Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
April 2017 Ficlet Challenge
Travisina
Rainesz wrote:

I'm still keen on the idea of there being a "Jenna's 7". We need Jenna's 7 adventures. Wink

Still working on it, work in progress...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Hugbot
@Anniew: A fascinating parallel, a great explanation for the 'first-name-lessnes' of the protagonist AND the main antagonist, and brilliant way to tell the story simply in the form of dialogue! Your choice of name for Servalan was also very interesting - Irene, 'the peaceful one'. Something must have gone terribly wrong...

@Paula: Yay, the perfect script for episode 1 of series Eric! Next time you are at a DW con, hijack the Tardis, go back to 1981 and pitch your version for a continuation of B7!

Rainesz
Travisina wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

I'm still keen on the idea of there being a "Jenna's 7". We need Jenna's 7 adventures. Wink

YAY! Awesome! I can't wait! Frown

Travisina
Rainesz wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

There's an awfully long way to go with this (it's been bubbling under for about 5 years) - so do keep prodding me! Otherwise it has a tendency to sink back down the to-do list...

Rainesz
Travisina wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

There's an awfully long way to go with this (it's been bubbling under for about 5 years) - so do keep prodding me! Otherwise it has a tendency to sink back down the to-do list...

Wow! So you've been thinking about this concept for quite awhile! Okay-- Consider me your official prodder. Wink

Travisina
Rainesz wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

Wow! So you've been thinking about this concept for quite awhile! Okay-- Consider me your official prodder. Wink

Oh yes, I have an outline, new characters on standby, several scenes drafted but not connected - it's how to get from point A to point B, and whether point A is in fact the right place to start, maybe point C would be better and then have A & B in flashback. That sort of thing.
Very pleased to have you as official prodder!

littlesue
Did someone mention Cadburys Creme Eggs....................?

Crème de la Crème

“What is it?” Cally asked.
Vila looked at the box on the table in front of the forward couches, “I’m not sure. I think we ought to get Avon and Tarrant up here.”

“These Revels have completely taken over your much vaunted sensibilities,” Tarrant said, pointing at the locked and sealed hold door.
“Really?” Avon asked, standing by that door, arms folded.
“Do you really think that a couple of crates of sweets are going to make your fortune?”
“Possibly?”
“And you’re prepared to go back to Cadbury World and stop those two legitimate business men making an honest, legitimate living.”
“That depends on what you mean by an honest, legitimate living.”
The ‘discussion’ was stopped by Vila’s voice coming over the intercom.
“Avon; Tarrant. You’re needed on the Flight Deck…now!”

By the time they reached the Flight Deck, the others had been joined by Dayna.
“I knew I’d put it down somewhere.”
“What is it?” Cally asked again.
“I think it’s called an Egg.”
Orac supplied the actual answer. “This is, in fact, an Easter Egg. An example of an item produced in the Old Calendar to celebrate a religious event…Easter.”
“But what does it do?” Tarrant asked.
“Well, “Dayna replied, “I picked it up while wondering round that factory, so I presume it’s edible.”
“A chocolate Easter Egg?” exclaimed Avon, “Whatever next?”
“How did you smuggle it out?” Vila asked…then wished he hadn’t. Dayna was notorious for hiding items about her person.
“Simple, with the other boxes of Roses.”
+ Information, + Zen intoned, +Inboard sensors have detected an explosive device primed to activate within five seconds. +
“What?” Cally exclaimed.
“It’s that Egg…” Tarrant declared, throwing himself to the deck.

“I’m sure that you meant well with those Roses, but I think a more thorough taste test should have been called for.”
Mr Cad cast a look of despair at Mr Bury.
“You don’t like them Mr Carnell?” Cad enquired of their newly arrived visitor.
“Mr Cad, in a word, no.”
“Oh,” Mr Bury sighed.
“But we have sent something else along for the new President,” Cad explained excitedly, “It’s a new venture suggested to us by an anonymous admirer. It’s an Egg.”
“An Egg?”
“Yes,” said Mr Bury,” It’s a large chocolate Egg which explodes and sends a shower of smaller eggs over all your guests. We decided to call them Cadbury’s Crème Eggs.”
“Did you say explodes?” Carnell was horrified, “You do realise that the new President will consider it a threat upon her life, don’t you? I shall have to intercept that shipment before it reaches her. Do you have something to placate her? After all, this party that she is holding will, hopefully, secure her position as President once and for all.”
“Well, we have something we’ve been working on. It’s a Cadbury’s Flake…”began Mr Cad.
“..Only the crumbliest, flakiest milk chocolate tastes like chocolate never tasted before,” Mr Bury concluded.
Carnell took the proffered box and hurriedly made an exit.
“But what about the other egg?” Mr Cad said.
Mr Bury swallowed, “You don’t think that young woman took it? Do you?”

