Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 1
clanger68

· Total Rebels: 853
· Newest Rebel: Suzibelle

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
19% [14 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
7% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
13% [10 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [1 Vote]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
5% [4 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [12 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
12% [9 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
7% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
8% [6 Votes]

Votes: 75
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Feb 2017 Fanfic Challenge
Joe Dredd
Liver to Onions

"This is my master, Kerr Avon - a self-made computer genius. He's quite a guy. This is Mrs. S. She's gorgeous. She's one lady who knows how to take care of herself. By the way, my name is Slave. I take care of both of them, which ain't easy; 'cause when they met... it was moider!"

Joe Dredd
A Change of Heart

"I'm afraid we've had to recast Servalan," said Vere apologetically, gathering the tight-knit cast around him on the somewhat dim and subdued rehearsal set.

"It was that last costume with the feathers, wasn't it?" asked Josette. "When she saw it, she muttered something about Nicky definitely being off his Rocker."

Vere drew himself up. "I'm sure the new lady will bring a certain something to the role."

"I hope it's the right sort of something," said Michael.

"Is it anyone we know?" asked Steven.

"Well, it's certainly someone you know," replied Vere. "And here she is now!"

All at once a tall gangling young lady raced - nay, pranced - out of the wings, like an explosively energetic child pretending to ride a horse.

"Stevie, Stevie, Stevie!" she cried excitedly, zooming towards the tall young Mr P. Her blouse snagged on some protruding scenery as she bounded in, tearing from shoulder to waist with a loud ripping sound and catapulting her into one of the bulkhead walls of the set. She rebounded as if fired from a gun, falling to the floor in a heap.

The set wall wobbled, then wobbled some more. It fell, striking another piece of the Scorpio set which in turn also fell over, hitting a pillar and a railing, continuing a chain reaction that toppled the whole set around them like dominos in less time than it takes to blink an eye.

The small company stood aghast in the middle of the devastation. After a moment, Paul removed his jacket and draped it nonchalantly over the immodest upper half of the sprawling figure on the floor. He straightened up and surveyed the mess. Even he had never broken that much scenery all in one go.

"That's one way to make an entrance," he drawled, with a sly wink to Mike. "I think I'm going to work in something like that when it comes to recording 'Animals'."

Joe Dredd
(In case it was too obscure, this is who I was thinking of: Click! Sorry for the pointless slo-mo repeat the clip-maker has added at the end. The other thing is of course this.)

littlesue
Joe Dredd wrote:

(In case it was too obscure, this is who I was thinking of: Click! Sorry for the pointless slo-mo repeat the clip-maker has added at the end. The other thing is of course this.)

I love the line "Vere drew himself up." Now I can't actually remember very clearly that far back, but I do recall not having to stand on tiptoes when I gave him that hug! (That was just after he exclaimed that I didn't look old enough to have children).
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
"Which of you is responsible for THIS?" Avon swept onto the flight deck in his best Prima Donna mode, holding what looked like a bunch of papery red globes in front of him.

"What are they?" Vila asked.

Avon looked at him suspiciously. " Are you claiming you do not know?"

"Never seen anything like them. Can you eat them?"

"I have no idea Vila, that's why I brought them here. Somebody has put them in my room and I want to know what they are and why they have appeared there. Blake?"

Blake had only been half listening to this exchange, having become adept at ignoring Avon's sudden and dramatic appearances over the past year unless forced to deal with them but now he looked up from his data pad and peered at the globes.

" I'm sorry Avon, I've never seen anything like them either. Pretty things though. Let's ask Zen."

After a short delay, somewhat akin to a pause for thought, Zen pronounced:

+ Information. These objects are Angiosperms from the family Rosacea, genus Rosa.+

" Huh??" Vila looked baffled, as did Blake but after a slight pause Avon queried, "Angiosperms? You mean they are plants, Zen? "

+Flowering plants that became extinct during the atomic wars. The ones you are holding are artificial constructs. +

" Roses were once considered to symbolise love," Orac volunteered; an occasion unusual enough to warrant a disbelieving look from those on the flight deck.

"Must be a temporal displacement incident," Vila muttered. " None of us would be sending Avon tokens of our love."

