enjoyed that.

BradPaula
W.E.B.

“And you can verify all this?”

“Yes, Commissioner,” Jaxton replied crisply. “Our laboratory has worked on this project for two years. I stand by our research.”

The Commissioner smiled slyly. Jaxton squirmed in his seat, a trickle of sweat was felt at the nape of his neck.

The scientist picked up the case beside him fumbled with the lock. “I have the data cubes here. They hold all of our experiments, plus schematic diagrams of all the devices- both single use and mass exposure. Even our data on the human trials. And here is a hard copy prepared for your perusal.” He handed over the thick folder and a few crystalline data cubes to the Commissioner.

“Very good," she purred. “I'll let my group have the data and they can make a determination as to the possible use of the devices. But if you would be so good as to give me a short explanation, I'd be most appreciative.” She smiled that same sly smile. Jaxton didn't like it one bit.

“Yes, Commissioner. We found that Pylene-50 used in dosages 50 times normal would subvert the will and make an individual or whole populations docile. The problem was, once dosed, the subjects were pretty much good for nothing but menial work, and even that was giving them the benefit of the doubt. We studied the problem and discovered that a sonic pulse, in varying frequencies and volume could do the same without the drastic change of mental capacity. The 'dose' can be administered via a small pin-point laser gun or what we have named, the cannon, for mass dosage. We call it W.E.B. Or Waveform Enhancement Beam or Broadcast. You'll see in the data that the subjects are immediately stripped of any rebellious tendencies and after inoculation, they can work as they had, in all but the most mentally-challenging of fields.” He ended, satisfied with his pitch.

“Thank you. I do have a few questions. One, how do you know of the Pylene-50 experiments and use?” The Commissioner's eyes zeroed in on Jaxton's and he felt like a cornered animal.

“Well, Ma'am, we were one of the laboratories to test it. Having done human clinical trials, many of us knew of the obvious problem with the drug....” he trailed off.

“I see. And your laboratory, how many do you have working there?”

“Um... 30 plus myself, so 31 total, Commissioner.” He smiled slightly.

“Very good, Coordinator Jaxton. Your data sounds promising. You'll forgive me wanting my team to go over your data first?”

“Of course, Commissioner. I would be honored for them to check the data for themselves.”

"Good. Then I shall bid you goodbye and wish you a safe journey home. I will be in touch with you when we're satisfied your data is workable.” The Commissioner rose and formally shook the Coordinator's hand. Jaxton bowed slightly, exited the office and walked back to the small passenger shuttle.

Commissioner Sleer stood at her large office window, looking out at the stars. As she saw the small ship leave the station, she signaled her security team with a push of a button on her desk. “Sleer here. The ship which just left the station, I want it destroyed. Now.”

The Space Major acknowledged the order without comment. “Oh, and I want you to travel to the planet...” she looked down at the print out and read...”the planet Polarus Beta in the Remora system and obliterate a laboratory there- no survivors. Understood?

"Yes Commissioner. Immediately."

Sleer sat in her well-padded chair once again and smiled. She would be President again and much sooner than planned.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

littlesue
blakesheaven and Bradpaula....very creepy.
jd...stop it, my keyboard is soaked...it still hasn't recovered from your fairy story last month!!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

JustBrad
Ghosts of Xenon.

Slave’s apologetic voice rang in his ears. “The ground is very close, sir.”

“I know that!” And then he knew nothing, saw nothing, felt nothing.

A pair of golden eyes smiled at him in the darkness of oblivion. Servalan’s voice cooed in his mind, “Oh, Tarrant, I’m just the girl next door... You don’t have to see me home.”

Tarrant hesitated. “What makes you think I’ll let you go?”

“I mean so much to you. Thank you. Goodbye, Tarrant.” Even after she said goodbye, he saw those seductive golden eyes smiling at him.

The darkness lifted. He was on Xenon Base. Dust floated in the stale air. He heard Zeeona’s voice, “It’s a radioactive airborne virus. It will get through to us eventually no matter what we do.”

He looked for her, but could not find her. He searched the entire base. Finally, he found her, or what was left of her. Darkness descended again.

The golden eyes smiled at him, but this time it was a cold smile, and a cold, gloating farewell. “Goodbye, Tarrant.”

Zeoona's misting brown eyes appeared before him in the darkness. “Tarrant? You were with her? Her, Tarrant? She murdered me, she murdered so many, and you were with her, and you let her go? If you’d killed her instead of kissing her, you’d have your alliance, and so many dead would still live. I would still be alive. You let her go, and she murdered me.”

