Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Jan 2017 Fanfic Challenge
Anniew
Sooper Mouse I loved your description of Avon's reaction to the hug!!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

JustBrad
“You there. Get dressed.”

Shaking the fog from his mind, Avon looked around as if unsure how he came to be where he was. Awareness came in a flood. Anna was dead, he'd been captured, tried, convicted, and rushed to a holding cell all his own. There were clothes on the bunk. Avon dressed and followed the guard to the transport ship, limping slightly. There was something in his boot.

Sitting at a table away from the other prisoners, he pulled a piece of paper from his boot. Frowning, he read, took a graphite writing stick, added a line, and tucked the note back in his boot.

Avon carried Orac in one hand through the dense woods. “Orac, is there any chance Scorpio's teleport is still functional?”

+The unit called Slave has shut down. What is left of Scorpio has minimal power only. One may assume that the teleport bay remains intact, but there is likely insufficient power to operate the teleport beam effectively.+

Avon's mind was racing. “But you could boost the signal with your carrier wave, couldn't you?”

+I should advise against such a desperate measure unless faced with certain death. My carrier beam travels through multiple dimensions, effectively bisecting the time space continuum, with unforeseeable consequences. You should be more concerned with avoiding capture. I am picking up communications between scout ships closing in on a small shack some two kilometers distant.+

Avon stood over Blake's body. The troopers moved in. Avon raised his gun, the troopers leveled their blasters. With a grim smile, Avon hit the com link on his teleport bracelet. “Do it, Orac.”

Teleportation had always been slightly disorienting, a brief flutter in the gut, as if falling an inch unexpectedly, only this time, it did not stop. Avon fell, and fell, and fell, through space, and hyperspace, and more. His mind fogged over, his consciousness flooded with the whispers of eternity and the wind of the universe, his mind overwhelmed until he could no longer recall what had happened to him, where he had been or why he was falling, the past forgotten as if it had never happened, save for a few urgent whispers.

“You there. Get dressed.”

Shaking the fog from his mind, Avon looked around as if unsure how he came to be where he was. Awareness came in a flood. Anna was dead, he'd been captured, tried, convicted, and rushed to a holding cell all his own. There were clothes on the bunk. Avon dressed and followed the guard to the transport ship, limping slightly. There was something in his boot.

Sitting at a table away from the other prisoners, he pulled a piece of paper from his boot. Frowning, he read.

73 Kilos
We've been sold, all of us.
Tarrant doesn't understand.
I'm a Federation Officer

Taking a graphite writing stick, trying to focus through the fog in his head, he added a line: I set all of this up.

Rainesz
@Anniew: It's amazing the acts of bravery Vila is capable of when properly motivated. And also that Avon would so gleefully go along with it because of the quality of the vintage.
Avon running! (ha ha!)
Also: "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes..."

@Sooper Mouse
: I love the mysterious opening. It reminds me a tiny bit of the "Buffy" episode "Hush" (because everyone loses the power to speak and they're forced to communicate in gestures and writing.)
Soolin's numbered guns and the duct tape on Vila's mouth! Grin
Blake calling Avon "Av'n." Nice touch.
And of course, Avon's feline tendencies.

@Brad
: That is so very clever! Avon caught in a time loop and trying to work it out, one epiphany at a time, from first to last episode with that mysterious piece of paper.
Excellent. Grin
Also, a beautiful description of how teleportation might feel, combined with time travel.

Anniew
By gum that's a clever take on the prompt Brad. Blakes 7 meets GroundHog day. A lovely explanation of that piece of paper. I wonder if he can alert himself enough to finally trust Blake? It would be a great way to kick off a continuation of the series too.

sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

By gum that's a clever take on the prompt Brad. Blakes 7 meets GroundHog day. A lovely explanation of that piece of paper. I wonder if he can alert himself enough to finally trust Blake? It would be a great way to kick off a continuation of the series too.

oh yes, loop through it until he gets it right.
really well done Brad
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

trevor travis
SCHOOLGIRL ERROR

There is a legend among my people.

It concerns a great warrior from the skies. She conquered many worlds, but was kind in her rule, and the gods decided that she should have eternal life after her natural passing.

Her power was placed into a ring. She shown the people she would meet in her new life – the telepath, the magician, the musician and the fool.

However, she displeased the gods and they decreed that she should also meet Death.

Forewarned of the danger that she faced, she was ready. She possessed the telepath and appealed to Death through his attraction for the telepath. But Death was clever. He tricked her, by seducing her, and stole her ring. Parted from her power, she was condemned to a perpetual state of hell.

From this great legend, my people derived a saying: anyone who angers the gods by leaving up their decorations beyond the twelfth night is a complete smeg-head.

i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p775/robpeas/sarcophagus12_zpsad6twhna.png
Edited by trevor travis on 04 January 2017 22:21:24

sooper mouse
tt, FAMILY BOARD!!
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Travisina
sooper mouse wrote:

tt, FAMILY BOARD!!

