Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
June 2017 Ficlet Challenge
littlesue
I'm just catching up with this thread...I was out on the high seas when the prompt was announced, so I have some thinking to do.
I'm really impressed with the stories so far; Huggy, you put me to shame with your command of English, Brad brilliant, as always, TT very clever, Anniew, a little tear from here.
I don't know about you, but I so wish B7 had been around when I had to compose a story for my English exams back in the 60s...those prompts back then would have been soooo easy to write for.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Hugbot
After the silly homophone story now a serious ‘dune’ ficlet featuring Dayna:

To Kill a Sitting Bird

Hiding behind the dunes, Avon, Dayna, Soolin and Tarrant, accompanied by local rebel leader Lynx, watched Commissioner Sleer’s sand skimmer approach through the narrow wadi. The desert of this backwater colony was an ideal place to set up an ambush, and killing Sleer would free the whole sector. The Federation officials and military commanders loathed her and had their own agendas. Instead of avenging her death, they would immediately be at each others throats, thus giving the rebels an opportunity to strike.

The hidden explosives went off and hurled the skimmer around, turning the shiny vehicle into a battered wreck. Its only passenger was trapped in the wreckage, struggling to get free. She froze when the shadows of the rebels fell onto her.

It was the moment that Dayna had been looking for since her father’s death. She aimed her gun at Servalan’s forehead. But no, that would have been too merciful. Hal had suffered when Servalan murdered him, and now she had to suffer. Dayna lowered the gun a little, pointing it towards Servalan’s stomach.

Three shots cut through the silence of the desert. Three bullets cut into Servalan’s body.

People say that revenge is a dish best served cold. But in reality, it does not taste sweet. Dayna could not feel any triumph as she watched Servalan coughing blood, panting and gasping, convulsing and wincing in pain. Suddenly her enemy ceased to be a hated murderess and became a pitiful fellow human. Avon’s and Lynx’s stern faces betrayed no emotion, but Soolin eventually turned around while Tarrant used the opportunity to monitor the environment. Fortunately, they had left Vila aboard Scorpio.

Dayna could have ended it and given her the coup de grâce but she feared that it might make her look weak, and the others did not dare to interfere with her revenge. So they all just waited and stared with increasing horror at Servalan. A slight breeze whispered above the desert, punctuated only by the moans and gasps of the dying woman.

It took Servalan seventeen endless and terrible minutes to die. Witnessing her demise did not give them satisfaction; it was just revolting. When it was finally over, Dayna did not feel cleansed or content as she had expected but soiled and empty.

Suddenly a voice emerged from the damaged radio in the skimmer. ‘It is a pity that the video channel is not working, but I guess this was your doing, Lynx.’

The sound was distorted, but it was unmistakably her voice.

‘You didn’t really expect me to go on this journey without taking precautions? Although you only killed my clone, I have to judge this crime as an attempt on my life. I have to make an example. You just signed your world’s death warrant, Lynx.’

While the others were still trying to grasp the meaning of the message, Avon already raised his arm. ‘Bring us up, Vila!’ he commanded.

Lynx stared at him in desparation. ‘You can’t do that’, he protested. ‘You can’t leave us alone!’

‘I’m afraid that is the only thing we can do. I am sorry.’

The next moment, the four of them had vanished, leaving only Lynx in the dunes next to the wreck of the skimmer and the dead body.

Fire rained from the sky.

Hugbot
@Annie: Oops, I nearly missed your story! What a wonderfully atmospheric story and intense psychological portrait! A great achievement!

Travisina
Fantastic stories, Annie and Hugbot - really intense!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Wow the stories have been good. Hugbot's word play, chilling Shrinker story and the horrific death of Servalan ( ah no it's a clone) B7 story. TT andJoe great humour... clever, clever Brad. Thanks for your kind comments on my piece.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Anniew
The long, slanting downpours had stopped overnight and she woke to sunlight so bright and hot that the puddles on the stone flags outside sizzled and dried in its heat. Breakfast was especially nice, a soft white roll instead of the usual gritty coarse slice but she was too excited to do more than pick at it. The others were the same. They could all see the white dresses hung up in a line and the flower garlands that each would wear.

She didn't mind the cold water she was given to wash in, nor the tug on her hair by an impatient helper who ruthlessly teased out the tangles until her eyes watered and her face was framed by a shining waterfall of gold. Her dress was cool, silky to the touch, fastened at the back with buttons made from pearly shells. She was handed flat soled shoes which felt strange on feet accustomed to go unshod and pinched her little toes but she didn't complain.

