Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 15

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,050
· Newest Rebel: Drewbristol

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [30 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [18 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 129
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Angry Angel
Travisina wrote:

There was also Sara Brown and Hoppity - Hoppity was a one-legged doll that did naughty things for which Sarah got blamed (and punished, 1960s style, by being sent to bed without supper). It was so horribly unfair, I found it disturbing and rather upsetting.

That does look pretty creepy! Now you've reminded me, I always found Hartley Hare to be pretty unnerving.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
boroboy
Hartley Hare was a pretty disturbing character for me, too. I can't quite explain it. Maybe because he looks so mangy - almost disfigured? Like a hare that has been horribly tortured?

Angry Angel
boroboy wrote:

Hartley Hare was a pretty disturbing character for me, too. I can't quite explain it. Maybe because he looks so mangy - almost disfigured? Like a hare that has been horribly tortured?

Yes! And that horrible, creepy voice.

boroboy
The combination of extreme camp and disfigurement is just very very creepy. He's the anti-bagpuss.

Angry Angel
boroboy wrote:

The combination of extreme camp and disfigurement is just very very creepy. He's the anti-bagpuss.

Exactly!

Zonda
Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

There was also Sara Brown and Hoppity - Hoppity was a one-legged doll that did naughty things for which Sarah got blamed (and punished, 1960s style, by being sent to bed without supper). It was so horribly unfair, I found it disturbing and rather upsetting.

That does look pretty creepy! Now you've reminded me, I always found Hartley Hare to be pretty unnerving.

Very much enjoying this thread. The Hare, and Sara Brown have real potential in the creep stakes, but the winner if 'the old man' in the Sara Brown and Hoppity link. I thought the visual appearence would be enough, but the voice!!!???

Zonda
And loosly on the subject of creepy - here is the post you've all been wating for...

Animals.

OK - I feel sure that there are a small loyal group of people who will like this one. To you I say, I watched it with an open mind, and hope that I might find it to be a revelation.

But unfortunately it was not to be.

What I found interesting is, whilst it might sit at position 52 in my all time favourite list of Blake's 7 episodes, it's the post that made me think the most and took the longest time to write. I really wanted to do it some kind of justice. It's still part of this fabulous series.

https://watchingb...9/animals/.

Pfft
Edited by Travisina on 19 November 2017 20:00:43

Travisina
Zonda wrote:

And loosly on the subject of creepy - here is the post you've all been wating for...

Animals.

OK - I feel sure that there are a small loyal group of people who will like this one. To you I say, I watched it with an open mind, and hope that I might find it to be a revelation.

But unfortunately it was not to be.

What I found interesting is, whilst it might sit at position 52 in my all time favourite list of Blake's 7 episodes, it's the post that made me think the most and took the longest time to write. I really wanted to do it some kind of justice. It's still part of this fabulous series.

https://watchingb...9/animals/.

Pfft

I've just read it - another good blog, Tim! The reasons I don't like this ep are the creeptastic Justin and the 'she loves him / she loves him not' ridiculous brainwashing stuff. The highlights for me are the scene with Vila, and Avon skidding on Og poo Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Angry Angel
Yes, a good read for a terrible episode! I have to echo everything you've said about it Travisina.

Zonda
Travisina and Angry - thank you. Much appreciated.

It's tough to get through, but enjoyed writing about it, and waxing lyrical about the slip!
Pfft

Anniew
Tim I loved your comments that this episode didn’t work because it was pretty dull in the main. It was such an astute observation and you’re so right. The Justin/Dayna scenes lack vitality and snap so the whole thing sags. But I love Og. The themes are interesting and add another dimension to Federation rule and the slip, ballast tank scene and final shot of Servalan’s space ship taking off worth the price of admission. Re your comments about the Galactic war, I assumed there had been two wars. Following the Intergalactic war when the Andromendons tried to invade, Federation rule collapsed as climate controls went hay wire and a Galactic war broke out amongst those planets that had been under its rule and Earth. Eventually the Federation regrouped and won back control.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

winnie-l
I hope you will be able to find your older post about Duel - I'd be very interested in hearing your theories.
Best wishes, Tim. :)
Done - here:
http://www.blakes...ad_id=2403

Joe Dredd
there are some obvious re-dressing of sets, such as Servalan’s office as XK72, and the London as the Ortega.
makes an appearance complete with Auron costume.

