Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Drasko
One more thing.
Did you write anything about the music, sounds etc...
That would be interesting
Wink

Zonda
Hi Drasko.
Thanks so much. I always try to write a bit about the music and sound towards the bottom of each post - I really love the incidental music, and some of the little motifs that pop up from time to time.
And yes, I enjoy the different pronunciation of 'Vila'- it actually reminded me of some of the early scenes with Gan in Space Fall, who is clearly learning the correct way of saying his name!
It's interesting about how you mentioned about comics - growing up I really enjoyed the John Ridgeway drawn comic strips of Colin Baker's Doctor Who - and there is something about the vice of Freedom City that reminds me of some of the landscapes. I might write about that at some point in a future blog.
Hope your daughter had a good day!

Cheers!

Joe Dredd
I was thinking about your blog last night Tim. I saw a photo of the escape ship (wingless Spacemaster) in "Countdown". It had a power line running to one of those stylish little white lamps with the curved over hood. (I"ve gone blank on the name!)

Zonda wrote:
I enjoy the different pronunciation of 'Vila'- it actually reminded me of some of the early scenes with Gan in Space Fall, who is clearly learning the correct way of saying his name!

It's always odd when two people are talking and they pronounce the name of a planet or person differently, especially when one line comes hot on the heels of another. You'd think person B would hear person A say it and think, "Is that how we're pronouncing it? Righto, I'll go with that too."

The worst example is (of couse) the name Cevedic in "Gambit". I think every person in the show says it differently.

Zonda
Joe Dredd wrote:

I was thinking about your blog last night Tim. I saw a photo of the escape ship (wingless Spacemaster) in "Countdown". It had a power line running to one of those stylish little white lamps with the curved over hood. (I"ve gone blank on the name!)

Zonda wrote:
I enjoy the different pronunciation of 'Vila'- it actually reminded me of some of the early scenes with Gan in Space Fall, who is clearly learning the correct way of saying his name!

It's always odd when two people are talking and they pronounce the name of a planet or person differently, especially when one line comes hot on the heels of another. You'd think person B would hear person A say it and think, "Is that how we're pronouncing it? Righto, I'll go with that too."

The worst example is (of couse) the name Cevedic in "Gambit". I think every person in the show says it differently.

Ha ha! The variation in Cevedic always left me unsure about what the original was meant to be! Although the spelling gives him a healthy monopoly with it comes to a google search.
Edited by Zonda on 09 September 2017 20:30:00

Zonda
Speaking of Vila, here's the latest offering. City at the Edge of the World.

https://watchingb...crossover/

All the best! T.

Joe Dredd
Another solid-gold entry, Tim. I'm could happily read a book of this.

On one hand it stands out a uniquely Blake’s 7 episode, demonstrating a versatility to the format, and bringing out the wonderful focus on relationships, that, for my money, wasn’t at the heart of Doctor Who’s expedition.

Travisina
Zonda wrote:

Speaking of Vila, here's the latest offering. City at the Edge of the World.

https://watchingb...crossover/

Excellent blog on my fave episode! Loved it Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
These considerations are soon forgotten thanks to one of my favourite two hander between Avon and Orac – ‘Well?’ ‘Well is not a question.’ A gag that is maintained through the series run.

Yes, and now some what unimaginatively recycled by Big Finish.

There is a flash of light, and we welcome Kerril. She’s a bit stinky apparently. I love this line. And why not? The pitfalls of being on the move all the time. I started to to wonder about the personal hygene of our ‘seven’ – and could only deduce that they always did alright for themselves. Even Avon got to have a bath in “Rescue.’

There's a great fanfic about Vila being happy to go down into Scorpio's glycolene ballast channels in "Animals" as he'll get a bath out of.

Cally comes face to face with a native of Kazaarn, played by Teresa Critchley, who around this time featured in a comedy called ‘The Gaffer’ – where she played an equally brief role, but one that – image wise – was the polar opposite of a ‘simple native.’

