Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,218
· Newest Rebel: Jason

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [27 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [29 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [21 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 179
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Anniew
Im always so grateful when folk manage to analyse something I just enjoyed and show me why that enjoyment wasnt misplaced. And the things this blog has given me to watch out for! I love it.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
Travisina
What Joe said. And Annie.

Such a brilliant blog, and I second - third - the requests for a book version.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Zonda
Thank you all, for the kind messages!

So here it is, the final act. The last post for Watching Blake's 7. I'm a bit sad to see it end, but also after 293,000 words, I've run out of things of say!

But one thing I will say again and again, is that Blake's 7 is a wonderful series, which has my full admiration for getting made in the first place. Something of which I have returned to for this final post.
https://watchingb...-all-that/

I'll still be popping into Horizon and sticking my nose in from time to time, so you haven't quite seen the last of me.

All the best, Tim
 
Zonda
Hello again!
Hope everyone is well out there, and you are all looking after yourselves.
For those who fancy a little light reading I've created a version 2 of 'The Chairs of Blake's 7'. It's got 24 extra chairs in it, for my shame.
https://watchingb...-blakes-7/
Will aim to do a little tidying of the rest of Watching Blake's 7 over the next few weeks too - it's amazing how quickly links are taken down or changed.
Take care all.
Tim
 
briggsy1
For all of us stuck at home, your reappearance couldn't be more timely Zonda. Looking forward to reading this as I do all of your articles.
 
Joe Dredd
Great work again, Tim.

Now you have we wondering what the table in Cally's cabin is - the one in the foreground with tubular metal 'hooks' (in the 'Sarcophagus' photo shown for the Eames Aluminium Group Management Chair). It looks like the frame supporting the glass top must be supported by a tubular frame that joins up as two parallel tubes to run down the back and then presumably spreads out into a wider base.
 
littlesue
Tim, this is so fascinating. Me thinks a book of some nature might be order..'The Chairs of B7 and other little details@. It would go nicely alongside the yet to be written book 'The Costumes of B7'...won't it Gary?
I'm going through The Champions at the mo and I keep looking at other things now. For instance the cars...and I found that someone has been doing this already! Even naming the type of bus in the background! My fave though, is spotting the various items that the set dresser uses...plus the redressed sets. These are the unsung heroes of any series!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
Zonda
briggsy1 wrote:

For all of us stuck at home, your reappearance couldn't be more timely Zonda. Looking forward to reading this as I do all of your articles.


Very kind Briggsy1. Nice to be back!
 
Zonda
littlesue wrote:

Tim, this is so fascinating. Me thinks a book of some nature might be order..'The Chairs of B7 and other little details@. It would go nicely alongside the yet to be written book 'The Costumes of B7'...won't it Gary?
I'm going through The Champions at the mo and I keep looking at other things now. For instance the cars...and I found that someone has been doing this already! Even naming the type of bus in the background! My fave though, is spotting the various items that the set dresser uses...plus the redressed sets. These are the unsung heroes of any series!


Oh these are all great ideas. The set dressings are ones I really enjoy looking out for. That weird cone shaped thing that Travis walks past on the surface of Star One, pops up in a fair few Doctor Who. Those kinds of details I love. Thanks for the kind words.
 
Zonda
Joe Dredd wrote:

Great work again, Tim.

Now you have we wondering what the table in Cally's cabin is - the one in the foreground with tubular metal 'hooks' (in the 'Sarcophagus' photo shown for the Eames Aluminium Group Management Chair). It looks like the frame supporting the glass top must be supported by a tubular frame that joins up as two parallel tubes to run down the back and then presumably spreads out into a wider base.


I've had a look a few times for that table. But no luck yet. The search will go on. Frustratingly there are a number of tables that look similar to the round table that features on the flight deck in Trial, Sarcophagus and Terminal. Will not stopping looking out for it! Hope all is well with you!
 
Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
The set dressings are ones I really enjoy looking out for. That weird cone shaped thing that Travis walks past on the surface of Star One, pops up in a fair few Doctor Who. Those kinds of details I love.


There's a Prop & Costume spotting thread on the Doctor Who subforum of Roobarb's forum. They post where all manner of chairs, computer panels, costumes, props etc are reused or appear in other shows. ("Was this the same spiral staircase seen out the window of Doomwatch? It's not the one we see in B7 Rescue."). They occasionally have B7 elements (Liberator control panels on the wall of a spaceship in Full Circle, a big circular panel behind Blake when held by the System appears in Destiny of the Daleks, I think it was, that famous lounge the Space Rats have, etc). I would love to steal them all and post them here.

