Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 896
· Newest Rebel: Drasko

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [13 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 93
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Angry Angel
Joe Dredd wrote:

Oh yes, it's all there and spread out. I imagine it combined into one place. In my head it's a chunky hardback with a great layout and a great typography. Oh, and a comprehensive index.

That would be lovely! How about starting with an online version?

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
President Solvite
Joe Dredd wrote:

I'm not a fan of Traitor, but I do like the portrait of Supreme Empress Servalan. It reminds me of Pietro Annigoni's 1954 portrait of the Queen, which I think influenced it.

Yes I can see that too. Nice spot!

Personally I think Traitor is a superb episode, possibly one of the more satisfying offerings in the fourth season.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Zonda
Travisina wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

As an aside, I've always had the idea of a dream B7 book in my head.

As Dr Frank 'n' Furter said: "Don't dream it, be it!" Between all of us here and wider B7 fandom), surely we have all that's needed?
Transcripts - the Hermit collection, soon to be hosted on Horizon
Photos - Scorpio Attack have a sensational photo library
Factual details about film locations and dates - Andrew Pixley
etc etc

Bravo! It would be great to produce something online in time for next January. Although I imagine the clock is ticking fast...

Zonda
President Solvite wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

I'm not a fan of Traitor, but I do like the portrait of Supreme Empress Servalan. It reminds me of Pietro Annigoni's 1954 portrait of the Queen, which I think influenced it.

Yes I can see that too. Nice spot!

Personally I think Traitor is a superb episode, possibly one of the more satisfying offerings in the fourth season.

It's one that I just cant put my finger on. But has real 'meat' to it. There are definitely really important bits to it. Thinking about it more, perhaps the thing that I just don't like is the overall visual style of the fourth series, which makes it look cheaper. But again I'm trying to work out what that visual style actually is. I think it is about the way the whole series is lit...

Travisina
Growing up overseas, I came to B7 backwards, sideways and out of order, seeing the eps on video years after they were broadcast and in no particular order. The first ep I saw was 'Seek-Locate-Destroy', the last was 'Traitor', so I have a particular soft spot for those two, regardless of their merits / defects. (Actually, I don't think S-L-D has any defects - it's a perfect ensemble episode. But I digress.)

Traitor is a mixed bag, and there are aspects of it I love - the location (I find the dull, muddy landscape rather atmospheric), the fantastic fight sequence that was shot and edited on film, the characters of Hunda and others, the introduction to the Pylene-50 story arc (I saw this ep long after I saw first 'Warlord', and it all made perfect sense).

But there are aspects of the ep that I find truly awful - the whole Servalan/Sleer thing, Jacqueline Pearce's costume and make-up (how they managed to make such a beautiful woman look so dreadful is beyond me), Tarrant & Dayna's costume continuity at the end, which makes my teeth itch every time I see it. I'd probably give it about 6.5 out of 10. Oh okay, 7 out of 10. Because I'm still happy to rewatch it every time it rolls around, which is more than I can say for Moloch...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

President Solvite
I think that is it, initially B7 to me generally felt grungy, with season D less so. Sets seemed more obviously studio based and over lit ones at that.

I think trying to go for a more jumpsuit style look to make it look more authentic and credible also made the look more derivative. That being said some looks and visuals were excellent, Scorpio Launch Bay, Space Princess Docking Sequence and Servalan's 'Cylon' Raider were well realised.

Locations yes indeed the earthworks for Helotrix felt like a credible quagmire and WWI style battleground. Indeed giving that grungy looked that B7 started out with. I also had the benefit of seeing things in the intended order and Traitor seemed very much to have the old style (ie Terry's vision) whereas other episodes in D and even C less so.
Edited by President Solvite on 17 April 2017 20:14:17

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Zonda
Travisina - yes definitely agree with you about S-L-D - a great advertisement for the entire cast.

President Solvite - Traitor felt like early Blake's 7. I watched it all out of order at first. I thought Travis has returned. And I like your assessment of season D.