I'm going to have to check these out. I've either never noticed them or I've forgotten!

If I’m honest, the lack of funds do show a little too obviously in that difficult first season of Blake’s 7.

As you mention, the budget was tight, being the same as the police series it replaced (Z-Cars? Softly Softly Taskforce?), but the shortage of funds was exacerbated by Ian Scoones famously blowing the budget on the first three episodes.

We open on Scorpio. As with so many model shots, the camerawork shows off Scorpio beautifully, although the constraints of the CSO approach mean the end result is slightly less successful than much of the material from the previous three seasons.

I know some of the Scorpio shots are reused with different CSO backgrounds but I wonder - do we have more unique shots of Scorpio than for Liberator? i.e. Does Scorpio, in a single season, trump the Liberator's run in nearly three times as many episodes?

when Dayna arrived on Bucol II and took a goooood look at the damp and drab surroundings, it somehow mirrored my own apathy at this point.

Too true.

Even the soundtrack sounded more like cars on a motorway than anything else.

This too!

After some creepy pleasantries, Justin makes reference to the ‘galactic war’ being a terrible, terrible mistake.

[...snip...]

Still I was left a bit confused by the timeline of the war, assuming this is the same war – Justin mentions 60% losses to the Federation. But it is implied that the work was for the benefit of the war, yet commenced 6 years before the war started and was abandoned before the war was over. I’m sure there’s a simple explanation I’m missing but I felt the description was a bit clumsy none-the-less.

Just like Annie's theory above, Alan Stevens has a great essay (here: Spiral Conflict) postulating that the galactic war was a human-against-human war that followed on from the intergalactic war with the Andromedans. The quotes seem to back it up, though I'm sure that's a happy accident rather than anything intentional. It's a very short article and worth reading.

its the totally impassive look on Avon’s face that is the real moment, a face that communicates to Vila “you will go and do the horrible thing we need to do to fix the ship, but I’m so cool I don’t even need to move a muscle or say a word to communicate this.”

And then I worked it out. Through the series Tarrant is seen to be involved in all the things that Avon feels are unnecessary dangerous, or strategically questionable. But in this scene it is even more than that. Avon is now using Tarrant as a tool to communicate the things that he can’t even be bothered to express facially, or say a word about. That’s really cool. That’s ‘maximum power’ for minimum effort. And there we have it – Avon stands staring at Vila expressionless, as Tarrant does all the hard work, lifting the heavy hatch, and joyously grimacing at Vila’s plight.

This whole section made me smile, until the twist at the end - Tarrant as Avon's sinister henchman!

Back on Scorpio Vila does his thing, only to go straight back down into the tank again,

There's a litte fan fiction story that I can't lay my hands on now ("In Hot Water" by Dayzee Chain, I think) that has Vila coming out on top in this situation. It turns out that doing the work means he gets to have a hot bath (with wine) - but it uses the entire water ration on Scorpio meaning none of the others can shower for several days.

There was another fanfic that suggested the animals were all Justin's missing team mates...

Oh Og – bless him, he’s quite sweet really

He's got a nose like a chokito bar.

Servalan’s one-to-ones with characters beforehand were often sparky affairs, with a delicious energy, and banter. In this case, Servalan’s questioning is slow, gentle and with an underlying whispered sadistic quality.

Possibly she's acting in character (as Sleer) for the benefit of her crew? Does Dayna use her real name in front of anyone in this? I can't remember.

In this entire episode Soolin gets five lines – and one of those lines consists of one word. I can hear David Jackson chuckling to himself as he watched this.

Love it!

When I finished watching this, it occurred to me that ‘Animals’ wasn’t ‘bad’ per se. If anything, its crime is being so joyless – something that is not to easy to pin down. Blake’s 7 is clear no stranger to being dystopian, and residing over grim situations, but at its heart is a joie de vivre that translates through its characterisation, snappy energy, and witty repartee. But not here. The dubious character of Justin is deeply unsympathetic – which in itself isn’t the crime, but when the main guest star is playing someone who lacks any empathy from the audience, everything around him is going to suffer.
When the bit you enjoy most contains an accidental slip from Paul Darrow, you know this is going to be a long ride.

Well observed as usual, Tim. I'm always impressed by how succinctly you nail these things down.

