Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 873
· Newest Rebel: Ladymarmalade

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [14 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
6% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [12 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [1 Vote]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
5% [4 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [13 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
13% [10 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
6% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
8% [6 Votes]

Votes: 79
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
March 2017 Fanfic Challenge
Ellen York
Yes, that makes sense of why Travis got involved with the Andromedans.

Travisina
Excellent stories, Paula & Brad!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Rainesz
Shell Shock

"This is intolerable," Avon was rasping. "We should get her off the ship immediately. She's a liability."

Blake was resolutely in favor of the Auron named Cally remaining aboard the Liberator. "She's a skilled warrior, she hates the Federation and her telepathic skills could come in handy."

"So far these 'handy' telepathic skills have been detrimental to all of us," Avon snapped. "I for one do not need any more psychic blasts in my head whenever Vila knocks a glass of Soma to the floor."

"Oi! I would never be so wasteful!" Vila proclaimed, indignant.

Avon ignored him. "She's skittish—she jumps at every loud noise. I am not convinced she's worth all the headaches we're getting from her 'telepathic handiness'."

Gan was standing off to the side, listening with quiet interest. Finally, he said, "She's still living in a war zone."

Blake said, "Well, the Liberator is not a battlefield. She must be made to understand that she is safe here with us."

"Is she—?" Avon hissed and Blake glared at him.

"Let me talk to her," Gan said. "I think I understand what she's going through."

"You're here to tell me that I need to leave, aren't you?" Cally asked Gan. "My presence is disruptive. Avon, especially, seems to hate me."

The big man smiled. "Avon has little patience for any of us. Try not to take it personally. I noticed that you're still a bit jumpy since Saurian Major and stress, even if it's the memory of stress, makes people lose control sometimes. For instance, I know that leaving a combat zone can do that to you. My woman was a soldier and she used to wake up screaming in the middle of the night and I had to hold her until she calmed down. You see, I've got a bit of a temper myself—which resulted in me getting this." He tapped the back of his head. "But I had to try and learn ways to control it and also to help her. So I started reading about an Old Calendar relaxation method called 'yoga'. And this actually helped a great deal."

Cally had never heard of "yoga" but when Gan explained it to her, she was astonished that such a large, powerful man was so enamored by such a gentle discipline. She found herself amused by mental images of the calm giant assuming the meditative poses he described.

"But despite that, you still wound up with an inhibitor chip."

"Well," Gan said darkly, "that was an entirely different situation. They told you about me, didn't they?"

"Yes," Cally said. Then she sighed, resigned. "Show me this 'yoga' of yours, Gan. Something needs to calm me down."

To her own amazement, Cally became an avid student of the philosophy and her nose was frequently in datapads, researching old Terran techniques. She was often seen by the other crew members sitting very still and serene, counting her breaths. She even began to offer her services to the medical unit. And most surprising of all, antagonistic Avon seemed to be drawn to this new, peaceful Cally who had taken the place of the jumpy guerilla warrior.

Much later, she said to Gan, "Did this ... practice... eventually help your lover?"

"It did. But it couldn't save her, and neither could her military training. And it didn't save me either. But it let us sleep at night during wartime."

Cally then said, "Tell me about her, Gan. What was her name?"

Gan had never mentioned her name: even saying it aloud was too painful. But he did tell Cally ... and she never forgot this honor.
Edited by Rainesz on 22 March 2017 23:58:02

Travisina
Oh Rainesz, that's fab.

Astullken
I really enjoyed it too, Rainesz! I love the Gan focused ones so much. The idea that he and Cally found something to bond over is just great!
"Blake is sitting up in a tree. Travis is sitting up in another tree. Unless they are planning to throw nuts at one another I don't see much of a fight developing before it get light!" --Avon

Rainesz
@Travisina, @Astullken-- Thank you! Grin

Astullken wrote:

I really enjoyed it too, Rainesz! I love the Gan focused ones so much. The idea that he and Cally found something to bond over is just great!

Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it! Grin

Cally changed from a soldier to a medic and a mystic by the second season—so when did the change happen? She was trying to teach everyone yoga in Season 2 and she had to have found out about it somehow. Plus I wanted to finally get Gan into a story and he seemed the likely source for helping her become the "conscience" of the crew.
Edited by Rainesz on 26 March 2017 08:07:35

Ellen York
That is wonderful, Rainesz. I've a soft spot for Gan and having him be the one to help Cally really works. And you even explained the space-yoga.

Rainesz
Ellen York wrote:

That is wonderful, Rainesz. I've a soft spot for Gan and having him be the one to help Cally really works. And you even explained the space-yoga.

Thank you! The yoga had to have worked if she even got Avon doing "Child's Pose". Wink

Now Jenna's attitude, on the other hand, was "Yeah, right..."

