Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
April 2017 Ficlet Challenge
Rainesz
@Hugbot: Another excellent and surreal story. The tension builds to the last dream-door.

The fun of reading your story is trying to figure out all the symbolism and where it occurs in the B7 timeline. And of course there are seven doors with seven different scenarios behind them.
I'm trying to guess who's been reincarnated, or am I missing the obvious?

Rainesz
The quality of Big Finish scripts (and their performance) is of the highest, but I can only listen to music while I write, otherwise years of practise in transcribing audio finds me typing what they're saying!

Oh, I can't even write with music playing! Still too distracting!

But I draw to music and when I get to the inking and painting part of a picture, that's when the Big Finish audios help. (At this point, heavy concentration isn't really needed and I'm sort of on "autopilot". I like listening to dvd commentaries at this stage, too. Pfft)

Rainesz
"You were very beautiful"

@Travisina: Ooh, what a beautiful, emotional and creepy story. An excellent plausible, tragic backstory and I can easily imagine Stephen Greif playing this scene as an obsessive, covetous Travis.

Rainesz
@Joe: That was hilarious. A great, clever, weird take on the "egg" prompt, with excellent crew banter.

Zen pulling "Spacey McSpaceface" out of Gan's mind reminds me of Zuul pulling the Staypuft Marshmallow Man out of Ray's mind in Ghostbusters, hopefully without similar catastrophic consequences. Pfft

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Shoes and Ships and Sealing Wax

"Welcome to the starship Spacey McSpaceface."

Hilarious, Joe! Great dialogue, and I like the AU having Gan instead of Jenna (can you continue it? I'd love to know how the rest of the series would have progressed!). 'Spacey McSpaceface' made me LOL.

Update: Boaty McBoatface, having failed to be the name of the new polar explorer, is as consolation prize going to be a Yellow Submarine !
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
Ah! The last I heard of Boaty was when his name had been rejected in favour of Sir David Attenborough's. I'm glad to see Boaty's name survived too... I think!

Hugbot
@Travisina: Thank you, Travisina - a story about my favourite mutoid! It is perfectly convincing, and I love the economy of writing. In just three short scenes, you give us the complete background story.

@Joe: Your explanation of the changing Travii and Orac's voice break was already funny, and the punch line was hilarious. I have to admit that I did not get it at first; the silly name rang a bell, but I couldn't place it. Thanks for clarification, Travisina! But I fear there are still lots of allusions that I did not get ... Shoes? Wax? Interesting that in this reality, Zen includes Avon in the welcome. Obviously, it did not read as much mistrust in Gan's thoughts as in Jenna's!

Hugbot
Rainesz wrote:

I'm trying to guess who's been reincarnated, or am I missing the obvious?

Oh dear, what have I done? I always tended to be much too explicit in my explanations but this time I seem to have been too obscure. I thought the last room was rather obvious; and the name of the student was also meant as a clue. Maybe I have put you on the wrong track with the first two rooms. The first one does not bear much symbolic relevance; it just marks the birth as the beginning of the corridor, and the content of the second room is not supported by canon but was based on the 'Monthly Fanfic Challenge canon'.

Rainesz
@Hugbot:
Sorry for being so dense! Pfft (Drinks more coffee, hoping to clear away the density.)
The room with all the crashing debris made me think of Cally on Terminal. And the name... I was trying to work out if it's an anagram.

I bet everyone else here got it instantly and I'm just being slow. (Argh. This is how my week has been!) Wink

Your wonderful storytelling skills are superb as ever!
Edited by Rainesz on 17 April 2017 20:46:11

Anniew
I am really thick because of haven't got the clue in Hugbot's fic. I assumed that the ceiling crashing down was Gauda Prime. May have got all this completely wrong!!

Joe ...enjoyed Boaty Macboatface story...

Travisina...super!!! Loved it.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
Hugbot wrote:
I fear there are still lots of allusions that I did not get ... Shoes? Wax?

It's just a poor choice of title on my part, Hugbot. I was trying to think of something appropriate and the only thing that came to mind was a poem from Alice in Wonderland (or is it Through the Looking Glass?) - "The time has come, the Walrus said/to speak of many things/Of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax/and cabbages and Kings/and why the sea is boiling hot/and whether fish have wings...." It's not relevant at all, but it had "Ships" in it, so I went with it.

Ellen York
Anniew wrote:

I am really thick because of haven't got the clue in Hugbot's fic. I assumed that the ceiling crashing down was Gauda Prime. May have got all this completely wrong!!

I went back and re-read it and I think I figured it out. The ceiling coming down is Pressure Point.

Rainesz
Ellen York wrote:

Anniew wrote:

I went back and re-read it and I think I figured it out. The ceiling coming down is Pressure Point.

Ah yes!! Of course. Grin
See? I'm just dense.

Anniew
Re Hugbot's mystery - Duh...pressure point of course but what's the clue with his companion...Rainez if you're dense I'm denser!!!

Anniew
"Be careful."

"Always. It should take no more than an hour."

"And then we'll be free."

"Free! Yes. Make sure you're ready to leave. And keep a low profile while you're waiting."

"Always! Take care Avon..."

" I think...I think it is time you called me Kerr."

xxxx

"I'm sorry Irene."

"You said... you promised...

" I have to go... You know I have to go...I'll lose my commission if I don't. It's only for five years.."

" Eternity."

"Five years."

"You promised me, Don. You said our love would persist. "

" It will."

"Beyond the heart of time you said.....Were they just words?"

"Time ran out on us."

" Is she going?"

"Who?"

"Gina...is she going too...?"

"I...."

" Is she?"