She didn't need the curt instruction to sit still until called and not, under any circumstances, to get dirty. She felt like a goddess and goddesses were clean and unmarked. She sat still for the longest time but then a pulling and tingling in her bladder warned her that she needed to pee. She tried to ignore it but the fullness and pressure grew until at last she was forced to raise her hand. Surprisingly this aroused no more than a tightening of the lips on the stony face of the nearest helper. Her dress was pulled off, she was hurried to the outside privy and relieved herself, taking care not to get any wee on her shoes. Then she was hurried back inside, re-dressed and her hair brushed roughly. She sat quietly again, biting back the tears that threatened, surreptitiously rubbing the sore place on her arm where her helper had gripped her too tightly.

One by one the girls were called. A helper instructed them to stand, thrust the garland of flowers on their shining heads and sent them into the chamber. The doors closed behind each one with a bang.

Now there was only her and the helpers left in the room and she allowed herself to wonder what the ceremony would be like. All the girls went through it when they were seven, except those who were blemished in some way. No one knew what happened to them but it was whispered that they were sent away to be changed so they were no longer ugly. She hoped that had happened to her twin, the one with the ugly birthmark on her neck and that she would find her again one day. She had loved her despite her mark - the outward sign of her inner corruption, or so a helper had said.

The pretty girls did not come back either. They went to new families, the June Brides, the lucky ones. She was so glad she was pretty, though she did miss Aylin and although she really wanted a new family she was a little afraid that she was being disloyal to the one that had disappeared suddenly and without warning. She hoped her new family lived on a farm like the one she had grown up on. Perhaps there would be Conerells she could feed and she could stroke their soft orange fur.

The helpers were relaxing, passing around the banga leaves which they chewed on special occasions. She stared at the rough, whitewashed wall, counting the flies that landed on it.

Then her name, "Soolin Linquist." She scrambled to her feet and her garland, hastily crammed on, scratched her head. She went through the door.

"And my life changed forever, " Soolin remembered as she pulled her hair into braids so tight that her scalp felt sore. Loose hair belonged to the little June Bride in her white dress who had learned that night that the Universe didn't hear you, no matter how hard or how long you cried.

Travisina
OMG Annie, that's powerful. Read it during my lunch break, couldn't stop thinking about it all afternoon!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Rainesz
So many excellent stories and I am so behind here! (That's a long story in itself, probably one as long as my overlong ficlets.) Pfft
I need to catch up.

I'm (so far) stumped for a story myself this month. Sad

Hugbot
Rainesz wrote:

Avon discovering the mysteries of the kitchen floor crater - ? (Sorry!)

Rainesz
Hugbot wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

Avon discovering the mysteries of the kitchen floor crater - ? (Sorry!)

Ha ha ha! But I would have to get "dune", a partnership/wedding ceremony or Soolin in there as well!

(For anyone wondering, I had to be displaced from my apartment this week because they had to tear up my kitchen floor to do some repair work on underground pipes. So, Hugbot's right: I have a crater in my kitchen. Sad )

I can see if I can turn this kitchen crater into a story though. Wink It's got a creature living in it... They need to fill it up with a lot of sand... Avon turns down the creature's marriage proposal... Soolin is beside herself with amusement...
Edited by Rainesz on 16 June 2017 15:06:44

Anniew
It's got a creature living in it... They need to fill it up with a lot of sand... Avon turns down the creature's marriage proposal... Soolin is beside herself with amusement...
. Ok the twist has to be that Avon is captured and dressed in white with a flower headdress as The June Bride. The creature is female but in her world the males take on what is in our society, traditional female roles. Tarrant and Soolin rescue him in the nick of time at the altar.

littlesue
Anniew wrote:

It's got a creature living in it... They need to fill it up with a lot of sand... Avon turns down the creature's marriage proposal... Soolin is beside herself with amusement...
. Ok the twist has to be that Avon is captured and dressed in white with a flower headdress as The June Bride. The creature is female but in her world the males take on what is in our society, traditional female roles. Tarrant and Soolin rescue him in the nick of time at the altar.

One wet keyboard here!!!!GrinGrin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Rainesz
littlesue wrote:

Anniew wrote:

One wet keyboard here!!!!GrinGrin

Anniew, I'm liking how your mind works. Wink

Ha ha ha!! I needed that mental image to cheer me up today.

