Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 873
· Newest Rebel: Ladymarmalade

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [14 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
6% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [12 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [1 Vote]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
5% [4 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [13 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
13% [10 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
6% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
8% [6 Votes]

Votes: 79
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
A new recruit, and a new blog in progress.
Zonda
Hello, fellow B7'ers, and allow me to introduce myself.
I'm Tim, or 'Zonda' as I'm referring to myself here.
I've loved Blake's 7 for the last 20 years or so, and in the occasional time I have when I'm not being a Dad to a lively 5 year old daughter, I've been trying to write a few notes about how this wonderful show has shaped me and my viewing habits.

So here I am putting together a blog, which so far has a handful of posts published, including 4 episode reviews.

I'm aiming to add a post every week or two, and although I've written this blog for me, I'm hoping to drag a few people along the way. I'm also going to update existing posts, as there is always new things to discover. (More of this in the 'about the blog' section.

...and hopefully in the not too distant future I'll find the elusive moment to join in on a re-watch, maybe by the time you reach 'Moloch' - I've got plenty to say about 'Moloch' and not all of it bad!

https://watchingblakes7.wordpress.com/

I'm now off to trawl through the forums on here...

All the best!

BradPaula
Hello Zonda and welcome to Horizon. Your blog sounds interesting and please, do join us for our rewatches. They are a lot of fun!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Zonda
Hi BradPaula,

I certainly will. If the calendar permits, I will be joining you around the time of Ultraworld - all being well. Just managing the usual work/life balance! Grin

bob79519
I'm looking foward to reading the blog.

BradPaula
Zonda wrote:

Hi BradPaula,

I certainly will. If the calendar permits, I will be joining you around the time of Ultraworld - all being well. Just managing the usual work/life balance! Grin

It's horrible how real life seems to demand our attention. If only we could live in fandom! lol
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Joe Dredd
I enjoyed your blog posts, Zonda! I hope you write some more soon.

Angry Angel
Hi Zonda, and welcome! I look forward to checking out your blog, and I hope you can join us for a rewatch or two.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Angry Angel
I had a good read of your blog - very interesting! You bring up a lot of good points, and I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes elements that you highlighted, much of which I didn't know.

Please keep sharing any new posts!

Zonda
Thanks Bob, Joe and Angry.
Found a moment to complete a new post about Assassin.
https://watchingb...t-the-war/

I tried so hard to like it, but alas I came away from it less positive about it than ever before! Angry
Edited by Angry Angel on 19 March 2017 23:21:25

Angry Angel
Ooh, harsh - but probably fair. I find it quite entertaining, but I think your criticisms are valid.

Zonda
It is a bit harsh, reading it back. But there is still much to enjoy!
Orac - is now up. I'm a bit more positive about this one!
https://watchingb...-a-season/
Edited by Angry Angel on 27 March 2017 07:19:42

Anniew
Well that's an interesting blog. All your points well made, thoughtful, your criticisms just and substantiated. My head agrees with your assessments my heart cries nooooo!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Angry Angel
Lots of good points made again - I know on rewatches I've found Orac a little lacklustre, but there's still enough to enjoy (especially Ensor Sr.)

I made the link clickable for you, just ask if you want to know how to do that.

A note for anyone who hasn't watched all of Sapphire and Steel yet - the blog post includes details about the last episode.

President Solvite
Zonda wrote:

Just read your blog, sorry for being late to the party... But better late...

Indeed harsh but a fair assessment and pretty much in line with how I see Blake's 7 now (and to a lesser extent then)
When the video tapes came out I remembered why I loved the show so much. But the later episodes especially season 4 (D) do feel clunky to me. Animals is a popular one to critique but overall D does feel a bit 'rushed' . It probably didn't help as it was all a bit last minute, with fewer familiar elements to engage the viewer. (Liberator/Zen/Cally/Blake)

However in saying that there are some good episodes which work better Headhunter is one and of course the finale in Blake is still mentioned as a memorable event even outside of fandom!!

