Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Doctor Who Season 36
Klenotka
I am beginning to think that Nardole is there to keep the Doctor on Earth, to remind him of that (we donīt know why, yet)
Donīt be Lasagne

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

Afterwards, I said: "And with one bound they were free - or did they wake up and find it was all a dream?"
I'm not a fan of magic reset buttons, either.

It's lazy writing, or possibly time constraints. Much better if the robots, who turn out to be sentient, feel the same grief they have caused the humans when one of their own (a fellow robot) is destroyed. The Doctor could then explain to the robots what they have done, how the humans are feeling that same grief because of the robots, and make peace, allowing the robots to make amends.

Of course that takes a lot more time than simply waving Harry Potter's Magic Wand, er, I mean, the Sonic Screwdriver, but then what do you expect, The War Doctor gave Harry Potter his magic wand in the first place....

JustBrad
Klenotka wrote:

I am beginning to think that Nardole is there to keep the Doctor on Earth, to remind him of that (we donīt know why, yet)

There was reference last night to 'Guarding a Vault,' but I'm not sure what that is referring to. TT will probably know, walking Doctor Who compendium that he is.

And there is more. After the fall of other companions, most notably the Ponds, Clara, and River, The Doctor promised himself never to get so attached again. Both 11 and 12 have said words to the effect of, "I can't do this anymore..."

But of course we viewers know that The Doctor HAS to have a companion to keep him sane. Which incarnation never had a companion? The War Doctor.

Anniew
I loved Smile. I agree about the ending but I think that's only because there's some unfinished business here that we may go back to ( Ralph Little is quite a well-known actor and his role was tiny...my betting is that he'll be a future companion like Steven from the Mechanoid episode with Dr 1. As to what's in the vault....hate...grief...anger...revenge... all the emotions that made the War Doctor. Or Bill's death....or the Doctor's death.

I love episodes like this where little happens and I just love Bill...she's not irritating at all.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Rainesz
It's lazy writing, or possibly time constraints. Much better if the robots, who turn out to be sentient, feel the same grief they have caused the humans when one of their own (a fellow robot) is destroyed. The Doctor could then explain to the robots what they have done, how the humans are feeling that same grief because of the robots, and make peace, allowing the robots to make amends.

Yes, Brad, THAT would have been a better, more thoughtful and emotional ending.

Like everyone else I really enjoyed the first two thirds of it, and then the ending was a great big muddle that seemed rushed and didn't even acknowledge the theme they'd established of grief and hiding emotions behind false fronts. (Why your solution would have been excellent, Brad. They missed a trick there.)

That said, the episode was gorgeous to look at-- the architecture, the fields outside the city, even the goofy little robots with emoji faces. Beautiful art direction.
I'm still VERY impressed with how much personality Pearl Mackie brings to a character we've just met. And like Travisina, I'm missing Nardole as another personality thrown into the mix. But I must say, Peter Capaldi looks like he's having a ball, finally given a chance to play the Doctor the way he should have been from the very beginning. Punky, old-school classic Who.

trevor travis
Oh, I liked that one.

Haunted House with David Suchet in it - couldn't go wrong really, could it?

President Solvite
Much better effort this week.

Simple, atmospheric and nice dialogue. More like this please Smile

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
JustBrad
Hmm... For me this is two in a row with a great beginning, good development, and riveting atmosphere, let down a bit by an ending that felt rushed.

Lorna
I liked it and thought David Souchet was great. However, at the end I thought what happens now? The students have lost their money and all their possessions. And the Doctor walks away!!

Travisina
It seemed a bit 'meh' to me. We've had any number of haunted houses and people being absorbed into whatever. I thought David Suchet was excellent, but ultimately wasted - it would have been nice if he could have been a returning character.

It wasn't just the ending that felt rushed - I thought the whole ep suffered by having to cram everything into less than an hour instead of being spread across a couple or more eps. The tension and menace would have benefited by being more of a slow burn. The introductions to the students was so quick, I never did catch all their names, apart from realising that two of the blokes had the same name - Pavel and Paul. Seriously, they couldn't come up with a different name for one of them? According to Digital Spy, Harry was supposed to have been the grandson of Harry Sullivan, which would have been fun for the older fans, but it was never mentioned so perhaps the idea was dropped.

