Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 919
· Newest Rebel: Ritter_der_Tiefe

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
15% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 96
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Big Finish - Blake's 7 - The Spoils of War - Exclusive Trailer!
wall1885
cakeinmilk wrote:

This is exciting stuff, nice we're going into the big anniversary year with more content.

And it means I get to update my timeline! http://www.cakein...chronology

you should check out my timeline...I included all the novels, comic strips and text stories from the Monthly mags, poster mags and annuals as well

http://www.blakes...post_30524
Edited by wall1885 on 18 May 2017 21:08:15

wall1885
just came home from a 10 hour shift at work to this great news... I was so excited that I told the Mrs I was going to pre order straight away... I spoiled the surprise as she had already done a preorder for me as a Fathers days prezzie from the kids - I am so lucky!
Its great to have new B7 finally within our grasp

trevor travis
16 new episodes? Woo-hoo!!!

Gauda Cheese
Sure I wished Josette was back, but I'll give Yasmin chance.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

I agree - she deserves a chance.

They've asked Josette enough times, and she's politely explained why she doesn't want to do it. Recasting a single member of the human cast is acceptable.

Well unless it was recasting Blake, Avon, Vila or Servalan. Those particular parts are completely tied into the one actor.

daro2096
trevor travis wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

They've asked Josette enough times, and she's politely explained why she doesn't want to do it. Recasting a single member of the human cast is acceptable.

Well unless it was recasting Blake, Avon, Vila or Servalan. Those particular parts are completely tied into the one actor.

What if they got someone in to play Blake who sounds like Gareth Thomas? i.e. an impersonator. There is a story line in between Breakdown and Bounty that begs to be filled in. The Lindor Stragerty(sorry my spelling is not good). I mean they were planning on recasting the part of Gan before the death of Thomas. And Big Finish have already recasted the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Doctors in their audio plays. So why not Blake? It is audio anyway.

JustBrad
daro2096 wrote:

What if they got someone in to play Blake who sounds like Gareth Thomas? i.e. an impersonator. There is a story line in between Breakdown and Bounty that begs to be filled in...

I would love to hear those stories, but I have my reservations about anyone else voicing the role. For many of us, Gareth wasn't just an actor, but a friend. I don't consider myself to have known him well enough to fall into that category, there are those on this board who personally knew Gareth far better, far longer, and far more recently than I, but having met Gareth several times, and at one time long ago having been on a first name basis with him, even if only for a brief time, I may have a hard time accepting anyone else in the role, unless I knew it was someone Gareth himself had worked with and would approve of.

On the other hand, a one or two hander, with one of Gareth's B7 co stars narrating Blake's words, would be most welcome. You've really got me thinking, and I'm thinking a Travis / Blake story voiced by Stephen Greif would be a fitting tribute.

As for recasting, yes, in time, but keep in mind Gareth passed far more recently than William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee. For me, it's still too soon to hear someone else as Blake, but one day, with the right casting, yes.

trevor travis
daro2096 wrote:
What if they got someone in to play Blake who sounds like Gareth Thomas? i.e. an impersonator. There is a story line in between Breakdown and Bounty that begs to be filled in. The Lindor Stragerty(sorry my spelling is not good). I mean they were planning on recasting the part of Gan before the death of Thomas. And Big Finish have already recasted the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Doctors in their audio plays. So why not Blake? It is audio anyway.

It feels far too recent to have someone else as Gareth - he only died last year.

Dear old David Jackson has been gone much longer. Same with Peter Tuddenham. It feels far less raw to recast them than Gareth.

Plus there's only one Blake for me. I've bought every B7 Big Finish release, but I'd have to think twice if they started doing things like recasting Blake.

wall1885
trevor travis wrote:

daro2096 wrote:

It feels far too recent to have someone else as Gareth - he only died last year.

Dear old David Jackson has been gone much longer. Same with Peter Tuddenham. It feels far less raw to recast them than Gareth.

Plus there's only one Blake for me. I've bought every B7 Big Finish release, but I'd have to think twice if they started doing things like recasting Blake.

I agree, Gareth is just too much to replace in my opinion.
Soolin and Dayna had been previously replaced for the BBC Radio plays, so for me its easier to accept them being recast again.
Peter Tuddenham past so long ago and playing computers for me personally is another one that I can accept.
Also as time has passed
I think I would be comfortable with Gan being recast...but thats about it for me. Its my own personal opinion and there's no logic to it I know, but thats just how I feel

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

16 new episodes? Woo-hoo!!!