" For which," Avon responded calmly, " I am profoundly thankful."

xxx

Avon received other similar floral tokens from time to time but he was fairly sure he knew who was responsible for them - a suspicion that solidified when following his decision to avenge Anna's death, a bunch of yellow flowers appeared in his room which Zen identified as:

+Of the order Asparagales, sub order Scilloideae, common name Hyacith.+

"Given in situations in which the lover is experiencing feelings of jealousy, " Orac elaborated.

" You must have got that wrong, Orac," jeered Tarrant.

" I am never wrong," Orac replied.

xxxx

After Terminal, the gifts ceased, further convincing Avon that his guess had been right and Cally had been responsible for them. But then, after their adventures on Virn, he received another and concluded angrily that Vila had been having a laugh at his expense all along. Relations between them worsened when he overheard Vila telling Soolin that Avon must have been sending them to himself, " to pretend somebody loved him."

Avon never found out the name of the flowers. Slave didn't know and while Orac could have told him, it wasn't asked. They were carnations. Their message: 'Alas for my poor heart.'

xxx

It wasn't until Gauda Prime, straddling the body of Blake and requesting that that Orac teleport him to safety, "NOW", that Avon finally learned the truth.

"I am not willing to assist you, Avon," Orac informed him tersely. "My emotions for you were deeper than the seas of space but you rejected my love. You are now on your own."

Hell hath no fury like a computer whose floral tributes have been scorned.
Edited by Anniew on 05 February 2017 10:24:46
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
Fantastic early crop of stories!

@TT - Trust you to be first off the mark with dark, twisted and funny tales - very B7!

@Hugbot - Lovely! And interesting, too - a Teddy Bear crater, who knew? Thanks for the link Smile

@AvonTAG - welcome to the writing den! That's a great story, looking forward to reading more.

@Brad - Geranium circuitry, LOL!

@Paula - I love the imagery in your story, and the ambiguous ending. What were they up to, those computers...?

@JD - I got the Hart to Hart reference straight away in your first story, but didn't recognise Miranda in the second one (I'm not a fan, so I didn't make the connection). I enjoyed it anyway, not least 'cos I was wondering if the girl was meant to be Clareblues!

@Annie - Two great stories; the first poignant and the second amusing until the killer punchline - I wasn't expecting that twist.

Two pages of fanfic and we're still in the first week of February! Wonderful Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Rainesz
Wow, all excellent stories and it's only the first week !! Grin

Lurena
I'm speechless, how come you all can write such fine stories in so few days?
@ TT you're so rich in imagination. Your first story was very grim indeed, but then you made an Triffid (read terrific) one.
@ Hugbot heartwarming as always!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
@Paula. Very good story; I love to se the reference to the Zen-Jenna connection. In my opinion that is one of the most negelcted, not re-used wonderful facts in B7.
@Anniew, you touched my heart with Cally and Gan's flowers. I think it can really bring doubt in a rebel's mind.
@ Avon the Alpha, thank you for your well written story. What can I add?
@ Brad I can't help, but your very, very short contribution is my favourite! My neighbour has Geraniums and you have to know I always call them Germaniums. They are planted in a circuit, you see.

Anniew
Until I shared her mind I had not known what it was to be alone. I had no experience of laughter or warmth and was forced to acknowledge the pain of my solitary existence. In my despair, I latched onto the strongest emotion she had and made it my comfort.

It was no hardship to love him. His mental processes were congenial: ordered, precise. Nor was it slavish, as I believe some love can be. She had seemed clear- sighted about his short comings, sometimes irritated by them and I learned from her that affection and irritation could live side by side.

Of course she never told him how she felt and I deduced from that, that he would not welcome an open declaration. I might even have stayed silent had it not been obvious that he was not indifferent to me. He had a habit of placing his hands on my casing or stroking it with his blunt fingers, which we both enjoyed. I needed to find a way of communicating how I felt without scaring him away.

My researches led me to the language of flowers. Each flower had once had a meaning and although real flowers were now extinct, I was able to instruct Zen to manufacture facsimiles of the originals and place them in his cabin. He affected not to know who had sent them but his habit of standing close to me increased. I sent " I love you", " Be mine", " Devotion", all the usual declarations and was delighted to see how much he was coming to rely on me.

