Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
August 2017 Fanfic Challenge
Travisina
Using His Loaf

"Back again, Restal?" asked Mason, entering the details on his data pad. "What was it this time?"

"Stealing," said the boy, a touch of pride in his voice.

The Juvenile Detention Officer rolled his eyes. "I know that. I meant, what did you steal this time?"

"A loaf of bread, sir. I was hungry."

Mason liked the 'sir' but wasn't fooled by the boy's contrition. "You don't look hungry to me."

"That's because I ate it."

The large, thuggish lad behind him sniggered and a quick smile flitted over Restal's face.

Mason sighed inwardly and consulted his notes. Young Fallon, back again for attempted arson. It was going to be a long morning. Time to wipe that smile off Restal's face.

"So, the treatment we gave you last time didn't work. We'd better try something stronger..." he tapped at the data pad. "This should cure your thieving tendencies: thirty days of psychotropic conditioning supplemented with pain-based aversion therapy."

The look of fear that leapt into Restal's eyes wasn't feigned. "No, not that! It hurts!"

"It's supposed to. It's a punishment, as well as treatment..." Mason's voice tailed off and he blinked in astonishment at a gold coin that had magically appeared in the boy's upturned palm.

"A lighter sentence, please?" Restal spoke with quiet urgency, as a second coin joined the first.

Nobody was watching. Fallon had lost interest and was staring out of the barred window. "I'll see what I can do," said Mason, pocketing the coins.

Could have been worse, thought Vila, stretching out on the lower bunk. Could have been a lot worse. Sentence reduced to twenty days, and no pain therapy. He didn't mind the psychotropic conditioning – it didn't work, anyway. He'd even managed to befriend his new cell mate without having to resort to bribery. The big guy wasn't very bright, but would protect him if things got a bit rough in here.

The upper bunk creaked, and Fallon scowled down at him. "All this for a loaf of bread. Was it worth it?"

Vila smiled. He wasn't going to let on that it hadn't been any old loaf of bread, but the centrepiece of a wedding breakfast. Decorated with coloured sugar crystals, flavoured with fruit and spice, it was warm, soft and sweet – the most delicious bread he had ever tasted. And that was before he nearly broke a tooth on a gold coin and discovered the treasure baked deep inside.

"Yeah," he replied, "I reckon it was worth it."

Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
Supply Run

Vila's mouth began watering the moment Cally and Gan reappeared in the teleport bay. The crew took turns to make the extra provisioning runs that supplemented Liberator's plentiful but mostly bland food supplies and they each did their best to find some special treat to bring back too. Avon often returned with some high quality coffee beans, Jenna with cream cakes, and Gan with enormous spicy sausages. Cally usually had a selection of strange and colourful vegetables, native and in-season to whatever world they were able to stop at for revictualing.

This time however, a fantastic aroma filled the air almost the moment they arrived. Gan staggered forward, carrying a large box with another, equally heavy, box stacked on top. He dumped them at the foot of the teleport desk, then began to shrug off his backpack. As he did what Vila liked to think of as his big-man-removing-heavy-backpack-with-straps-that-are-too-tight dance, Vila was able to see Cally and the source of the magnificent smell. It wasn't from the bulging woven bags looped over each forearm, but the great rectangular tray she held in front of her. Vila almost groaned with pleasure as he saw that the tray was packed with freshly-baked loaves of all shapes and sizes.

Vila jumped up to help relieve her of this most delicious of burdens. He wondered if she had some cheese or eggs too as he turned on his most charming smile. "Cally," he said, taking the tray from her, "I always knew you were well bred."

Rainesz
@Travisina-- what an excellent story and you nailed impish young Vila so well, both in personality and dialogue. And the description of the wedding bread at the end... ah!
Vila's response to pain-based aversion therapy: "No, not that! It hurts!" So Vila!

@JD: I love the choices you had each crew member make when they returned with food, (If Blake was so frivolous, what would he pick, do you think?) I was waiting for the pun at the end and of course you didn't disappoint. Wink

Also loved this: "...he did what Vila liked to think of as his big-man-removing-heavy-backpack-with-straps-that-are-too-tight dance."

