Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rogue One
Rainesz
Sorry if this subject for a thread has been brought up already (and I missed it!), but I assume a lot of us have gone to see Rogue One. I absolutely loved it and last night on Facebook I was a participant in long geeky discussions about its similarities to Blake's 7, among other things. (For one, we all agreed that K-2SO was the Avon of the crew, if Avon had been a snarky robot with a gun.)

What are everyone's thoughts and did you like the film? As I said, I loved it and would like to hear others' opinions. Smile

JustBrad
Good idea for a thread, but lets try to keep it spoiler free.

We loved it. And I am glad they ended it the way they did, anything else would not have fit with the tone of the film, and would have hurt the film's artistic integrity.

We are very geeked out that this makes TWO great Star Wars films in a row, something that hasn't happened since 1980.

mrsbookmark
ROGUE ONE!!!!!!!

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

Joe Dredd
Final score, "Blake's" 7, "Rogue" 1.

JustBrad
Joe Dredd wrote:

Final score, "Blake's" 7, "Rogue" 1.

And Del 10

President Solvite
Act Two

Gesundheit!

No seriously, Rogue One was nicely done, with a perfect mix of live action with CGI enhancement. Gritty plot and superb ending leading into the original film.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
RichardMk2
I enjoyed Rogue One. I saw it over the holiday week. Whilst you know how it must end, it keeps you on edge how it gets there. On another forum a friend described it as "a Star Wars film for B7 fans". Hmm

JustBrad
RichardMk2 wrote:
"a Star Wars film for B7 fans". Hmm

I have also heard it described as A Star Wars film for adults.

Rainesz
We were discussing on FB how the Rebellion is shown in shades of gray. There's no doubt some of Rogue One's crew did terrible things in their past, which is a lot different from the black and white morality of the first Star Wars films.

And I'm so glad they based a film on why the Death Star had that ridiculous design flaw. Wink.

It was about more ordinary people this time, not Jedi knights or royalty. The "little guy" setting up the stage for the rebellion's victory. Nobody used the Force despite it almost being an invisible character in its own right. (Thanks to Chirrut) And I LOVED Chirrut and Baze! I already knew Donnie Yen from my being a big kung fu/ Hong Kong movie fan. Not only is he a brilliant actor but he's an amazing fight choreographer.

It also actually felt like a war film at the same time. Each of the crew was given their moment and this made the ending that much more heart-wrenching.
Edited by Rainesz on 10 January 2017 07:07:15

President Solvite
FWIW I don't think the design flaw is THAT ridiculous, many grand projects in the past worked (in the most part ) but were still had flaws, from cars, aircraft, ships, buildings in fact almost any and every thing that has been invented ..

(Just to name a few , without wanting to get into the politics of it, The F35 jet, The new US Carriers, The Walkie-talkie building in London, through to cars with leaky door seals or in the case of the Vauxhall Safira catching fire!!)

Given time they all get fixed of course, and as the Death Star was first of its kind a proto-type in a way, I would be amazed if there weren't more flaws in the design. The thermal exhaust port flaw therefore is very realistic in my view. Even with that problem, the Death Star could still deploy its local defenses and its TIE Squadrons.

Star Wars is a mish-mash of Flash Gordon comic strip and a war film. Indeed GL used old war film footage to inspire the whole Death Star attack scene in the original film.

It was a case of back to basics, Star Wars was very much aimed at an younger audience (in the spirit of the old Saturday morning pictures) but of course the original audience has 'grown up' and with exposure to various expanded universe sources desire a bit more grit and bite in that genre.

I felt it was very Dirty Dozen and was expecting the ending I was given. (ref WWII Dieppe, St Nazaire Raids etc. ) It also puts some meaning to what Mon Mothma says in RoJ about the price they paid in terms of Bothans for data on the Death Star Mk.2

Travis8845
Great film, the middle bit dragged slightly but the climax and resolution were the best Star Wars I have seen. Was not keen on The Force Awakens and it was great to see knew characters. But does every Star Wars film have to have a Death Star?

JustBrad
President Solvite wrote:

FWIW I don't think the design flaw is THAT ridiculous,

Geek hat on.

Quite right. It's a Thermal Exhaust Port. If it's particle shielded, it's purpose is defeated. Hot gas can't go through a particle shield. It would be like sticking a potato in your exhaust pipe.

Geek hat off.

President Solvite
I thought it was ray shielded not particle? At least that's the analysis from Ep. IV. Proton Torpedoes are able to penetrate said shield.. Looks like they are of a plasma construction, hmm my physics gets shakey here as I don't think plasma is technically a gas.

I don't know if that premise changes in R1 but I would take the description from episode IV as they have actually analysed the data. Small beer though compared with our minefield and *cough* war. Grin

Rainesz
President Solvite and JustBrad: I bow to your science (and geekiness). Grin

... And can we just say how Vader was actually terrifying again? He was filmed in horror-movie style and that made all the difference.

President Solvite
Indeed, it scared a 40 something little boy here... Grin

JustBrad
President Solvite wrote:

I thought it was ray shielded not particle?

Quite right. That's why they use torpedoes rather than blasters.
Exhaust is particles, therefore it cannot work if it's particle shielded, therefore ray shielded only.

President Solvite
JustBrad wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

I thought it was ray shielded not particle?

Quite right. That's why they use torpedoes rather than blasters.
Exhaust is particles, therefore it cannot work if it's particle shielded, therefore ray shielded only.

Gotcha, maybe they have an Indian restaurant aboard, need some way of venting the fumes.... Shock

clanger68
Adored Rogue One, seen it twice, looking forward to seeing it again.

I was so luke warm to the idea when I first heard about it, but was looking forward to seeing it.

Came out of the midnight showing with a huge smile on my face.

It actually was more enjoyable the second time around, all expectations were then in check and I could just sit back and enjoy the movie.

I really enjoyed the pacing, the acting, the storyline, pretty much everything.

- Andy
aquitar.blakes-7.co.uk/Animation/Scorpio_100.gif

Vila - "I plan to live forever - or die trying"

http://www.exewing.co.uk
JustBrad
clanger68 wrote:

I was so luke warm to the idea when I first heard about it, but was looking forward to seeing it.

- Andy

If you'd told me that one of my favorite Sci Fi films of all time would be a Star Wars movie that Does Not Have Jedi in it, I would have called you crazy. I may call you crazy anyway, but not for this. It will go down as one of the best films in the franchise, and show what George Lucas could have done if he'd concentrated on telling his story and not on selling action figures.

trevor travis
Finally saw Rogue One last night - enjoyed it a lot.

As I was watching it, I twigged onto the fact that this was a very direct prequel to the original Star Wars, and none of these characters are in that film, therefore they were likely to come out of it dead!
Edited by trevor travis on 18 January 2017 12:26:31

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,840,078 unique visits since 8th January 2014