Zonda
Thanks all for the feedback.
Anniew, totally agree. I definitely have a lot of time for Og, and the idea of the Galactic war sounds totally plausible. I wish season C & D had explored that post war universe in a bit more detail. It would have made for some great conflict and adventure. But none-the-less I'm very happy with what we ended up with.

Winnie-I - loved your take on Duel. Excellent. I really liked the idea of the AI and computer programme. I also liked the Banks concept of "recordings" of dead people. That really could have fitted in nicely as a theme, had Terry Nation decided to give us more to go on. This is real food for thought. In fact it has made me more itchy to think about why they needed/wanted to set up the duel, as much as what it represents Thank you.

And Joe, I take great pleasure from your dissections of my dissections. It's good to have a sounding board. Reading the spiral conflict essay is re-wiring my thinkings about the post war universe. I will reading be this again. Ties in with Annie's comments earlier.

Thank you all.
Tim.
Edited by Zonda on 26 November 2017 17:38:40

Zonda
...and from near the end, to near the beginning.

Seek-Locate-Destroy.
Always had a bit of fondness for this one. So much is going on. And there are some killer lines.

https://watchingb...e-destroy/

Hope you enjoy/endure!

All the best, Tim
Edited by Travisina on 26 November 2017 18:53:30

Travisina
Zonda wrote:

Seek-Locate-Destroy.
Always had a bit of fondness for this one. So much is going on. And there are some killer lines.

Hope you enjoy/endure!

All the best, Tim

I enjoyed that a lot, Tim! Especially your look at villains and villainy - the complex grey areas of different characters' motivations are what make B7 so good.

S-L-D was the first episode of I saw, and I too have great fondness for it. (I grew up abroad where B7 wasn't shown, and a visiting friend brought it on VHS, together with the whole of Hitchhikers, which likewise wasn't shown there.) Anyway, she reckoned that if you can only watch one ep, S-L-D was a good introduction to B7, and I agree.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Zonda
Travisina wrote:

Zonda wrote:

Seek-Locate-Destroy.

Hope you enjoy/endure!

All the best, Tim

I enjoyed that a lot, Tim! Especially your look at villains and villainy - the complex grey areas of different characters' motivations are what make B7 so good.

S-L-D was the first episode of I saw, and I too have great fondness for it. (I grew up abroad where B7 wasn't shown, and a visiting friend brought it on VHS, together with the whole of Hitchhikers, which likewise wasn't shown there.) Anyway, she reckoned that if you can only watch one ep, S-L-D was a good introduction to B7, and I agree.

She was totally right. It's funny how sometimes there are other episodes other than the first one which are good points to jump aboard. I guess it's a chance to have a second bite at bringing in a new audience. I noticed that it was one of the highest rated episodes for viewing figures, so I wonder whether the BBC gave it some extra promotion, to help the series along. Either way it worked!

briggsy1
it's a great episode because it establishes the main villiains of the series, and also there's plenty of action, with the B7 crew launching their attack on one of Federation's top security installations. Great dialogue too as has been pointed out. A few weaknesses too: ntably the entire crew suffering bad case of amnesia and Vila cracking jokes with Fed guards.

Angry Angel
Another great review Tim, reminding me of just how good this episode is. I especially liked this: "Back on Centero, Cally detains the staff inside an IKEA warehouse. And like IKEA, it’s a tense affair with lots of waiting. Endless waiting."

I've always thought that the fact that they didn't notice that they'd left Cally behind shows how un-military the crew are. They don't have organised ways of doing things, and they're a set of individuals rather than a cohesive group. It also reminds me of the time I went to Legoland with my husband and parents, with one child in a pushchair and one running around. Despite four pairs of adult eyes, we still managed to lose the mobile child!

littlesue
Angry Angel wrote:

Another great review Tim, reminding me of just how good this episode is. I especially liked this: "Back on Centero, Cally detains the staff inside an IKEA warehouse. And like IKEA, it’s a tense affair with lots of waiting. Endless waiting."

I've always thought that the fact that they didn't notice that they'd left Cally behind shows how un-military the crew are. They don't have organised ways of doing things, and they're a set of individuals rather than a cohesive group. It also reminds me of the time I went to Legoland with my husband and parents, with one child in a pushchair and one running around. Despite four pairs of adult eyes, we still managed to lose the mobile child!

Never mind a mobile child...I lost Hubby in the local garden centre on Sunday! Thank goodness for mobile phones!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
15,330,822 unique visits since 8th January 2014