Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,133
· Newest Rebel: layzell

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [35 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [10 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [22 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
18% [27 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 154
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Cygnus Alpha 4.0 28th-30th September 2018
Ian Kubiak
aztecrabbit wrote:

Hello Ian,

What do you think of the idea of offering attendees the opportunity to bring along and display any production used items that they own, in addition to Gary's collection of outfits ? I'm thinking here of floor plans, props, costume designs, original scripts etc. I would think that people who are lucky enough to have such items in their possession would be more than willing to let other fans have the opportunity of seeing their cherished items.

Brian

I am happy for people to bring their own things to display or show but I must stress that it is your risk as my insurance will not cover people's items.

If you or anyone wish to bring items along, please email me Cygnus_Alpha@outlook.com

Ian

aztecrabbit
Ian quite rightly flags up the very practical matter of insurance and without it, no one will risk bringing along items, unless of course, they are looking to sell them, as Gary hopes ! (By the way, Ian, will there be any dealers tables at the event ?)

There is also the question of how items could be displayed. I have the original artwork by Barry Jones from six of the VHS cassette releases. These have been mounted and framed and been hung on the wall at home, so that would be simple enough. But I've also got several of June Hudson's costume designs from Season 2. These are large and unframed and are therefore less easy to view. Finally, the star items in my collection are two original typewritten scripts by Terry Nation and I just cannot see how these could be displayed other than in a locked glass case !

On sober reflection, I'm not sure that this idea has "legs".

Ian Kubiak
aztecrabbit wrote:

Ian quite rightly flags up the very practical matter of insurance and without it, no one will risk bringing along items, unless of course, they are looking to sell them, as Gary hopes ! (By the way, Ian, will there be any dealers tables at the event ?)

There is also the question of how items could be displayed. I have the original artwork by Barry Jones from six of the VHS cassette releases. These have been mounted and framed and been hung on the wall at home, so that would be simple enough. But I've also got several of June Hudson's costume designs from Season 2. These are large and unframed and are therefore less easy to view. Finally, the star items in my collection are two original typewritten scripts by Terry Nation and I just cannot see how these could be displayed other than in a locked glass case !

On sober reflection, I'm not sure that this idea has "legs".

Yes there will be some dealers which I will confirm closer to the event.

It's not just insurance, but like you have said, it is the practicalities of displaying everything.

Ian Kubiak
Sadly actor David Boyce can no longer attend Cygnus Alpha 4.0 due to a work commitment. However, David will now be one of our private signing guests. You can purchase his autograph by visiting the Cygnus Shop.

Ian Kubiak
It is with great pleasure that we can announce a private signing opportunity with Miles Fothergill. Miles played Novara in 'The Web'. He is also known by Doctor Who fans for playing SV7 in the Tom Baker story 'Robots of Death' written by Chris Boucher.

daro2096
Why have they picked one of the most expensive hotels in the country? £145 per night? That is ridiculously expensive..

Why couldn't they have booked a hotel in Birmingham or something?

There is no way I am going to London. Not with the current crime crisis going on there. London has a higher murder rate than New York at present. Plus I think the prices are too high. I mean £30 for a meal? That is just taking the mickey in my own opinion. And then £15 for a signed photo? They should be giving them away. or at least a bit cheaper. Sorry but your autograph just isn't worth £15. Certainly Gareth Thomas' autograph I got from Horizon over 20 years ago isn't worth anything having tried to sell it on eBay a few years back.

Sorry rant over. I just hate that us fans are being milked left, right and center.

Anniew
I donít think Ian could ever be accused of ripping off the fans. I do take your point that life is probably financially a lot easier for those of us lucky to live in the soft south but the Cygnus Alpha events are non profit making - any profits go to charity. I guess London is the chosen venue because itís easier for Ian to arrange things there. Also there are good, cheaper hotels very near by. Many of us, me included ( a pensioner) are staying at the nearbye Premier Inn. Autographs and photos arenít obligatory. I canít afford many ...but I shall make the most of spending time with fellow fans. And Iíve paid of my ticket by monthly instalments that has helped a lot. The panels will be fascinating and there will be other adventures too. Ian works tirelessly for these events and gets little from them other than kudos , stress and the satisfaction of giving money to charity. Iím really sorry that you wonít be joining us daro but I donít think your rant about this event is fair or correct.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Lorna
daro2096 wrote:

. And then £15 for a signed photo? They should be giving them away. or at least a bit cheaper. Sorry but your autograph just isn't worth £15. Certainly Gareth Thomas' autograph I got from Horizon over 20 years ago isn't worth anything having tried to sell it on eBay a few years back.

I lost sympathy with you at that point. If you want to get signed photos to sell, you are not a true Fan.

trevor travis
daro2096 wrote:

Why have they picked one of the most expensive hotels in the country? £145 per night? That is ridiculously expensive..

Why couldn't they have booked a hotel in Birmingham or something?

There is no way I am going to London. Not with the current crime crisis going on there. London has a higher murder rate than New York at present. Plus I think the prices are too high. I mean £30 for a meal? That is just taking the mickey in my own opinion. And then £15 for a signed photo? They should be giving them away. or at least a bit cheaper. Sorry but your autograph just isn't worth £15. Certainly Gareth Thomas' autograph I got from Horizon over 20 years ago isn't worth anything having tried to sell it on eBay a few years back.

Sorry rant over. I just hate that us fans are being milked left, right and center.

Don't get the autograph then!

