Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Spoils of War just been released
daro2096
Big Finish in just the last few minutes(as writing this) has just released Spoils of War. If you pre-ordered this you can download it right now.

dragonq
Thank you. I've been hanging out for this!

daro2096
dragonq wrote:

Thank you. I've been hanging out for this!

You are welcome. Just downloaded it myself. Going to bed now and will listen to it when I get up. Why am I going to bed at 9am I hear you ask? Well my body clock is all shot to pieces, I have tried to get my body clock adjusted by the best in the business but it won't stay adjusted.

dragonq
Anyone listened to it all yet? I've managed the first two stories, curious to know what others make if it.

I'm still getting used to replacement Dayna. Yasmin is quite different to Josette; she's not attempting to imitate her, and I'm having to struggle against the impulse to translate the way she's delivered the lines into the way I imagine Josette might have spoken them. Is not like the computer characters who have very specific vocal quirks and are heavily processed anyway.

I've a few other concerns where I feel they've missed the mark, but mostly to do with scripts and sound production rather than acting.

Travisina
dragonq wrote:

Anyone listened to it all yet? I've managed the first two stories, curious to know what others make if it.

I'm still getting used to replacement Dayna. Yasmin is quite different to Josette; she's not attempting to imitate her, and I'm having to struggle against the impulse to translate the way she's delivered the lines into the way I imagine Josette might have spoken them. Is not like the computer characters who have very specific vocal quirks and are heavily processed anyway.

I've a few other concerns where I feel they've missed the mark, but mostly to do with scripts and sound production rather than acting.

Yes, I've just posted my review here - Spoils of War.
It was quite a marathon to get it written promptly - luckily I'm not in the office today!

TL-DR:
My initial reaction to Yasmin was that she sounds older than 18-year-old Josette, but as everyone else sounds older too, it kind of works.
I had a couple of minor niggles about certain script lines, but I loved the sound production.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Rainesz
I have the downloaded version and I'm waiting for when I can sit down and finally do some artwork again (I'm still unpacking from my move) which is how I best enjoy Big Finish audios. But you wrote a fantastic review, Travisina—and I can't wait to sit down and finally enjoy it at the drawing table. Grin
Edited by Rainesz on 20 July 2017 07:56:05

daro2096
Travisina wrote:

[quote]
TL-DR:
My initial reaction to Yasmin was that she sounds older than 18-year-old Josette, but as everyone else sounds older too, it kind of works.
I had a couple of minor niggles about certain script lines, but I loved the sound production.

You mean like Tarrant saying he is going to the bridge when it should be the flightdeck? Surprised nobody during recording tried to correct that?

I felt Zen didn't have much to do in these 4 stories.

I felt the stories were not that great in this box set but then I suppose that was because some of them were originally wrote with Blake in mind.

Joe Dredd
daro2096 wrote:
You mean like Tarrant saying he is going to the bridge when it should be the flightdeck? Surprised nobody during recording tried to correct that?

Groan! Not again! Cavan Scott said they wouldn't make that mistake again, but I suppose he's not there to address it.

One of the many attractions of B7 is that it's NOT Star Trek.

MLPasterisk
daro2096 wrote:

Travisina wrote:

[quote]
TL-DR:

You mean like Tarrant saying he is going to the bridge when it should be the flightdeck?

Yes, that made me grind my teeth as well. Sad

Anniew
I've only listened to Close Enough so far. Excellent Cally/Avon dynamic and beautifully performed. I've noticed that Paul seems to rein back whenever he's given something interesting to play and it works so well. I found the main plot device a bit Hackneyed and implausible but the interplay between Cally and Avon made up for it. My trouble with the girls voices was I couldn't at first distinguish Yasmin as Dayna from the female protagonist so I had to loop back to work out what was going on. I Liked the energy she brought to the role. Chuffed that the scientist was played by my old drama buddy from University Keith Drinkel who I haven't seen for years and years- perhaps we'll catch up at a convention!!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

MLPasterisk
Box set arrived today. Surprisingly compact with five discs packed in a double CD case, inside a cardboard slipcase.

Listened to the first three stories so far.
Overall I enjoyed them although the small size of the casts is noticeable, leading to Vila and Tarrant being in one story while Cally and Avon are in another.

On that basis they probably could do stories set durng the first two seasons (ie with Jenna and Travis), as long as they don't feature Blake or Gan.

The first story establishes Yasmin Bannerman very strongly as the new Dayna, which is just as well as she has a pretty minor role in the next two.
Edited by MLPasterisk on 21 July 2017 13:53:20

daro2096
MLPasterisk wrote:

Box set arrived today. Surprisingly compact with five discs packed in a double CD case, inside a cardboard slipcase.

Listened to the first three stories so far.
Overall I enjoyed them although the small size of the casts is noticeable, leading to Vila and Tarrant being in one story while Cally and Avon are in another.

On that basis they probably could do stories set durng the first two seasons (ie with Jenna and Travis), as long as they don't feature Blake or Gan.

The first story establishes Yasmin Bannerman very strongly as the new Dayna, which is just as well as she has a pretty minor role in the next two.

Can you upload pictures? I only purchased the download.

President Solvite
Joe Dredd wrote:

daro2096 wrote:

Groan! Not again! Cavan Scott said they wouldn't make that mistake again, but I suppose he's not there to address it.

One of the many attractions of B7 is that it's NOT Star Trek.

I'm afraid this is why I have not been too enamoured with some of the BF B7 efforts. Too many of their productions lack that essential bit of canonical QA. Not to mention typographic and continuity checks, it's silly little mistakes like those that irritate fans and detracts from what could be quite good stories.
Edited by President Solvite on 21 July 2017 18:52:59

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
MLPasterisk
Solus is the best of the new bunch. A Liberator based story in which everyone gets something to do.

Inevitably, some of the actors voices sound older than they did in the series, so there's a bit of suspension of disbelief required there.

What's amazing is that Michael Keating still sounds exactly like Vila. Smile

Rainesz
So far I've just been able to listen to "Close Enough", which I thought was excellent. The banter between Avon and Cally was especially well-written, and yes, I love it that Paul as Avon was more subdued so that the focus was more on Jan as Cally being the heroic, forceful one. I loved the sound effects of the "thought-voices" and thought it was one of the more unique B7 audios I've heard so far.

Can't wait to listen to the other stories. Grin

Bounty
Solus was the high point for me, but excellent set all around. A happy medium between full cast and chronicle, very smart move to only focus on a few characters at a time.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
9,183,591 unique visits since 8th January 2014