Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 1
aralias

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
John Hurt has passed away
dragonq
Everyone, this just popped up on my Facebook feed, via David Tennant. I imagine more news will be flooding in soon.

This is very sad.

sweevo
The Alien's very first victim, the Elephant Man, the Winston Smith of a generation, the corrupt chancellor of a totalitarian Britain, the voice of an Imperial Fist chaplain, the academic colleague of Henry Jones Junior... and the War Doctor. RIP, John. Sad

dragonq
He really was the most extraordinary actor. I first became aware of him as a teenager with his portrayal of Caligula in I, Claudius, and Quentin Crisp in The Naked Civil Servant. And honestly, which scene does everyone remember from Alien?

Also, those Big Finish War Doctor serials are an absolute gift to the fandom. I have listened to the first three several times, and have been anticipating the final instalment, due in February. It's a wonderful performance.

JustBrad
Ouch.

One of the best actors, and nicest men ever.

BradPaula
Gutted. Another giant gone. Guess 2017 isn't going to behave as we'd like. RIP the War Doctor.

Rainesz
I'm devastated by this.
I found out while I was at work and I had to try to keep it together.

Travisina
I've just woken up to this news - very upset.

John Hurt was amazing in every role he played. I first saw him as Caligula in 'I Claudius' (oddly, I've been thinking about that rather a lot recently) then as Quentin Crisp in 'The Naked Civil Servant'. (It took me years to summon the courage to see 'Alien' - I knew what happens and couldn't bring myself to watch it on the big screen!).

I'm so grateful to have had a chance to work with him on the BBC series Merlin. Although we didn't actually meet, editing together a scene with Richard Wilson as Gaius and John Hurt as the Voice of the Dragon was one of the highlights of that job.

We're lucky to have had him with us as long as we did - to survive as long as he did with pancreatic cancer is incredibly rare. We're privileged to have had him as one of the Doctors. I just wish he could have gone on longer. Sad

RIP.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
RIP John Hurt.

A tremendous actor.

Anniew
Such a loss. He created so many memorable roles. I am grateful we had him for as long as we did and that he gifted us The War Doctor towards the end of his career.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

President Solvite
Indeed sad news. A talented actor who has taken their final bow.

I fear the next few years will be the same with the greats we know and love from our 'formative' years will take their final curtain and will be sorely missed.

Rest Peace John

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
rojkerr1
RIP, the Ninth Dr. What a brilliant actor!

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

I'm so grateful to have had a chance to work with him on the BBC series Merlin. Although we didn't actually meet, editing together a scene with Richard Wilson as Gaius and John Hurt as the Voice of the Dragon was one of the highlights of that job.

We're actually watching that now. Had no idea you were involved. Yes, Richard Wilson is brilliant. I keep wanting to see more of him and less of Merlin....

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

Travisina wrote:

We're actually watching that now. Had no idea you were involved. Yes, Richard Wilson is brilliant. I keep wanting to see more of him and less of Merlin....

Yep, I was the editor on two eps in the first season - 'A Remedy to Cure All Ills' (guest starring the wonderful Julian Rhind-Tutt) and 'The Moment of Truth' (guest starring - be still my heart - Alexander Siddig). Check out my credit at the end!

It was 'Remedy' that had the big scene with Gaius and the Dragon. Putting it together was like doing radio - all I had to work with was Richard Wilson standing in a small area of green screen and the Dragon's lines pre-recorded by John Hurt. I put in captions for where I thought the CGI should be - 'Close up Dragon', 'Medium 2-shot' etc. When I eventually saw the finished scene, it blew me away!

Rainesz
JustBrad wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Oh Travisina, how awesome!! That must have been amazing!

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

When I eventually saw the finished scene, it blew me away!

Yes, it was very effective.

Travisina
Rainesz wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Oh Travisina, how awesome!! That must have been amazing!

It was! One of the most enjoyable editing jobs I had. Smile

Rainesz
68.media.tumblr.com/f62ae7b8db36fb396807a79e5ce3d79a/tumblr_okh7innZgn1r5h3a9o1_1280.jpg

I posted this on Twitter last night, but three years ago my friend Sandra was attending an event in Norwich where John Hurt was giving a talk. At the time, for fun, I was drawing portraits of all the Doctors in my sketchbook and Sandra printed out some copies of the War Doctor and asked John to sign one for me (as a surprise for me because she knew how much I loved his work.)

He wrote "Keep going!" when Sandra told him what I was up to. And this was what inspired me to go and do inked and painted versions of them all. (He eventually got to see the finished version too.)

68.media.tumblr.com/45a7ceb2a1eba1f34e08feed7f3e479a/tumblr_nuqjx1zksW1r5h3a9o1_1280.jpg

Travisina
Rainesz, I love your artwork - that pic of the War Doctor is amazing (as is the whole of your Dr Who series). Kudos!

Rainesz
Travisina wrote:

Rainesz, I love your artwork - that pic of the War Doctor is amazing (as is the whole of your Dr Who series). Kudos!

Thank you so much, Travisina. <3 This "project" of mine grew more than I ever expected.

Angry Angel
Rainesz, that's a great picture and a lovely inscription. He really did keep going after he first became ill, and I'm so glad we have so many wonderful roles to remember him by. I was especially fond of The Storyteller, he was great in that.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.95 seconds
9,166,878 unique visits since 8th January 2014