Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Jan 2017 Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
On Jan 6th we take down our Christmas decorations. The date has a Christian significance; it is the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles or in the Eastern Church the commemoration of the baptism of Christ.

In common parlance, it is the manifestation of a divine being, the perception of the essential nature or meaning of something, an illuminating discovery, realisation or disclosure, or a revealing scene or moment.

The word prompt is ... EPIPHANY

Plenty of scope there!

And starting this year as I did last year, here's an intriguing sound to stimulate your little grey cells:

https://freesound...unds/9665/

Happy New Year - and Happy Writing!

sooper mouse
speaking of which is there any chance you guys could unstick some of the old threads? it makes this particular forum very hard to read
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

purplecleric
A reminder of the challenge 'rules' -

The prompts can be literal or the inspiration; you can use both or either, together or separately; any written word form is acceptable - a scrap of dialogue, a vignette or scene, a poem or a pun, a filk, parody or crossover, an excerpt or a half-remembered fever dream.

Multiple entries are welcome, no experience is necessary. This is a playground, not a writer's salon, so feel free to experiment.

There's a word limit of 500 words per piece - to encourage participation and to make it easier for Travisina to compile the monthly collections. The deadline is midnight in your time zone on the last day of the month and please remember Horizon's PG13 policy.

This is not a competition; there are no prizes, just kudos for participating and the opportunity to play with our favourite toys.

Travisina
Woo-hoo - fab new challenges, PC! Thank you Smile

sooper mouse wrote:
...is there any chance you guys could unstick some of the old threads? it makes this particular forum very hard to read

Yes, there is some housekeeping needs to be done on this forum. For now, I've unstickied a batch of the 2015 threads and made this thread sticky so it's now at the top. As we're now into our third year of monthly ficlet challenges (yay!) I think it might be an idea to have a dedicated sub-forum for these. Watch this space.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Hugbot
The Third Magus

There were rumours about a man on Gauda Prime who styled himself the saviour from the yoke of the Federation. Three magi went out to seek the truth about this man and to bestow precious gifts upon him in case he should turn out to be who he claimed to be.

The first Magus was an ancient deity, a Deva, clad all in silver. He had his doubts about this man, but he saw that he was sincerly working on what he had promised. Therefore, he stayed with him to aid and guide him. His present was his own wisdom that he tried to use for the good of the man’s course.

The second Magus was a woman, clad all in red leather. Like the Deva she saw the man’s sincerity and joined him for a short time, providing her skills to his course. But she also saw how flawed his plans were. Thus, she eventually left him.

Then the third Magus arrived. He did not see the sincerity of the man but only his flaws, and thus he thought that the man had betrayed him. His colour was black, and his gift was death.

Travisina
Fantastic, Hugbot! Love it, especially 'Deva, clad all in silver' - clever Smile

Guten Jahr!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Mistletoe12
Brilliant, Hugbot!

purplecleric
You're quick off the mark, Hugbot. Bravo! The last paragraph was a kicker.

Lurena
Excellent Hugbot!
And thank you PC for the new challenges!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
sooper mouse
very well written hugbot
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

littlesue
Still have got this awful cold...and I'm off to work today, so I can't really think of anything until the old brain clears..
...but it did occur to me that 39 years ago tonight I got my telly ready, 11 month old daughter down to sleep and then watched this brand new TV series on the Beeb. I'd seen the double page spread in the Radio Rimes but couldn't recall seeing any previews.
Anyway at 6.15 it started...
The words 'I'm coming back' made me determined to watch the following week..
...and then.
Well next week, Jan 9th....................................could that me my epiphany moment?
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
Oh Hugbot..how can we possible follow such an elegant fic?
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Rainesz
Excellent, Hugot! Shock And yes, that last paragraph was chilling.