Avon took the full force of the Cadburys Crème Eggs that exploded from the innocent looking Easter Egg.
“That does it!!”
“Oh, I don’t know,” Tarrant smiled, looking at Dayna sitting amidst the carnage, thoroughly enjoying the small crème eggs, “At least it’s taken her mind off your Revels!”
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
Oh thank goodness...I was beginning to fear we wouldn't get anotger episode of The Chocolate Sagas this month. If only I liked cream eggs... now if it had been Avon covered in Guerlain chocolate shells I would have been in heaven. Mentally changing the name of the chocs. Very funny idea though!!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Mistletoe12
Embryonic

Vila didn't receive many presents.

His mother occasionally managed to buy a toy from the 'seconds' stall. “The vendor told me these are popular,” she said, ruffling his hair.

Vila stared at the gift she'd pressed into his hand, “This is really mine?”

Edie Restal scooped him onto her lap, smiling lovingly as she watched his tiny five-year old fingers tear the shiny foil wrapper. It took a split second to reveal a chocolate treat, shaped like a chicken's egg.

Vila immediately brought it to his mouth, biting into milk chocolate on the outside and a white chocolate layer on the inside. His baby teeth struck plastic; a yellow capsule containing a toy. He squealed excitedly, handing it to his mother, and with her assistance they assembled a treasure chest complete with gold coins.

He relished the chocolate taste but loved the toys.

Vila’s collection increased; they played a guessing game, what toy would be inside. He was never disappointed with the contents; there were helicopters and hopping frogs, and he had a Gnome range – one with its backside on display. He cherished each and every toy his mother brought home.

It wasn't hard to smuggle his collection on board the London, turning to his childhood treasures to alleviate his fears, they travelled with him on the Liberator.

Vila always kept a single toy in his tunic pocket: a hand-painted Pharaoh slouched on his throne. Lying in bed during his informative years, he'd imagined Alpha grades living their lives this way, indulgence rather than worrying about having enough food to feed their families and clothes to cover their children.

Liberator's destruction wiped out his entire collection; they'd lost Cally on Terminal and he'd held on tightly to the Pharaoh - there wasn't time to mourn.

Vila felt anxious all the time on Xenon – his drinking increased, especially following their dealings with Egrorian. He’d desperately clutched the faded Pharaoh to his chest while Avon called out his name on the shuttle. The toy anchored him into believing he would survive.

It came with him to Gauda Prime, witness to the carnage, a shot from a trooper and Vila felt it tumble from his pocket. Hazy memories played in his head as he hit the floor; his beloved mother, separation, survival, friendship and the life he would never live; stomped out the same way as his toy, at the mercy of the Federation.

Anniew
Oh Mistletoe this is a brilliant story, brilliantly written and so moving. Thank you. A real gut punch of a read.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Hugbot
@LittleSue: Hooray, the Revels saga continues! A highly amusing little tale; thank you for making me smile after a long and exhausting day!

@Mistletoe: Heartwrenchingly beautiful! Loved it!

littlesue
Oh Kinder Eggs.
I've had to munch my way through loads of those because Daughter No. 1 wanted the entire collection of My Little Pony Toys!
Then she had loads of the really big Kinder Eggs with just 2 different toys in them!
Still, it was nice to snaffle the chocolate..
Anniew...Guerlain Shells?
Hmm...................
Mistletoe...what a lovely warm fluffy story and then a brilliant, but sad and touching ending.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
@Littlesue - hoorah, another chapter in the ongoing chocolate saga! Creme Eggs were great before they changed the recipe. You used to get them in egg-boxes of 6, now you only get five. But I don't like them any more, anyway, so ner to Cadbury's. Your story was fun, though!

@Annie - Avon covered in chocolate shells... now you've started me thinking, what chocolate would I like Avon covered in? Probably Lindor truffles - divine and B7-connected!