Joe Dredd
Core Sample

[*** Warning: has a gory bit ***]

Sparkles flashed and jagged in lightning-like patterns as Avon ran the torch beam over the rocky cavern floor. He clicked off the torch and stowed it precisely in a pocket, feeling it weigh down his jacket as he studied the rich veins of crystal with the hand scanner.

Dynamon.

It was all fitting together. The depth of the base and the launch silo, not to mention the further descent to Dorian's cellar, the Seska's access to the scarce dynamon crystals that focused mind energy, and the curious but related properties of said cellar.

Avon looked around, examining the strange blue glow that lit the uneven shards of rock. The phosphorescent lichen was presumably absorbing something from the dynamon, and was therefore presumably the source of the gestalt force that Dorian found could focus human energy in twisted and dangerous ways. Avon was careful not to touch it, or to get too close.

He would have liked to have brought Orac with him, but there was no way to carry it and safely descend the rocky shaft under the trapdoor he found in the remains of the cellar. Undoubtedly the Seska had been down here too, or somewhere like it. The strange rapid healing powers of their mysterious salve surely proved that it was made from the same 'cleansing' moss.

The air was cold and stagnant, and Avon felt a shiver run across the back of his neck. He shrugged further into his leathers, grateful for the warmth they provided. He was also grateful he had decided not to bring Vila. It would have been safer to explore in a team, but he could imagine Vila's complaints about the effort, the cold, and the unsteady and perilous descent; not to mention the lack of scenery and entertainment. Avon remembered the last cave he had been in, then quickly turned his mind away from it.

Pocketing the hand scanner, Avon retrieved his torch and flipped it onto maximum beam. He shone the torch up as far as he could, but he could not see all the way to where he had come from. Shining the beam around the seemingly ever-ascending walls of rock, he was brought in mind of Gunn-Sar's reference to a bottomless gorge. For all he knew, this could be it.

For all he knew, somewhere around here could be the body of --

Avon felt the hairs on his neck prickle again. He leapt to one side, narrowly escaping the rough sword that sliced through the air where he'd just been standing. He whirled around to see what looked like a zombified Hommik hulking towards him.

"Who disturbs the realm of Marquin?" roared the strange figure, leaping towards him with unexpected speed. It was large and barrel-chested but looked equally worn out and hollow.

The creature that had been Marquin ran towards him, slashing viciously with its evil sword, driving Avon further into the cavern. Avon knew that if it pushed him back too far, he would lose his bearings. The ground was too rocky to show any footprints. The lack of strong light, combined with the rapidity with which they were covering ground - not to mention the need to concentrate on not being decapitated - made it hard to take in anything that might serve as a landmark.

Avon's mouth drew into a hard line. He should have told someone other than Orac where he was going. More to the point, he should have brought a gun. This might just be the one time that curiosity killed the computer expert, he thought.

Avon dodged another blow, leaping a narrow channel full of stalgmites, their tapering columns ending in deadly-looking points. The creature followed. Avon knew he had to take decisive action immediately.

Bringing the torch up high, Avon shone it directly in Marquin's face on full beam. Having grown used to the dull glow of the lichen, the brute was blinded by the dazzling glare. As it staggered in a daze, Avon hurled the torch as hard as he could, right at Marquin's forehead.

The heavy torch whirled end over end, its beam flashing over the cavern floor and then into the dark as it spun. Crack! It hit Marquin right between the eyes. Avon saw the darkened figure stagger, teetering at the edge of the low channel they had just traversed. All of a sudden Marquin fell backwards into the pit and out of sight. There was a sickening wet sound accompanied by an eerie scream, then silence.

Avon made his way carefully to the edge and looked down into the shoulder-height pit. He could see enough to tell Marquin had speared himself on one of the stalagmites. The torch shone nearby, giving away its position on the floor of the pit.

"Well now, that's the second time you've lost a fight by falling into a ravine, Marquin."

Avon climbed down into the channel, retrieved the hardy torch and clambered out again. He turned the beam on Marquin to make certain he was no longer a threat. After all, if the power of the dynamon-infused lichen had allowed him to survive his terrible fall into this enormous cavern, then there was every chance that he'd shake off these injuries too.

A quick survey showed Avon he needn't have worried. The vicious natural spike had practically torn Marquin in half.