Orac the episode is a bit of an odd one from Season 1 (A) as personally I think its a bit weak whereas Deliverance its predecessor has far more superior performances in my view. Although I remember when I was 8 years old I preferred them the other way around! Maybe I am turning into a 'grumpy old man! Grin

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Zonda
Anniew wrote:

Well that's an interesting blog. All your points well made, thoughtful, your criticisms just and substantiated. My head agrees with your assessments my heart cries nooooo!

It's funny reading back some of what I write, as I often re-question things I'm already questioning!
Perhaps the real test will be the forthcoming Moloch blog post. There were times when I read it back and my heart agreed with what I wrote, but my head cried no!

Smile

Zonda
Angry Angel wrote:

Lots of good points made again - I know on rewatches I've found Orac a little lacklustre, but there's still enough to enjoy (especially Ensor Sr.)

I made the link clickable for you, just ask if you want to know how to do that.

A note for anyone who hasn't watched all of Sapphire and Steel yet - the blog post includes details about the last episode.

Thanks Angry. Good points, perhaps I need to work out how to make the spoiler alerts ever more prominant, without it taking over the blog. And thanks for the clickable link nod. I didn't realise there was a button for that!

Zonda
President Solvite wrote:

Zonda wrote:

Indeed harsh but a fair assessment and pretty much in line with how I see Blake's 7 now (and to a lesser extent then)
When the video tapes came out I remembered why I loved the show so much. But the later episodes especially season 4 (D) do feel clunky to me. Animals is a popular one to critique but overall D does feel a bit 'rushed' . It probably didn't help as it was all a bit last minute, with fewer familiar elements to engage the viewer. (Liberator/Zen/Cally/Blake)

However in saying that there are some good episodes which work better Headhunter is one and of course the finale in Blake is still mentioned as a memorable event even outside of fandom!!

Orac the episode is a bit of an odd one from Season 1 (A) as personally I think its a bit weak whereas Deliverance its predecessor has far more superior performances in my view. Although I remember when I was 8 years old I preferred them the other way around! Maybe I am turning into a 'grumpy old man! Grin

Series D is the enigma for me. It's my least favourite series, but it's the one I'm giving the most thought to. I want to give it every chance, as there is much to like about it. (Especially Tarrants 'Well, I'll be damned!' in Orbit - I think.) Grin

bob79519
Zonda wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

Zonda wrote:

Series D is the enigma for me. It's my least favourite series, but it's the one I'm giving the most thought to. I want to give it every chance, as there is much to like about it. (Especially Tarrants 'Well, I'll be damned!' in Orbit - I think.) Grin

Nice to see that someone else other than me thinks series 4 is the worst series of Blake's 7 (although I hate it with a passion).

President Solvite
Many fans think season D is the weakest but there are some good points or moments that all fans enjoy.

It is a season of extremes, some of the best and worst effects along with dialogue and plots. In my view the first two seasons are better in terms of consistency with a greater range of variability in the latter seasons with the advent of new writers who were less able to keep with Terry's original vision (not necessarily their fault). As the last season was very last minute and rushed I think that it shows in the final product. Although as I said before there are some very good moments and episodes in the mix of the 'not so good'

Ron Thornton did a superb job with the Scorpio model and I am still think the whole Xenon base hanger/Scorpio launch sequence still looks good even now. The Space Princess ship design is right behind the Liberator and the Pursuit Ship concept in terms of a credible and realistic look. The model team should be proud Smile

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Zonda
I'd agree with that.
It's so varied. I have a lot of time of every episode with the exception of Stardrive, Animals and Assassin. But I like say I'm giving them every chance again...(although the case for the prosecution for Assassin was too great.)

But then there are episodes in every series that I struggle with.

Series 3 is my personal favourite. It has it's weaknesses in terms of structure, but I think it was a good idea to move into stand alone stories, which was in keeping with the situation they found themselves in at the time. The trouble is when the stories aren't as good, and there are a few that don't hit the mark for me.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
7,354,049 unique visits since 8th January 2014