Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 21

· Rebels Active: 1
daro2096

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
July 2017 Fanfic Challenge
Joe Dredd
Cuckold on the Nest
With apologies...

Tarrant left behind.

Vila left behind.

Avon left behind.

Orac left behind.

Ever since Soolin give me razor and find out Og with no body hair look like Brad Pitt with horns crossed with George Clooney with bumpy nose, girls happy me on board.

Me sure those fellows will be happy on Malodar.

Okay Slave, set course for Virn.

Og no dummy.

Joe Dredd
Thank you for the kind words Annie and Travisina.

Anniew wrote:
Though ( minor point) I'm pretty sure Zen would NEVER say " oh Blow".....or would He...? Mmmm)

I couldn't think what Zen should say, but now I realise that perhaps instead of +INFORMATION+, Zen might say +CONSTERNATION!+

littlesue
All these stories and only 6 days into the month.
Joe...brilliant poems and stories. Is there no limit to your talent?
And Huggy...to bring in THAT Census. Very good.
Now I really must get my thinking cap on.................................
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
THE NEW CREW MEMBER

There was a knock from the outside of Liberator’s airlock.

Avon sighed. “Do I have to do this?”

“You know she won’t come in unless we do it!”, said Vila enthusiastically.

Avon couldn’t work out why she couldn't use the teleport like everybody else.

Another knock. Cally, Vila, Tarrant and Dayna started chanting. “There’s somebody at the door! There’s somebody at the door!”

Avon relented. “There’s somebody at the door”, he muttered.

“Hello brats”, growled the green-faced witch, as she strode onto the Flight Deck, looking resplendent in her hat and cape. Cally and Vila hid behind their consoles, while Tarrant and Dayna disappeared from sight behind the sofa.

Avon started to plot where he was going to ‘accidentally’ leave her behind.

In memory of Carol Lee Scott aka Grotbags

Edited by trevor travis on 07 July 2017 13:34:45

Rainesz
All excellent stories this month! And all of you are so quick on the draw. (I'm still trying to get caught up on last months as well. Not moved in completely yet!)
Grin

Anniew
Joe I love
Consternation!!
. Edit the fic. That must be preserved in the archive!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Hugbot
You are on a roll, Joe! Loved your laugh-out-loud funny 'left behind' stories (hilarious as usual) and you beautiful, lyrical poem. It's always great to discover a new facet of my fellow contributors.
Lovely tribute, TT; although unfortunately I never heard of Grotbags. When I first read your story, I was a little puzzled but the RIP Grotbags thread put me an the right track. Thanks to your story I now have at least a vague idea of her.

President Solvite
The Eyes Have It

Starkiller’s Bar was a popular venue for Space Command officers to rest and relax between assignments. Some six months after his encounter with Blake, Space Commander Travis finds himself there, brutally scarred, with an enhanced cybernetic eye along with his fearsome reputation ensuring that he is always guaranteed a seat and table in his preferred quiet corner.

Positioning himself with his back to the viscast screen where the Federation News Service was outlining the results of the latest population census. Travis finds solace in the hubbub of activity and drink. It also gives him a chance to re-charge his new cybernetic eye, which grants superior vision and sense into the near infrared and heat wavelengths. However, the eye is still in experimental stage and needs periodic re-charging which involves removing from his eye socket and placing into a portable charging cradle at regular intervals.

Whilst Travis was deep in thought, a drunk young lieutenant straight out of the academy and slightly worse for wear knocks his table whilst passing, dislodging Travis’ artificial eye from its docking cradle which starts it rolling towards the edge of the table.

Leaping from his chair like a coiled spring, with a murderous glare on his scarred face Travis knocks the unfortunate officer to the ground. In Travis’ peripheral vision, he notes his artificial eye rolling off the edge of the table and falling into the hand of an attractive space captain.

Switching back to the matter at hand. Travis hauls the young officer up to his feet keeping his hands in a vice like grip around his throat. Enraged, Travis tells the lieutenant that he had better watch himself staring him down with his one remaining eye. The stricken officer heaves a sigh of relief as the Captain says softly in a calm tone. “I have replaced your eye in the charging cradle.”

