Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Avon's timeline
Travisina
I love Sarcophagus. Fantastic writing, directing, design, music - Dayna singing! - everything.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
sooper mouse wrote:
Fourth: Avon was convicted without a trial.

I don't remember that. When did that get revealed?

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:
It's the episode where the subtext becomes the text!

I just like spaceships.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

Rainesz wrote:Tanith Lee is what made me start watching Blake's 7 and her episodes were my favorites. I was introduced to B7 by a friend in college when we watched a marathon on PBS. They only showed select episodes, but my interest in the show peaked at "Sarcophagus".

I absolutely loved "Sarcophagus" on original transmission. I was only 6 at the time. I was convinced Avon and Cally were boyfriend and girlfriend.

It has remained one of my favourite episodes until the present day. It's the episode where the subtext becomes the text! Great episode.

assumed subtext. Sarcophagus is glorified het fic
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Anniew
Sarcophagus is glorified het fic
. Maybe but what glory...
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

i guess it gave a lot of female Avon fans someone to project onto. Including Tanith Lee. There's better stuff on AO3
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

I don't know what 'het fic' is. I just know Sarcophagus is glorious! Wink

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

I can't put it in a family friendly explanation right now, but i'm sure you can figure it out

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

I can't put it in a family friendly explanation right now, but i'm sure you can figure it out

Well, given that Sarcophagus was my favourite episode at the age of 6, it's hardly what you're suggesting it is, whatever it is!!!! Grin Grin

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:
Not all fiction is explicit.
Anniew wrote:

Well, given that Sarcophagus was my favourite episode at the age of 6, it's hardly what you're suggesting it is, whatever it is!!!! Grin Grin

Not all fiction is explicit. But considering the whole A/C rests on it, you'll pardon me for not taking it remotely seriously.

Rainesz
"Het fic" is short for "heterosexual pairing" fan fiction. It can be just romantic or more explicit. (More adult themes)

But if it's occurred within the actual show I don't think it's fan fiction anymore: it's canon.

Tanith Lee also was asked to write two radio plays for Paul Darrow."The Silver Sky", a science fiction story, is the only one I've been able to find so far.
Edited by Rainesz on 15 January 2017 17:46:15

sooper mouse
Rainesz wrote:

"Het fic" is short for "heterosexual pairing" fan fiction. It can be just romantic or more explicit. (More adult themes)

But if it's occurred within the actual show I don't think it's fan fiction anymore: it's canon.

Tanith Lee also was asked to write two radio plays for Paul Darrow."The Silver Sky", a science fiction story, is the only one I've been able to find so far.

of course it's canon, since it's in the show.
BUT that's the only difference between it and anything on AO3. Before sarcophagus, the "relationship" before Avon and Cally is pretty much non existent unless you count "she hits on him while mind controlled" and "he demands her to be thrown off the ship". It doesn't really fit with the timeline or much with Avon as a character imo, and I find it disgustingly sacchariny

Anniew
Rainez Tanith wrote two plays for the BBC but only one was accepted and produced. She did write a story based on Romeo and Juliet ( Sung in Shadow) with a character based on Paul Darrow's acting as she did Parl Dro in Kill the Dead (I suspect Mercutio but I haven't read it).

Sooper Moose...I think without this episode and the implied closeness between Avon and Cally ( not necessarily romance but a measure of understanding) then Terminal and her death loses some of its impact and Avon's behaviour in Season 4 loses a bit of its motivation. Also at a metaphorical level, personifying Avon as Death is a valuable bit of foreshadowing. The episode also highlights ( symbolically) the characteristics of the characters - their strengths and weaknesses- and explains why they all stay together and why they need Avon. It's a great Cally episode too showing her loyalty to her companions - something Avon would appreciate and miss after her death...perhaps even blame himself for.

sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

Rainez Tanith wrote two plays for the BBC but only one was accepted and produced. She did write a story based on Romeo and Juliet ( Sung in Shadow) with a character based on Paul Darrow's acting as she did Parl Dro in Kill the Dead (I suspect Mercutio but I haven't read it).