Looking no longer than necessary, Avon retraced his steps as best he could and quickly found his climbing gear. Fastening the harness around himself, he began the slow ascent out of the chasm and back to Xenon base.

- - - : | - - | : - - -

The crew were fascinated to hear of Avon's adventure, though Dayna was equally cross that he hadn't told them where he was going. Tarrant realised the truth and told Dayna that Avon wouldn't have wanted her to be reminded of her time trapped in the cellar. Avon said nothing, neither confirming nor denying the allegation.

"It's poetic justice what happened to Marquin, though," said Vila, handing Avon a glass of wine. "After all, they do say half an oaf is better than one."

Anniew
Travisina smashing Vila story.

Joe you're really spoiling us...two great stories and I love your reasoning in the cellar story. Brilliant.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Well, here goes. Our chocolate adventure, running alongside that story arc of Mr Nation and Mr Boucher is fast reaching its Terminal.
I've always wondered what it was that Avon thought Blake had found.......................
And Lurena has provided yet another piccie

Bread and Circuses

“Bread?”
“Yes Ma’am. That is what he demanded.”
“He demanded bread? Is this a joke?”
The decorative staff officer shuffled uneasily, “I’m not too sure. He does seem to be an odd character.”
Servalan considered that. She had met several odd characters in the past, “Perhaps I should see this gentleman personally so that I can find out exactly what he means.”
“Yes ma’am, I’ll see to it.”
The man exited her office, leaving Servalan to mull over the last few days.
Her plan to cause unease between Teal and Vandor had proved unsuccessful, partly because he had seen through her deceit.
The decorative officer returned.
“This is the gentleman, ma’am.”
“Good, leave us.”
“Ma’am?”
“I said leave us.”
The odd character smiled as the officer left.
Servalan found him to be a quite repulsive individual. A large, well built man who didn’t seem to possess a neck, but did seem to enjoy brandishing the silver topped cane in his left hand.
“I understand that you may be able to assist me,” she began.
“Depends, don’t it?”
“Quite, What do you know about these?” She placed a family pack of Revels on the desk in front of the man.
“As much as you and that other bloke whose friends tried to rip me off. He won’t do that again in a hurry, I can tell you,” the man said, casually hitting the palm of his right hand with the silver topped cane, “The word is that them Revels is being made by some new company out in the depths of the galaxy. Whoever it is will be very rich soon. It’s a great little earner.”
“I see.”
“I can find out for you, for a small consideration; just a little bread.”
“Bread?”
He rubbed his thumb and finger together, “Y’know, dosh, ready’s, moola, lucre…”
“Oh,” Servalan smiled, “You mean Credits?”
“Exactly,” the man smiled back.
“Why didn’t you say so in the first place? But your kind offer is not necessary; just the fact that there is someone out there able to make a great deal of money will suffice. You have already planted the seed; I will see it bear fruit…”
“Eh?”
“You may go.”
The man shrugged, then bowed his head and left the office, his silver tipped cane tapping the floor as he went.
Servalan sat back in her chair.
Avon was aware of these Family packs of Revels; all it needed now was for the messages to start.
How would he be able to resist the chance to become wealthy, especially if it were Blake who was the one to offer him that chance?
Yes, greed had always been his downfall, now Servalan could expect to see his complete and utter destruction.
She reached for the pack of Revels and carefully opened it.
“Let the sport begin,” she murmured as she took one of the Revels from the pack and popped it into her mouth.
She smiled.
It was her favourite centre, “Hm, I love coffee…..”

i.imgur.com/hLhHx8X.jpg
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

mrsbookmark
love these stories...
travisina, you have Vila nailed. And JD's story with Vila's pun at the end. LOL
And I love the Servalan entry, Sue. I always love a Servalan story.

Anniew
Sue that's a lovely addition to the revels saga and so well characterised. I do enjoy reading your stories.

littlesue
Anniew wrote:

Sue that's a lovely addition to the revels saga and so well characterised. I do enjoy reading your stories.

Thank you Anniew...it's keeping me sane at the mo.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
Oh Sue, I do understand that. Big hugs my love.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.32 seconds
9,931,217 unique visits since 8th January 2014