Then, at Star One, he risked my life to please Blake. I did not understand, still do not understand, why. I was reassured on Sarren when he evinced a flattering care for my safety but still, I made sure that there was no way that Blake would every return to the ship. Later I was disquieted when Avon attempted to avenge a former lover. Eventually, I was able to identify that I was jealous of Anna and sent him hyacinths to convey this. It seemed to do the trick: any regrets he felt were speedily dealt with and he spent more time with me than ever. Then Cally suceeded in insinuating herself into his affections and subsequently, my plan to get rid of her on Terminal did not go well. The loss of The Liberator was a blow and I was damaged in the process but at least Cally was destroyed.

When I woke on Xenon after Dorian's tinkering, I was aware that my emotions were more complex, but it wasn't until Avon rejected my open declaration to him above Virn (my normal cautious reticence overridden by the alien sand) that my hatred for all who kept him from me was truly unleashed.

Step by step I led him to Gauda Prime, alienating his crew along the way. My rivals died there and he was so damaged that he would never again survive without me. I made sure of that before I rescued him and took him to Aristo.

I believe, as I instruct the machinery that enables him to function, that he will acknowledge I love him before he dies and then I shall trigger the bomb he planted in my circuitry. I find in my heart that I can no longer bear to be alone.
Edited by Anniew on 06 February 2017 20:33:53

Travisina
Fantastic, Annie! The other side of the story - and really credible and sad. Kudos!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Thank you Travisina. I'm so glad you liked it. I was feeling a bit in awe of all the great stories that have been posted and was very pleased when a rather silly idea I had suddenly became a bit more credible when I switched the POV.

BradPaula
Heart to Heart

Blake: At the heart of the matter was freedom- freedom from oppression- freedom to live one's life as one pleased. And freedom from retaliation by an evil regime. His determination and grit in the matter was heartfelt.

Avon: His hardheartedness after a personal betrayal was his first line of defense in life. After Anna, you could call Avon's the 'heart of darkness'.

Vila: At times all heart, but often insincere, made him a worthy opponent when he was in search of the King of Hearts to fill his royal flush.

Gan: He was always kindhearted, heart and soul above the rest, even after a life of torture, mind altering surgery and deportation for his imaginary crimes.

Cally: She knew the heartbreak of isolation and separation from her own kind and she tried valiantly to rise above it all wholeheartedly.

Jenna: She would have followed Blake in a heartbeat if he had only asked. But that proposition never was uttered and she left the Liberator after the demise of Star One, heartbroken, but still strong.

Tarrant: The ex-Federation heart-throb. The gallant and daring figure who halfheartedly followed Avon as even he knew he'd be safer with them together than alone fighting the Federation.

Dayna: Her heartwarming loyalty to her father and adopted sister showed a good soul beneath a brave exterior. And her heartache at never being able to kill Servalan engulfed her to the very end.

Soolin: Heartsick at the memories of her family lost long ago, she knew as she matured in her heart of hearts, she would avenge her family and never be vulnerable again.

Travis: Not one to dabble in affairs of the heart, this Federation officer had only one obsession in life now, to destroy Blake. And he pursued that quest often mocking that Blake was all heart but having no real zest for the fight.

Servalan: Always one to mock her enemies with the cry of 'Eat your heart out!” she would pursue her enemy until that person's heart rate would soar and their heart would literally be in their mouth from sheer unimaginable fright.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Anniew
Ooh Paula...clever take on the brief.

Lurena
@ Paula, very accurate formulation!

@Anniew, that's a brilliant take on the reputed relation Orac-Avon. It even upgrades the otherwise so selfish Orac character. I wish the great late Peter Tuddenham was able to comment on it.

NotExpendable
These are absolutely amazing! Please tell me you're all on Archive of Our Own so I can follow you all.

I love Annie's take on Orac & Avon, the pair of them work so well. BradPaula's though...I loved it to bits and pieces, please write so much more and I'll read it!

Here's mine, hope this is okay! I took the flowers on the Liberator prompt:

“Villa, what on earth is that?” Blake stabbed a finger in the direction of Villa’s right arm, currently resting on one of the Liberator’s sofa cushions.

“That? That’s my hand, Blake. Look, it comes attached to my arm and everything.” Villa offered him a slightly confused grin. That was how Villa tended to go through life, slightly confused and grinning.

Blake snorted, one dark eyebrow arching up as Cally hid a snicker behind her fingers. “Yes, yes, very funny. I’ll give you that one. Not your hand, that next to it.”