But it wasn't all bad. I'm still liking Bill - she has some great lines, and is a good actress. I like the little bits of foreshadowing - the Doctor's told her about Timelords, he's mentioned regeneration. And I think it's significant that she now calls him 'Grandfather' - that, along with the photo of Susan on his desk, seems to be part of a growing arc. And I adore Peter Capaldi, so lots to enjoy even if I'm lukewarm about the story.

@Lorna - I agree! Three near-death experiences, then loss of all their money and possessions. Those poor students!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Travisina I've felt that all the episodes this season ( which definitely for me hark back to 4th Doctor stories) would benefit from being at least 2 parters.

I found Knock Knock gripping and scary but I watch very little horror so it's cliched elements passed me by. It was a pretty implausible story though... the logistics were pretty baffling ...and the ending -,never mind the students what about the space woodlice had apparently taken over the trees ( causing them to move as if in a wind) . The trees were still there at the end of the episode. Are we in for deforestatation?

Master class acting by Mrs Capaldi and Suchet though. Mr Suchet would make a fabulous Master.

Now fan theory: I think that its Dr One in the vault because a) the Doctor reacts empathetically when the Landlord asks if he wouldn't do anything to save the person who gave him birth...b ) he says "I know you miss it all but I’m stuck here too, you know,” .

Or I think the Doc has already regenerated and it went wrong and a mad regenerated Doc is in the vault OR he regenerated but sort of back to Dr One and this is causing time problems or something...and will have to be sorted out ( maybe there's a hybrid Dr One and 13 in the vault.)
Edited by Travisina on 07 May 2017 13:33:57
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
Anniew wrote:
...OR he regenerated but sort of back to Dr One and this is causing time problems or something...and will have to be sorted out (maybe there's a hybrid Dr One and 13 in the vault.)

It's plausible! There have been pics circulating of David Bradley as the first Doctor (he played Hartnell in the anniversary docu-drama), so that may indeed be where we're heading!

BradPaula
I loved David Suchet, liked the story at the beginning and was disappointed that the character supposed to be Harry Sullivan's grandson was not elaborated on other than to say his name was Harry. The story was ok, but I wasn't to hot on the ending and especially the alien cockroach bugs. The endings haven't been the strong spots lately in Doctor Who stories. But Suchet- wow! Now there is an actor.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

JustBrad
Who or what is in the vault?

Who would The Doctor volunteer to personally guard, as thought he feels some responsibility?

Who would The Doctor consider a big enough threat to keep under constant and elaborate lock and key, but be civil to?

Who do we know for a fact is in this series, in one or more incarnations?

Yes, IMHO, and pending more evidence, it's The Master.
Edited by JustBrad on 08 May 2017 02:03:22

Rainesz
If David Bradley is returning to play the First Doctor, I would love it if Carole Ann Ford appeared to reunite with him. (And Twelve) That was something Peter Capaldi has always said he wanted to happen. (He also said he wanted Mondas Cybermen and he's getting them this year, so...) Wink

That would make for an incredibly heartwarming reunion.

Klenotka
I loved it. But then again, I love spooky houses and atmospheric horrors.
David Suchet with a combination with Peter was one of the best guest stars.
Those kids were actually pretty cool, behaved normally as a bunch of teenagers, not idiots Smile

The Doctor and Bill being split for most of the episode was interesting to see.

There were a few hints and forshadowings and I really think it is the Master in the vault. Not too original but I suspect it was not the original and the real surprise is still waiting in the second half of the series.

I will be sorry to see Peter go....he is the best Sad
Donīt be Lasagne

BradPaula
Rainesz wrote:

If David Bradley is returning to play the First Doctor, I would love it if Carole Ann Ford appeared to reunite with him. (And Twelve) That was something Peter Capaldi has always said he wanted to happen. (He also said he wanted Mondas Cybermen and he's getting them this year, so...) Wink

That would make for an incredibly heartwarming reunion.

Amen to that. I'd love that scenario.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
Oxygen was a great episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Space: The Final Frontier. Final because it wants to kill us..."
Edited by trevor travis on 13 May 2017 23:10:08

JustBrad
A revolution against The Corporation...

A callback to The Sun Makers?

Travisina
"Some of my best friends are blue-ish"

Best. Line. Ever! Brings to mind Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams.

I heart Nardole.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,809,593 unique visits since 8th January 2014