Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Zonda
Travisina wrote:

Zonda wrote:
Another new post has been published... Hope there is something of interest in the sand dunes.
https://watchingb...aftermath/

Very interesting, thank you for posting the link! Looking forward to the next one, whatever it turns out to be...

Always a pleasure Travisina! As for the next one - I've changed my mind - it'll be one of two. I can be terribly indecisive!

Zonda
I took this one for a test drive, and just hit 'publish'

https://watchingb...-blakes-7/

Hope there is something of interest.
Edited by President Solvite on 12 June 2017 20:32:42

Joe Dredd
Another insightful blog, Tim! I'm really glad you commented on the Terrazza sofas. They turn up everywhere from the Goodies to Ali G.

And how can anyone not be warmed by the sight of a rotund criminal psychopath running away from a polystyrene rock with his arms flapping in the air like Daffy Duck did in the Looney Tunes cartoons of yesteryear.’

It always reminds me of the bit in "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" where the knights are fleeing from the catapult attack: "Run awayyyyyy!"

Something I’ve noticed about the series four episodes I’ve watched is how we, the audience, are thrown in to the situation through very intricate exposition. ‘If we want to keep this heap of ironmongery operational, we have to visit Altern Five in order to recover Selsium ore to make fuel crystals."

What strikes me about this, reading it now, is how difficult it all sounds. Scorpio is a fairly standard ship ("very standard" I think we're told). Surely it can't be that hard to buy (or steal) fuel for it? Did Dorian have to go through all this palaver every time he wanted to refuel? How did, say, the Amagons get fuel? Even the idea of "recovering" the ore sounds a bit crazy: "Tim, we've stolen this car. If we want to keep it going, we have to go to the North Sea in order to recover petroleum from under the sea bed and make petrol." Even if they can "recover" the ore from a ready-mined source, what happens after the third time, when the petrol pump attendant on Altern Five gets wise to them and has armed guards waiting to spring a trap? Do the Scorpio crew then have to repeat the whole sneaking-into-the-system exercise to get to Altern Six or Bananaz Seven or whatever the next planet on the list is? Do they have to hide behind an asteroid every time?

There are some really great lines in these early scenes – something that Blake’s 7 is always so good at. Slave says ‘I’m very sorry about this, but that WAS the backup system.’ Peter Tuddenham delivers this line brilliantly

One of my favourite lines, and yes, he does!

I was certainly struggling to hold my attention as I was more interested by the birdsong that exists on Casper, which was quite beautiful.

According to the Sevencyclopaedia, they're skylarks. (Hence Dr Plaxton calling "All aboard the Skyl Ark!" as she boards Scorpio. No?)

We are treated to yet more very very long shots, only livened up by some macho posturing. This is one of the big changes in acting style between this and other series

Unfortunately Avon absorbed some sopron dust during his experiments in "Harvest of Kairos". Now every time he's with Tarrant he can't help but reflect him all back, 110%.

Here we are treated to some fabulous ‘Charlie Angels’ style positioning. It’s a joy to watch.

Looking at the silhouette of Avon, it looks like you've put Jenna's head on Avon's body. That's Jenna hair, for sure! Perhaps Avon took over Jenna's appointments at "Space Perms"* since she went missing?

Oh that’s such BBC vocabulary for naughty naughty boys.

Growing up it was always apparent that the scriptwriters - all of them, and on any show, not just B7 - were completely behind the times when having to write in some youth culture, so you'd get flower power hippies about a decade too late, or some kids wanting to form a punk band gathering around a piano and saying inane things that no one with the slightest interest or idea of punk would say. "Nozin' Around" captures it exactly, the way those attempts to be 'with it' always fell flat. "And that's why I'm standing on this scaffolding!"**

* I know, but Space Bouffant doesn't have the same ring to it.
** Or whatever the line is. It reminds me of a "Not the Nine O'Clock News" sketch where teacher starts referring to the mime, Alternative Carpark, as "Mr Carpark".

Angry Angel
Good blog Zonda, for a terrible episode. We once watched in on video with the fast forward on, and it still seemed slow!

Love all your comments JD, very funny!

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
President Solvite
The first 10 minutes of Stardrive are quite compelling, but it definitely gets 'clunky' from thereon in.

The refuelling point is well made, granted Avon and the others are wanted persons, but they didn't have the 'celebrity' status of Blake.
Also they were well outside Federation space so you'd think ship refuelling at an independent planet would be straightforward. Especially if it were Soolin or Dayna piloting the ship (with Slave's help.)