Hugbot
One of the great things of being writers is that we can turn our daily disasters into stories.

At first, I wanted to say sorry for spilling the beans about your private mishaps, Raine, but obviously this has led to cheering you up! Mission accomplished.

Joe Dredd
Rainesz wrote:
I'm (so far) stumped for a story myself this month. :(

Um... how about the story of Gan & his fiancée's June wedding - except it never happens due to certain tragic events?

- or -

Pair Bond - Vila reveals to the crew that the troopers on Sardos gave Servalan to him by actually marrying them. He is Mr Servalan!

- or -

Dayna's childhood playing in the sand dunes of Sarren... her reflections recalled as they lay out their towels on a beach on Del 10 (until Avon hears a clue about Blake's whereabouts and makes them all pack up again).

- or -

The garrison on Albian has been under siege for some time. Short of fuel, the troopers have dug down to an underground coal - er, selsium ore - seam under the base. They've had to rip up the kitchen to do it, leaving a crater. They do all the digging dressed in bridesmaid's outfits, in a desperate attempt to survive and to fit the theme.

Rainesz
Ha ha ha! Joe, all of those story premises are fantastic. I would have been far more amused had the maintenance guys working on my kitchen-crater been wearing bridesmaid outfits. Grin

I'll see if I can spin a story about a hole in a kitchen/galley. Or just an annoying crater that backs up everyone's plumbing.

Unfortunately my brain this month is stubbornly staying in Damage Control mode and all I can think about is how to move all my Stuff™ to a new place so I can feel all situated and creative again. Pfft
Edited by Rainesz on 18 June 2017 01:39:33

Joe Dredd
I hope it all works out for you, Rainesz. Don't worry about writing fics!

Anniew
Oh Rainez..I am sorry..what an awful thing to happen.

Anniew
“Pull that veil down, Avon,” Cally instructed tersely. “And Tarrant, I can see at least 30 cms of hairy leg. Change with Vila, quickly.”

Vila looked up from his seat on the floor where he was trying valiantly, but in vain, to cram his foot into a white satin shoe at least two sizes too small.

“ I can't change Cally, “ he protested.” If I wear anything shorter it'll show my feet. White satin and brown boots isn't a good look.”

“That dress is much too long for you.” Cally sometimes wondered how she had evolved from a feisty freedom fighter to a harassed nurse maid, but now wasn't really the time to go into that. “Tarrant’s dress, I mean the one Tarrant is wearing, will be fine. You don't want to trip yourself up if we have to run for it.”

An uglier set of brides, it was difficult to imagine. Only Avon fitted his dress but even through the veil, his distinctive nose and his even more distinctive snarl marred what might otherwise have been a rather pretty appearance. Tarrant looked like a beanpole in a frothy number that flopped miserably around the chest area but he had indignantly refused Cally’s suggestion that he stuffed it with socks. Vila… Well all Cally could hope was that the miners were so desperate for company that they wouldn't notice the three day stubble.

A thump from the closet announced that the real June Brides were beginning to come round, but the doors to the changing room and the closet were thick so the noises the women were making were unlikely to be heard from outside.

“Right.” Cally stood decisively and straightened the folds of her simple, Grecian- inspired outfit. At least one of the brides had taste and she was banking that she looked sufficiently alluring to attract all eyes and allow her companions to pass unnoticed in the throng. She passed a critical eye over them.

“ Avon, at least try to relax and stop fidgeting. Where's your bouquet?”

“ I suffer from hay fever, Cally. I hardly think that thunderous sneezes are going to assist us to mingle with the crowd without incident.”

“Mm… Carry that prayer book then. Tarrant, stop grinning like an idiot and try to look like a modest young girl. Vila….”

“ Yes Cally?”

Cally stared at his eager, be-stubbled face, hunched posture and protruding heavy boots. She swallowed. “Just…hold your bouquet a little higher and try to keep behind Tarrant. Now…”

“When…if..we get out of this alive…I’ll have several words with Blake about this debacle,” Avon muttered sourly as he made for the door, years of practice with heels enabling him to negotiate in his silk stilettos without teetering.

Blake? Tarrant? Cally shot awake, tossing off her shiny covering. The familiar walls of her cabin swam into focus and she put a hand to her throbbing head.

Never again would she be tempted to try Joe Dredd’s Old Peculiar…

Joe Dredd
Aww, thanks Anniew!

(I brews it in me bathtub!)

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.73 seconds
9,938,735 unique visits since 8th January 2014