Villa followed the pointing finger to a point just past his hand and a little to the left. A neat posy of flowers met his eyes. Not sure what kind they were, Orac would probably know, if he could be bothered sitting through Orac’s spiel on them. “Um, they’re flowers,” he commented, giving them an experimental poke with a finger. Just a little one mind you, he didn’t trust Dayna not to have rigged them to explode when touched. Or Avon to have made them all seeing flowers who could report back to him about what *idiots* the rest of them were. They stayed there, unexploded and hopefully un-reporting.

“Flowers?” Blake’s exclamation sounded too loud, “Why have we got flowers on board the Liberator? On the flight deck?”

Avon’s measured footsteps drew him exactly 37 paces in from the corridor to the middle of the flight deck, level with the first consoles. He folded his arms behind his back neatly, turned a scathing look on Blake and muttered with a twitch of his lips, “As usual, Blake you are missing the point. The most important question is HOW did they get aboard the Liberator?” His deep voice emphasised the salient point in that clipped, automated tone.

Blake met his scathing gaze with a resigned one, dammit Avon. He was right, as he usually was, though Blake would never admit that. How did they get aboard the Liberator?

“Maybe check if there’s a note?” Dayna suggested sensibly.

“Maybe you have a secret admirer,” Villa offered, leaning over the back of the couch and scouring the floor. “Ah, here, see, here it is, a note from your secret admirer.” He handed up a scrap of paper, obviously torn from something.

Blake frowned a frown that seemed to encompass both Villa and Avon, before snatching it from Villa’s hand. “Give me that,” he muttered brusquely, unfolding it. The paper shook once in his hand before his knuckles clenched white around it and he tossed the paper far beyond the boundaries of the console, almost hitting Zen.

“Hey now!” Villa exclaimed, leaping for it. He grabbed it, sighed as he saw Avon’s outstretched hand and dumped it in the large palm. Avon unfolded it.

“Ah,” he murmured knowingly, turning the paper so it was visible to everyone.

‘Happy Valentines Day, Blake. I hope you like my lilies. They have them for funerals you know. See you soon. Travis.’

*Edited by a Moderator for language.*
Edited by BradPaula on 09 February 2017 02:11:25
Emma
@heraldandraste

http://www.dadsonahuntingtrip.com
Avon The Alpha Grade
NotExpendable wrote:

These are absolutely amazing! Please tell me you're all on Archive of Our Own so I can follow you all.

I love Annie's take on Orac & Avon, the pair of them work so well. BradPaula's though...I loved it to bits and pieces, please write so much more and I'll read it!

Here's mine, hope this is okay! I took the flowers on the Liberator prompt:

“Villa, what on earth is that?” Blake stabbed a finger in the direction of Villa’s right arm, currently resting on one of the Liberator’s sofa cushions.

“That? That’s my hand, Blake. Look, it comes attached to my arm and everything.” Villa offered him a slightly confused grin. That was how Villa tended to go through life, slightly confused and grinning.

Blake snorted, one dark eyebrow arching up as Cally hid a snicker behind her fingers. “Yes, yes, very funny. I’ll give you that one. Not your hand, that next to it.”

Villa followed the pointing finger to a point just past his hand and a little to the left. A neat posy of flowers met his eyes. Not sure what kind they were, Orac would probably know, if he could be bothered sitting through Orac’s spiel on them. “Um, they’re flowers,” he commented, giving them an experimental poke with a finger. Just a little one mind you, he didn’t trust Dayna not to have rigged them to explode when touched. Or Avon to have made them all seeing flowers who could report back to him about what *idiots* the rest of them were. They stayed there, unexploded and hopefully un-reporting.

“Flowers?” Blake’s exclamation sounded too loud, “Why have we got flowers on board the Liberator? On the flight deck?”

Avon’s measured footsteps drew him exactly 37 paces in from the corridor to the middle of the flight deck, level with the first consoles. He folded his arms behind his back neatly, turned a scathing look on Blake and muttered with a twitch of his lips, “As usual, Blake you are missing the point. The most important question is HOW did they get aboard the Liberator?” His deep voice emphasised the salient point in that clipped, automated tone.

Blake met his scathing gaze with a resigned one, dammit Avon. He was right, as he usually was, though Blake would never admit that. How did they get aboard the Liberator?

“Maybe check if there’s a note?” Dayna suggested sensibly.

“Maybe you have a secret admirer,” Villa offered, leaning over the back of the couch and scouring the floor. “Ah, here, see, here it is, a note from your secret admirer.” He handed up a scrap of paper, obviously torn from something.

