Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
President Solvite
Joe Dredd wrote:

Zonda wrote:
Does anyone know anything behind how Gareth Thomas ended up on the location for 'Kairos'?

I think he was working in the area so dropped by to see the old gang or to invite Paul to dinner, or something like that.

Think the RSC was 'just up the road'. It is why he was able to appear in Terminal at relatively short notice

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
I was spending too much time simply enjoying every line of the script

That says it all really, doesn't it?

Anniew
Though Paul seems to muck up the line by reading in a comma, as if calling Vila "Stupid".

I thought that was the point of the line...Avon saying that even a stupid person could justify that the information was stupid.

I do like your blogs Zonda...always give me a fresh perspective on an episode. I agree with you that despite the misogyny - Ben Steeds's scripts zip along at a refreshingly energetic pace. It's something I miss from new Who...too much, "am I a good man" stuff and not enough galloping action.

Zonda
Joe - thanks again, that's a nice record to have broken! Grin
RE Moloch - that's a good point, I got the impression that Grose thought that Servalan had traveled all that away due to to the legion. But that sounded like his ego, and arrogance - something that Steed writes pretty well.

I hadn't thought about the fact that objects are placed on or under Zen's 'dome' - that's going to drive the fan(atic) in me to insane proportions!

Totally agree about Dayna - her journey was more noticeable than other characters, and with that I felt that was a missed opportunity throughout series 4, which seems to paint a more one dimensional character than the material she got in series 3.

Oh, and loved Hancocks Half Hour, although the title sequence of 'Hancock' where he turns around slowly to announce the word 'H-h-hancock' inside a big 'H' used to unnerve me, as it reminded me of Patrick Troughton slowly turning around at the end of the first episode of 'The Mind Robber.'

And thanks for the comment about the photos. I do have a tendency to waffle on, but as someone who works in arts education, imagery is ingrained into the DNA. But I won't lie - it is tedious, adding everything into the blog.
Edited by Zonda on 10 July 2017 18:07:39

Zonda
Anniew wrote:

Though Paul seems to muck up the line by reading in a comma, as if calling Vila "Stupid".

I thought that was the point of the line...Avon saying that even a stupid person could justify that the information was stupid.

I do like your blogs Zonda...always give me a fresh perspective on an episode. I agree with you that despite the misogyny - Ben Steeds's scripts zip along at a refreshingly energetic pace. It's something I miss from new Who...too much, "am I a good man" stuff and not enough galloping action.

Annie, I appreciate that. In fact it became clear to me quite quickly that I was targeting the blog at 'Horizon' community - IE more die-hard fans than a more general audience. I looked at a couple of other blogs such as the 'Den of Geek' reviews, and really enjoyed them, and I realised that a lot of my thoughts about watching Blake's 7 might be more suited to people who are involved in the intrinsic experience of the show, more of whom might be found here, than in general sci-fi forums - but you never know!

I'm going to take a proper look at your Avon essay later this week. I took a look when you posted it, but I want to re-read it properly and give it the time it deserves - ideally with cool drink on a sunny day, now that term is drawing to a close. I get more out of things on a second reading - it's how my brain works. Really looking forward to reading it!
Edited by Zonda on 10 July 2017 18:03:53

Zonda
Travisina wrote:

Zonda wrote:
I was going to talk about 'City at the Edge of the World' - but it was one of those blog posts that was difficult to write at first, as I was spending too much time simply enjoying every line of the script, leaving it difficult to actually work out what I wanted to say. However I've given it time to mature, to breath, and now there is almost too much to say about this one. So as an interim post until 'City' finally reaches it's moment in the sun, I've decided to talk about the episode preceding it. 'The Harvest of Kairos' is a guilty pleasure. Actually I don't know why I'm apologising. I always really enjoy this episode!

'City' is my fave episode, so I'm very much looking forward to your blog about it! Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoyed your 'Harvest' piece. That ep, for all its daftness, is one of my guilty pleasures, too. Smile

Travisina, I hope I do it justice, and you won't think of me as some kind of 'bubble brained idiot.' Grin This was definitely an episode that was worthy of a re-watch after the re-watch.

Zonda
President Solvite wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Zonda wrote:
Does anyone know anything behind how Gareth Thomas ended up on the location for 'Kairos'?