The term TT used is a Red Dwarf-ism that is acceptable on this forum.

While I'm here, I just wanted to say how fantastic the stories are - and we're less than a week into January!

@Anniew - wonderful use of the sound prompt, a tense story with an amusing twist in the tail (pun intended).

@Sooper Mouse - very amusing, neatly observed character moments. (I too liked the way Blake said "Av'n" )

@Brad - brilliant! I love Ouroboros-type stories, and yours is terrific.

@ TT - that was great, and your punchline nearly caused a tea/keyboard interface incident!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

sooper mouse
Travisina wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

tt, FAMILY BOARD!!

The term TT used is a Red Dwarf-ism that is acceptable on this forum.

While I'm here, I just wanted to say how fantastic the stories are - and we're less than a week into January!

@Anniew - wonderful use of the sound prompt, a tense story with an amusing twist in the tail (pun intended).

@Sooper Mouse - very amusing, neatly observed character moments. (I too liked the way Blake said "Av'n" )

@Brad - brilliant! I love Ouroboros-type stories, and yours is terrific.

@ TT - that was great, and your punchline nearly caused a tea/keyboard interface incident!

Q1well then all'sorts good.

Anniew
TT loved your take on the Epiphany prompt. Here's mine:

He had lied, he knew that now. He wasn't proud of it but it had been justified. Humanity could not be allowed to perish and the lie had been necessary to prevent Avon from running. Oh he hadn't realised at the time what he was doing: that much he could forgive himself. Drained, in pain, the smells of blood and alien guts over-laid with the familiar smells of the ship, the solution had rolled itself out without conscious prompting and he had said what he knew would win him over- at least for the moment. And there lay the problem. After the adrenaline of fighting had reduced to normal levels, Avon would reflect on his words and recognise the lie and the reason for it. He would know that Blake had never trusted him- would have been mad to trust him. Know that the words had come from the brain, not the heart, intended to manipulate him into doing what Blake thought necessary. And Avon would not forgive that betrayal.

Blake knew he could never return to Liberator. He had made contact with a rebel group on Jeveron and destroyed his teleport bracelet.

"Avon...I was waiting for you.."

He knew the sincerity of that tone; knew he had to distrust it. Knew that the man lumbering towards him cared only for his cause not for him. Yet he delayed his shot. Only when he looked at the wrist and realised that Blake wore no bracelet was he forced to accept the truth. Blake had not been waiting to be rescued..had never intended to face the companions he'd lied to and used. He had indeed set all this up.

"Yes..."

littlesue
Having now dried off my keyboard after spilling my hot chocolate all over it...TT; it's your fault!I can add my comments to the great stories so far.
Anniew....tissues wet through and , yes, I too thought about those poor little things being chased by those nasty snakes. I've now stopped watching those programmes, it upsets me too much. Animal Magic was never like that!!!
Brad...going round and round again. I read somewhere that Time Tunnel did the same thing. Once the last episode went out, Doug and Tony were transported back to the Titanic and the whole series played again!!
SM..I've now got images of Vila with duct tape over his mouth!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

TT loved your take on the Epiphany prompt. Here's mine:

He had lied, he knew that now. He wasn't proud of it but it had been justified. Humanity could not be allowed to perish and the lie had been necessary to prevent Avon from running. Oh he hadn't realised at the time what he was doing: that much he could forgive himself. Drained, in pain, the smells of blood and alien guts over-laid with the familiar smells of the ship, the solution had rolled itself out without conscious prompting and he had said what he knew would win him over- at least for the moment. And there lay the problem. After the adrenaline of fighting had reduced to normal levels, Avon would reflect on his words and recognise the lie and the reason for it. He would know that Blake had never trusted him- would have been mad to trust him. Know that the words had come from the brain, not the heart, intended to manipulate him into doing what Blake thought necessary. And Avon would not forgive that betrayal.

Blake knew he could never return to Liberator. He had made contact with a rebel group on Jeveron and destroyed his teleport bracelet.

"Avon...I was waiting for you.."

He knew the sincerity of that tone; knew he had to distrust it. Knew that the man lumbering towards him cared only for his cause not for him. Yet he delayed his shot. Only when he looked at the wrist and realised that Blake wore no bracelet was he forced to accept the truth. Blake had not been waiting to be rescued..had never intended to face the companions he'd lied to and used. He had indeed set all this up.

"Yes..."

you got me crying on my keyboard

BradPaula
Excellent story, TT. LOVED it!

Rainesz
Epiphanies

"And the rest?"

"They have the same chance I have."

"You don't really believe that."

This man named Avon had seemed merely bored and haughty until Blake saw the cold, ruthless look that his eyes took on at that moment. There was a brief dizzying moment when the scene in front of him seemed to change--

... and he heard distorted and echoing whispers accompanying the clarion sound of a death knell. There was a pulsating red light and a creature in black armor manifested before him, accusing him with anguished eyes which might have glinted with madness. Then this was replaced by a cruel, rictus grin as the demonic apparition lifted a sword. All the while there was that insane whispering...

