Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 16

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Lucifer: Revelation by Paul Darrow
meegat39
meegat39 wrote:

Henry Eggleton wrote:

Here is a link to my Blog about this Novel http://vidarraven...er-rising/

I had a look at your blog Henry, as I wasn't sure if you were just posting comments as you went along with reading it, but it seems more in the form of a review, so I will read it after reading, if you get my drift!

I've just started the book and I'm probably about 35 pages in. A few initial comments impressions, so far the book seems very similar in style to the last one and I have to say I'm a little disappointed about some of the references/dialogue. At one point a spaceship's computer refers to distance (in space) as leagues, which jarred an awful lot, also Orac said "what are you going to do now, Avon". Now to me that doesn't sound like something Orac would say, it's not his job to care what happens next etc and I don't think he's ever referred to Avon by name before. Such obvious gaffes as this, I would have expected to have been edited out/picked up by Big Finish etc.

After saying all that I am enjoying it and I fully expect it to be as good as the last one.

Hi Henry, I've just finished the book and read your blog and I have to say I agree with everything you say. Here's a few points of my own.

Overall, I loved this book and as Henry says it was fast paced, exciting and hard to put down; I sped through it in about 48 hours (would've been less, but I've been furiously busy)

The good: I liked the way Avon has been given more of a personality in the second novel, ie there is speculation by himself and others about his motivations and what he is now living for, having lost everyone he ever considered important.

I really like the way the key players are all jostling for power and you can never tell who will triumph.

I love all the clever ways (notsomuch the gorey) or strategies people are defeated etc.

I like the way the story ties in nicely with the last one.

I think Paul has gone to more effort in this novel to include the odd reference to the old Blake's 7 universe, ie a mention of Blake and Anna Grant. Del Grant is also in it, but I think that may be because Big Finish have "leaned on him". Apologies if I'm wrong.

What I didn't like

I didn't like hearing distances in space referred to as leagues.

I'm still not comfortable with Avon's blood thirst, sometimes, he could have knocked out the guards etc, instead of killing them.

I was disappointed that Del Grant's role in the story was very minor and he didn't do a lot. I was expecting him to do more and possibly join forces with Avon. I felt Del's character was done a disservice if you know what I mean.

The dialogue with the computers seemed a bit off, especially Orac, with Orac becoming much more human, speculating about what Avon is going to do next and even calling him by name.

I agree with Henry's points about the science not being accurate, but I'm not bothered by it. I see the book more of a fantasy novel and more of a B7 spin-off than B7 novel.

Overall I'd give the book 8/10. One point off for use of the term 'leagues' and for the iffy computer dialogue and one for the lack of development of Del Grant's character.

I think I can predict what will happen in the end, but I'm not about to here.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Henry Eggleton
Well as it is purporting to be a B7 follow up I would appreciate it if he could get the science and original terminology right. As I said in my blog I think his editor would get someone who knows some science to consult with him to get these things correct.
Still glad you enjoyed the book and read my blog.

What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
magnificat
Is it quite a violent book BradPaula?

BradPaula
magnificat wrote:

Is it quite a violent book BradPaula?

Well, we all know that Blake's 7 had violence, but never of the graphic kind. I was a bit surprised to see Avon turned into an amoral killing machine, nothing like he was in the series, and even given that he'd had a rough time in the ensuing years. But to raid a warlord's fuel dump and get away with it and running back to his ship to escape, he spots said warlord in the distance and just because, he shoots him in the head with a high-powered rifle. He had escaped unharmed with the goods and killed the guy wholesale. That is not the Avon I know and I still maintain that the story is not in the Blake's 7 universe which makes it completely opposite of what we know. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

magnificat
Oh right thanks for the info. I've always seen Avon as a moral character (absenting S4) but moral in quite a particular and (to him) logical way.

prosperoproject
I'm intrigued by the comments to date, and a little trepidatious after the first instalment of Lucifer.

