Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Season C Rewatch - C2 Powerplay
trevor travis
The episode: Colin Two - Powerplay
The date: Tuesday, January 31st, 2017
The time: 7.45pm UK time

So just who was the young curly-haired gentleman at the end of the previous episode? If it was Dallas or Die-nasty, it would turn out to be Blake’s long-lost son. And why is Mr Bronson from Grange Hill on the Liberator? Is Avon heading the detention, for answering back too many times? Meanwhile, Vila , Cally, Servalan and Avalon (or is it the Avalon android?) are all set for a touching reunion on the planet Chenga, where someone is after Vila’s body, but perhaps not in the way that he’d like.

Everyone is free to join in with this rewatch, as a murderer is loose on the Liberator and Dayna shows she’s a very deadly young lady…

JustBrad
I get back from a little side trip,
And this tall guy starts giving me lip.
Vila and Cally avoid their finale,
But as for Blake, this is MY ship.

littlesue
I've just been watching an old interview with Mr Nation (oh I wish I had met him!).
He said something about having a baddie and a narrative that goes from a, b,c, right through to z.
Well, Powerplay definitely ticks all the boxes. Its a fab bit of telly.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
littlesue wrote:

I've just been watching an old interview with Mr Nation (oh I wish I had met him!).
He said something about having a baddie and a narrative that goes from a, b,c, right through to z.

Supreme Commander Diane & I were very privileged to meet him at one of the American conventions, where we interviewed him for Horizon. He was a really nice chap, friendly and interesting.
One of the other things he told us about the way he wrote was that he would start each ep by 'splitting up the team' - Doctor and Companion, various members of the B7 crew, etc would go off in different directions so you had at least two lots of dramatic things going on that you could cut between.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

littlesue wrote:

Supreme Commander Diane & I were very privileged to meet him at one of the American conventions, where we interviewed him for Horizon. He was a really nice chap, friendly and interesting.
One of the other things he told us about the way he wrote was that he would start each ep by 'splitting up the team' - Doctor and Companion, various members of the B7 crew, etc would go off in different directions so you had at least two lots of dramatic things going on that you could cut between.

That's the one thing that I have noticed with all his work..parallel plot lines. You are so lucky to have met the man himself.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

JustBrad
It's an idea that worked well for Shakespeare, the parallel sub plot.

The Tempest
Much Ado
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Merchant of Venice

Most of the comedies, actually.

Travisina
I'm going out this evening so won't be around for the rewatch. Have fun, and I'll catch up with your comments later.

Avon The Alpha Grade
JustBrad wrote:

It's an idea that worked well for Shakespeare, the parallel sub plot.

The Tempest
Much Ado
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Merchant of Venice

Most of the comedies, actually.

I think the A/B structure is used quite commonly in modern TV. When I still watched it, I noticed it was basically how every single family guy episode was plotted. That and Star Trek DS9.

Travisina
Avon The Alpha Grade wrote:

[quote]JustBrad wrote:

I think the A/B structure is used quite commonly in modern TV. When I still watched it, I noticed it was basically how every single family guy episode was plotted. That and Star Trek DS9.

Hi Avon the Alpha Grade, welcome to the forum!

Yes, the A/B structure is used a lot in film and TV - but not all the time. Compare for example Star Wars Ep IV (the whole gang together) with Star Wars Ep V (cutting between Han & Leia, and Luke going off to do his own thing on Dagobah). Or Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring (all hobbits together), with The Two Towers - Frodo & Sam going one way, Merry & Pippin the other.

Avon The Alpha Grade
Travisina wrote:

[quote]JustBrad wrote:

Yes, the A/B structure is used a lot in film and TV - but not all the time. Compare for example Star Wars Ep IV (the whole gang together) with Star Wars Ep V (cutting between Han & Leia, and Luke going off to do his own thing on Dagobah). Or Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring (all hobbits together), with The Two Towers - Frodo & Sam going one way, Merry & Pippin the other.

I think it works well for shows around an hour long. Sometimes the B plot can be pure filler. I think the format was done the best in Rumors of Death.