The moment passed and Blake shook off a chill. Still reeling from the sudden and weird vision, he returned the challenging stare of the gray-clad figure before him.

Avon was only wielding an innocuous-looking computer tool.

"With a ship like this and a full crew, then we can start fighting back."

The man named Blake wore an impassioned, hungry gaze as he surveyed their magnificent new acquisition. They had survived the alien ship's deadly security hallucinations. However, as Avon looked back at Blake, he began to hear voices coming from nowhere, mangled and incoherent. He blinked and saw--

...that an arena of people had materialized around him and staring eyes awaited his next move. Figures had crept forward to watch a macabre performance: himself in a pit, facing down a grizzled lion with a scarred face that was intent on devouring him. The crowd continued its bloodthirsty chant as a pulsing red light blinded him...

He blinked again and frowned.

More tricks from the alien security system?

He turned back to Blake. While the man looked eager to go off on his mad new crusade, he mostly just looked exhausted.

I will have my chance, the demon with its raised sword hissed at Blake.

There's no hurry, snarled the lion to Avon as it circled him, flexing its claws.
Edited by Rainesz on 07 January 2017 04:17:30

Travisina
Wow, Rainesz, that's outstanding!

Anniew
Would LOVE some art work based on this Rainesz! Yep our obsessions get us in the end!!

Rainesz
@Travisina, @Anniew: Thank you! This was my way of trying to get the creepy sound prompt in too.

I actually went back to watch "Space Fall" to find two moments when Blake and Avon looked with stunned disbelief at the other, and that's where this crazy idea came from. (It was late, I was bored...) Wink

(adds to list of pictures I need to draw...)

Travisina
Rainesz wrote:
This was my way of trying to get the creepy sound prompt in too.

Very well done!
I spent last year trying to combine both prompts each month into one ficlet - not all of them were successful, so have decided to revert to one at a time again. Hope to get 'Ephiphany' done this weekend, but also have a lot of RL work to do by Monday!

(adds to list of pictures I need to draw...)

Yes, please!

BradPaula
Whispers of Rebellion

There! There was that noise again. But what was it? A noise like a million souls desperately whispering together. What were they speaking? He zoned in on the strange sounds and tried to understand what they were saying. Avenge us? Was that it? Do not let us die in vain! Help us! The plea was repeated over and over until he thought he'd scream because of it. He wanted to shout out- be quiet- I hear you- be quiet- but his voice was lost in the eerie whispers. I hear you. I hear you I hear...

Blake woke up with a start. He was sweating profusely. Bright lights met him as he opened his eyes and realized he was in his bunk on the prison ship London. He sat up and wiped the sweat from his brow, drying his hand on the knee of his trousers. It had been that dream again. Like a planet full of disembodied voices calling out to him, whispering to him alone. But why?

As he fully woke, he realized he was hearing the noise again, but this time while conscious. He looked around his surroundings- he was on his bunk, the top one in the corner near the wall with all the pipes racing floor to ceiling. The sound seemed to be coming from there. A few loud knocks and sputters later and he figured out it must have been the antiquated steam heating system which kept the prisoner quarters warm. It had been a clapped out old ship, that was easy to see, and perhaps the steam had found a small crack where it would escape and make that audible sound.

Of course, that was the logical way to think if it. Blake had felt he had heard actual voices and their pleas for help. Did it really matter if he had been dreaming? In the last few weeks his memories had been coming back, sometimes in torrents, sometimes only at a trickle, but coming back nonetheless. He had fought tyranny and oppression before and he felt as if he needed to do it again. But how? Was this an epiphany, or was it serendipity? It mattered not in the scheme of things, he reasoned.

Looking around at his cell mates, he tried to size them up as to their usefulness to his cause. They were a motley group for the most part, but he did see that a few of the prisoners might be of use. That giant of a man with the gentle eyes for one. He could probably convince him. That talkative thief too- although he was annoying- he could be of use. Even that self-contained if not taciturn man in the grey suit who seemed not to belong in this group at all might be of help. But first- that smuggler. Jenna was it? He had been told she was also a pilot and that profession would be a definite plus if they were to commandeer the ship. Commandeer? He was skipping to the end before he had even begun.

Now that he was remembering his past life, he felt more strongly about rabble-rousing here. It might work. They might be able to overtake the guards and get control of the prison ship. Then what? At least it would be a start. He would improvise until then.

With his mind made up, he leaped off the bunk and made his way into the common room. He'd seek out that pilot and see how his powers of persuasion would be. As he walked nearer he thought to himself, the first steps in the way back....

Rainesz
Ooh, @BradPaula, that was superb! Excellent. And you used the sound prompt well too .

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.47 seconds
9,151,879 unique visits since 8th January 2014