And do what several of us have done in booking the hotel down the road for half the price.

Ian Kubiak
Daro2096:

You are entitled to your opinion but I do feel you may be mistaken on some of your points. I would just like to point out that every attendee gets two autographs from all of the inclusive guests.

Anniew, Lorna, trevor travis:

Thank you for your kind words and continued support.

Ian

BradPaula
daro- you have every right to spout here as long as you are polite about it. Ian, the con runner can speak for himself, and so can I. If it is too expensive for you, then I am sorry. We will miss you at the con. To tell the truth, the prices are quite on average with many cons both in the UK and USA. It is your choice whether you attend or not, whether you fork over for a nice dinner, or buy autographs or photos. Yes, it is quite an outlay of money, but then that is how con life is. I look at this opportunity of going to Cygnus Alpha as one of the last times we may see many of 'our' actors. I mean, it has been 40 years and much as we love them all, no one lives forever. We have lost too many of our favorites, so if it is at all possible I'd recommend any fan who has an interest to try and attend this convention- or lament about it the rest of their lives.

As for the 15 Pound charge for photos, and autos- well, the con runner has to make enough money to pay the fees of the actors and behind the scenes guests. Cons are very expensive to run. It's also typical now to see these prices. But 15 Pounds is a lot less than trying to get a photo/auto from some of the bigger cons-where you would be 120 Pounds out of pocket per photo! So I see it this way- put up or shut up. Spend the money and attend or save your money and stay home. It's up to you.

(And now, Moderator's hat off for this next paragraph. A fan speaking from the heart here.)

And as for your statement about the late Mr. Thomas' autograph, and saying it isn't worth anything having tried to sell one on Ebay... well, I will take that in the spirit which you mentioned, a rant. Because if you want my personal opinion on that statement, I take offence. Gareth may not be William Shatner, but here we loved him as a friend and favorite actor, and sorry, but I think it was a cheap shot at his memory saying his autograph wasn't worth anything. It certainly would be here. I do hope you feel better after your rant.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

daro2096
I got his autograph when I bought the VHS tapes though Horizon. As to selling it I was only testing the waters. It didn't sell, still have it stored away with my other surviving Horizon mech. I have Jan Chappel's sig too I got when I first became a Horizon member way back in 1989..

Please don't take my comment above too seriously.I would love to attend but can't afford to travel. I live in the north east and travel is just too much.

If people have taken my comment as rude then I am sorry. It wasn't meant to be rude.

JustBrad
daro2096 wrote:

Please don't take my comment above too seriously.I would love to attend but can't afford to travel. I live in the north east and travel is just too much.

That's a frustration we all share and understand.

Cons have gotten to be very expensive in the last decade, but that is the nature of the beast, supply and demand as it were, and not the fault of any one individual convention. Ian really does try to give you as much for your money as possible.

littlesue
daro2096...would you be able to get to Hanslope Village just north of Milton Keynes on Sunday 1st July?
Smallspace is taking place that day and Mr Mat Irvine has been 'persuaded' to let us B7 fans have the small hall for all things B7 to celebrate its 40th Birthday.
Why not come along; you'll meet the Libby, the London and the Hairdryer Ship!
You'll also be able to see Gary's fantastic costumes and Phil's equally fantastic bright shirt!!!
Plus the tea and cheese roll from the K9 cafe is a must.....
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

daro2096
littlesue wrote:

daro2096...would you be able to get to Hanslope Village just north of Milton Keynes on Sunday 1st July?
Smallspace is taking place that day and Mr Mat Irvine has been 'persuaded' to let us B7 fans have the small hall for all things B7 to celebrate its 40th Birthday.
Why not come along; you'll meet the Libby, the London and the Hairdryer Ship!
You'll also be able to see Gary's fantastic costumes and Phil's equally fantastic bright shirt!!!
Plus the tea and cheese roll from the K9 cafe is a must.....

Sadly, I can't. In addition to travel costs I got a dog and kennel costs are not cheap. Talking kennel costs for three days as I would have to travel down the day before as it would take at least 6 hours to travel down to MK. There is nearly £50 in kennel costs gone before anything else.(not to mention vet costs before I put my dog in kennels)

Why can't there be something near me?

Lorna
Just a suggestion! Could you not organise something. Even if it is asking on Horizon if any one lives near you and is up for eating Pizzas and watching DVDs.
If that works you could move on to other things!

Travisina
Hi Daro - following on from Lorna's suggestion, do you live within reach of Bamburgh Beach? Perhaps a location visit to Sarran would be possible?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

daro2096
Travisina wrote:

Hi Daro - following on from Lorna's suggestion, do you live within reach of Bamburgh Beach? Perhaps a location visit to Sarran would be possible?

I live in Consett so Sarran is within reach. Maybes we could get someone to wear an orange coat and recreate the Avon and Sarran fight?

JustBrad
Airfare booked.

clanger68
JustBrad wrote:

Airfare booked.

Oooh, Fantastic, just don't fly Federation Freight!

Looking forward to seeing you both, and everyone else.

Just echoing what others have said, in this day and age Ian puts on a heck of an event at a very reasonable rate.

I have been lucky enough to go to all three Cygnus Alpha's so far and enjoyed each one thoroughly.
aquitar.blakes-7.co.uk/Animation/Scorpio_100.gif

Vila - "I plan to live forever - or die trying"

http://www.exewing.co.uk
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.61 seconds
21,548,384 unique visits since 8th January 2014