Excellent! I am more than willing to go without certain things in order to buy all the new discs. Everyone here knows I love Big Finish and have tried to meet many of their personnel along the way, so another woo hoo for me. Keep buying the discs folks, and they'll keep making them!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Rainesz
I'm going to pre-order the first set when I get my next paycheck. I'm really excited about new Dayna stories. (I wonder if she'll ever play her harp or reveal where it came from?) And the upcoming story synopses sound intriguing.

dragonq
Rainesz wrote:

I'm going to pre-order the first set when I get my next paycheck. I'm really excited about new Dayna stories. (I wonder if she'll ever play her harp or reveal where it came from?) And the upcoming story synopses sound intriguing.

That might depend on whether the new actress can sing! I was always very unconvinced by that lyre. I think Vila must have picked it up at Space City when he was drunk.

MLPasterisk
trevor travis wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

I agree. I'd love to hear Josette Simon as Dayna but she doesn't want to do it, so that's that.

I think Yasmin Bannerman is a great choice. I think she's more suited to the role than Angela Bruce who played Dayna in the radio version.

I agree that recasting what I would call supporting cast members like Dayna or Gan is OK. Recasting one of the lead characters like Blake or Avon would be a non starter for me. I'd rather they just accepted the range had reached its natural end and finished it rather than do that.

JustBrad wrote:

daro2096 wrote:

What if they got someone in to play Blake who sounds like Gareth Thomas? i.e. an impersonator. There is a story line in between Breakdown and Bounty that begs to be filled in...

I would love to hear those stories, but I have my reservations about anyone else voicing the role. For many of us, Gareth wasn't just an actor, but a friend. I don't consider myself to have known him well enough to fall into that category, there are those on this board who personally knew Gareth far better, far longer, and far more recently than I, but having met Gareth several times, and at one time long ago having been on a first name basis with him, even if only for a brief time, I may have a hard time accepting anyone else in the role, unless I knew it was someone Gareth himself had worked with and would approve of.

On the other hand, a one or two hander, with one of Gareth's B7 co stars narrating Blake's words, would be most welcome. You've really got me thinking, and I'm thinking a Travis / Blake story voiced by Stephen Greif would be a fitting tribute.

As for recasting, yes, in time, but keep in mind Gareth passed far more recently than William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee. For me, it's still too soon to hear someone else as Blake, but one day, with the right casting, yes.

I think the only downside to the new Blake's 7 announcement is that Big Finish are now limited to setting all their stories in the third season.
The fourth season seems to be out of bounds for copyright reasons and obviously for the first two seasons you would need Blake.

I think for stories set in the first two seasons there are two possible options. Either go back to the "Liberator Chronicles" style for those releases and have them narrated by the other characters (my preferred choice) or maybe do some stories where Blake and Gan are on the Liberator and the story features the other characters after they have already teleported down. I think they could only really do one boxset in that format though before the absence of Blake became really distracting (as the "search for Dayna" plotline did before.)

Gauda Cheese
The more I think about it I'm really excited to see what Yasmin brings to Dayna. Sounds like she has a love for the character and thats enough to get me super excited.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

clanger68
Very exciting news, looking forward to hearing Yasmin in action.

Also how the proper inclusion of Dayna will open up the dynamics for the other characters.

I also hope they can still include Sally Knyvette in the range some how.
aquitar.blakes-7.co.uk/Animation/Scorpio_100.gif

Vila - "I plan to live forever - or die trying"

http://www.exewing.co.uk
daro2096
In fact there are a few gaps that could be filled in series A. In between Mission To Destiny and Duel, between Project Avalon and Breakdown and Breakdown and Bounty. We could have a whole series box set with Avalon as a main cast character. They did it with Del Grant so why not Avalon? Avalon and Cally on missions together would be amazing I think.

The only way we will get to hear them is if they recast Blake and Gan or have the other actors narrate for those parts.

And as to Alistair Lock(apologies if I have spelt that wrong) was doing Zen only 2 or 3 years after the death of Peter Tuddenham.

dragonq
I would love more Jenna. In the context of what Big Finish have to work with, I just don't think it's possible to get her unless we can cut away from the main action of a Season C story to whatever she's doing.

There are four big casting holes Big Finish have had to negotiate with Blake's 7: coping with, in the first instance, the deaths of David Jackson and Peter Tuddenham, then that of Gareth Thomas and finally, Josette Simon's determination not to return as Dayna. Add to this a fifth cast member who can't be used due to rights issues (Glynnis Barber) and the constraints they've had to work with have been enormous. I think their solutions to the problems have been very creative. It's fairly evident that they are very sensitive to the pitfalls involved in recasting and that they only do it as a last resort.