Anniew
"Run...." Avon's warning came terse and insistent and Vila responded immediately, pushing the metal trolley before him as he scrambled to obey. The wheels shrieked in protest, scraping against the stones rhythmically and shrilly. Behind him, the snakes raised curious heads alerted to the possibility of food; then they poured from their rocky vantage point like oil sliding down the side of a bottle. Twenty of them took up the chase. Ahead he could see Avon making quick work of the rough terrain despite his short-strided running style - slightly reminiscent, Vila found himself musing in one of those "out of body" moments you can get when you're about to shuffle off the mortal coil, of a person fleeing while attempting to keep his trousers from falling down. Another snake alerted by his passing prepared to launch itself at him and he redoubled his efforts.

Horrified, Dayna watched on the monitor and Tarrant and Soolin made for the hangar door, guns ready as more and more snakes spilled from rock crevices, slithered out from underneath boulders, a ghastly grin plastered over their arrow-shaped heads as they joined the chase.

Vila's chest constricted as he tried to drag air into his lungs; his legs were on fire with pain, his ears bursting with the noisy pulses of his blood, yet he clung to the trolley, pushing it ahead of him. He daren't look back. They would be gaining on him. Almost he could feel their fangs scratching at his ankles. A rock beside him splintered, fragments spiralling up and out, cutting into his cheek. He didn't pause to see who was shooting. Blind now he ran on and then Avon was beside him, tugging the trolley and its precious load forward over a small boulder. More shots ricocheted around them as they pushed and pulled it, wheels locking in protest like a stubborn toddler refusing to move, until their determined efforts finally got it up the ramp into the open door way. A snake lunged towards their retreating legs, open mouthed and Soolin blasted it, its headless, figure-of-eight writhing death their last sight before the doors closed.

"They do themselves very well in these off-world research centres, " Avon observed later, an uncharacteristic smile plastered across his face as he watched Vila carefully remove each container from the trolley and stack it in a locker. "Another successful mission. Despite all your doubts and caveats." His gaze swept over his crew with the benign disapproval of a Sultan admonishing his hareem.

" You nearly died, both of you, " Tarrant observed, wishing for a fleeting moment he hadn't been quite so accurate in his aim. "Was it worth it?"

" Oh yes, " Avon and Vila chorused beatifically.

"Twelve bottles of La Romanee Premier Cru, circa 2007 old calendar," Vila elaborated. "Twelve bottles. Twelve. Of the rarest wine in the Universe. Oh yes it was worth it."
Edited by Anniew on 04 January 2017 08:29:22

sooper mouse
everybody was dead quiet when Tarrant walked in.
Dayna seemed to be busy building something, Soolin was cleaning gun number 47 and Vila was conspicuously working his way through a bottle of something or another.
And everything was quiet. Orac wasn’t around, neither was Avon, but everyone else in the room seemed to have caught something that prevented them from speaking.

Which, of course, meant that Tarrant had to say something. So he was just about to open his mouth and start making noise when Dayna turned to him and said “Shhhhhhhhhhhhh”.

Before Tarrant could process that, Vila put up a sign card “Be Quiet”.

Tarrant let his jaw drop as Soolin lifted a sign as well “Shut Up Tarrant”.

So Tarrant went to the nearest table and found a piece of paper and a pen. He scribbled as fast as he could
“What is going on?”

Dayna came next to him and wrote on another piece of paper
“Orac predicted that if we don’t keep quiet for the next 3 hours, we will all die”.

Tarrant breathed, then wrote on the next paper.
“oh ok”.

So they kept very very quiet. Tarrant sat down next to Vila who passed him the bottle. Problem , however, was that Vila was a loud drunk, so Tarrant decided the best thing to do is put a bit of duct tape on Vila’s mouth all the time there wasn’t a bottle in it. Dayna continued her work. Soolin moved on to gun 49.

Nobody knew how long it took, until they heard noises outside. Bangs to be precise on the secret Xenon base door that nobody else knew about.
They all exchanged glances. Tarrant stood up, put a finger to his lips, grabbed a gun and headed for that entrance, followed closely by Dayna and Soolin. Vila was fast asleep and waking him up would’ve achieved absolutely nothing.

