Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Jan 2017 Fanfic Challenge
BradPaula
Rainesz wrote:

Ooh, @BradPaula, that was superb! Excellent. And you used the sound prompt well too .

Why, thank you! I happened to sneak in the epiphany prompt at the end and was quite proud of my humble self. lol

Ellen York
Cally had always believed that humans had no telepathic ability, but living in close quarters with them made her question that assumption. She never received any proper thoughts, but there was a constant background hum at the edge of her mind. She couldn't decide if it was comforting or only made her more homesick. Then came the day when death rained from the sky and she learned what silence truly was.

Anniew
Ohh Ellen...you really are the master of the poignant vignette!! ( or mistress)
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

winnie-l
Kudos, Ellen, a very apt vignette for Cally!

BradPaula
Oh, Ellen- excellently put!

JustBrad
Ellen... How to nail the prompt with one paragraph.

Well done.

Travisina
Lovely, Ellen - well done!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Rainesz
Ellen: Succinct! (my vocabulary word for the day).
Excellent. Grin Applause for getting the sound prompt in as well!
(I bow to your succinctness.)

Lurena
I have been away for far too long I notice. I need to catch up with this thread.
Apologies...
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Travisina
Epiphany in an Ancient Church

The new President turned his face to the sky, glad to be back outdoors. The last engagement on his inaugural tour was a visit to Central Control, and he was relieved that it was over.

Corridor after endless corridor had led deeper and deeper underground, arriving at a vast chamber lined with banks of computers. Screens displayed streams of information: climate control, food production, security, traffic... the President had tried to grasp the amount of data pouring in from worlds across the galaxy. This was the heart, the brain and nervous system of the entire Federation.

Teams of white-clad men and women moved quietly on soft-soled shoes between the rows of computers, their murmurs a counterpoint to the whirring, chatter and hum of the machines. The President exchanged pleasantries with managers and head technicians, shook hands with engineers and nodded to maintenance staff. He noted the names of those who should receive special mention in his report, those who were due for promotion, reward or retirement. They spent their lives serving the Federation; their dedication was impressive.

But the recycled air, artificial light and constant noise had made his head ache and he was glad now to be back on Earth's surface. "I'm going for a walk," he told his Secretary, who grumbled about security, but fell in beside him.

The President left the deactivated Forbidden Zone and followed a twisting path into nearby woodland. "Talking of security," he said, "what do you think of the protection for Central Control?"

The Secretary glanced behind at the Forbidden Zone. "It seems adequate."

"It needs to be more than 'adequate'... hello, what's this?"

The path ended in front of a derelict building. Centuries old, constructed of stone and wood, overgrown with climbing plants, yet still solid. The President recognised its shape from history books, and marvelled at the skill of its primitive builders. He put his shoulder to the heavy door and stepped inside.

Dim green forest light filtered through narrow windows and holes in the vaulted roof. Rodents skittered beneath decaying rows of wooden benches, birds fluttered on stone ledges.

"What was this place?" asked the Secretary.

"A church. People would gather here to worship their gods."

"They kept their gods in here?"

The President smiled. "The gods were invisible; everywhere and nowhere. But people liked to think that this was god's house."

"It's just an empty hall."

"Indeed." Yet from this empty hall, thought the President, priests and leaders exercised iron control over the local population. The gods themselves remained distant and unassailable... He laughed aloud. "That's it!"

"Sir?"

"I know what to do. Please arrange a meeting with the Councillors and heads of security - as soon as possible."

His first act as President would be to relocate Central Control far from Earth, maintaining the pretence it was here. Distance would keep Control safe, while the Federation ruled the galaxy from an empty hall.

Edited by Travisina on 21 January 2017 09:23:14

Anniew
Two stories to comment on..Both really good reads.. Paula's lovely one about Blake's epiphany that leads him to seek the way back and Travisina's wonderful glimpse into the workings of the Federation and how the decision to move Control to Star One came about.

Such an effective use of the sound prompt Paula .

