Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
RIP- Gorden Kaye, star of 'Allo 'Allo, dies at 75
sooper mouse
http://www.telegr...o-dies-75/

Gorden Kaye, star of the hit BBC sitcom 'Allo 'Allo, has died aged 75.

He died in a care home this morning, his former agent told BBC News.

Kaye played cafe owner Rene Artois in the show, which ran from 1982-1992 and was set in Nazi-occupied France. Each episode saw Rene and members of the French Resistance outwitting the Germans. He appeared in all 84 episodes of the sitcom and in a one-off revival in 2007.

Kaye suffered serious head injuries in a car accident during the 'Burns' Day Storm' of 1990, but made a good recovery and returned to television.

Born in Huddersfield, he got his TV break playing Elsie Tanner's nephew, Bernard Butler, in Coronation Street in 1969. Later roles included appearances in the film version of Porridge, Terry Gilliam's Brazil, and a BBC production of Mansfield Park.

His last screen role was in BBC sketch show Revolver in 2004.

The unusual spelling of his first name is said to have been the result of a hospital typing error when he was born.

Carmen Silvera, who played Rene's wife Edith in 'Allo 'Allo, died in 2002.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

trevor travis
That's a shame - he was terrific in 'Allo 'Allo.

His actual name was Gordon. But the Equity acting union registered it incorrectly as Gorden.

RIP.

clareblues1
I've just heard the news too, such a sad loss, always loved his role in Allo Allo. RIP.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Anniew
Very sad to hear this, though I confess I thought he'd died as the result of the accident. A brilliant comic actor .

Thank you very much for posting this Sooper Mouse.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
Ah, sad news.

RIP
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

President Solvite
Very sad, he also had a small role in Jabberwocky, something I watched a few months back

Rest in Peace Gorden
Edited by President Solvite on 23 January 2017 20:47:06

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
briggsy1
And he also appeared in Codename Icarus, a five part conspiracy thriller aimed at kids which I'm rewatching at the moment by a strange coincidence. I remember this fondly from my childhood.

Anniew
I shall say zis more than once...he was a lovely actor.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
Nighthawk down!

I seem to remember Mr Kaye playing a character directing Mr Humphries in an "Are You Being Served?"

RIP Mr Kaye. Au revoir, Rene Artois.

BradPaula
I never saw 'Allo 'Allo but I seem to remember him in "Are You Being Served?" Another sad loss. RIP Gorden.

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

I never saw 'Allo 'Allo but I seem to remember him in "Are You Being Served?" Another sad loss. RIP Gorden.

Paula – ‘Allo ‘Allo was great. It was set in wartime France, and it gently ribs everyone - the French, Germans, English and Italians. Everyone in the programme was a stereotype.

Rene (that’s Gorden Kaye) was the central character. He had his fingers in every pie – he helped the French resistance and secreted away the dim English airmen; collaborated with the Germans; was having passionate affairs with his bar maids, coming up with increasing more ludicrous excuses to his wife; and occasionally had the stolen painting, the Fallen Madonna With The Big Boobies, in his possession.

In the first series, Rene fakes his own death, pretending to be shot by the Germans, and then spends the rest of the show pretending to Rene, who is Rene’s twin brother with the same name.

It’s wonderful stuff.

BradPaula
Thanks, TT for the overview of 'Allo 'Allo. I don't think it ever made it over the Pond. But I might take a look on YouTube and see if I can find some episodes.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

Thanks, TT for the overview of 'Allo 'Allo. I don't think it ever made it over the Pond. But I might take a look on YouTube and see if I can find some episodes.

Here you go, Paula -

https://www.youtu...YKJzIw3TpS
Not the greatest format (stretched to widescreen with the bottom of the screen cut off) but it will give you an idea.

If you like it, the DVDs are available from Amazon

trevor travis
I think my favourite episode was the Gateau From The Chateau:

Capt. Hans Geering: Do you not see? That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
René: Simple plots are always the best.

That episode is also on YouTube, in around 5 parts.

briggsy1
Many who had lived through World War 2 thought 'Allo 'Allo to be in poor taste but the producers of the show decided enough time had passed since 1945 that they would get away with it. In any case it follows in the long tradition of British farce and can't be taken at face value, and is even handed in taking the mickey out of everyone.

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

I think my favourite episode was the Gateau From The Chateau:

Capt. Hans Geering: Do you not see? That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
René: Simple plots are always the best.

Ha! That's a play on the Danny Kaye film 'The Court Jester' - "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle..."
https://www.youtu...J9f2rnjB84

clareblues1
I always loved the amusingly tricky conversations between the French Policeman (Arthur Bostrom) and Rene. "Good mo'ning"
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Angry Angel
briggsy1 wrote:

Many who had lived through World War 2 thought 'Allo 'Allo to be in poor taste but the producers of the show decided enough time had passed since 1945 that they would get away with it. In any case it follows in the long tradition of British farce and can't be taken at face value, and is even handed in taking the mickey out of everyone.

Wasn't it also a spoof of Secret Army, and thus another level removed from the reality of the war?

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Neil C
Angry Angel wrote:

briggsy1 wrote:

Wasn't it also a spoof of Secret Army, and thus another level removed from the reality of the war?

Well done AA! I wondered if anyone else would know about that. Allo Allo was basically the comedy version of Secret Army.

Secret Army is three seasons of brilliant 1970's British (war) drama at its finest. My father served in WW2, wouldn't even watch the Sullivans, cos of the war themes/background,
but we religiously sat down as a family to watch Secret Army. StandartenFuhrer Kessler (played by the brilliant Clifford Rose) is a character who has stayed with me all my life.
All 3 seasons of this landmark telly series are on DVD....well worth a watch, in so many ways.

Anyway Vale Rene....errrm Gordy !! Smile

P.s. Hello to Vicki Michelle......you gorgeous archetypal feminine creature of all things lovelyWinkWinkWink

P.P.s. Sorry Gordy; even on the pull in the midst of the obituaries......SadSadCool

Security Robot
He was brilliant as the News Reader in Come Back Mrs. Noah, spoofing regional news magazine Nation Wide - Far and Wide.
The show has been posted on Youtube for quite some time and it's well worth watching as there are a few SCI-FI ideas that have been used in Films and TV shows since.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.56 seconds
9,164,068 unique visits since 8th January 2014