Zonda
In other news - here's the latest offering. IT'S TIME FOR BRIAN BLESSED! Frown
https://watchingb...nus-alpha/

Angry Angel
Good stuff Zonda, I particularly enjoyed your analysis of how the main actors were interpreting their characters at this early stage.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Zonda
I wasn't able to keep to my Sunday deadline for this episode. I had too much to say about it.
So this week I bring you 'Warlord' and talk about shopping centre design, classic movies, Latvian directors, and brutialist architecture.
But most of all, I wanted to talk about how I saw the end of Blake's 7 from my perspective.
https://watchingb...-blakes-7/

Anniew
What an absolutely brilliant analysis of Warlord. I had never seen so clearly that it is intended as an end -- of the base....of Avon's leadership...of Tarrant's innocence. Yes it is a hark back to episode 1. I love your dissection of the direction and have been haunted for years by that elevator scene. You really do the episode justice.

As for Avon at the end...not drunk....defeated. ( IMO). He's reached the end of ideas and he will have to seek out Blake...he doesn't want to....isn't sure whether he can still trust him but he needs someone to unite those that wish to rebel. Meanwhile there's a tedious drama to endure....he has to send Tarrant's lover to decontaminate the base rather than risk one of the crew and I think he has enough of a suicidal streak himself to recognise it in another. He's just waiting for her death and , I think, armouring himself against the grief it will arouse....it has after all a reminder of his own grief at the loss of Anna .

Blake is a shocking episode for me, not because The hero is shot but because the hero has changed. He's paranoid, ruthless, scarred externally and internally. It's brilliantly different. Any other show would have him retaining his nobility and making inspirational speeches about their higher purpose. Here it's just the struggle to win. Only in his relation to Deva, and through Deva's willingness to follow him to we get a sense of the old Blake. It's the end of idealism that I find shocking...the sense that the only victory they can have is in hanging on and surviving while resisting the temptation to give in and join the palpably wrong side...it's a choice between lesser evils. It's not actually about a glorious victory or giving power back to the honest man..It's about not becoming dishonest ( as far as is possible). It is deeply realistic. It reminds us that rebellion isn't about " gung ho" it's about laying your life on the line for what you believe is right and it's quite likely to kill you. And in a grey world, disagreement and death might as easily result from clash with a former friend as from an enemy. Brrrr!

Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
Also there’s what looks like Servalan’s screen from ‘Star One’ still displaying an endless loop of stock images.

It always reminds me of the "Soothing Images" from HHG.

Zonda wrote:
For some reason though, there is a rather bizarre shot or two recorded in the studio on videotape. It jarrs horribly with the rest of the footage.

It stands out like a sore thumb. Every time I see it I wonder why they left it in.

Zonda wrote:
And then we move into handheld territory on a four walled set. Ritelis’s masterstroke.

I loved and still love that set. Also the brilliant "out the front window" visuals we get in this episode and Orbit. They were really getting somewhere with the FX at the end of S4 and then... it ended.

Zonda wrote:
Very Federation type music for the sequence on Betafarl

Appropriately, it's called the "Federation March" and it's the B side of the B7 theme single. That said, the first time we hear it is in Redemption (I think), which has nothing to do with the Federation at all!

Zonda wrote:
SET DESIGN

I love the little collections of design motifs you've added to some of the articles. Are you recreating the designs from scratch or building them up from images?

Zonda
Thanks for the feedback. Really good points about Avon there, and many that I hadn't considered. It's an area of the show that I still haven't unpeeled properly, and is something that I'm looking forward to discussing when I get around to watching 'Blake' - as for Warlord itself, it's a real curio, and I felt there was almost too much to say about this one. Thanks again.

Anniew wrote:

What an absolutely brilliant analysis of War Lord. I had never seen so clearly that it is intended as an end -- of the base....of Avon's leadership...of Tarrant's innocence. Yes it is a hark back to episode 1. I love your dissection of the direction and have been haunted for years by that elevator scene. You really do the episode justice.

As for Avon at the end...not drunk....defeated. ( IMO). He's reached the end of ideas and he will have to seek out Blake...he doesn't want to....isn't sure whether he can still trust him but he needs someone to unite those that wish to rebel. Meanwhile there's a tedious drama to endure....he has to send Tarrant's lover to decontaminate the base rather than risk one of the crew and I think he has enough of a suicidal streak himself to recognise it in another. He's just waiting for her death and , I think, armouring himself against the grief it will arouse....it has after all a reminder of his own grief at the loss of Anna .