Your revamped chairs blog reminds me that this is yet another important element of creating a TV show. When done right, I don't even notice. If it jars however, it's like the costumes in B7 "Killer", dragging you out of the story. It's amazing to consider that someone has to think about the empty studio space and make it into a practical, functional and 'realistic' (within the parameters of the story) environment. I think perhaps that's why there are so many chairs in the various sets you show - it gives the actors more choice of how to interact with the space, as well as implying there are more people around (somewhere).
 
Zonda
Joe Dredd wrote:

Zonda wrote:
The set dressings are ones I really enjoy looking out for. That weird cone shaped thing that Travis walks past on the surface of Star One, pops up in a fair few Doctor Who. Those kinds of details I love.


There's a Prop & Costume spotting thread on the Doctor Who subforum of Roobarb's forum. They post where all manner of chairs, computer panels, costumes, props etc are reused or appear in other shows. ("Was this the same spiral staircase seen out the window of Doomwatch? It's not the one we see in B7 Rescue."Wink. They occasionally have B7 elements (Liberator control panels on the wall of a spaceship in Full Circle, a big circular panel behind Blake when held by the System appears in Destiny of the Daleks, I think it was, that famous lounge the Space Rats have, etc). I would love to steal them all and post them here.

Your revamped chairs blog reminds me that this is yet another important element of creating a TV show. When done right, I don't even notice. If it jars however, it's like the costumes in B7 "Killer", dragging you out of the story. It's amazing to consider that someone has to think about the empty studio space and make it into a practical, functional and 'realistic' (within the parameters of the story) environment. I think perhaps that's why there are so many chairs in the various sets you show - it gives the actors more choice of how to interact with the space, as well as implying there are more people around (somewhere).


It's such an overlooked consideration. As I grew up, 'production values' always seemed to be defined by the quality of the set, rather than the whole package. Theatre production, and the limitations that come with it, are the very things that are so impressive. Making something out of very little, really thinking about use of space, lighting, where there is detail, and where there is none. This is why I love multi-camera studio drama, I really miss it, it feels so immediate.

The Rhubarb sub forum sounds great. I've struggled to get on to Roobarb in the past. Last time around I got nowhere and I couldn't work out why. I think I gave up rather than contact an administrator. Must try again one day soon. If you ever feel compelled to share the link on that forum, please feel free Joe.

Oh, and still looking for that tubular chrome and glass table! Unsure
 
Joe Dredd
Try this, Tim: Most recent page of Prop & Costume Spotting thread.

A lot of early posts have suffered from Photobucket pulling down services, so I've linked to the end of the thread, rather than the start. Hopefully it will work for you, but if not, try editing the url to a lower page number - say in the low 40s - and see if that works.

Just looking at the current page I can see some panels in Doctor Who that I'm sure we saw in B7 S4, and also that part of the flight deck of the London was a big gun in a James Bond movie!

(And here at a random dip are the high-backed chairs from 'Gambit" in "Ambassadors of Death".)

You might also like this website of a scenic decorations fabricator - they make fireplaces, wooden shutters, columns, shields and heraldic emblems, foliage, dirt patches full of skulls, etc, all out of plastic ready for you to paint and use to dress your set. You might recognise good old H061 and D048 as a familiar sight in many SF programmes: Peter Evans Studios - Metal Parts. Click on 'Scenic Embellishments' to go to the top and download the catalogue as a PDF.
 
Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
Making something out of very little, really thinking about use of space, lighting, where there is detail, and where there is none.


I love the travelling subsurface shuttle in Death-watch - just a couple of chairs and a shining light passing across to show movement. There's a similar effect in another episode to give us a moving lift.
 
briggsy1
Redemption possibly - with Blake and Norm in the service lift?
 
Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Zonda wrote:
Making something out of very little, really thinking about use of space, lighting, where there is detail, and where there is none.


I love the travelling subsurface shuttle in Death-watch - just a couple of chairs and a shining light passing across to show movement. There's a similar effect in another episode to give us a moving lift.

Years ago, I was assistant editor on a top notch Granada TV period drama The Heat of the Day. Set during WW2, there was a scene that takes place in London at night, in a taxi, during the blackout. They filmed the exterior shots of the taxi in an unlit back street near Liverpool docks, and the interior taxi in studio. It was a static 1/2 taxi (back seats only), with the camera filming the actors, and red and white lights mounted on rails on either side wheeled past to simulate passing traffic. They had stagehands rocking the taxi for movement, plus rain. When the interior and exterior shots were cut together, the whole thing worked beautifully.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
27,290,878 unique visits since 8th January 2014