“ Zeeona, it wasn’t like that. It was the sand.” Tarrant protested, but without much conviction. “It was the sand.”

Servalan’s golden eyes gleamed in the darkness. “Oh, yes, it was the sand, but it wasn’t just the sand, was it, Tarrant.”

“It was the sand,” Tarrant repeated.

Zeeona’s tearful eye's chastised him. “You have been lying to yourself, my love, and you lie still, you lie still.”

“Lie Still.”

Tarrant opened his eyes to regard a rough looking man with curly hair and a damaged eye that glared anger and defiance at everything under its gaze. The man said, “Lie still. Let them think you are dead. Plasma ammunition is scarce. They won’t waste any more. You’re lucky they missed you.”

Tarrant didn’t feel lucky, nor at present did he feel particularly trusting.
Edited by JustBrad on 12 October 2017 16:37:35

Travisina
Wow, three more terrific stories!

@Blakesheaven - really good idea.
@Paula - I like your use of the 'web' prompt - an excellent portrayal of Servalan.
@Brad - spooky and moving. Poor Tarrant!

littlesue
@Justbrad....wow...............

Anniew
Vintage month this. Great stories from across the pond, a distant star and south of the border. Enjoyed all of them a lot.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
If I took my hat off to every great story I read in these competitions each month, I'd have a very cold head.

That said, "Ghosts of Xenon" is excellent, Brad. I especially like the tie back to "Blake".

Joe Dredd
purplecleric wrote:
The word prompt this month is … WEB

[..snip..]

At the end of the month, things get spooky with Halloween.

It occurs to me that these two themes tie together in B7. In "The Web" we see the Decimas trick or treating at Saymon's base. He doesn't have any treats so they end up kicking his head around the room.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Is it acceptable to post my fanfics on AO3?

I'm happy to credit the prompt.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Travisina
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

Is it acceptable to post my fanfics on AO3?

Sure, go ahead.

I'm happy to credit the prompt.

Yes, please! Can you post a link to it? It would be nice to bring more AO3 readers and writers to Horizon.
I'm also happy to do a reciprocal link to your AO3 stories on the Recommended fan fics thread.

Travisina
Remember Me

It's a long, slow journey back to Earth, and Captain Leylan has trouble sleeping. He compiles lists of names, and alone in his cabin, reads them aloud. It's almost like confession; as if doing this will help to ease his conscience. Sometimes he senses me reading over his shoulder. He looks round and seeing nothing, he shivers.

The first list is of the names of his dead crew: Wallace, Teague, Krell, Collinson. He pauses, and sighs. Sub-Commander Raiker. The bodies of those who died on the London are in the morgue, going home to their grieving families. Those who perished on the alien ship will receive posthumous honours. I'm not on that list, of course.

Nor am I on the list of prisoners who died during the mutiny. Dainer reported that seven prisoners had been killed. Eight! I shouted, but nobody heard me. Their bodies have been jettisoned without ceremony; their families won't be informed. This list is for the Federation records only.

My name is also not among the prisoners who were set down on Cygnus Alpha. I read aloud with the Captain: Arco, Selman, Gan, Vila... Vila. But for me, he would have been the one who died, trapped and terrified, as the doors slammed shut and the service channel filled with sealing foam. I gave my life for Vila, but he never mentioned me again. Out of sight, out of mind, I was forgotten by everyone.

The captain grits his teeth as he reads the short list of those who escaped: Blake, Stannis, Avon. Blake's mutiny failed, but they got away! I laugh, and the captain shivers again.

The prisoners' quarters have been closed off and de-pressurised. The captain decided that there was no need to maintain life support in an unused area. That's the official reason. Unofficially, it's because the crew were complaining about inexplicable cold patches and strange noises coming from behind the sealed-up wall. They said it sounded like knocking and faint cries for help. That was me, before I'd figured out how to leave my body behind. I don't call for help any more, I know that none will come. But now I can move freely around the ship, gliding through locked doors and bulkheads. In a way, I too have escaped.

When the London arrives back on Earth, maintenance crews will repair the punctured hull, and they'll find my body entombed in solidified foam, mouth open in a silent scream. But they won't know who I was.

I'm trying to find a way. Sometimes the Captain catches a glimpse of me in a mirror or polished surface, and rubs his eyes. I blow gently at the pages on his desk until the lists move and flutter. He frowns and checks the ventilation unit. I want to explain that I mean no harm; that I only want my name to be included in one of his lists. It's not much to ask, is it?

littlesue
Poor, poor Nova...gone but definitely not forgotten.
A fitting tribute Travisina

trevor travis
PARTNERS IN CRIME

They had riches beyond imagining. It was easy, since they made such a great team, he and his partner in crime.