(Sings) "He's the Gaffer!" That show had some great lines ("the charge of the late brigade", etc) but I had to concentrate hard to follow Bill Maynard's accent. It took me years to realise he's the chef in the greasy spoon Robin & Larry work at in the "Man About the House" movie.

And into Narnia we go.

For some reason I was expecting this to link to the Narnia sequence in The Young Ones. I can see Servalan as the White Witch. Turkish Delight, anyone?

But there is a sudden change in character traits in this new environment. Vila takes the lead and Kerril suddenly becomes timid, as they explore the labyrinth together.

I was really interested in Vila’s philosophy – his working out of what is going on based on his reading of the designer of the door. It feels like the perfect method for this character. Blake’s reasoning was largely based on how he could manipulate people to achieve his own aims, Cally’s reasoning was often based on the psyche, Gan’s reasoning was often centered around what was best for the unit as a whole, and Jenna’s reasoning was often based on her own instinct, presumably drawing on her smuggler days. In fact, of all the characters, it is Avon who this reasoning most resembles – not overtly confrontational, but reliant on his own logic and intelligence.

None-the-less, this reasoning leads him on a journey 3000 light years away.

I love all this.

Valentine Dyall’s voice over is another notable moment.

In some ways it's a pity he had to play the ancient voice recording as his voice is so distinctive.

Avon, is aloof, quietly assured in leading from the back

A great description.

I’m not quite sure where she concealed her portable explosive prior to its usage.

One of the Big Finish books - "Mediasphere", I think - explained she carries it disassembled and it forms various items of jewellery she wears.

Gaudy but effective

As ever! (to quote Tarrant's callback in "Deathwatch".)

Vila and Kerril are separated once more and Babe blows everything up with the best facial expression ever, and a pink shaft of a laser beam.

It's an interesting thought; they could've used the destruction of the terminal as the reason why Vila couldn't get back to Kerril, rather than having him decide to leave her on Vilaworld.

Also, even though it's pronounced "Babe", I've always assumed it would be spelt "Bayb" (i.e. shortening of his name rather than a term of endearment - though it would be that too).

I hope it pleased Michael Keating’s daughter.

We never hear, do we? Perhaps someone can ask MK the next time he's at a con or meeting.

Zonda
Hi Joe,
I've not listened to any of the Big Finish, but I'm thinking of starting once I've got through the TV series blog posts. At least that's the plan.
He's the Gaffer - there's something about the title that screams ITV comedy. I'd not come across it before.
It shows what a long day it has been when I misread your comment 'Scorpio's glycolene ballast channels' as 'Servalan's glycolene ballast channels' - which painted a completely different picture.
As for Babe/Bayb - I went for Babe as contrary to his description of his mother, I always imagined her a being a bit of a softy underneath!

Zonda
This time around I've decided to look at a series 4 episode.
The idea for this post came from the use of stock footage in this episode, but also from watching natural history series - namely the opening titles to the BBC's long running 'The World About Us'. So ladies, gentlemen and Molochs - for no good reason - here an exhaustive collection of the world of stock footage in Blake's 7. All the best! Happy
https://watchingb...k-footage/
and the 'The World About Us' video is here.
https://www.youtu...Vvv4escagQ
Edited by Zonda on 23 September 2017 17:21:42

Zonda
Another post is up.

This one is a tribute to my favourite television director, and someone who opened my eyes to the possibilities of directing drama and tension - Douglas Camfield.

I recently finished reading Miwk's 'Directed by Douglas Camfield' by Michael Seely, and it spurred me on to adding my own appreciation of Camfield. So this post is as topical as it gets!

This is a story that starts in a library in Dawlish, Devon in the mid 1980's and ends with the clicking of a 'publish' button over 30 years later, as we venture into the depths of space and attempt to 'dissipate the power' that is 'Duel.'

https://watchingb...-director/

Joe Dredd
Another excellent analysis, Tim.

a killer comeback from Travis

I see what you did there.

Zonda
Joe Dredd wrote:

Another excellent analysis, Tim.

a killer comeback from Travis

I see what you did there.