Anniew
So impressed by the imaginative responses to the prompt war!! Especially as my invention well seem to have run dry. Particularly impressed by Rainez's contribution....perfect explanation of Cally's transformation and so sensitively written.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
Great little story, Rainesz- I love the stories which take a small section out of the series and expand it as to why people do and say things. It builds up the entire series so much more by trying to analyze wee bits of it. And the often underused character of Gan- any new glimpse into his ways are always welcomed. Good job.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Rainesz
@Anniew, @BradPaula: Thanks!! Grin

Travisina
After the War

The billboard stands across the street from her apartment; a forlorn reminder of life before the war. Lissy remembers watching the men with long brushes unfurl bright posters advertising sporting events, concerts, treats. There has been no new advertising since the war began and the men departed to join the Resistance as Federation forces swept through their sector.

Only one poster remains: Buy Fidelias' Best Chocolate! The picture depicts two children smiling at a shiny red bar, its wrapper open to reveal the dark squares inside. It appeared on the morning of Lissy's sixth birthday - the day before the war started. Now it's fading, tattered and scorched by blaster fire.

On that birthday, the boy and girl on the poster were bigger than her - perhaps as old as nine – and she pretended they were friends who had come to celebrate with her. But as the years dragged by, they shrank to the same age as Lissy, then younger. Now they just seem babyish, with their stupid, goofy smiles. There has been nothing to smile about on Fidelias for a very long time.

Whatever question Lissy would ask a grownup -

"When will father come home?"
"When can I go back to school?"
and, pointing to the billboard, "When can I have some chocolate?"

- the answer was always the same: "After the war, dear."

She learned that 'After the War' was just another way of saying 'Never', and has stopped asking questions.

"When will father come home?" Never. He was killed in action two years ago.
"When can I go back to school?" Never. School is a bombed out shell; empty and dark. The teachers are dead.

Half a lifetime after it began, the war comes to an end on Lissy's twelfth birthday. She wakes to the sound of loudhailers announcing that Fidelias has surrendered to the Federation and she creeps out of the apartment, leaving behind the sombre adults talking in weary, defeated tones.

Lissy keeps to the shadows, skulking through the rubble-strewn streets while flyers scream overhead and Federation flags are raised over public buildings. Turning a corner, she almost collides with a black-clad trooper disembarking from his armoured vehicle.

"You know you shouldn't be outdoors during curfew!"

She backs away fearfully. "The war is over..."

"The rules still apply." But the trooper's voice is not unkind and he pushes back his visor to reveal a tired face. A fatherly face, Lissy thinks, with a pang. She wonders if he misses his family.

He presses something into her hand. "Here, kid - run along home."

She hurries away, pausing under the old billboard to examine her prize. A bar of chocolate! Trembling, she tears off a corner of the wrapper, breathing in the half-remembered smell. Then she breaks off a small square, relishing the warm, melting taste, and closes her eyes in delight.

After the War is here at last, and the answer to her question: "When can I have some chocolate?" is Now.

littlesue
So now we know where the yoga comes from...and yes, Jenna definitely had that LOOK on her face!!
Strangely enough, my Mum was telling me the other day about when there were soldiers stationed near her village up in Linconshire in WW2.
Some of the chaps used to come and play cards with my Grandad (her dad) and they would bring not only chocolate bars, but also, one day, a crate of oranges. You can image how the children in that village felt about that!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Rainesz
Oh wonderful story, Travisina! War from a child's point point of view, and with a sympathetic Federation trooper. Very well-written! <3
Edited by Rainesz on 26 March 2017 08:04:19

Anniew
Really wonderful story Travisina. I loved it.

My fellow citizens,
Today's cowardly and vicious attack on our food processing plant resulted in the deaths of two brave men. The self-styled Freedom Party has claimed responsibility for this atrocity.

Friends,
Today we scored a major victory against our oppressors. The East Wing of the Freedom Party successfully infiltrated Processing Plant A and disrupted production there for at least six months with minimal casualties.

The actions of these vile rebels have deprived two families of a beloved husband and father and necessitated the rationing of food supplies in Delta Quadrant A. And their reason for this violence? Freedom. They claim they do not have sufficient freedom. Yes that's their only reason for killing your husbands, fathers, brothers. Freedom for what I hear you cry? It is a good question. The Freedom to disrupt, to murder, to bring terror to the lives of hardworking citizens because they do not like the way our society is run. These despicable, self-serving dissidents are determined to make your lives harder for their own selfish purposes. I know you will accept the measures we have been forced to take in the face of these threats with your usual calm but underneath, your anger is growing. I understand your anger. I share it.

Unrest in the Delta Quadrants already affected by food shortages is increasing. Our contacts there are welcoming new recruits to the Cause daily. Citizen anger, so long controlled by the dulling effects of suppressants is rising: hunger has freed them to recognise and protest at their brutal treatment at the hands of the Federation. Soon this unrest will become an unstoppable tide which will sweep away this hated regime and all who support its tyranny

I stand before you today to make a promise to you and to all those that oppose us. We will never submit to threats. We will never be cowed by attempts to spread chaos and terror in our ordered society.