In a flash, Travis’ murderous rage evaporates and he clicks back in his precisely trained disciplined mode and his glare eases , releasing the terrified lieutenant with a terse “Get Out!”. The Lieutenant is only too eager to oblige and makes for a speedy exit.

Travis then turns to his new companion, quietly noting that she is wearing the insignia of Fleet Captain along with the colour bars making her Wing commander of the 21st attack flotilla.

“Thanks,” Travis mutters and then he gathers himself. After all, they were both senior echelon officers and certain protocols must be observed. “Please take a seat, what can I get you to drink?”

“Fleet Captain Drake” she purrs as she takes a seat. “Well Travis, I must say I am a little surprised, courtesy from such a renowned field officer like yourself. Especially since your campaigns on Ouros, Zircasta and Earth. A man of reputation indeed, a true instrument of the service.”

“Well now,” Travis responds “it’s like this, you just happened to catch my eye!”
Edited by President Solvite on 09 July 2017 14:31:19

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Rainesz
@President Solvite
And... rimshot! https://www.youtu...CdVTCDdEwI
Grin Ha ha!
Loved that. Great Travis characterization.

littlesue
PS.. to quote a certain Basil Brush..Boom, Boom!

Anniew
Mr President...great little story and what a punch line!

Rainesz
I've made up with my ficlet absence last month with another overlong one. (Sorry.)

One of Our Swans Is Missing

"Liberator? Avon? Cally? ... Anyone?"

It had been seven days—and days on Cygnus Messier Three were as long as weeks on other planets. Vila knew it was bound to happen eventually: his fellow crewmates would have had enough of his fool's act and decided they were better off without him. He found himself marooned and destitute on this otherwise wealthy little planet (that was also secretly supporting the rebellion.)

It was all his own fault, of course, and all because of the stupid swans. He had never seen swans before—he had only ever heard fairy tales about them during his childhood on Earth. So when he saw a small fleet of them sailing idyllically down the river of the affluent settlement where the Liberator crew had dealings, he was enchanted. Grinning, fascinated, he wandered off to follow the fairy tale birds; with their long arched necks they seemed more like small elegant boats.

The Liberator's crew had passed on their information and were assured the Federation had no idea that the luxury settlement was financing the "terrorists." Then they departed, and in doing so, forgot Vila.

Conveniently, he later thought.

After watching the swans, he returned to their rendezvous point and found no one waiting for him on that first day (a day that was as long as a week). He was extremely annoyed, to say the least.

On Day Two, after repeated attempts to communicate with the Liberator and getting not even static, he began to panic.

On Day Three, he became depressed and self-pitying. Fighting tears, he had found solace in picking the pockets of drunk business people in the marketplace and then buying himself food (and some very necessary alcohol.)

On Day Four, he had a hangover and a vendetta. He wanted to take it out on the swans. He performed magic tricks for tourists in the square for additional credits, then followed the river once more, looking for his nemeses.

On Day Five, he made a discovery. He sadly had no one with which to share it, but people gave strange looks to the scruffy little fellow carrying about a robot swan.

On Day Six, he dismantled the swan and recognized Federation surveillance devices within it. So—this luxurious little town was not safe from the Federation after all. He desperately needed to warn them.

But first, another drink to celebrate his findings.

Or several...

On Day Seven, Vila heard explosions in the town and ran to hide. And it was under a fallen bridge that he finally heard the most wonderful voice in the universe (and yes, it shocked him that he even thought this.)

"Where the hell have you been, you complete moron? We've been looking for you for weeks and the Federation has put a block on extraplanetary communications from Cynus Messier Three. I would have left you where you are but the others insisted you were a liability down there with our allies."

"Ah, why didn't you?" Vila said into his teleport bracelet, wincing at the sound of nearby Federation artillery. "I'm having such a wonderful—"

He finished the sentence standing in the teleport room of the Liberator.

"—time down here. Oh, and I brought you a swan. You're welcome."

He thrust the dismantled robot into Avon's arms. "I need a drink and a bath, in no special order," he grumbled, stomping off in disgust. "Thanks for taking your time."

Avon wrinkled his nose. "Bathing should be your first priority. Please."

Now he understood the cause of sudden attack on Cynus Messier Three. True to the warnings of the others, Vila had indeed been a liability to the settlement.

