Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 2
littlesue, Travisina

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Dayna Mellanby
Spaceresearcher
Innocence sums up Dayna for me. I so hope that Josette Simon makes an audio appearance down the track. Surely it's time to let by-gone's be by-gone's and return to her most famous role.

Spaceresearcher
Interestingly Tanith Lee wrote two verses of Dayna's song, of which Dayna only sings one. It even features on her description in Wikipedia:

I left my world to wander in

this endless midnight sky,
for space is just a starry night
where no suns ever rise.

There are no mornings like my world's,
no shapes, no sounds, no signs.
But I could never count the suns
That my world's lost behind.

Grade Four Ignorant
I usually found Dayna quite irritating. She was arrogant and self-assured about her skills, but terribly naive and inexperienced. She wasn't really a sympathetic person.

Spaceresearcher
Alas I felt there was more to Dayna than what we got to see, but alas due to the final season issue, we'll never really know more about the character. Alas Josette Simon, seems uninterested in returning to the role as far as I'm aware. A shame as it would be a terrific event for a season D Scorpio chronicles from Big Finish. Smile

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

I usually found Dayna quite irritating. She was arrogant and self-assured about her skills, but terribly naive and inexperienced. She wasn't really a sympathetic person.

me too. I found it hard to accept her skills were better than a professionally trained troopersince her previous oppentents were a primitive tribe.
aa
Plus the character reminded me of the Head Girl at my school who was the same kindy of bouncy, bullying teen treated those who she though were below her with contempt...
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Spaceresearcher
You know Grade Four Ignorant and Vanessa Doffenshmirtz, I'd love to hear what the good point or points you found about the Dayna character where? (Come on there must have been something good. Let's face it, Dayna was the star of Animals. Smile Or was it actually Og? Pfft).

trevor travis
I like Dayna.

She had a brash self-confidence, even if she did makes mistakes sometimes.

And you have to love a lady whose capacity for hiding explosives on her person knows no bounds... that scene in "Ultraworld" is so funny. Grin

trevor travis
Spaceresearcher wrote:
Let's face it, Dayna was the star of Animals. Smile Or was it actually Og? Pfft).

Dayna's worst episode is Animals - putting her in Cally's shoes with few other changes to the script was never going to work. It's just not the real Dayna in this episode.

For the real Dayna see Aftermath, Powerplay, Ultraworld, Rescue, Power, or Traitor. All much better examples of what this character is about.

Grade Four Ignorant
trevor travis wrote:
For the real Dayna see Aftermath, Powerplay, Ultraworld, Rescue, Power, or Traitor. All much better examples of what this character is about.

They really should have rewritten Animals for Soolin. Justin could have been somebody she once did a job for and became involved with. It'd have made their romance a little less sinister and would have given Soolin a bit of backstory.

Spaceship Dispatcher
That's a good idea G4I, imo that would have worked rather well Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceresearcher
trevor travis wrote:

I like Dayna.

She had a brash self-confidence, even if she did makes mistakes sometimes.

And you have to love a lady whose capacity for hiding explosives on her person knows no bounds... that scene in "Ultraworld" is so funny. Grin

Terrific another Dayna fan. Personally I never had a problem with Dayna. She was an enthusiastic character. A keen combatant. Agreed Ultraworld is superb.

Spaceresearcher
trevor travis wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Let's face it, Dayna was the star of Animals. Smile Or was it actually Og? Pfft).

Dayna's worst episode is Animals - putting her in Cally's shoes with few other changes to the script was never going to work. It's just not the real Dayna in this episode.

It was purely meant as a tongue in cheek joke. Animals is great for.... the models. Smile

trevor travis
Of course, it should be remembered that Dayna is a mould-breaking character.

Maybe it's slightly less obvious now than it was then, but to cast a talented, young black actress and then portray her as a self-confident, brash character was a bit unusual in 1980.

magnificat
I really like Dayna - she's self-confident and exciting.

My only misgiving is she sometimes puts Vila down, but she's not alone in that unfortunately.
Edited by magnificat on 12 March 2014 19:23:48

GoldChannel
i disagree about the need to rewrite 'Animals' to fit Soolin. It's a good character study for Dayna and fills in some of her background in a believable way.

i wish we saw more of her weapons-developing antics throughout the series though!

Space Chopper
Spaceresearcher wrote:

I'd love to hear what the good point or points you found about the Dayna character where? (Come on there must have been something good. Let's face it, Dayna was the star of Animals. Smile Or was it actually Og? Pfft).

She looked pretty good in a jumpsuit...
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

JustBrad

Let's face it, Dame Judi Dench couldn't have done anything with that script.

Frankymole
Still better than the "Dayna" in the two BBC radio plays (Sevenfold Crown and Syndeton Experiment) though Angela Bruce did her best.

rojkerr1
Sevenfold crown and syndeton were absolute rubbish through and through, no redeeming features at all. I asked Brian Lighthill why he asked Barry letts to write them instead of Chris Boucher, never did get a satisfactiory answer. Barry Letts had no understanding of the ethos of the series, he regarded a it as a shallow and hoary space opera, which is exactly what he wrote! Dayna surprised at Avon shooting to kill? Tarrant sadistically cutting a woman? Vila being greedy insteady of drunken? Come on! doubt if he actually saw an episode...

Gauda Cheese
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Interestingly Tanith Lee wrote two verses of Dayna's song, of which Dayna only sings one. It even features on her description in Wikipedia:

I left my world to wander in

this endless midnight sky,
for space is just a starry night
where no suns ever rise.

There are no mornings like my world's,
no shapes, no sounds, no signs.
But I could never count the suns
That my world's lost behind.

Is this real? I love it and if you sing it the same way Josette sings verse one, it totally works.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.43 seconds
9,184,267 unique visits since 8th January 2014