The scans showed nothing around except for the man in front of the door and he seemed to have no weapons or anything else. Soolin made a face that expressed clearly what she thought of someone stupid enough to come and bang on their door like that.
Dayna rolled her eyes and raised her eyebrow in a very accurate interpretation of Avon’s mocking expression, then made a cutting sign with her palm to her own next. Translated, this meant “If Avon was here, this guy would already be dead”.

Tarrant decided to open the door and see who was it that made such an awful noise. After all it was just one guy and they were three.

He opened the door. The man looked at them inquisitively.

He was tall, almost as tall as Tarrant, only he didn’t look like a beanstalk with curly hair. More like a barrel, only his curls were a bit greying and unlike Tarrant he could actually grow a beard and had apparently been doing so for a few days.

Tarrant gaped. So did Dayna.
Soolin, who needed a lot more than that to lose her cool, appraised him up and down and said
“You must be Blake”.
Blake smiled, looked around and asked
“So, where’s Avon? He invited me here and can’t be bothered to welcome me?”

Tarrant decided it was probably safe to speak
“He invited you? How??”

Avon’s voice sounded from behind them
“Well now… seems my epiphany was correct”

Dayna turned to him and asked
“What epiphany??”

Avon looked at them with the satisfied look of a cat that got the cream and stepped right to Blake. Blake smiled broadly and tried to hug him.
Avon allowed such a frivolity with the disgusted face of the same cat who just got picked up and didn’t like it. Everybody expected him to hiss and possibly claw Blake’s eyes out.

But he didn’t. He just sat there with the smuggest possible look anyone had ever seen on his face.
Blake turned to him inquisitively and asked
“And what epiphany was that, Av’n?”

“well now…
I realized I’d be able to find a way to get you here... if I could only get this lot to shut up for a bit so I could hear myself think!!"
Edited by sooper mouse on 03 January 2017 15:10:58

Anniew
Great story Sooper mouse. Though of course, now poor Avon's troubles are just beginning!! Really enjoyed it.

sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

Great story Sooper mouse. Though of course, now poor Avon's troubles are just beginning!! Really enjoyed it.

maybe so, but at least he won't be the only babysitter and will be able to do more productive work while the rest go out and do the unpleasant running.
The first issue of productive work being a teleport conduit that he'd implant in Blake's body so the illegitimate child can't get lost ever again due to broken bracelets
Edited by sooper mouse on 03 January 2017 15:44:06

Mistletoe12
@ Annie: I really liked your story, whilst reading it; I couldn't help thinking about a recent Planet Earth II episode. The one with the racer snakes hunting down the baby marine iguanas - talk about suspenseful. But your story was fun - course it was worth it for the wine. Now, had there been a Kettle Baked Crisps run, I'd be there with the boys helping to push the trolley. And Avon's running style always amuses in an affectionate way.

@ SM: Dayna referring to her numerous weapons by number made me laugh - I can definitely see that. Nice story, SM. And I like that Avon took the hug.

I think my epiphany is catching up with all I put on hold during the holiday, and then maybe I'll have time to write this vignette that's gnawing in my head.

Anniew
Mistletoe I listened to the sound and thought of someone pushing metal over rocks...then I watched the repeat of planet Earth and those terrifying racer snakes. The story was written as an act of exorcism!

sooper mouse
Mistletoe12 wrote:

@ Annie: I really liked your story, whilst reading it; I couldn't help thinking about a recent Planet Earth II episode. The one with the racer snakes hunting down the baby marine iguanas - talk about suspenseful. But your story was fun - course it was worth it for the wine. Now, had there been a Kettle Baked Crisps run, I'd be there with the boys helping to push the trolley. And Avon's running style always amuses in an affectionate way.

@ SM: Dayna referring to her numerous weapons by number made me laugh - I can definitely see that. Nice story, SM. And I like that Avon took the hug.

I think my epiphany is catching up with all I put on hold during the holiday, and then maybe I'll have time to write this vignette that's gnawing in my head.

thank you.
Avon can afford to be generous- Blake came to him. He will bite his head off later.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.70 seconds
9,792,000 unique visits since 8th January 2014