Travisina I loved the use of the old church and the characterisation of the President whom I felt I had actually seen on telly! Did you have the Big Finish President in mind? This one seemed as urbane but sinister in the same vein. The last line is particularly well crafted - chilling.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

JustBrad
Well done, Travisina. Well done, indeed.

Lorna
Yes good story Travisina!

Travisina
Thank you! Smile

I sort of had President Hugh Fraser in mind, but didn't want to commit to the BF timeline, as Central Control was moved 30 years before 'Pressure Point'. But it was definitely his voice that I had in my head when writing the dialogue!

Rainesz
Well-done, Travisina! Grin And nice, vivid alternating descriptions of the technology of the underground epicenter compared with the natural, ancient setting of the church.

I also like the mention of the birds and mice. You don't get to see animals much in Blake's 7. Unless it's Blake roasting one on a spit on Gauda Prime. Wink

littlesue
Rainesz wrote:

Well-done, Travisina! Grin And nice, vivid alternating descriptions of the technology of the underground epicenter compared with the natural, ancient setting of the church.

I also like the mention of the birds and mice. You don't get to see animals much in Blake's 7. Unless it's Blake roasting one on a spit on Gauda Prime. Wink

You may not get to see much wildlife in B7, but you can darn well hear them!
That flaming bird in Weapon must have driven the sound recordist to distraction with all that twittering. Percy Edwards would have known what it was making that racket! Are there any bird watchers here?
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
littlesue wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

Are there any bird watchers here?

There used to be - I believe Neil Faulkner was a keen 'twitcher', and I think it was he who supplied the bird information for the Sevencyclopedia (Joe Dredd will correct me if I'm wrong!) -

"Birds are seen in five episodes, but intentionally in just three. In Bounty a stuffed thrush was one of the items in Sarkoff's collection. In Gambit Servalan and Jarriere hold a white dove. Another white dove is seen in Sarcophagus, when the alien gave Tarrant a vision of herself surrounded by her servants. Accidental inclusion of gulls appeared in Countdown, where one can be seen flying across the polar icecap of Albian, and in Aftermath where one was seen walking on the beach during a shot of the sunset.

Various species can be heard in the background in a number of episodes. A Tawny Owl hoots as Blake follows Richie and Ravella to the meeting with Bran Foster in The Way Back. A Robin can be heard in Time Squad, and Song Thrushes sing in the forest in Duel. In Weapon, a Blackbird sings as Coser and Rashel explore the planet they have landed on, and a species of chat can be heard as Blake searches for Coser. In Pressure Point Coal Tits, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow and Rook all call, but this is on Earth where such species are allowed to be. Rooks can be heard cawing on Exbar, and again on Sardos. Common Terns call in the background on Sarran in Aftermath. Another Robin sings on Terminal as Cally and Tarrant try to track Avon. House Sparrows are chirping as Sula kills Chesku in Rumours of Death. Skylarks sing on Helotrix and Caspar. Black-headed Gulls call briefly in Traitor just before Avandir blasts the adapted Helots' communicator. A Song Thrush can be heard on Bucol-2. A Great Tit calls on Xenon in Headhunter. A Linnet can be briefly heard in Games, and Sand Martins on Beta 5 in Gold.

The only birdsong to appear deliberately was in Orac, where Ensor had a recording of a Northern Cardinal (a North American species) singing in his underground retreat."

BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

Thank you! Smile

I sort of had President Hugh Fraser in mind, but didn't want to commit to the BF timeline, as Central Control was moved 30 years before 'Pressure Point'. But it was definitely his voice that I had in my head when writing the dialogue!

Enjoyed your story immensely, Travisina. Funny, I was thinking of Hugh Fraser reading it!

littlesue
So, not only can I now describe B7 as costume drama set in the future, but also a nature programme, what with birds and all that flora and fauna. Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

winnie-l
Rainesz wrote:You don't get to see animals much in Blake's 7.
The Chairman of the TerraNostra (in episode 15.Shadow) had a pet that was shown on screen. Don't now how real/not it was (or even looked) - I couldn't watch that part! =:o

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,849,188 unique visits since 8th January 2014