Travisina

Travisina wrote:

[quote]JustBrad wrote:

I think it works well for shows around an hour long. Sometimes the B plot can be pure filler. I think the format was done the best in Rumors of Death.

Rumours of Death is the best episode for many reasons, and certainly in terms of plotting. Compared with Shadow which although is lots of fun has IMO too many plots going on...

Angry Angel
Travisina wrote:

Rumours of Death is the best episode for many reasons, and certainly in terms of plotting. Compared with Shadow which although is lots of fun has IMO too many plots going on...

I was just about to say that Shadow is so good because it combines so many plot threads well.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Avon The Alpha Grade
Travisina wrote:

Travisina wrote:

[quote]JustBrad wrote:

I haven't seen Shadow in quite a while. Don't remember enjoying it much. Although Cally is one of my favourite characters, I found her subplot quite out of place when it comes to the series as a whole.

And in reply to your first message, I'm glad to be here!

Travisina
Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I was just about to say that Shadow is so good because it combines so many plot threads well.

Okay, you try summarising it in 75 words! (That's what we had to do for the trading cards, and it was quite a challenge...)

Avon The Alpha Grade
Travisina wrote:

Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Okay, you try summarising it in 75 words! (That's what we had to do for the trading cards, and it was quite a challenge...)

The liberator crew visit a space station and threaten a druglord. They rescue some drug addicts who help to destroy shadow for good. Orac gets possessed and decides to screw with Cally. She manages to fight it off somehow and gets some pet rocks.

It's been a while and that's what I remember. It's not 75 words and I've probably missed about ten subplots.

Angry Angel
Travisina wrote:

Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Oh, so that's what you've got against it! Wink

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Travisina
Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

The only way we could get the synopsis down to the word count was by losing Vila's trip to Space City and all mention of Bek and Hanna!

Avon The Alpha Grade
Travisina wrote:

Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

The only way we could get the synopsis down to the word count was by losing Vila's trip to Space City and all mention of Bek and Hanna!

Does the plot require all the threads though? If it doesn't, then quite a lot of it's filler.

President Solvite
I also agree with Shadow is a great, complex and fun episode.

I don't know the inability of being unable to sum it up in under 75 words makes it less of an episode. Whilst I agree it would be a challenge I personally welcome the complexity of the various plot strands and locations. It may have many flavours but it holds together nicely. Indeed very nicely in my book.

I love things that don't go into a neat little box, probably why I enjoy series like Blake's 7 so much. Whereas shows like Trek generally are very simple plot wise. Animals in contrast you could probably sum up in less than 75 words quite easily, but doesn't make it a good episode.. Well apart from Avon slipping on some Og 'poo' that is. Pfft

Powerplay is also a great episode, a simpler plot , but with a murder?! mystery thrown in. With some nice comedic relief with Vila.

Hopefully will make it tonight to bring my score up to 2 out of 2 Grin

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Avon The Alpha Grade
President Solvite wrote:

I also agree with Shadow is a great, complex and fun episode.

I don't know the inability of being unable to sum it up in under 75 words makes it less of an episode. Whilst I agree it would be a challenge I personally welcome the complexity of the various plot strands and locations. It may have many flavours but it holds together nicely. Indeed very nicely in my book.

I love things that don't go into a neat little box, probably why I enjoy series like Blake's 7 so much. Whereas shows like Trek generally are very simple plot wise. Animals in contrast you could probably sum up in less than 75 words quite easily, but doesn't make it a good episode.. Well apart from Avon slipping on some Og 'poo' that is. Pfft

Powerplay is also a great episode, a simpler plot , but with a murder?! mystery thrown in. With some nice comedic relief with Vila.

Hopefully will make it tonight to bring my score up to 2 out of 2 Grin

It's good but not as good as other stories like Rumors of Death, Sarcophagus and Death-Watch. I think it's a great introduction for Tarrant too. A great performance as always from Michael Sheard too.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.45 seconds
9,493,683 unique visits since 8th January 2014