Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Popular Mechanics 50 Greatest Sci-Fi Series
Travisina
Check this out: 50 Greatest SF TV Shows

Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

briggsy1
No. 20 on the list isn't bad at all.

Travisina
briggsy1 wrote:

No. 20 on the list isn't bad at all.

Pretty good, eh? And I liked that they said "...if you haven't heard of this, you really should hunt it down."

BradPaula
Pretty good ranking there!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

briggsy1
Some notable omissions there though: Hitch Hikers Guide and Thunderbirds amongst them. And is the Prisoner really a sci-fi show?

JustBrad
I agree with most of the inclusions, but certainly NOT with the order.

V (the original) better than Blake's 7, Babylon 5, and Farscape?

And along with the omissions Brigsy mentioned, where is the original BSG, groundbreaking for it's day.

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

I agree with most of the inclusions, but certainly NOT with the order.

I think they do it on purpose, to stimulate discussion & clickbait!

V (the original) better than Blake's 7, Babylon 5, and Farscape?

You never know, there may be V fans who agree with that Wink

And along with the omissions Brigsy mentioned, where is the original BSG, groundbreaking for it's day.

Or as hubby calls it, 'the proper BSG'! It's there, at no.34

But Space 1999 is at no. 49 and UFO isn't there at all. If the Prisoner is there (which is arguably fantasy rather than SF), then why not Sapphire and Steel? What about Batman?

But what I did like about the listing is that it spanned the decades - most of these type of articles only list the most recent shows. It was nice to see old classics like 'Lost in Space' on the list, and no real surprise that the cross-generational (re-generational) Dr Who was at the top.

daro2096
We have got to get used to the idea that Blake's 7 won't be that well known to people under the age of 40 now. I am nearly 43 and I just about barely remember the last two series, the 4th more. It is only going to get worse as we get older. Number 20 is not bad for a show that ended nearly 36 years ago.

trevor travis
Hmmm. A bit of a rubbish list. B7 only at No 20, and no sign at all of Sapphire & Steel, Survivors, Star Cops or HHGTTG.

At least it puts Doctor Who at the top, instead of poxy Star Trek.

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

You never know, there may be V fans who agree with that Wink

Though the ending felt a bit contrived, the original mini series was indeed brilliant. Some of the best TV SCI FI I have ever seen.

The reboot full series... not so much.

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:
But Space 1999 is at no. 49 and UFO isn't there at all. If the Prisoner is there (which is arguably fantasy rather than SF), then why not Sapphire and Steel? What about Batman?

If we're going by the textbook definition of Sci-Fi, then the list is:

1. Survivors
2. Star Cops

And beyond that, I can't think of any other pure sci-fi TV shows (i.e those without any fantastical elements). Wink

daro2096
Survivors is not sci-fi, sorry. It is apocalyptic.

trevor travis
daro2096 wrote:

It's actually one of the very few true science fiction shows, if you go by the original definition.

B7 is close, but contains obvious fantastical elements within it.

President Solvite
The Expanse is on there.. but I tend avoid these click-bait-y lists they surface every few months. TNG above so many other more worthy series... come on!?$^

But moving on.. Smile
also
Anyone who hasn't seen the Expanse, get watching, a great true science fiction series. But it also doesn't skimp on characters, dialogue or plot.. Midway through season two now and I think its threatening to become on of those greats.

Characters who are flawed, make mistakes and argue a lot and many deaths... mmm reminds me of a series that I can't quite put a finger on... Anyone help me out?? Grin

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
daro2096
trevor travis wrote:

daro2096 wrote:

It's actually one of the very few true science fiction shows, if you go by the original definition.

B7 is close, but contains obvious fantastical elements within it.

I define Sci-Fi as future events with technology that doesn't exist yet. Survivors is set in the then present day of 1975's England where a deadly virus was accidently released which over a matter of a few weeks kills 95% of the population reducing the population of Great Britain to approx. 10,000 and follows the lives of Abby Grant, Jenny Richards and Greg Preston as they attempt to rebuild society from the ashes of the old.

I don't see that as sci-fi anymore than All Creatures Great and Small is.

President Solvite
Well there is a Time Lord working in a vets practice Grin

He claims to be Siegfried Farnon's brother but it doesn't wash with me!

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
BradPaula
President Solvite wrote:

Well there is a Time Lord working in a vets practice Grin

He claims to be Siegfried Farnon's brother but it doesn't wash with me!

Funny! We met Peter a few years ago for the third or fourth time and we started talking about All Creatures Great and Small. I said I remembered the episode when Mrs. Hall left and Tristin was left to do the cooking for the vets. Each day he served bangers and mash. Peter couldn't remember that particular episode but did remember fondly having to stick his arm up a cows back end! What a great series.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.48 seconds
9,091,982 unique visits since 8th January 2014