Do love the Scorpio model though Ron did a good job with it's design.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Zonda
Joe - they're a striking design sofa wise. Very much of their time. I'm thinking of turning my blog into a catalogue of interior design elements.
I might do some extra Photoshop work - going to town with different characters heads. Glad you got the Nozin Around episode - such a good take! And Skylarks, you say...
President Solvite and Angry Angel - totally agree, clunky and tricky to get through. It funny, it makes me want to big up the positive stuff - no matter how small it is.
I immediately watched a series B episode afterwards to 'cleanse' myself. That will be the next post - next week.

Joe Dredd
President Solvite wrote:
The first 10 minutes of Stardrive are quite compelling, but it definitely gets 'clunky' from thereon in.

I reckon it would make a great mini episode of B7 if you edited the closing titles on just after Vila explains why he's acting drunk and ended it there. Tension - disaster - solution - surprise twist/humorous ending - done!

Are there any other episodes where you could lift a section out to make a mini episode? I think this might be the only one.

President Solvite wrote:
Do love the Scorpio model though Ron did a good job with it's design.

Oh yes, it's excellent.

Zonda
Joe Dredd wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

I reckon it would make a great mini episode of B7 if you edited the closing titles on just after Vila explains why he's acting drunk and ended it there. Tension - disaster - solution - surprise twist/humorous ending - done!

Are there any other episodes where you could lift a section out to make a mini episode? I think this might be the only one.

Joe - yes! That would have improved Stardrive no end! I'm going to mull over the edited episode thing now. I can't think of any off the top of my head. I always felt the first ten minutes of 'The Way Back' stood out on its own - but that was due to hatchet job they did to the episode on 'The Beginning' VHS.

Joe Dredd
The only other real candidate I can think of is "Hostage". The Liberator comes under attack and escapes, then Travis makes contact and they head to Exbar. You could cleave the episode in two and make the attack & escape at the start it's own mini episode.

Everything else I can think of isn't as neatly resolved. E.g.: Horizon - "Well, that was a load of negative information". Wa-wa-wa-wa and cue end credits!

Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
I'm thinking of turning my blog into a catalogue of interior design elements.

Great! In that case, keep a look out for the Pileo lamp when you get to "Killer". (It also shows up in Space 1999, the Matt Smith TARDIS and The Invisible Enemy.)

President Solvite
I believe it also appears in Moonraker (on the space station)

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Zonda
Next post is up. This time I watched Weapon. Interesting episode. And I thought I'd waffle on about how episodes of Blake's 7 actually start. All the best!
https://watchingb...n-episode/

Joe Dredd
Another intelligent analysis, Tim! Very informative and entertaining as usual.

I hadn't noticed it before, but looking at your screenshot of Clonemaster Fen it seems she is trying to project the bat signal!

Only Avon seems to be enjoying his usual biting comments as he asks Vila to ‘justify stupid.’

Though Paul seems to muck up the line by reading in a comma, as if calling Vila "Stupid".

There are interesting things that I’d like to know more about, such as the planet and culture the Clonemasters inhabit. Fen describes the room is being grown from a vegetable

She also says "We may copy life. We may not create new forms." Thus to copy a human, the copy has to look exactly like the human they copy. They can't use it as a template and make him taller or give him red hair*. So, presumably the enormous hollowed-out pumpkin they live in is a copy of an actual species of plant-rooms that grow somewhere in the universe? The thought of it reminds me of ratchet screwdriver fruit and the mattressess of Squornshellous Zeta, which in turn brings us to:

‘Weapon’ opens with a bang, a big bang. In fact you won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

DNA was dwarf-scaryingly tall, too.

Travis marks the Liberator crew in a wonderful scene where everyone hits their mark precisely in order to get zapped – in other words, they ‘functioned beautifully.’

I've always hated the obviousness of this scene - get to your spot, boys, and stand around while Travis marks you. If they could've hustled into sight, crouching behind some of the cover, perhaps stopping in slightly different places, looking around urgently or cagely before dashing off again, I'm sure it would look better.

‘fakey Blakey’

Nice! This can be B7's answer to 'timey-wimey'.

* That would make it "Bluey's 7", cobbers!

Zonda
I liked your comments Joe - all of 'Zem'.
And yes, there is something clunky about the 'justify stupid' line. Just didn't quite come off!

Angry Angel
Good review, lots of interesting points, and I liked the analysis of all the beginnings.

I like Weapon, but I agree that it's a little flat. It spends a lot of time with characters other than the crew, which is interesting, but means the crew don't have so much to do.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Zonda
Angry Angel wrote:

Good review, lots of interesting points, and I liked the analysis of all the beginnings.

