Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
John Hurt has passed away
Rainesz
Angry Angel wrote:

Rainesz, that's a great picture and a lovely inscription. He really did keep going after he first became ill, and I'm so glad we have so many wonderful roles to remember him by. I was especially fond of The Storyteller, he was great in that.

YES!! I absolutely LOVED The Storyteller!!
My first memory of John Hurt was actually as the voice of Hazel in Watership Down, then The Elephant Man. In both cases I had no idea what he really looked like... until I saw Alien. Wink

And yes, when I heard he was in remission, I thought he had beaten his illness. Which is why this came so much as a shock. He kept vigilantly working, which shows his great energy and dedication.

Lurena
Very sad news, RIP Mr Hurt.
Elephant Man, Watership Down and more. A very talented man will be sorely missed.

2017 has already taken a lot of lovely people/ great talents away from us.
I had to say farewell to several wellknown actors and artists of my country too.
It is getting silent.

@Rainesz. That is fabulous artwork! And so heartwarming to read that Mr Hurt has seen your creation. One can not wish for a better inspiration.
I assume your work will be a heartfelt good memory and will comfort you.
Thank you for sharing the artwork and its background story.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Rainesz
@Rainesz. That is fabulous artwork! And so heartwarming to read that Mr Hurt has seen your creation. One can not wish for a better inspiration.
I assume your work will be a heartfelt good memory and will comfort you.
Thank you for sharing the artwork and its background story.

Thank you, Lurena!
He asked my friend Sandra if she had an extra copy of the sketch for him to keep. (She did.) Such a kind gentleman.

Travisina
Rainesz wrote:

Angry Angel wrote:

I was especially fond of The Storyteller, he was great in that.

YES!! I absolutely LOVED The Storyteller!!

Me too!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
"The Storyteller" got a DVD (re?)release not long ago in September last year. Click! It's very cheap but I do believe there is some question marks over how 'complete' it is.

I've always found Robert Graves to be eminently readable and the two Claudius books were my default 'grab a book running out the door' train reading if I was wasting time dithering. I knew the stories so well I could just start from anywhere and put the book down again when I came home. As such the "I, Claudius" TV series has always been a firm favourite and of course there's lots to admire (Brian "VARUS! WHERE ARE MY EAGLES?" Blessed as Augustus) and compare (Livia and Tiberius vs. Servalan and Travis 1); not to mention Patrick Stewart (Sejanus) with curly hair, Kevin Stoney as Thrasyllus, Ro, Stratford Johns, poor Clau-Clau's friend Herod etc! But John Hurt as Caligula - brr! Chilling - totally crackers and unavoidable.

The stories and Derek Jacobi make it easy to sympathise with Claudius. Things just don't go right for him and even when Emperor his wife is cheating on him etc. I always wish he would win but it's not how this tale or history runs. But yes, Caligula - the next step up (or down) as Tiberius installs someone even worse to make himself look good in comparison. Hurt does a fantastic job in the role. It's almost too terrible to watch. Fortunately the BBC crowd scenes consisting of three people or (usually) supplied unseen by GRAMS helps keep me grounded otherwise I'd have cringed up into a very small ball watching this part of the series!

And of course, there's a B7-ish connection via Jacqueline Pearce too.

PS Rainesz, another brilliant drawing. I love that the clock hand is between 8 and 9. Very good!

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:
But yes, Caligula - the next step up (or down) as Tiberius installs someone even worse to make himself look good in comparison. Hurt does a fantastic job in the role. It's almost too terrible to watch...I'd have cringed up into a very small ball watching this part of the series!

The first time I watched THAT scene with Caligula & his sister, where the camera pans leisurely around the room and you don't see what he's doing but OMG you hear it - I was staying with my grandmother, and she'd cooked liver as a special treat, but I hated liver. The combination of liver and Caligula left me feeling very sick and utterly traumatised!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

clareblues1
Another sad loss...and with it a wonderful talent. RIP
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Rainesz
Travisina wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:
But yes, Caligula - the next step up (or down) as Tiberius installs someone even worse to make himself look good in comparison. Hurt does a fantastic job in the role. It's almost too terrible to watch...I'd have cringed up into a very small ball watching this part of the series!

The first time I watched THAT scene with Caligula & his sister, where the camera pans leisurely around the room and you don't see what he's doing but OMG you hear it - I was staying with my grandmother, and she'd cooked liver as a special treat, but I hated liver. The combination of liver and Caligula left me feeling very sick and utterly traumatised!

Oddly enough the same college friend who introduced me to Blake's 7 also got me to watch I Claudius for the first time. (Again, it was a PBS marathon.) We had pizza and coffee and she warned me that Caligula was coming. Me: "Oh, it's John Hurt! Yay!" Then: "OH MY GOD did that just happen OH MY GOD" etc. Needless to say, very memorable. Wink
And yes, I was traumatized by it as well. Excellent chilling performance.

Henry Eggleton
[color=#0000ff]Terrible news, soon there will be no one left from my childhood heroes[/color]
What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.35 seconds
9,128,508 unique visits since 8th January 2014