One of their swans had gone missing.
Edited by Rainesz on 14 July 2017 07:10:00

Joe Dredd
Kerr A-swann goes to Cygnet Alpha!

Travisina
Rainesz, You've won my heart for combining both prompts AND the historical swans AND my fave character all rolled into one entertaining ficlet! Very well done Smile

@President S - Unless I'm missing something, I can't see how your story responds to the prompts? But it has a wonderfully groan-worthy punchline and features a nice portrayal of Travis.

@JD - you're really on a roll, super contributions.

@TT - ah, nice tribute to Grotbags.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

littlesue
I've spotted two suspicious swans on a small man made lake up at our local out of town shopping centre...should I be worried??

trevor travis
TWO-MAN MISSION

“Teleport now, Vila!”, commanded Avon.

Vila operated the controls. Avon had not spotted how he had altered them.

Avon disappeared from view, while Vila poured out a glass of Dorian’s finest wine. He gulped it down quickly. He needed all the courage he could muster for what he was about to do.

“Vila, these are not the correct teleport co-ordinates”. Avon’s voice crackled through, barely audible.

“I know, Avon. I know”, whispered Vila under his breath.

“Vila, speak up, I can’t hear you. I appear to be in a cave. Something has gone wrong with the teleport. Teleport me back up now.”

This time Vila was louder. He wanted to make sure Avon heard this. “Avon, what happened a month ago today?”

“Vila, this is no time for riddles. Teleport now! The oxygen is very restricted – I have maybe an hour, maybe less.”

“A little time for you to contemplate your actions. You really are very arrogant, Avon! A two-man mission. With me. An exact month after Malodaar. I told you I’d never forget it!”

“Vila, listen”. There wasn’t panic in Avon’s voice. But there was a sense of urgency. “There was no point in both of us dying. And once I found the way for both of us to survive, I took it.”

“All you needed to do was ask Orac the correct question. But no, once that treacherous, heartless computer sold me down the river, you were prepared to murder me. I dealt with him, and now I’m going to deal with you. Goodbye Avon!”

“Vila, don’t be a fool…” Vila cut off the transmission.

“Vila, what happened? You look terrible.” Soolin offered him a drink. He accepted.

“I barely escaped. I was forced to leave Avon behind. I think he’s dead. But I did manage to get the crystals.”

They bought his story. Hook, line and sinker.

Vila returned to his quarters on Xenon Base. The main bulb failed to come on, and the dull emergency lighting flickered on in its place. The door wouldn’t open to exit back out into the corridor. Just as well he something in his pocket that would fix that. He could work in near darkness.

He heard a noise behind him, and turned around. A familiar figure in the gloom.

“But you’re dead…”

“Once more, the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

“Avon, how did you survive?”

“I was suspicious ever since Orac was destroyed. I thought you were probably the culprit. I just needed proof. All the time you thought you were leading me into a trap when it was actually the other way around.”

“Avon, what’s that in your hand?”

“Remember what you once said to me on Fosforon? ‘When Avon holds out the hand in friendship’… you know the rest.”

Vila entered the Xenon Base shower room, and washed all sign of the blood away. He could feel the bruises all over him, after the desperate struggle. That had been close. Too close.

But, this time, the rumours were not exaggerated.
Edited by trevor travis on 14 July 2017 09:01:54

Joe Dredd
TT, that's not what I meant when I said it was Hammer Time!

Rainesz
Oh, TT, that's very dark (and well-done). I admit to having hoped Vila was just teaching Avon a lesson and would bring him back up with a new understanding of each other (I'm sadly an optimist), but you took it down a deadlier and probably more believable route.

Rainesz
Travisina wrote:

Rainesz, You've won my heart for combining both prompts AND the historical swans AND my fave character all rolled into one entertaining ficlet! Very well done Smile

Thank you, Travisina! Grin

I was originally going to try to do something with the fairy tale "The Six Swans" but I couldn't fit the other prompts in. So the basis of this was just a memory of walking my dog near a lake in New Jersey (where I grew up) and seeing wild swans for the first time. Whether any of them were robots, I have no idea. Wink

Anniew
Nice one Rainez.

TT wow!

JD comedy and poetry...am..az...ing!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,900,992 unique visits since 8th January 2014