Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
RIP- Gorden Kaye, star of 'Allo 'Allo, dies at 75
BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Thanks, TT for the overview of 'Allo 'Allo. I don't think it ever made it over the Pond. But I might take a look on YouTube and see if I can find some episodes.

Here you go, Paula -

https://www.youtu...YKJzIw3TpS
Not the greatest format (stretched to widescreen with the bottom of the screen cut off) but it will give you an idea.

If you like it, the DVDs are available from Amazon

Thank you, Travisina, most kind!

rojkerr1
the sequel to Secret Army was also good: Kessler ,very chilling and probably more accurate than we think, like Boys from Brazil

Joe Dredd
I didn't think "Kessler" lived up to "Secret Army", which is television drama at its best and - for all the joy of "Allo Allo" - shamefully eclipsed by the comedy show that copied its template. The whole thing is gripping but the last three episodes where the war is drawing to an end kick the whole thing up a gear.

"Secret Army" has a few B7 connections, particularly with Valentine Dyall, Juliet Hammond-Hill, one of the other Seska (not Alison Glennie, though she was daughter Ingrid in "Kessler", I think), and Christopher Neame to n(e!)ame a few.

I think my favourite bit of 'Allo 'Allo was when Rene gets word the resistance are smuggling explosives to him.

Michelle: A man will bring them to your cafe. They will be concealed in his trousers.
Rene: And 'ow will I recognise him?
Michelle: He will be walking rather gingerly.

Later Rene sees the effeminate German, Lt Gruber arrive at the cafe. Gruber is wearing riding pants and is rather tender after his morning horse ride.

Rene: (Uncertain) Er, you seem to be walking rather gingerly, Lieutenant. Do you... (gathers strength) Do you have dynamite in your trousers?
Gruber: Oh Rene, you shouldn't listen to rumours.

Joe Dredd
briggsy1 wrote:

Many who had lived through World War 2 thought 'Allo 'Allo to be in poor taste but the producers of the show decided enough time had passed since 1945 that they would get away with it.

I wonder if there was a similar reaction to "Hogans Heroes", with it's bumbling comedy Nazis. It was made earlier and much closer to the war.

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:
Ha! That's a play on the Danny Kaye film 'The Court Jester' - "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle..."

It's a great movie.

Which reminds me, I promised to watch "White Christmas" (with Kaye, & Crosby) with my daughter.

BradPaula
Joe Dredd wrote:

Travisina wrote:
Ha! That's a play on the Danny Kaye film 'The Court Jester' - "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle..."

It's a great movie.

Which reminds me, I promised to watch "White Christmas" (with Kaye, & Crosby) with my daughter.

I try every year to watch White Christmas, even though it is Hollywood at its wackiest. Still fun and great to watch Danny Kaye and Rosie Clooney.

BradPaula
Joe Dredd wrote:

briggsy1 wrote:

Many who had lived through World War 2 thought 'Allo 'Allo to be in poor taste but the producers of the show decided enough time had passed since 1945 that they would get away with it.

I wonder if there was a similar reaction to "Hogans Heroes", with it's bumbling comedy Nazis. It was made earlier and much closer to the war.

Problem is, watching Hogan's Heroes now, and even as a kid, was is cringe worthy making the Nazi's bumbling. What were they thinking?

Lurena
The knobs had been flashing here too; very sad news.
Thank you for the hours of funny entertainment,
Gorden (Gordon) Kaye,
Rest in Peace

(I used to have all eps on tape, my daughter took them with her, but I'd like to get them on DVD)
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
JustBrad
BradPaula wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

briggsy1 wrote:

Problem is, watching Hogan's Heroes now, and even as a kid, was is cringe worthy making the Nazi's bumbling. What were they thinking?

The irony is that several of the actors in that series were real life concentration camp survivors, including Robert Clery and Leon Askin. John Banner was born in Austria. In 1938 his family fled the Anschluss and moved to the United States. In 1942 he enlisted in the US Army.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.30 seconds
9,125,364 unique visits since 8th January 2014