Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Doctor Who Season 36
trevor travis
Good opening episode of Doctor Who. Nicely understated and concentrated on the intro of Pearl Mackie. I was frightened the Moff might OTT this season, but this episode wasn't complicated at all - it was good, character-based drama.

Travisina
Really enjoyed it. Good script, a nice introduction (or re-introduction) to all the elements that make up DW. Action, humour, sad moments and the introduction to a story-spanning mystery (what's in the vault...?). Matt Lucas is great, and I'm relieved that Pearl Mackie isn't as annoying as she seemed to be in the trailer - I like her, she's a good actress. And what a relief, Bill is unlikely to fall in love with the Doctor Wink

Other things I liked - the production values, the FX and the sound balance - for once the music didn't swamp the dialogue.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
We'll see it on this side of the pond in about four hours. And in six hours, we have a classic Tom Baker episode on local telly.

BradPaula
A decent story and I like Bill. The photos on the Doctor's desk are interesting- River Song and Susan! Also loved the little peek at the Movelians vs the Daleks. What a blast from the past.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Rainesz
I was VERY impressed by this first episode. Bill has more depth and personality in just a single episode than three years of Clara, whom I must confess I never really warmed up to. I love a three-person TARDIS team again (so classic Who). Matt Lucas as Nardole is wonderful, plus he's a fun physical contrast to Peter Capaldi-- they make a great comedy team.

Oh, and I LOVED the art direction of the alien planet.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

The photos on the Doctor's desk are interesting- River Song and Susan!

His family - wife and granddaughter.

President Solvite
I haven't watched the New Doctor Who for some time. Due to the increasingly OTT plots , goofs and its seeming desire to 'appeal' to the mass market Angry

However watched this opening episode and it was a good quality, well balanced episode. Yes indeed nice references to old Who with a odd nod to Shada with the Doctor ok it was Prof Chronotis but whatever, lurking in a university as a cover) A blast from the 80's with the Movellans (definitely sound like a kind of 80's Disco popular beat combo. Or maybe that's just me Grin )

Bill is interesting as a character (more engaging than Clara) And Matt Lucas as Nardole? is an extra well conceived element that adds an extra quirky dimension to the episode.

Peter is a good Doctor I am hoping for a decent swan-song as we go through this year. As long as you don't think too much about this alien entity which seems to have almost limitless power and can traverse almost anywhere in space and time yet still somehow needs chemical/nuclear landing thrusters (or equivalent) for landing on Earth. It holds out pretty well. Ok that was a little nit picky but in my opinion Who needs to dump this Deus ex machina/ magic/ overuse of sonic screwdriver etc. to a large degree and focus on story and dialogue without lazy writing cop outs or nonsense. Which I think it pretty much succeeded to do in this example, hopefully it will continue to do so and keep me engaged and onboard.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Travisina
President Solvite wrote:
As long as you don't think too much about this alien entity which seems to have almost limitless power and can traverse almost anywhere in space and time yet still somehow needs chemical/nuclear landing thrusters (or equivalent) for landing on Earth.

Ha! Hubby said exactly the same thing!

President Solvite
Travisina wrote:

President Solvite wrote:
As long as you don't think too much about this alien entity which seems to have almost limitless power and can traverse almost anywhere in space and time yet still somehow needs chemical/nuclear landing thrusters (or equivalent) for landing on Earth.

Ha! Hubby said exactly the same thing!

Well he's a smart cookie.. We share the same taste in spaceships and this kind of intensive geekiness..

I.e. on a Space 1999 Eagle when they jettison the passenger module how does the pilot go to the loo? (without doing a spacewalk?) Its important questions like this our dear writers old and new tend to forget and miss! (hopefully the plot point rather than the aforementioned loo!)

Klenotka
I loved it! Just a few favourite moments from me...

Pinguin run! Grin

The whole opening scene was wonderful...with Bill sitting in the chair...the whole office had a beautiful setting

Peter really DID look great - he obviously had a blast, and it was seen in those little faces he pulled.

The Doctor and Nardole shaking hands when Bill finally said that TARDIS was bigger on the inside.

The good news that the monsters was not there for the vault...followed by "Run!"

The Doctor casually changing his coat for the introduction of the TARDIS, then strolling away, even more casually- Such a show-off Grin

"I know my Daleks"

Claraīs theme playing in the background, with the Doctor on the verge of tears because he forgot something important and he *knows* that.

Doctorīs lecture in the class - my God, if i had such an energetic (handsome), interesting. charismatic professor at my school.

"It is made of wood. It has windows."...and the way she said it Smile

The fact that Bill has been working for the Doctor for a few months before finding out who he is and him getting to know her very well.

How the Doctor invited Bill to travel with him, the whole scene, with him saying "What the hell".

It is also important for me to note that both Pearl and Peter have a very expressive voice and intonation which will make this series more fun.
Donīt be Lasagne

JustBrad
Klenotka

Also the picture of Susan on the desk, with no explanation, a gift for the old fans. Either you know who she is or you don't.

Gauda Cheese
I'll be dropping in to see what y'all think of the shows. Still taking time off, but glad people dig it. I'd rather Who on TV than not
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

Also the picture of Susan on the desk, with no explanation, a gift for the old fans. Either you know who she is or you don't.

And an additional gift for the mega-geeky old fans, the picture of Susan is from the unused Pilot episode of DW. And the title of this episode? 'The Pilot'.

Klenotka
I can imagine Peter, an old school DW fan, being given a total freedom in his last series with this. Moffat is also a classic fan so those hints form classic fans were and are everywhere.

I rewatched it last night and I just loved the Christmas hat scene...so adorably awkward, yet touching, judging by the last few Christmas the Doctor had on Earth....
Donīt be Lasagne

JustBrad
Klenotka wrote:

...so adorably awkward, yet touching, ...

You have just summed up Doctor Who at its best. Smile

RichardMk2
So What did people think of tonight's episode?

Klenotka
I liked last weekīs a bit more but I simply loved the setting here. That simple white color, then the engine room...i donīt know what it was but made it the episode *look* good. But it was more about the Doctor and Bill getting to know each other - they DO know each other, but as a tutor and a student, not like this. I loved how Bill handled it all. The final solution was actually really smart and I īd be curious to see how those two races will live together in the future. I find refreshing that he was not able to get into the right place and time but missed - just like old times.
Donīt be Lasagne

President Solvite
Hmm bit of a mixed bag this, looked pretty with a clean architectural conceptual design look but not much substance to grip one's interest and a bit of a stretch on the credibility side too ,not the worst episode but not the best and certainly not as good as last weeks fayre.

Sort of middling and a definite 'meh' from me. A pity, oh well lets see what next week brings.

JustBrad
Interesting episode, very Doctor Who and a bit of a throwback to The Ark In Space. Good marks for the overall plot line and build up.

But not for the resolution. I have never been a fan of The Big Magic Button.

A seven out of ten until the lazy "Reset Button" ending.

Travisina
Mixed feelings about it - I really liked the look of the location, the set up and the threat. But I was sorry they left Nardole behind - he provided a good balance last week, I found just having Doctor & Bill a bit... intense. She seemed a bit more annoying this time, though she has been given good dialogue. And I agree with Brad:

JustBrad wrote:
I have never been a fan of The Big Magic Button.
A seven out of ten until the lazy "Reset Button" ending.

Afterwards, I said: "And with one bound they were free - or did they wake up and find it was all a dream?"
I'm not a fan of magic reset buttons, either.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.61 seconds
9,914,843 unique visits since 8th January 2014