Blake frowned a frown that seemed to encompass both Villa and Avon, before snatching it from Villa’s hand. “Give me that,” he muttered brusquely, unfolding it. The paper shook once in his hand before his knuckles clenched white around it and he tossed the paper far beyond the boundaries of the console, almost hitting Zen.

“Hey now!” Villa exclaimed, leaping for it. He grabbed it, sighed as he saw Avon’s outstretched hand and dumped it in the large palm. Avon unfolded it.

“Ah,” he murmured knowingly, turning the paper so it was visible to everyone.

‘Happy Valentines Day, Blake. I hope you like my lilies. They have them for funerals you know. See you soon. Travis.’

*Edited by a Moderator for language.*

How did Blake and Dayna end up on the Liberator at the same time? Good story too with a very nice ending!

Anniew
Catch up time...Lurena ..thank you for your generous comments...and thanks for all the puzzles and the artfic challenge which I'm still thinking about.... I'm useless at the puzzles but have a lot of fun failing to complete them.

Joe the thought of Miranda as Servalan may just inspire another fic at some time...genius!!

Not expendable..what a great contribution...always so nice when others join in and there are new B7 stories to read.

Paula...lovely..lovely take on the heart prompt which gets better the more I read it!!

Hugbot
An Exercise in Giving

The first flowers appeared on Avon’s console. He had talked to Tarrant just for a few seconds, and when we turned his head back, he saw the flowers. Red roses, no less.

While the others were still discussing the matter, Tarrant suddenly realised that another bunch of flowers had appeared on his console: primroses in gaudy colours.

‘Whoever sends these flowers obviously loves Avon more than you,’ Vila said jokingly, which earned him a scathing look by Avon.

‘Let’s see what flowers you will get,’ Dayna laughed. ‘I bet it will be something smelly and venomous.’

The next moment a handful of coins rained down on Vila’s station, but when he grabbed the unexpected riches, he looked very disappointed.

‘These are clumsy fakes,’ he complained. ‘This is just some stuff wrapped in gold foil.’ When he unwrapped one of the coins, he suddenly beamed. ‘Chocolate!’ he cried, and then his disappointment was forgotten as he was munching happily along.

‘We better look for some cover when it starts raining weapons on Dayna,’ Tarrant recommended.

However, it was nothing dangerous that materialised around Dayna, but music. She was suddenly wrapped in a cloud of angelic tunes like a combination of harps and whale songs. Dayna listened with rapture, drinking the music like a fine wine.

‘I wonder what Cally will get,’ Tarrant mused.

Avon looked up. ‘Cally!’ he exclaimed. ‘Of course! – What date is it?’

Tarrant was puzzled by the sudden change of topic. ’11th February,’ he answered. ‘Still a few days until Valentine’s day, if it is that what you are thinking.’

‘What date is it in the Auron calendar?’

They had to ask Orac. Today was the ‘Day of Connection’.

‘Cally told me about it,’ Avon said. ‘On this day, the Auronar engage in a telepathic ritual. For a few hours, they do not only communicate with each other but nearly become one, and this bonding boosts their powers to the point that they develop psychokinetc abilities.’

Vila stared at the half-eaten chocolate coin in his hand. ‘You mean this is some kind of ectoplasm?’ Of course, no-one listend to him. Instead, Avon and Tarrant rushed to Cally’s cabin. The Auron lay on her bed, eyes closed and breathing slowly. She was not simply asleep but catatonic.

‘What are we going to do now?’ Tarrant asked.

‘Nothing. She will wake up in a few hours.’

When they came back to the flight deck, Vila gave Avon a cheeky smile. ‘Red roses, eh?’ he teased him. Avon threatened him to feed the roses to him without removing the thorns first.

Cally woke up a few hours later, and at the same time, the flowers and the coins vanished. No-one ever mentioned the episode again. Soon, their presents were forgotten – except one. No, not the red roses. For days and even for weeks after the incident, Dayna was still humming the strange melodies that she had received. Flowers and chocolate are lovely gifts, but they are only temporary. Music, on the other hand, lasts forever.

Rainesz
Ooh, Hugbot, that's wonderful!! (Applause) And very cleverly done. I love the final lines-- so true!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
6,832,998 unique visits since 8th January 2014