Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,050
· Newest Rebel: Drewbristol

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [30 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [18 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 129
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Joe Dredd
Angry Angel wrote:

Another great review Tim, reminding me of just how good this episode is. I especially liked this: "Back on Centero, Cally detains the staff inside an IKEA warehouse. And like IKEA, its a tense affair with lots of waiting. Endless waiting."

I've always thought that the fact that they didn't notice that they'd left Cally behind shows how un-military the crew are.

This part always felt like a bit of lazy Terry Nationism to me. It serves the plot at the expense of the characters, just like Vila dropping the gun in "Spacefall" or getting the corridors mixed up in "Countdown".

Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:

...and from near the end, to near the beginning.

You're on fire, Tim! And rapid fire, too, the way these are coming out. Please keep them coming!

Zonda
Thanks all for the feedback, as always. It is always appreciated.

And on we go, with a long, tired train ride from London to deepest darkest Devon, allowing me to find the time to write about the episode of Blake's 7 that is my guilty pleasure - Voice from the Past.

https://watchingb...-the-past/

Angry Angel
Great review Zonda, I really appreciate all your comments about ensembles, very true that it's the familiar characters that keep us watching. I didn't used to be a fan of VFTP, but it's grown on me, especially as the subtitles on the DVDs now mean I know what Shivan is saying - I didn't have a clue before!

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Zonda
Angry Angel wrote:

Great review Zonda, I really appreciate all your comments about ensembles, very true that it's the familiar characters that keep us watching. I didn't used to be a fan of VFTP, but it's grown on me, especially as the subtitles on the DVDs now mean I know what Shivan is saying - I didn't have a clue before!

Thats a good point Angry Angel, I could have accessed the subtitles when I watched it. Mind you, if I had, I might have lost the fun of trying to translate him!

Child Of Auron
I have to admit to a soft spot towards VFTP. I quite liked the early scenes on Liberator.

Though it never occurred to me that the production team were focusing more on the Avon/Cally dynamic knowing these two would effectively be the "leads" in the next season. Good spot Zonda

Joe Dredd
Mule Train!

Count Prince Miller, Cy Grant, any others to add to this auspicious list?

Zonda
Joe - Mule Train is quite something! Great energy in the video I watched.

Child of Auron - me too. Whether the Avon/Cally thing was purposely written with the next season in mind, I don't know, but it certainly feels right.

Zonda
Hi all,

As we near the Christmas holidays I though I'd clutch at straws at what might be considered Blake's 7's most festive offering. I could only think of Gambit, or Sarcophagus, through Ken Ledsham's liberal use of tinsel, or Rescue - as it has a bit of snow in it.

So Rescue it is. https://watchingb...rformance/

I quite enjoyed this one. In fact this is an episode that I had a very different experience in viewing, thanks to this out of order apprach to watching the series.

Have a great holiday all, and I'll post the next blog post on Jan 2nd. Seems as good a date as any to post something.

All the best, Tim

Anniew
Great review. Really enjoy reading your stuff. Always challenging .. unpretentious... genuine...unusual...informative.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

briggsy1
I second that. Keep up the good work.
I still remember the review of Rescue on Points of View.They showed a clip of the final scene, and from the look on Barry Took's face he wasn't impressed,

winnie-l
Yay! Thank you Maestro for your glowing review - Rescue is one of my favs! :-]

In fact I like it so much, "rescue" is my current laptop's name.... and it has been perfectly sterling/robust. Never a problem.
Bless!
Edited by winnie-l on 23 December 2017 15:23:11

Endless Midnight
briggsy1 wrote:

I second that. Keep up the good work.
I still remember the review of Rescue on Points of View.They showed a clip of the final scene, and from the look on Barry Took's face he wasn't impressed,

I think that was for the repeat in June 1983. Although when it was originally broadcast, Points Of View did get a complaint from someone that it wasn't as good as 'Freebie and the Bean', the series it was replacing in that slot.

Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
As we near the Christmas holidays I though I'd clutch at straws at what might be considered Blake's 7's most festive offering. I could only think of Gambit, or Sarcophagus, through Ken Ledsham's liberal use of tinsel, or Rescue - as it has a bit of snow in it.

Tim, I think "Blake" is the most festive episode. For my incredibly logical reasons why, please see my entries on this theme on day 24 of our B7 Advent calendar! Click!

Heidi
Zonda wrote:

I'd agree with that.
It's so varied. I have a lot of time of every episode with the exception of Stardrive, Animals and Assassin. But I like say I'm giving them every chance again...(although the case for the prosecution for Assassin was too great.)

But then there are episodes in every series that I struggle with.

Series 3 is my personal favourite. It has it's weaknesses in terms of structure, but I think it was a good idea to move into stand alone stories, which was in keeping with the situation they found themselves in at the time. The trouble is when the stories aren't as good, and there are a few that don't hit the mark for me.

Three and Four are my favorites. I go for the dark stuff and I love the chemistry of these particular casts.

Zonda
Anniew wrote:

Great review. Really enjoy reading your stuff. Always challenging .. unpretentious... genuine...unusual...informative.

Thank you all. These words really much appreciated, and whether the reviews go down well or not, I'm just heartened that people are reading these ramblings, which is all I secretly hope for. And Annie, I really like those choice of words. Definately genuine and I hope unusual!

Heidi, I'm definately in the season C camp. I love the chemistry of the group, and the stories. It's such a liberation to be able to explore a post war, almost post Federation universe.

And Joe, I loved the take on 'Blake' - definately the most festive episode. And thank you for arranging the most excellent advent calendar. I will definately contribute next year. I was a bit rubbish at clearing the decks and committing this year around.

Thanks all for the comments, recollections and so on. It's great corresponding with you all. Have a great new year.
On Jan 2nd I'll publish 2 posts - double the waffle! You have been warned.
All the best, Tim

Joe Dredd
Great, I love waffles!

winnie-l
Joe Dredd wrote:Great, I love waffles!
+CONFIRMED+
! with pulled pork & a robust BBQ sauce !
Make it so, Zonda! (pls?)

Zonda
Waffles are great! One of my favourites! And my daughter is very partial to Birds Eye potato waffles, so win win.

I've been enjoying the recent fanmade logos that have popped up on line thanks to a cheeky claim that the new Doctor Who logo had been 'leaked' (it hasn't) and it gave me the motivation to finish, and bring together all my notes on the title sequences of Blake's 7 and other series around the time it was transmitted.

So here it is.
https://watchingb...tarscapes/
The other two blogs posts for the 40th anniversary will be published tomorrow...

Happy New Year all!

Tim.

Travisina
Another excellent blog, Zonda!

I find title sequences fascinating. Sometimes abstract, sometimes so brief as to be almost non-existent, sometimes they provide the background to the series, set the scene or introduce the characters. Old favourites are Survivors (as you rightly included in your blog - such elegant storytelling in only 50 seconds!), pretty much everything from Gerry Anderson / ITC, especially Thunderbirds and UFO.

More recent faves are:
Dexter for its cheeky intro to the charming, funny and gruesome serial killer
and
True Blood for its awesome theme tune and sleazy deep south vibe.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.63 seconds
15,330,776 unique visits since 8th January 2014