My copy arrives next Friday as a birthday present - here's hoping I like it.

As I said after Lucifer - I want so much for it to succeed - here's hoping I'm not disappointed.

BradPaula
prosperoproject wrote:

I'm intrigued by the comments to date, and a little trepidatious after the first instalment of Lucifer.

My copy arrives next Friday as a birthday present - here's hoping I like it.

As I said after Lucifer - I want so much for it to succeed - here's hoping I'm not disappointed.

By all means read the book in good health, prosperoproject. Then if you are so inclined I'm sure we'd all love to hear your comments on the book. Cheers- Paula

Steve Rogerson
Here;s my review of Lucifer: Revelation:

http://wizzley.co...ul-darrow/

JustBrad
Steve Rogerson wrote:

Here;s my review of Lucifer: Revelation:

http://wizzley.co...ul-darrow/

Thanks for sharing. I had many of the same issues with Lucifer that you did. I did not care if the science was a bit dodgy (it's dodgy at time in B7 as well), but I was struck by the lack of emotive descriptors, as though I were reading a newspaper account of events rather than a novel. It has since been pointed out by my better half (Paula, AKA 'The Brains Of The Outfit,' AKA, The Tom Chadbon Fan Club, AKA The Welsh Street Sign Wielding Terror or Harlech) that Paul had written more of a script than a novel. This may explain why folks who listened to Paul read the audio book had a better reaction (in general) to the story than those who read it.

I love Paul, I'd rather see him act, but as you mention, some of these problems could be fixed with better editing and proofing, and I feel he could benefit from having a professional writer act as adviser to help tidy things up. Even Terry Pratchett has an assistant these days.
Edited by JustBrad on 01 July 2014 13:29:45

Travisina
... and here's my review http://www.blakes...icle_id=55

I'm interested in Paula's noting that this was 'more of a script than a novel'. This hadn't occurred to me, but it does seem that the story is dialogue-driven in places, and the the action described in quite a detached way. Especially in the final chapters - but I'll refrain from revealing spoilers here.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

littlesue
I've already warned Lurena about the body count, I'm afraid, and the rather graphic violence.
But as TT said, it is a good story that goes along at a good pace, but it isn't really B7.
By George it isn't!!!
But I do love Mr D's writing style.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
littlesue wrote:

I've already warned Lurena about the body count, I'm afraid, and the rather graphic violence.
But as TT said, it is a good story that goes along at a good pace, but it isn't really B7.
By George it isn't!!!
But I do love Mr D's writing style.

Sue, I said that about the original Lucifer, I haven't read Revelation yet, but I'm expecting something similar... a cracking tale with dubious science and nothing to do with B7 Grin

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

...a cracking tale with dubious science and nothing to do with B7 Grin

That actually sums it up nicely Cool
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

...a cracking tale with dubious science and nothing to do with B7 Grin

That actually sums it up nicely Cool

I've just read your review....I whole heartedly concur with your views.....and I, too, loved the opening scene.
But I would still love to see exactly how Mr Nation had intended his creation to continue....
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Lurena
littlesue wrote:

It's not the body count, it's the graphic violence that worries me.
Once seen such one does not want to be reminded to and makes you worry about the interest of the writer.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Joe Dredd
Why oh why have Big Finish decided to number the spines? They looked much classier without the numbers. I want to shelve my B7 novels with the Revelation series together but it looks ridiculous as number 4 (Anthology) is not next to number 5 (Lucifer)! If they publish any more titles before the last in PD's trilogy, we could potentially have number 5 sat next to number 7 or 8!

President Solvite
Finally finished the book Lucifer: Revelation. After sitting on my shelves for quite a while. (about 3 months I think)

What can I say? I did hit the reset switch but hmm..