@Mistletoe - thank you for your Vila / Kinder Surprise story! Very moving, and with some lovely attention to detail.

Hubby and I used to enjoy Kinder Surprises too, though we called them 'Eggs of Numbing Inevitability' after this quote by comedian Bill Bailey:
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. That's why I buy Kinder Surprise. Horrible chocolate; nasty little toy: a double-whammy of disillusionment! Sometimes I eat the toy out of sheer despair. I call them the Eggs Of Numbing Inevitability.

Travisina
Paradox

Vila had tired of teaching Orac riddles. It seemed that the computer's enthusiasm for these was insatiable, and Vila was now weary of trying to remember old jokes or invent new ones. Thinking it may shut Orac up for a while, he asked:

"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

"A paradox!" Orac exclaimed with delight. "Which indeed...?" it fell into whirring silence as it considered the problem.

"I'm surprised you even know what an egg is," commented Avon. "They're a rare delicacy on Earth."

"Available to Alphas and officer class only," said Tarrant, in a rare moment of agreement with Avon.

"But also available to a Delta thief," grinned Vila. "I once acquired a box full. Sold most of them, but kept some for myself. They were delicious."

Dayna shrugged. "We ate plenty of them on Sarran - bird eggs, reptile eggs. Fish eggs were my favourite."

"On Auron, eggs are not eaten. They are a precious source of life, to be valued and protected." Cally's disapproval was palpable.

Ignoring the inane conversation swirling around him, Orac engaged in research, fascinated to learn that eggs were not just edible embryos, but symbolically used in death rituals by cultures across the Galaxy. This was not exclusive to humans, as demonstrated by the artefact Cally had retrieved from the Alien's space-faring tomb, and which nearly led to their enslavement. Orac prudently decided not to share this particular discovery with the crew.

As Liberator orbited Terminal, Orac was glad that Avon had taken away his key. He would be able to research the planet, uninterrupted by humans making trivial demands on his resources. It was a fascinating artificial world, designed to evolve new life forms. But using his predictive capabilities to investigate its future, Orac discovered that this source of life was also the harbinger of death.

Without his key, he was unable to warn the humans. Orac tried to share the information with Zen via direct sensory link, but it was too late. The ship was damaged beyond repair; one by one the circuits were shutting down. Zen lapsed briefly into alien speech, and then fell silent.

Sensing his own existence would end with the destruction of the Liberator, Orac made a final, desperate attempt to communicate with the two humans remaining on board – the young girl and the fool. Exerting its external controls, Orac commandeered the last vestiges of Zen's damaged speech circuits, telling them in Zen's voice:

"I have failed you. I am sorry."

It was ironic, Orac pondered afterwards, that it was Vila who saved him. The fool, the teller of jokes, the riddle-maker – the one who introduced him to the chicken-and-egg paradox. How strange that he should be the one to rescue Orac from the stricken ship, teleporting him down to the planet of life and death - the planet that was shaped like an egg.

Rainesz
Oh, Travisina: awesome story! And brilliant use of the egg theme leading them to egg-shaped Terminal. (I love the other crew members talking about their egg memories, and Cally's disdain.)

Vila saves the day and Orac! Unsure Unfortunately there's that "70 kilos" incident to come, though.

Rainesz
@Mistletoe, what a heartbreaking story. Very beautifully written! I love that Vila held onto his toys through adulthood as good luck charms. Until Gauda Prime, sadly.

@Littlesue-- yes, chocolate-covered Avon. Now look what you started. Wink
Mmmm, I'll have to go with Dove chocolates, which is my favorite brand in the States here. Milky Ways, my other favorite, might be too gooey...
...or not? (ponders)

Mistletoe12
@Travisina: (Paradox) Yup, never underestimate Vila. Also, Zen's final words, always sad to read/hear, whether through Orac or Zen. (You Were Very Beautiful) Holy, Moly ... that was brutal and clever; exactly in Travis' nature.

@Sue: (Crème de la Crème) So much fun, Sue! Made me smile during the entire read!

@Annie: First ficlet is sad and beautiful. And your second, my favourite; you nailed Servalan's personality. You're such a clever writer!

@Rainesz: (The Visitor) Lovely read - I prefered Cally Junior to the original ... as it were!

@TT: (Bad Egg) Eggcellently funny!