Ha! Thanks Joe! It makes my day that someone recognises my unsettling rumblings of 'Dad humour' in the posts.

(Actually, what am I saying? Dad humour is a wonderful thing!) Grin

President Solvite
Nowt wrong with Dad humour.. Grin

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
winnie-l
I really really enjoyed your review! Thank you! I profess to be interested in "structure" & behind-the-scenes Making-Of but am 400% too lazy to read anything at all about it; so your detail of examples where Douglas Camfield did good/interesting things in directing 08.Duel, were VERY MUCH appreciated. Please do continue to do more of that! It will add enjoyment to everyone's future watchings of B7 - things to watch for. More please!
And the good character moments you point out, eg Giroc's "excitement in Travis's primal aggression", Yes - more please!

On film, Jenna appears, and is talking all hushed and breathy... until one of those little fluffed lines appear.
Would you be kind enough to be more precise as where that is, what line is fluffed?

Couple things:
too thickly lead on
Do you mean "laid on"?
The exchange between Travis and his muted pilot
Should "muted" be "mutoid"? (or did spellcheck change mutoid to muted?)
(Blame the computer!)

winnie-l
As for the why+wherefore:
Looking at it clinically, we get the gist, and we can fill in the gaps in our own minds.
I have a theory about that & if I can find a Horizon thread for "Duel" may post it.

Zonda
President Solvite wrote:

Nowt wrong with Dad humour.. Grin

Very true! I'm stepping it up in future posts! Mind you I've no one to embarrass with these posts (apart from myself). My 5 y/o daughter seems strangely unmoved.

Zonda
winnie-l wrote:

I really really enjoyed your review! Thank you! I profess to be interested in "structure" & behind-the-scenes Making-Of but am 400% too lazy to read anything at all about it; so your detail of examples where Douglas Camfield did good/interesting things in directing 08.Duel, were VERY MUCH appreciated. Please do continue to do more of that! It will add enjoyment to everyone's future watchings of B7 - things to watch for. More please!
And the good character moments you point out, eg Giroc's "excitement in Travis's primal aggression", Yes - more please!

On film, Jenna appears, and is talking all hushed and breathy... until one of those little fluffed lines appear.
Would you be kind enough to be more precise as where that is, what line is fluffed?

Couple things:
too thickly lead on
Do you mean "laid on"?
The exchange between Travis and his muted pilot
Should "muted" be "mutoid"? (or did spellcheck change mutoid to muted?)
(Blame the computer!)

Winnie-I Thank you! I go blind to what I've written half of the time. And yes I'll happily blame the computer! In fact I've noticed that spellchecks are now being overly keen in both correcting my mistakes, and re-setting itself to a default auto correct setting. So Travis will always be supported by his team of 'Muteds'!
Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, it's heartening that there are a few of you lovely souls actually reading this waffle! But I've enjoyed writing this, although it's hard work - I've put a lot of effort into each one. This is my last one for a little while, spouting this level of bafflegab is draining but I'll be back soon all being well. Although I've not tried to make this too much about the behind the scenes (I think the wonderful Making Blake's 7 twitter account has this nicely wrapped up) I've always been very interested in the creative decisions that the production team have had to make either by design or necessity, so a lot of the 'watching' in 'watchingblakes7' stems from that. That aspect is also something that help fuelled my interest in the demands of television production, and in particular the skill and craft of multi camera studio based dramas. Douglas Camfield is a key player for me.
As for the line you mentioned, it's when Jenna says ‘They beamed it into the ships main screen.’ She does a little fluff. No one's perfect, even a hard nosed smuggler!
I hope you will be able to find your older post about Duel - I'd be very interested in hearing your theories.
Best wishes, Tim. Smile

Angry Angel
Thanks for doing these, Zonda, I really enjoy all the interesting points you bring up.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
This is my last one for a little while

I hope you enjoy your break from these Tim, but please come back and do some more some time! I've enjoyed your analyses immensely, even though I've been a bit busy to properly comment on the last few.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.38 seconds
9,843,372 unique visits since 8th January 2014