Blake is a shocking episode for me, not because The hero is shot but because the hero has changed. He's paranoid, ruthless, scarred externally and internally. It's brilliantly different. Any other show would have him retaining his nobility and making inspirational speeches about their higher purpose. Here it's just the struggle to win. Only in his relation to Deva, and through Deva's willingness to follow him to we get a sense of the old Blake. It's the end of idealism that I find shocking...the sense that the only victory they can have is in hanging on and surviving while resisting the temptation to give in and join the palpably wrong side...it's a choice between lesser evils. It's not actually about a glorious victory or giving power back to the honest man..It's about not becoming dishonest ( as far as is possible). It is deeply realistic. It reminds us that rebellion isn't about " gung ho" it's about laying your life on the line for what you believe is right and it's quite likely to kill you. And in a grey world, disagreement and death might as easily result from clash with a former friend as from an enemy. Brrrr!

Zonda
Definitely agree with the VFX. Some of the best and worst in this series, and very different from the preceding three series. As for the mock ups of the set design it's a bit of both. Sometimes I build up from scratch, and others it's a screengrab, that I've photoshopped the hell out of, or tidied it up as best I can. Its usually down to time - some will be better than others, but I wanted a platform to show the little details that sometimes pass the audience by.

Joe Dredd wrote:

Zonda wrote:
Also there’s what looks like Servalan’s screen from ‘Star One’ still displaying an endless loop of stock images.

It always reminds me of the "Soothing Images" from HHG.

Zonda wrote:
For some reason though, there is a rather bizarre shot or two recorded in the studio on videotape. It jarrs horribly with the rest of the footage.

It stands out like a sore thumb. Every time I see it I wonder why they left it in.

Zonda wrote:
And then we move into handheld territory on a four walled set. Ritelis’s masterstroke.

I loved and still love that set. Also the brilliant "out the front window" visuals we get in this episode and Orbit. They were really getting somewhere with the FX at the end of S4 and then... it ended.

Zonda wrote:
Very Federation type music for the sequence on Betafarl

Appropriately, it's called the "Federation March" and it's the B side of the B7 theme single. That said, the first time we hear it is in Redemption (I think), which has nothing to do with the Federation at all!

Zonda wrote:
SET DESIGN

I love the little collections of design motifs you've added to some of the articles. Are you recreating the designs from scratch or building them up from images?

ScorpioSurvivor81
Zonda wrote:

Hello, fellow B7'ers, and allow me to introduce myself.
I'm Tim, or 'Zonda' as I'm referring to myself here.
I've loved Blake's 7 for the last 20 years or so, and in the occasional time I have when I'm not being a Dad to a lively 5 year old daughter, I've been trying to write a few notes about how this wonderful show has shaped me and my viewing habits.

So here I am putting together a blog, which so far has a handful of posts published, including 4 episode reviews.

I'm aiming to add a post every week or two, and although I've written this blog for me, I'm hoping to drag a few people along the way. I'm also going to update existing posts, as there is always new things to discover. (More of this in the 'about the blog' section.

...and hopefully in the not too distant future I'll find the elusive moment to join in on a re-watch, maybe by the time you reach 'Moloch' - I've got plenty to say about 'Moloch' and not all of it bad!

https://watchingblakes7.wordpress.com/

I'm now off to trawl through the forums on here...

All the best!

Ah, you followed my "Rookie Reviews" blog a day or two ago. I must say your own blog is absolutely brilliant!
"What you do with your booty is up to you"

Zonda
Yours was great too - found your thoughts about OHMSS very interesting - it's a very stylistic film. Perhaps it's the 'Warlord' of James Bond!

Ah, you followed my "Rookie Reviews" blog a day or two ago. I must say your own blog is absolutely brilliant!

Edited by Travisina on 02 May 2017 20:56:28

Travisina
Excellent analysis of 'Warlord' - a really good read!

Zonda
Another week - another post. This time it's a 'noisy' one.
https://watchingb...xperience/
Hope there is something of interest in there.

Travisina
Zonda wrote:

Another week - another post. This time it's a 'noisy' one.
https://watchingb...xperience/
Hope there is something of interest in there.

Very interesting, thanks for posting the link!

Joe Dredd
Zonda wrote:
it matters not, as – like many end scenes in Blake’s 7 episodes – it sucks anyway.

Ha!

Zonda wrote:
Meanwhile on the Liberator, we are treated to a more functional affair in an unnamed ‘power’ room containing what looks like some kind of generator

That big globe reminds me of the tail end of the Liberator. Perhaps they ordered the wrong size when making up the model. "Oops! What are we going to do with that?!?"

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.78 seconds
8,451,548 unique visits since 8th January 2014