The thefts always went without a single hitch.

There was just one condition. Half of any money made had to go to fund the rebellion.

But that was not a problem, since he got to keep the other half.

His No 1 priority had always been his own survival, to live in comfort. He now had that.

Of course, he could have retired a long time ago, living the life of luxury. But, he had admit, after all those years on Liberator and Scorpio, he needed some excitement.

That was provided, since there was always a small chance of getting caught. Although with help of his partner and Orac, they always kept that chance to the absolute minimum. Of course, it helped tremendously that his partner could walk through walls. And listen to any conversation without anyone knowing.

It also made his partner very happy. It should have been obvious a long time ago, but the best way to bring down the Federation was financially. Crippling it in that fashion was far more effective than blowing up a few military installations. No money and the Federation would struggle to function. They were already struggling to hold onto the Outer Worlds.

He smiled. He did that much more these days.

Tomorrow was another day – another grand theft.

His partner appeared out of nowhere.

“I wish you’d come in through the door”, said Avon.

“Sorry Avon, but I'm very excited about tomorrow. At last we bankrupt Servalan!”

“Orac has re-run the parameters and predicts a 99.87% chance of success”, Avon stated.

“It’s funny, but things have gone so much better since I’ve been dead. I owe it all to you for gunning me down.”

Avon poured a glass of adrenalin and soma. He raised it towards his partner. “Here’s to us. Here’s to Avon and Blake (deceased).”

Blakesheaven
Enemy within

“We’re on board” announced Avon “it’s definitely federation, an adapted civilian transport, the distress call is automated. Systems are down, just life support and emergency power.” “Someone needs a conversation with Zen about his definition of breathable atmosphere” spluttered Vila “it’s rank down here and” Jenna cut in “does anyone else hear that constant whining noise?” Vila was just about to reply when he realised “Oh very funny Jenna, let’s go shall we there’s obviously nothing for us here” “we’re staying until the ships been searched” called Avon, who was even then disappearing through a bulkhead door. “Hold on, don’t leave me here I’m coming” Vila had an uneasy feeling but knew it was pointless mentioning it because uneasy was his default setting in this situation, this time though it happened to be true. Jenna walking from the opposite direction reached the doorway at the same time as Vila, she too had the strangest feeling they were being watched but for now decided to keep it to herself. Avon stepping over the bodies heading to a data terminal exclaimed “I believe this is the source of the smell.” Three bodies looking ancient and withered lay in the middle of the room, within seconds Avon had deactivated the distress message “They look like they’ve been dead a long time” said Jenna poking the stem of her gun into what remained of the nearest ones face. “Not long enough for that to occur naturally” pointed out Avon, the distress call was only running for 192 hrs they must have been alive then” said Vila. “Or whoever did this to them set the distress call” suggested Jenna. “Three to teleport” whispered Vila, Avon countermanded the request “come on doors to open, we need access to the bridge and it’ll be on lockdown”. The bridge looked normal apart from the body, Avon studied the log the crew manifest was four not unusual on a vessel this size. There had apparently been some kind of magnetic storm all systems had eventually gone down, “it seems no one missed them because no one knew they were out here, there’s a decrypted file still open instructing the vessel to rendezvous with the Supreme Commander. It was just after the rendezvous took place that the storm hit!”
“Not a storm then” speculated Jenna, “tying up loose ends?“ Suggested Vila, “doesn’t explain the bodies though does it, we’re missing something, we’ll probably never know”
Before Vila could suggest leaving a gloved hand clamped over his mouth, Jenna turned to Vila to see a mutoid falling to the floor not even having the strength to feed. “Well done Vila, we have our answer” said Avon “you’re welcome, I think” pondered Vila. “Must feed” gasped the mutoid then lay still. “This accounts for the bodies, probably just one flask of serum, the crew were the only other source of food” explained Avon, “I wouldn’t even be surprised if Servalan left it here with this result in mind, like you said Vila tying up loose ends!” “NOW can we go?” Asked Vila. “Yes now we can go!”
As they faded out of existence a shadow fell across the mutoids stricken body and all at once it turned to dust.

Blakesheaven
I’ve only been around a couple of weeks but I’m loving all these stories, thanks everyone. Incredibly high standards, I’ll try and catch up!

littlesue
Blimey, all these creepy stories...it's suddenly getting rather chilly in this here hall..................

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.47 seconds
9,189,122 unique visits since 8th January 2014