Well it is an improvement on the first installment as it is slightly more readable. But the science is still woefully poor. It doesn't feel like Blake's 7. It lacks punctuation a little to frequently for my liking (I bet I missed many more!) The text lacks emotion in many places and to a degree lacks much of the dark humour that you tend to expect from a Blake's 7 story. Orac is nothing like Orac from the series (yes I know the apologists will point out that Avon has upgraded Orac's systems) But if I had a penny every time Orac 'snorted'.. And don't even get me started on sawn-off shotguns

Compared to the first book. This next effort is a improvement in terms of readability.

Is it a good ripping yarn? No not really, in my opinion, its a bit cold where I could find more life in even the most drab Dr Who target novel. A good B7 continuation following on from Terry's vision? Again no not at all. Apart from a few characters from the old series who didn't do much (which was a great disappointment). Grant is a great character and should have been used much more! But anyway moving on.. Not only do we have such goofs as machine guns in space, ignoring many laws of physics there are very few references to the original series at all. In a way I feel like I am reading a 'cheap spin' off series late at night on the 'SCIFY' channel.. A kind of Starcrash to Star Wars kind of moment and this book is certainly no Episode IV or even a prequel/sequel.

Whilst I admire PD's enthusiasm to Blake's 7 and greatly value his love for the fans I really do feel he should leave the writing to people with more experience. PD does have many great ideas and I think any future writing efforts should be a combined effort where someone qualified can do a 'reality check' to;

1 - make it fit with the series better. And remember its not a 'Western'
2 - put a little more 'life' into the text. (correcting those grammatical mistakes)
3 - address the scientific shortfalls (which I might be able to ignore if the text was more fun!)

Listening to many interviews, PD has many really good ideas that I would like to see manifest. However of all the ideas I have encountered, none feature in this book! (so far)

Another gripe is Avon's apparent athleticism. At several points in both this book (and the previous one) He leaps across rooms, easily kills guards (elite troops) covers vast distances etc.. When he supposedly an old man.. (Not quite sure how old, but it is referred to as such in the book.. Is it 20 odd years) Perhaps he's been renewed from Carousel! Pfft

All in all its a slight improvement on the first work. But overall I am still disappointed in Paul's vision so far. As a consolation it definitely would sound better with Paul reading it as an audio book. But for me, there are better PGP fan fics out there (in various Horizon and other publications) in my opinion. Sorry! I am not really difficult to please, just tighten up the 'bolts' some more. Thankyou!

Here's hoping for third time lucky! As I am still planning to buy the next installment, it if could improve some more it could almost become an okay story (if a bit poor on the B7 continuation front!)
Edited by President Solvite on 21 August 2014 19:08:38

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
BradPaula
Agree with you 100% PS. But I personally don't think the third time will be a charm.

I wouldn't have any problem with the book if it was labeled in a range other than Blake's 7. Except for the character of Avon, with mentions to Servalan- it has nothing to do with the series one bit, not even 20 to 30 years on.

And as for Grant, what a waste of a good character, and I'd say that even if I wasn't a big fan of his. I was angry for a week after reading the book.

I do praise Mr. Darrow for his efforts all these long years but please, let someone else write Blake's 7 novels in future. I hate to say it, but whenever I read a book of Mr. D's, I'll be the first to admit that he is a great actor, but unfortunately, I cannot say the same about his writing. -Paula

Spaceship Dispatcher
Here we go then! Lucifer: Revelation, read by Paul Darrow, disk one...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Anniew
Have to agree with all the comments - the Lucifers trilogy is pulp fiction, not brilliantly written but a cracking yarn. I cope with the fact it has nothing much to do with the B7 Universe by imagining Avon writing the stories in some Elba -like banishment, creating the story he'd have liked to star in! I do find the portrait of an increasingly isolated, weary Avon with only Orac for company ( and probably programmed to offer some ersatz companionship) rather touching. I definitely want to know how the Empire has managed to cure arthritus and other old age ills ( though to be fair, I've never had to fight for my life which may be all the cure you need! ). Role on May! And then I'll save up for the audio books.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
9,790,154 unique visits since 8th January 2014