Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Josette Simon at Big Finish
dragonq
Just checking the Big Finish website (as I do all too frequently,looking for traces of news about forthcoming Blakes 7 releases) and I note that Josette Simon is doing a new Doctor Who release with Tom Baker. So she clearly didn't object to her first experience of recording an audio with them. Which is not to say that she's ever going to do Blakes 7 with them, but one does sense a bit of a thaw. I enjoyed listening to the play she did with Paul McGann. She does allude to Blakes 7 in the special features which accompany that play, not altogether unkindly.

Avon The Alpha Grade
dragonq wrote:

Just checking the Big Finish website (as I do all too frequently,looking for traces of news about forthcoming Blakes 7 releases) and I note that Josette Simon is doing a new Doctor Who release with Tom Baker. So she clearly didn't object to her first experience of recording an audio with them. Which is not to say that she's ever going to do Blakes 7 with them, but one does sense a bit of a thaw. I enjoyed listening to the play she did with Paul McGann. She does allude to Blakes 7 in the special features which accompany that play, not altogether unkindly.

With the knowledge that big finish are probably not producing season 1/2 releases anymore, and the fact that they are making more b7 stories, I'd venture to say that either a recast or her return is highly likely.
Edited by Avon The Alpha Grade on 11 February 2017 13:35:55

Mistletoe12
A recast is the most likely option:

The following snippet from the BFD8 Transcript:

January 2016. Cavan Scott, in response to an audience member question:

Cavan Scott: Obviously, if we are going to be telling full cast stories, there are certain cast members who can’t be with us or won’t be with us. So we are looking at recasting Gan and we are looking at recasting Dayna – because we can’t keep looking for her. We have to find her at some point.

And this, from my 'An Afternoon with Josette Simon' review - 2nd October 2016.

Contrary to comments she’s read on social media which accuse her of snubbing her role as Dayna and her time on Blake’s 7 since the show ended in 1981, Josette explained that she doesn’t like to revisit previous projects – she prefers to “keep moving forward.” Her philosophy is “Do something that scares you.”

Ian asked Josette about working at Big Finish on their Doctor Who audios. There were those in the audience who were pleased to hear that she’s recorded a second audio, this time with Tom Baker, in a title yet to be released. Naturally, this led to the question: 'Would you consider resuming your role as Dayna in their Blake’s 7 audio range?'

I held my breath, already knowing the answer but hoping, somehow, here at the theatre, there would be a different response. But no, she won’t be returning to her role as Dayna; she’s quite adamant about that. But with the addendum, “Never say never.” It’s a tiny grain of hope, perhaps!

The ‘tiny grain of hope’ I mentioned in my review was just that. I wish it were different; but as much as I would love to see Josette return to playing Dayna, I feel the crew dynamic (S3) needs the Dayna character on the audios, integral to so many interactions and will happily accept a different actress in the role.

JustBrad
Mistletoe12 wrote:

Her philosophy is “Do something that scares you.”

Similar to Sir Ian McKellen's answer to the question, 'At this stage of your career, with so many offers, how do you choose a project?'

'If it's a good script, if it's a good director, if it's something new, and if I'm not sure I can do it, then I am a happy man.'

dragonq
I have to say, I can understand why she's not fussed about going back to something she did at the age of twenty. All I have to is think how I'd feel if asked to write a sequel to my first book. The reality is that most of us would probably not want to revisit our first jobs.

I am not even fussed about Dayna as a character. As an eighteen year old, I liked her for being a girl only a couple of years older than I was. These days, I just can't wrap my head around her casual enjoyment of violence. The biggest problem is that, now we don't have Blake, without Dayna, it is very hard to do full cast audios unless of course, they do recast. I just wish they'd make some kind of announcement about what they're up to.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.20 seconds
9,937,168 unique visits since 8th January 2014