"Yes, but ...What does it matter Rene? ...She's not important..."

"So you say.."

" I can't do this again Rene. You have to trust me or there's nothing...no point.."

"If you loved me you wouldn't go."

" If you loved me you'd understand why I have to."

xxx

"Prisoner 749...Kerr Avon...Correct?"

" Avon..just Avon... Kerr Avon died a long time ago."

xxx

"Irene....Congratulations...Space Command. Quite a promotion."

"I think, if you don't mind... I would prefer you address me as Servalan."

BradPaula
Rebirth of the Resistance

Vila woke on the hard dirty floor. He lay still, worried that if he moved, he'd be noticed as being still alive. But it was now silent in the Tracking Gallery. Only the faint whir of the air filtration system could be heard. He attempted a slight movement and still nothing. He finally got up the courage and sat up. He could see out of only one eye and that became apparent why when he rubbed his right eye and forehead. Blood. His natural reaction would be to panic but he clamped it down and stayed silent. He had suffered a head wound upon gingerly examining his skull- it was a flesh wound right through from front to back and bleeding heavily. But then head wounds often did that, he thought to himself. Looking around, he noticed the bodies. Especially Blake's. But strange, no Avon. Regardless of who was dead, missing or not, it affected him deeply and he was soon sick.

Afterwards, his finely-tuned instincts kicked in and he stood, looking for the way out. On the way he found the Mess and in one of the lockers, a ruck sack and he filled the bag with food packs and cans of water. A small first-aid kit, a few knives, a blanket and he exited the building and headed for the protection of the forest. No one was around and he started to worry about his meager survival skills and his ability to survive alone in the open. And where had they taken Avon? He walked as fast as he could trying to forget that gruesome scene of carnage.

A few days later, Vila, who had by this time tended to his injury and had found a cleft in the hills to observe the complex, noticed a ship circle and land perhaps two clicks away from him. Hunkering down, he observed two humanoids, heavily armed and in camouflage gear walking towards the complex. Complex? More charnel house, he remarked to himself. The figures entered the building and all again was silent.

Inside the Tracking Gallery, the pair observed three bodies laid out in a row, now starting to decompose. Two women and a man. In the middle of the room lay Blake, in the same state. One of the newcomers stood at his feet, contemplating the tableau. A soft sigh was heard and that was it. The pair soon left the room. Some time later, they came upon a magna-locked room and manhandled their way in. There was a make-shift cell and in it was a man lying on the floor, still as death. It was Avon. One of the pair knelt down and shook him, then waved a vial of smelling salts under his nose. He was soon awake, if not groggy and a bit malnourished and injured. There was blood seeping through the fabric on his shoulder. But alive nonetheless. The pair helped him to his feet and they exited the building at a run.

Vila watched warily but when the trio came near, he decided to tempt fate and expose his position. Anything was better than living off the land on a nearly deserted planet. He shouted and waved theatrically. All three turned around to face him, the camouflaged pair pulling pistols and aiming them at him. Then just as fast they put their guns away. One of the pair ran to him and unexpectedly hugged him fiercely. It wasn't a man, it was Jenna Stannis. And the other one was Del Grant. They had Avon and were saving him from a long and painful death. Vila fell in with them and they soon were on their way.

Avon made them stop and motioned for them to go east. He had hidden Orac and they needed to retrieve it before leaving Gauda Prime. The computer found, Vila carried it to the ship. And not before time, as Grant's information network had radioed him that Sleer, nee Servalan was now in the vicinity of the planet, probably en route to pick up Avon and use him for her own gains. They found the ship and boarded in record time.

After the ship had made orbit and beyond and Avon and Vila had their injuries tended to, cleaned up and fed they all met on the flight deck of the Phoenix, Grant's ship. Except for Vila, no one knew it had been Avon who had killed Blake. He'd keep silent about that for the time being. Grant programmed the ships' cannons to obliterate the complex and give the rebels a decent send off. That done they explained to both Avon and Vila that after the Galactic War, Jenna had met and teamed up with Grant and his syndicate and was actively undermining anything Federation, but in a very covert sort of way. They were asked to join Grant to continue the fight. With no other options it was decided the last of Blake's crew with the mercenary in charge would continue on with the fight. Only this time Grant's way, which at least to Vila was the safer of the two options.

There wasn't any celebration, just a somber nod of heads. But Vila did have to speak. He said happily it was the rebirth of the Resistance and that this time they'd win. It was only right and the odds had to be with them this time, right? They'd live forever or die trying, like it or not. Avon smiled, which was answer enough.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Anniew
Lovely story Paula. I like it being told from Vila's POV; it makes it hopeful but somber too. I like Jenna's reaction to seeing Blake...understated but poignant. The last paragraph is very touching.

Travisina
Excellent, Annie - love the parallel stories of Avon & Servalan's choice of names.

Paula - oh, I do like PGPs where Vila survives! (And of course, Jenna and Grant Wink )
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Rainesz
@Anniew: A clever story, and I love your choice to tell it with only dialogue and no other exposition than that. I always did wonder why the people closest to Avon never called him "Kerr", not even Anna Grant or his own brother in the Zen hallucination moment.
Edited by Rainesz on 23 April 2017 07:38:53

Rainesz
@BradPaula: I'm with Travisina-- I always thought that if anyone survived GP besides Avon it would be Vila playing 'possum. I love the team of Grant and Jenna (and also Jenna's reaction upon finding Blake's body). A nice reassembling of a resistance team.

I'm still keen on the idea of there being a "Jenna's 7". We need Jenna's 7 adventures. Wink

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.62 seconds
9,129,535 unique visits since 8th January 2014