I like Weapon, but I agree that it's a little flat. It spends a lot of time with characters other than the crew, which is interesting, but means the crew don't have so much to do.

Thanks!
Looking back, it felt to me that Boucher had been waiting so long for a chance to write an original script, and he had new ideas for character and situations, that it was his chance to finally tell these stories, but at the cost of the maximum screen time for the cast. A temporary situation.

Zonda
Hi all
I've finally managed to publish the latest post. I was going to talk about 'City at the Edge of the World' - but it was one of those blog posts that was difficult to write at first, as I was spending too much time simply enjoying every line of the script, leaving it difficult to actually work out what I wanted to say. However I've given it time to mature, to breath, and now there is almost too much to say about this one.

So as an interim post until 'City' finally reaches it's moment in the sun, I've decided to talk about the episode preceding it. 'The Harvest of Kairos' is a guilty pleasure. Actually I don't know why I'm apologising. I always really enjoy this episode!

I do have a question that perhaps some of you might be able to help me with. In Shelia S Tomlinson's 'Blake's Bloopers' Gareth Thomas teleports onto the surface of Kairos, and quickly disappears, leaving behind a confused director Gerald Blake. Does anyone know anything behind how Gareth Thomas ended up on the location for 'Kairos'?

Anyway I hope you enjoy the review. https://watchingb...ederation/

Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
Does anyone know anything behind how Gareth Thomas ended up on the location for 'Kairos'?

I think he was working in the area so dropped by to see the old gang or to invite Paul to dinner, or something like that.

Joe Dredd
I'm going to sound like a broken record Tim, but that was another interesting and thoughtful piece.

Yet in ‘Moloch’ Grose make reference to Servalan’s willingness to travel far far away from the safety of her battle fleet, in order to salvage a single legion.

Was it the legion, or the promise of their discovery, that had her running to find them? I suppose the former had to be a strong enough motive for Servalan should the latter turn out to be less than overwhelming. It's a pity Servalan didn't know more about what Grose had found, otherwise we could theorise she was deliberately leading Liberator on for the same reason Grose wanted her there - to copy a spaceship.

Every time I see the sopron sitting on the analysis dome (such as in your photo), it reminds me of how originally the crew would put things under the dome. Like Avon wearing his silver tunic backwards later in the series, the right way to do it seems to have been forgotten somewhere along the line. Still, we can always suppose the dome has contact sensors on the outside too. At least they remembered that was what the dome was for.

Speaking of photos, I'd like to thank you for your dedication Tim. It's not just anyone who'd get a sunburnt back and prepare a nice meal just to illustrate a couple of points for us.

Perhaps if there was more of a theme that drives some of the adventures here it might be more plausible. For example could the discoveries made during the series could sit within the context of piracy – the crew resorting to something that is beneficial to the Liberator and it’s crew in this safer, less threatening, post Star One universe.

Each time I watch "Gold" I wonder when it was that Dayna decided it was okay to be a robber. Her desire to kill Servalan is personal, and her fight against the Federation is for survival and the taking up of her father's cause, but when did she get to the point that she agreed to just robbing stuff?

At this point I got distracted. I started to wonder what it was in our crew that feels and how they would express this to Servalan.

I was reminded of Hancock's Half Hour:

TURNSTYLE OPERATIVE: If you prick me, do I not bleed? If you tickle me, do I not laugh? If you poison me, do I not die?
HANCOCK: I suppose you do. I mean, I'd never really thought about it....
SID JAMES: Punch him in the fag-hole, see what he does then.

(Tsk, tsk, such violence. And it's not just Sid, either:

LARGE AMOUROUS WOMAN: Do a lot of reading, don't you? You'll hurt your eyes, you will....
HANCOCK: I'll hurt yours in a minute.)

Travisina
Zonda wrote:
I was going to talk about 'City at the Edge of the World' - but it was one of those blog posts that was difficult to write at first, as I was spending too much time simply enjoying every line of the script, leaving it difficult to actually work out what I wanted to say. However I've given it time to mature, to breath, and now there is almost too much to say about this one. So as an interim post until 'City' finally reaches it's moment in the sun, I've decided to talk about the episode preceding it. 'The Harvest of Kairos' is a guilty pleasure. Actually I don't know why I'm apologising. I always really enjoy this episode!

'City' is my fave episode, so I'm very much looking forward to your blog about it! Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoyed your 'Harvest' piece. That ep, for all its daftness, is one of my guilty pleasures, too. Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.42 seconds
9,803,508 unique visits since 8th January 2014