Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Different points of view
sooper mouse
So... let's for a second ignore the main storyline of Blake's 7 and look at it from the point of view of characters who aren't Avon or Blake.

Example:

S3 and S4: A young man's coming of age- from brash and irresponsible to hero.

Del Tarrant is an alpha space officer. At his young age he has achieved everything he ever wanted, thanks to his own intelligence and the position of his family.
But how much of this did he earn?
He's about to find out when he leaves his post as a Space Captain and falls in with a bad crowd... or are they?

In a world in which your grade and family and order don't mean much, what is the value of Del Tarrant?

Aboard the best ship in the galaxy, in the dubious company of outlaws, what will remain of his deeply held beliefs?

Watch him grow up from snotty and unbearable brat to hero. Watch him learning to sacrifice his life for his friends and principles and earn the respect of the only older man he ever got close to that wasn't inclined to regard him kindly.

Del Tarrant- from unsufferable alpha brat to noble hero.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Anniew
That is a different POV.

Personally I think Tarrant has been conditioned to get the crew and Blake killed.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

JustBrad
We've no evidence that Tarrant was an Alpha, but if he was training to be a Federation ship captain, the odds are high that he was. Then again, given the Orwellian nature of B7, I suspect that even among Alpha's there are 'proper' families and 'lesser' families, and that Del was one of the latter.

The two are not mutually exclusive, many a noble, many a great military leader was insufferable, Churchill even referred to Montgomery in that way. Tarrant may have been a Federation Alpha brat, but it seems he opposed The Federation from early on. I'll give him character points for that.

Why did he desert? Did he get in too much trouble? Was it for personal gain? Was it to make a stand against injustice? I suspect it was all of the above.

sooper mouse
JustBrad wrote:

We've no evidence that Tarrant was an Alpha, but if he was training to be a Federation ship captain, the odds are high that he was. Then again, given the Orwellian nature of B7, I suspect that even among Alpha's there are 'proper' families and 'lesser' families, and that Del was one of the latter.

The two are not mutually exclusive, many a noble, many a great military leader was insufferable, Churchill even referred to Montgomery in that way. Tarrant may have been a Federation Alpha brat, but it seems he opposed The Federation from early on. I'll give him character points for that.

Why did he desert? Did he get in too much trouble? Was it for personal gain? Was it to make a stand against injustice? I suspect it was all of the above.

oh probably. Actually most great leaders are insufferable- the nice and selfless ones have this thing where they die early.

That being said, it can be argued that Tarrant, who is nothing if not intelligent, realised early on the Federation wasn't all that's cracked up to be, and chose to revolt and seek his own fortunes in a way that aligned better with his lawful good nature.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

dissentliveson
I got the impression Tarrant went renegade because due to his large ego he felt like he wasn't being promoted fast enough or something. He didn't strike me as uncomfortable with being violent since he threatened Vila and killed others a lot, and he wasn't as political as Blake. I assumed basically he felt he wasn't promoted to Space Captain fast enough and stole his pursuit ship.

Anniew
I thought maybe it was a moment of cowardice that caused him to abandon ship during an engagement and he cultivated this heroic Macho bulling personality to compensate. Taking Scorpio down alone in Blake was a big thing for Tarrant - a kind of proof he wasn't a coward at heart. Maybe
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

I thought maybe it was a moment of cowardice that caused him to abandon ship during an engagement and he cultivated this heroic Macho bulling personality to compensate. Taking Scorpio down alone in Blake was a big thing for Tarrant - a kind of proof he wasn't a coward at heart. Maybe

I think he was a brashkid who got thrown into the grownups world.
Coward? no, we're told his shop was almost destroyed in Powerplay. So maybe he grew up an alpha, and was used to get what he wanted... and then realised the Federation wasn't what he thought.

It was great to see how Tarrant evolved from Powerplay to Deathwatch- not only that he understands and accepts Avon's authority but they end up working together as a team. Tarrant seriously develops as a person, and it's nice.
Although it's quite clear Tarrant isn't the brightest, his heart is in the right spot.
Edited by sooper mouse on 13 January 2017 11:24:00

JustBrad
Anniew wrote:

It was also the only thing he could do. As he said, if he left the controls, the ship would nose dive. It wasn't just being a hero, staying at the controls so Avon could live. At that point, a crash landing was also Tarrant's best chance for survival.

sooper mouse
JustBrad wrote:

Anniew wrote:

It was also the only thing he could do. As he said, if he left the controls, the ship would nose dive. It wasn't just being a hero, staying at the controls so Avon could live. At that point, a crash landing was also Tarrant's best chance for survival.

well Tarrant is many things, but he tends to be a bit of a showoff Pfft

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.34 seconds
9,089,556 unique visits since 8th January 2014