In each of the above four cases, the situation has been difficult. It's arguable that deciding to recast Peter Tuddenham's roles was the easiest decision to make, given that he voiced three computers and never appeared on the screen in person, and the voices he did were processed. Furthermore his characters were germane to the storylines to the point that, it would have been impossible to have done anything much without them. You certainly couldn't have had full cast adventures without Zen and Orac. Furthermore, Alistair Lock had already played the parts in the Rebellion Reborn episodes, and proved he could do them well. This must have been a straightforward decision to come to.

Having recast Peter Tuddenham's roles, I can see why Big Finish decided to get around the problem of David Jackson's death by simply setting the full cast stories in the latter part of Season B, when Gan had been killed off. I like Gan, but he was without doubt the least essential of the original main characters and the show as televised had already proven it could function without him. It probably simplified things for them, and was not going to tread on any fannish toes. (I thought that Gan in the reimagined series was dreadful, everything the character as originally created was not.) In retrospect, there was a missed opportunity here, but Big Finish were not to know that Gareth Thomas would die and that they'd lose the opportunity to revisit the early parts of the story. The fact that he did obviously threw a huge spanner in the works because they were on the verge of recasting Gan with a view to doing full cast audios. That this was explicitly stated implies that these plans must have been very advanced when Gareth died, with scripts written and casting underway.

This brings us to problem number 4: Josette Simon's refusal to return as Dayna. They obviously tried very hard to persuade her (it's hard not to see that second series of full cast audios as anything but an attempt to keep the door open in case she changed her mind), and there must have been hopes raised when she did some Doctor Who for them, but the lady clearly meant what she said. So basically, they were left with a choice of recasting an actor who'd played the title role, been loved by the fandom, and who'd only just died, or one who'd played a less important character, who'd been offered every chance to revisit her part, and who clearly didn't want to. It can hardly have been a difficult choice to make.

I don't want a new Blake. The fact that Gareth was playing the part for Big Finish only very recently just underlines the inappropriateness because we all have those new performances in our heads now. Gareth did sound completely different as an older man, but that was just part of the soundscape for those plays. (Steven Pacey is the same; the point is that it's still him.) On the other hand I'm quite comfortable with the idea of a different actress playing Dayna. The situation is different at every level. I'd obviously have preferred Josette to return, but I don't think I'm being mean in saying that Dayna was never a fan favourite, and that her part was sorely underwritten. (I liked her as a teenager, but to be honest, as an older woman, I find her casual violence very off-putting. Hal Mellanby had very peculiar values, letting his teenaged daughters roam around shooting primitives for fun.) I'm really hoping that the scripts for the new episodes do the right thing for the character and that Yasmin, coming into the part, has good material to work with.

The bottom line is that there are lots and lots of restrictions on what can be done now with this material, and every choice about how to proceed has a consequence. I personally really hope that they can leverage that space between Season B and Season C in order to get some more mileage out of Jenna, and if they could get the rights to the final season and do something with Soolin, it would open things up even more. I love what they've done with Del Grant, and would be like have more of him. I guess once the new audios start bring released we'll get some idea of exactly how the series will progress in the future.
Edited by dragonq on 22 May 2017 13:11:39

Joe Dredd
An excellent and thoughtful analysis, dragonq.

For all the reasons you say, I have no issues with Zen/Orac being recast.

Of the living cast members, I wish they'd all be involved (I think Glynis B would join up without hesitation) but that's clearly not to be. I respect Josette Simon's decision, as much as I'd love to see (hear) her back in the role again. As a fan I'm happy to welcome Yasmin aboard and look forward to finally hearing Dayna in the audio adventures.

As for recasting, it's an interesting line to draw. I wouldn't like to hear B7 with the whole crew and main baddies played by new people, so when does it become too much? If Steven Pacey or Jan Chappell dropped out, would it be okay to recast them so long as we had Paul, Michael and (Jan or Steven)? Would the adventures of original cast Tarrant with replacement Avon and Vila be worth making?

I can certainly imagine them continuing the solo adventures of Avon (and Orac) if no one but Paul was left to continue. In a lot of ways that opens it up and makes things easier and I would love to see them go down this road with Jenna. BF have 'Companion Chronicles' for Doctor Who. I can't see a line with standalone tales of Bek, Largo, etc but Jenna? Yes please!

I wonder too whether anything is happening with their line of novels. It's certainly the most comprehensive way to produce some full cast adventures.

Rainesz
As far as continuing Blake's 7 past what's already been done in audio, I still want to see Jenna's 7. Grin
I still think Jenna survived the self-destruct of her ship somehow and I would love to see her (post Gauda Prime) take Blake's place as rebel leader and have her own audio adventures.
I'm certain Sally Knyvette would be up for it. Wink

Joe Dredd
Jenna could be the new leader of the rebellion, PGP.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.62 seconds
9,513,194 unique visits since 8th January 2014