@Hugbot: (Story Time) (Vila's final words are the perfect ending to this story ... though I loved Avon's pragmatism) - (The Corridor) Brilliant Story: hopeful and timely!

Re: My Vila/Kinder Egg Story - I have many fond memories of those eggs from Minor's primary school days. I lost count how many Kinders we bought; they were hugely popular and like many, the chocolate wasn't always eaten, but the toys were great: silly, fun and a lovely way to wind down post school with kids TV in the background and my son sitting on my lap. Good times! PS: We still have all those Kinder Egg Toys stored in a box ... including the Gnome, Frogs and Pharaoh ranges.

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:
Creme Eggs were great before they changed the recipe.

You could make your own enormous one: Pimp That Snack - Crème Egg!

Rainesz
@Rainesz: (The Visitor) Lovely read - I prefered Cally Junior to the original ... as it were!

Thank you, Mistletoe!
Everybody likes Cally Junior! She needs to come back for another story. Wink

Argh, two days left and I'm stumped for an egg theme that hasn't been used yet! Sad

Rainesz
I take that back...

Omelette

"Omelettes!" announced Vila in triumph right after he had materialized in the teleport room. The rest of the crew (with the exception of Blake) had gathered to witness the treasure Vila had "obtained".

The crew stared back at the small man who was holding what looked like a giant bespeckled orange and blue egg.

"Omelettes for EVERYONE! Omelettes for a whole week!" he continued to proclaim.

"I bet you've never had an omelette in your life," Jenna scoffed as they surrounded him for a closer inspection of the huge egg.

"I have so! Just not with real eggs. 'Simulated egg product', I think they called it. But look at this beauty!" He grinned with pride, hefting it in his arms a bit awkwardly to show it off.

"That alarms me," said Gan with quiet wariness.

"Where did you acquire... that?" Avon asked with louder wariness.

"Why, it was sitting right out there in the—Oh!" And then the outlandish egg slipped out of his arms and fell with a splat! onto the floor of the teleport room.

"So much for breakfast," Avon muttered. "And I was so hoping for truffles as well."

"Awwww!" Vila moaned, then looked quizzically down at the mess.

It began to move.

Vila yelped and ran behind Gan.

"Ewwwwwww!" cried Jenna as something slimy began to crawl out of the pieces of broken eggshell.

"Ewwwwww!" agreed Vila, peering from behind Gan.

"I'll kill it," said Avon casually, drawing his handgun.

"NO!" Cally cried, leaping in front of the squirming slime protectively. "It might be harmless!"

Avon rolled his eyes. "Does that really matter?"

"Yes! It looks to me like a cephalopod and they're very intelligent creatures!"

"An even better reason to kill it," Avon said, lifting his gun again.

At this instant, Blake finally entered the teleport room, yawning. "WHAT the hell is all the racket in here—?"

Suddenly the slippery tentacled creature made a surprisingly fast beeline for Blake and wrapped itself around his shins, making piteous chirping noises.

"Now will you let me kill it?" Avon pleaded.

"You can't! You might hit Blake too!" Jenna snapped.

"I fail to see the dilemma."

Blake glared at Avon, then said with forced calm: "What is this... thing... attached to my leg?"

Cally approached and crouched down. "It's a baby cephalopod. Like a Terran octopus. Oh, Blake, I think it ran—or rather, it slithered—to you for protection." She grinned. "I think it likes you!"

"Please let me kill it," Avon begged.

Blake looked down at the bizarre beast entwining him. "Er... hello, little fellow. Nice little fellow." It mewled back at him with wet gurgling noises. "Really, Cally, we can't keep it as a pet. It might grow to the size of a small moon. Quick, Jenna, toss me a bracelet."

Avon was suddenly fascinated. "Well now, that actually might be quite useful. A giant tentacled minion at my... I mean, our beck and call..."

Blake snapped the bracelet onto one of the tentacles. "Now back to the teleport you go, little... er...thing. Back to your mummy or... designated parental unit. Jenna— activate the teleport—NOW!"

The creature whined in despair as it vanished. The room was silent but for Blake's sigh of relief.

"Poor little guy," Vila pouted.

They all turned and glared at him.

He grinned sheepishly and shrugged. "So— pancakes then?"
Edited by Rainesz on 29 April 2017 08:42:45

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
9,914,118 unique visits since 8th January 2014