Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 18

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,057
· Newest Rebel: macrascal

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [31 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [19 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 131
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Zonda
Hi all,
Here's the next instalment.
'The Keeper' - a mixed bag for me, but plenty to talk about.
Hope there is something of interest within the ramblings.
All the best, Tim.
https://watchingb...he-middle/

Child Of Auron
Another great review Tim. I look forward to every new update.

It never occurred to me before that this was the last time we saw the gun rack on the flight deck. We had a full 14 episodes ahead of us with the Liberator and plenty of gun use but we never again got to see where they were stored.

briggsy1
Always found the Keeper a bit dull.

Travisina
Excellent blog, Tim! I was especially interested in your analysis about the mid-point of the episodes.

In my previous incarnation as a film editor, I worked on dramas for both the BBC and commercial TV. Beeb dramas were great - up to 58 uninterrupted minutes to play with.

Up to the early noughties, ITV drama episodes had three parts of equal length - they were written and structured like 3-act plays, with mini-cliffhangers to bring the audience back after the ad breaks.

But in 2005, when I was in the middle of editing three episodes of Fat Friends for Yorkshire TV, it suddenly changed - there would now be FOUR parts to an ITV drama, of unequal length. Parts 1 and 4 had to be short - approx 10-12 minutes. Parts 2 and 3 had to be longer - approx 15-18 minutes. There now had to be 3 cliffhangers. But the scripts had already been written and shot according to the 3-act structure. We were in the later stages of editing, with the transmission deadline looming.

Cue long days, nights and weekends in the edit suite, as the director and I wrestled with shortening the first parts and moving some of their scenes into part two, doing the reverse for part four, and somehow creating new cliffhangers in scenes that weren't designed to be cliff-hanger-y.

As the studio canteen closed at 6pm and at weekends, we'd have the same Dominos Pizza delivered to the studios every night and weekend lunchtimes - large Vegorama & a bottle of coke (saved having to think about what to eat - no time to peruse the menu!). Haven't been able to eat it since. Happy days Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Zonda
Travisina wrote:

Excellent blog, Tim! I was especially interested in your analysis about the mid-point of the episodes.

In my previous incarnation as a film editor, I worked on dramas for both the BBC and commercial TV. Beeb dramas were great - up to 58 uninterrupted minutes to play with.

Up to the early noughties, ITV drama episodes had three parts of equal length - they were written and structured like 3-act plays, with mini-cliffhangers to bring the audience back after the ad breaks.

But in 2005, when I was in the middle of editing three episodes of Fat Friends for Yorkshire TV, it suddenly changed - there would now be FOUR parts to an ITV drama, of unequal length. Parts 1 and 4 had to be short - approx 10-12 minutes. Parts 2 and 3 had to be longer - approx 15-18 minutes. There now had to be 3 cliffhangers. But the scripts had already been written and shot according to the 3-act structure. We were in the later stages of editing, with the transmission deadline looming.

Cue long days, nights and weekends in the edit suite, as the director and I wrestled with shortening the first parts and moving some of their scenes into part two, doing the reverse for part four, and somehow creating new cliffhangers in scenes that weren't designed to be cliff-hanger-y.

As the studio canteen closed at 6pm and at weekends, we'd have the same Dominos Pizza delivered to the studios every night and weekend lunchtimes - large Vegorama & a bottle of coke (saved having to think about what to eat - no time to peruse the menu!). Haven't been able to eat it since. Happy days Smile

Ouch. Sounds like a long haul! I've noticed that in ITV dramas. In fact that I seem to remember that, even in entertainment shows that the final part would be shorter. Im guessing the ad breaks were shorter in duration too? I'm interested in when the 50 minute slot started - I'm guessing in the mid 1950's when ITV came on the scene, and I assume it was maybe a thing in America already? I'm making guesses here. I'm doing a post in the far future about editing - would be interesting to get your professional take on a non professional opinion! Smile T.

Travisina
Zonda wrote:
I'm doing a post in the far future about editing - would be interesting to get your professional take on a non professional opinion! Smile T.

I'd be delighted!

Zonda
Next post is up.
Mission to Destiny.
I decided I wanted to talk about the little details too (as usual.)
Expect chairs.
https://watchingb...e-details/
All the best, Tim

Joe Dredd
Great! I was just wondering when we might see another instalment.

I haven't had time to comment on them recently Tim but I'm still reading them and enjoying them (and learning from them).

I could do with some good cheer so this and this week's pre-announcement of the Goodies DVD release all help.

Joe Dredd
Like a never-ending crossword.

Hmm, this sounds like a tip-off to the clever things hidden in the article. Let's see what we can find.

Boffin. Egghead. Anorak. Nerd. Ordinary human being. Take your pick.

Ah! Here's the first one - BEANO.
Boffin.
Egghead.
Anorak.
Nerd.
Ordinary human being.

Travisina
I really enjoyed your latest blog, Tim. And I doff my hat at the crossword genius that is Joe Dredd!

Joe Dredd
"Flightless bird from Iceland (6,7)"

It's got to be frozen chicken, right?

GoldChannel
brilliant blog Smile

briggsy1
you have to love Mission to Destiny. Kerr Avon turns into Miss Marple for one episode.

Zonda
Joe Dredd wrote:

Like a never-ending crossword.

Hmm, this sounds like a tip-off to the clever things hidden in the article. Let's see what we can find.

Boffin. Egghead. Anorak. Nerd. Ordinary human being. Take your pick.

Ah! Here's the first one - BEANO.
Boffin.
Egghead.
Anorak.
Nerd.
Ordinary human being.

Joe - this is fab! You see things that us mere mortals cannot! So glad you are still reading this tripe - I always enjoy your contributions and feedback greatly! Smile

Zonda
GoldChannel wrote:

brilliant blog Smile

Thanks so much GoldChannel. Smile

Zonda
briggsy1 wrote:

you have to love Mission to Destiny. Kerr Avon turns into Miss Marple for one episode.

Those summing up scenes are perfect murder mystery television! The way everyone is positioned while Avon walks back and forth.

Zonda
Hi all,

I've managed to sneak in another post before a short hiatus for the summer. This one is about Rumours of Death, and I hope you enjoy it. I found some nice photos of the location too, which Id not seen before.

https://watchingb...out-death/

Very best wishes, Tim

Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
Joe - this is fab! You see things that us mere mortals cannot!

I'm still convinced the 'tapered squares' photo is some kind of fiendish crossword grid you've left us to solve.

Zonda wrote:
So glad you are still reading this tripe

Tripe?! (Splutter splutter!) It's gold man, gold! Or at least, tripe with onions.

Travisina
Zonda wrote:

Hi all,

I've managed to sneak in another post before a short hiatus for the summer. This one is about Rumours of Death, and I hope you enjoy it. I found some nice photos of the location too, which Id not seen before.

https://watchingb...out-death/

Very best wishes, Tim

Terrific, Tim! Great blog about one of the very best of the best eps.

Zonda
Hi all. It's been a while. But I'm back with some more ramblings about this, that and the other.
This time I'm looking at 'Power', an episode that I have always been fond of for reasons to do with the episode and reasons that are not. Anyway I hope you enjoy.
https://watchingb...ing-a-fan/
Best wishes, Tim

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
16,092,695 unique visits since 8th January 2014