I think he was working in the area so dropped by to see the old gang or to invite Paul to dinner, or something like that.

Think the RSC was 'just up the road'. It is why he was able to appear in Terminal at relatively short notice

Ah, yes that would make sense. I couldn't believe it when I first saw that film trim!

Travisina
Zonda wrote:

I'm going to take a proper look at your Avon essay later this week. I took a look when you posted it, but I want to re-read it properly and give it the time it deserves - ideally with cool drink on a sunny day, now that term is drawing to a close. I get more out of things on a second reading - it's how my brain works. Really looking forward to reading it!

There's a Part Two in progress - just waiting for some specially commissioned artwork!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Zonda
Travisina wrote:

Zonda wrote:

There's a Part Two in progress - just waiting for some specially commissioned artwork!

Fabulous! That's great to hear!

Anniew
Ahh that's so nice Zonda! Thanks.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Zonda
Hello again.
I'm taking a short holiday from typing (something to do with assessing 250 pieces of student work.) I thought I'd turn my attention to something that I'm always interested in - the visual look of a series such as Blake's 7.
So I've decided to breakdown (geddit) each episode of Blake's 7 into it's colour scheme.
Why? Well why not. Grin
Today it's series A.
Tomorrow series B, and so on...

And who knows, along the way I might find something interesting!
All the best!
https://watchingb...r-palette/

President Solvite
Look forward to your return and perhaps you telling us all which episode you think is the 'goose turd green' one Grin

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Zonda
President Solvite wrote:

Look forward to your return and perhaps you telling us all which episode you think is the 'goose turd green' one Grin

Ha ha!
As I am discovering, Goose Turd Green seems to be featuring as a predominant colour in the whole Blake's 7 universe! Grin

Zonda
The page is updated, and the overall colour scheme of Blake's 7 can be revealed at the bottom of the page!

(Note to self - don't do this again in a hurry.) Frown

Joe Dredd
Amazing, Tim!

(I keep catching myself squinting at the episode thumbnails as if they'll resolve into a picture of something.)

Angry Angel
Really interesting, thanks for that.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Zonda
Thanks Joe and Angry Angel.
For now normal service is resumed...

I've just pressed 'publish' on one of my favourites (even if it is not THE favourite.)

Gambit - obviously a very distinctive episode. I was interested in a few things here as a viewer.
The use of contemporary architecture, trying to watch and appreciate an episode even when you have watched it to death, and how Robert Holmes structured his story.

Oh, and the usual lamp/chair spotting!

Hope there is something of interest within Freedom City...

https://watchingb...hitecture/

Travisina
Gambit is one of my favourite episodes, and your blog was really interesting. I especially liked all the history/architecture information and period photos!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Zonda
Travisina wrote:

Gambit is one of my favourite episodes, and your blog was really interesting. I especially liked all the history/architecture information and period photos!

Thanks Travisina - it's a big interest, alongside a certain space adventure series!
I think you will like the next post too... ;-)

Drasko
Zonda wrote:

Thanks Joe and Angry Angel.
For now normal service is resumed...

I've just pressed 'publish' on one of my favourites (even if it is not THE favourite.)

Gambit - obviously a very distinctive episode. I was interested in a few things here as a viewer.
The use of contemporary architecture, trying to watch and appreciate an episode even when you have watched it to death, and how Robert Holmes structured his story.

Oh, and the usual lamp/chair spotting!

Hope there is something of interest within Freedom City...

https://watchingb...hitecture/

Great job Zonda!
So glad to see how people have more less, the same favourite episodes. And you made this on my daughter`s birthday Cool
As I already made a "topic" abiut the Gambit, Krantor in fact, this blog of yours is quite a revelation, so precise, professional.

Since I am not English, I am form Serbia, maybe I got it wrong in my ears, but there is also a tiny detail in how Krantor pronounces "Vila" while introducing him....more like a "spice" to the Krantor interpretation...

This episode reminds me of reading comics (if that is the right word) more than any other one.

In fact I think that Blake`s 7 has to offer a great variety of different kinds of genre through episodes, maybe that`s one of the reasons I like it so much!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,809,714 unique visits since 8th January 2014