Some of you have expressed concern that two men died as a result of our actions. Two men that were somebody's father, son, brother. And you are right to feel sorrow at their deaths. Are we justified in killing innocent bystanders to achieve our goals, you ask? I cannot answer that question for you.

Instead I would ask you how many of your fathers and brothers have disappeared without trace? How many of you have been woken in the night by a knock at your door and watched as your mother was dragged from her bed and taken for questioning because a jealous neighbour claimed to hear her speak against the High Council? How many of your children have had their memories ripped from them because they attended a protest march?

Put the two deaths we are responsible for against the thousands that the Federation causes every month and ask yourselves if there is a different choice we can make?

I have today asked the Supreme Commander to take all available measures to flush out any adherents of the so-called Freedom Party. This pollutant must be purged and while we will continue with our merciful policy of re-education for those deluded by the rhetoric of Rebellion, we will not shrink from using the violence necessary to rid ourselves of its poison. As our ancestors wisely decreed, "Those who live by the sword must expect to die by the sword."

You know the motto of our Party: "Give me Freedom or give me death." Words to stir the blood. But today I would remind you of the words of another rebel: an anonymous man, unknown to history yet whose words have resonated through the centuries since his birth: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." If we decided to do nothing, then those that have died unjustly will have no one to give a voice to their silent tongues.

The Freedom Party has thrown their gauntlet in the faces of peaceful citizens and we will take up the challenge on their behalf. Whatever sewer you hide in, we will hunt you out. There will be no escape from our just vengeance. Today, on behalf of the free people of the Federation, we declare war on Terrorism.

Now is not the time to withdraw timidly from the fight. It is time to escalate our opposition to these unjust oppressors of the poor and helpless, the alpha elite who live in luxury, ignoring the starving and desperate and drugging our food so that there can be no reasoned opposition to their oppression. Today, I, Roj Blake declare war on the Federation and promise I will not give it up until power is once more with the honest man.
Edited by Anniew on 26 March 2017 19:09:42

Rainesz
Oh, Anniew: Excellent. Great use of the word prompt! And very cleverly done. The two opposing ideologies and the justifications for their actions. (applause)

Anniew
Ahh thanks Rainez..glad you enjoyed it.

trevor travis
WHOOOOOPS!

Avon stared into space and sighed.

“What’s up, chuck?”, asked the woman. “Are you finding this month’s fanfic challenge too hard?”

“Probably”, he muttered.

“The war prompt, chuck?”, she asked.

“No, that one was easy”, he said. “It’s the other one. You can’t make up the most basic of sentences from those 850 words.”

“Well, Anniew and Trevor Travis managed it, chuck."

That wasn’t the best thing for her to say. Avon looked up at her.

“Who are you, anyway?” The woman did not reply to his question.

Avon studied her. She wore curlers in her hair and wore a headscarf and a pinny and spoke like she came from the North Of England Dome. He was sure he knew her from somewhere… from where? Suddenly it twigged – and he put down his graphic writing stick and raised his gun towards her.

“You set up the list of 850 words, didn’t you?”, he accused.

The woman remained calm. “Avon, chuck, you don’t understand…”

He shot her. Once. Twice. Three times.

She stumbled towards him and, as her knees buckled, he briefly held up upright.

With her dying breath, she muttered: “Oh Avon... Charles Ogden wrote that list. I’m Hilda Ogden. Ta ra chuck!”

She crashed to the floor. The bloody remains of her stomach made a huge mess of the carpet, while several of her curlers smashed as she hit the ground.

The war between Blake’s 7 and Coronation Street had begun.

NEXT EPISODE: Travis kills Ken and Deirdre Barlow.
PLUS, COMING SOON: Avon mistakes Woodstock from Snoopy to be the festival from 1969. Please note that this story contains the graphic death of a small yellow bird.

Edited by trevor travis on 27 March 2017 13:42:57

Travisina
Anniew - great story, telling the story from both sides, each convinced they are in the right. Great summing up of B7 and indeed most conflicts.

TT - huge LOL - glad I didn't have a cup of tea to hand or there'd have been a keyboard incident. Ah, bless Jean Alexander and the wonderful Hilda! Looking forward to reading the Snoopy story Wink

Thanks to those for the nice comments on my story! Littlesue, the idea was sparked by a remark my mother made, reminiscing about her childhood during WW2. There were no biscuits, and she remembered an advertisement along the lines of 'You enjoyed Bloggs* Biscuits before the War - you'll enjoy them again after the War'

*she couldn't remember the name

littlesue
What is it they say?
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter? Well done Anniew.
TT...good job I took Travisina's advice and not drink tea while reading about our Hilda.
And then....no, not Woodstock!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
7,354,103 unique visits since 8th January 2014