Sooper Moose...I think without this episode and the implied closeness between Avon and Cally ( not necessarily romance but a measure of understanding) then Terminal and her death loses some of its impact and Avon's behaviour in Season 4 loses a bit of its motivation. Also at a metaphorical level, personifying Avon as Death is a valuable bit of foreshadowing. The episode also highlights ( symbolically) the characteristics of the characters - their strengths and weaknesses- and explains why they all stay together and why they need Avon. It's a great Cally episode too showing her loyalty to her companions - something Avon would appreciate and miss after her death...perhaps even blame himself for.

I am not a moose!!

I have never regarded Cally as being that important, therefore i don't actually think she had such a great impact on Avon's descent in S4. He had lost the Liberator, the memory of Anna and was told Blake was dead- that's enough to push anyone over the edge. Inventing a "relationship" out of thin air to add more is just in bad taste imho.
Cally has nothing to do with Terminal.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Cally was the one person who could really get through to Avon. I think her absence is one reason the stress gets to him so much in the final season. There's no-one he can talk to, in the same way he could talk to Cally.

I think she's also the reason he develops such enmity for Servalan in the final season. Cally died, after a boody trap set by Servalan went off. I think Avon blames Servalan for her death.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Cally was the one person who could really get through to Avon. I think her absence is one reason the stress gets to him so much in the final season. There's no-one he can talk to, in the same way he could talk to Cally.

I think she's also the reason he develops such enmity for Servalan in the final season. Cally died, after a boody trap set by Servalan went off. I think Avon blames Servalan for her death.

but thing is, I don't think she does.
On the contrary, most of their interraction is very deeply at odds, and to me she comes across as both selfish and unsympathetic, and imho her reaction to his attempt to be there for her in the beginning of Sarcophagus is one of ungratefulness ( she pushes Avon away), which is why I dislike Sarcophagus. The fact that was put right after ROD is why it's so distasteful.
We saw Avon who just got very hurt try to console Cally for the loss of her planet, but we never see her returning the favour.
She also fails to sympathize with him in regards to Anna in ROD, especially after she got them to go off course to save her clone Zelda- basically she takes but doesn't give.

I'd say in their friendship of sorts, Avon gives a lot more than Cally does. Like everyone else, Cally is yet another person who takes from Avon without returning much.

Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:
Also at a metaphorical level, personifying Avon as Death is a valuable bit of foreshadowing.

I like that idea. It would be interesting to edit a little video together with the sarcophagus Avon pouring out the sand to S4 Blake.

Anniew
The fact that was put right after ROD is why it's so distasteful.
. Isn't the point that here we have two characters who are both grieving, one for the loss of her people and home planet and the other for the woman who constituted his whole world. Both are too deeply hurt to accept much comfort and both know each other well enough to know how much comfort the other can accept. Cally doesn't push Avon away...she affectionately acknowledges his grim humour ' demonstrably' in an ' Oh you' gesture and then does as he does and gets on with the task of surviving. The Sargophagus incident shows them both that they could have something between them but Avon probably rejects this. Just maybe he acknowledges the possibility with that look but knows he has to finish with Blake before he can take her up on the offer.

And there is an awful irony in the episode because Avon causes the deaths of both the alien Cally and the real one on Terminal...he is literally the death of both.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:
And there is an awful irony in the episode because Avon causes the deaths of both the alien Cally and the real one on Terminal...he is literally the death of both.

There's a horrible irony there, isn't there?

The portrayal of Avon as Death in Sarcophagus is spot on. He eventually kills just about everyone and everything around him.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

There's a horrible irony there, isn't there?

The portrayal of Avon as Death in Sarcophagus is spot on. He eventually kills just about everyone and everything around him.

it's not Avon who recruits a federation officer and arms her. That's entirely Blake's idiocy

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
9,130,573 unique visits since 8th January 2014