Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Soolin
trevor travis
A theory of mine, of how Glynis Barber could return as Soolin for Big Finish, despite any messy rights problems:

Soolin is actually a surname, not a first name. She has a twin sister. Soolin long presumed her twin sister dead, killed along with the rest of her family. But she survived. Soolin’s twin sister is also referred to by her surname e.g. Soolin. As a coincidence, this Soolin is also a lady gunslinger. This Soolin sounds completely like the other Soolin, hence she is to be played by Glynis Barber.

There you go, a completely separate and different Soolin.

BradPaula
So what you are saying, TT, is that with your theory, we'll get two bums instead of just the one? Cheeky! Angry

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

So what you are saying, TT, is that with your theory, we'll get two bums instead of just the one? Cheeky! Angry

No I'm saying that as Soolin the gunslinger is ruled out through right issues, they should bring in her twin sister, Soolin the gunslinger Grin

AvonGreen
I loved Soolin, and wish she had joined the crew earlier. There again, i would say that, having a huge crush on Glynis Barber since childhood! Glynis was wonderful as Makepeace too, of course. She was needed as an intellectual rival to Avon, to keep him in check! I also sensed a few sparks of attraction between them. She was a much needed crackshot with a weapon, something not to be taken for granted.

ScorpioSurvivor81
Soolin is flawless in every single department. Besides being cute, she is also intelligent and a skillful fighter. Her radiant smile, her incredible body, her wits and her ability to work out complex problems make Soolin a great addition to the team. I also can't say enough how unbelievably gorgeous I find her. Cliched I know, but Glynis Barber is almost angel-like in appearance. Anyway, episode highlights for Soolin would be Animals, Headhunter, Assassin, Gold & Blake.

Travisina
Move over, Trevor Travis - you've got a rival!

Soolin only has 7 lines in 'Animals' (that could actually have been spoken by anyone else) so I think 'Headhunter' is the first ep where we really start to get a proper sense of her as a character. She has some great lines, and Glynis delivers them brilliantly - especially her scene with Vila where she finds him in a cupboard, and her reply to Orac: 'You wouldn't know where to start'.

This continues in 'Assassin' - I cheer every time I see her slap Piri or figure out the plot and save the men. I also like her in 'Sand', even though Tanith Lee is sneakily using her to reference the other ep she wrote! Her potential continues to grow with all subsequent eps.

It's too bad there were no further seasons, and now I just hope that Big Finish can sort out the rights to using her character, so that we can have some audio adventures featuring her. Glynis is certainly up for doing them!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Soolin is flawless in every single department. Besides being cute, she is also intelligent and a skillful fighter. Her radiant smile, her incredible body, her wits and her ability to work out complex problems make Soolin a great addition to the team. I also can't say enough how unbelievably gorgeous I find her. Cliched I know, but Glynis Barber is almost angel-like in appearance. Anyway, episode highlights for Soolin would be Animals, Headhunter, Assassin, Gold & Blake.

Soolin and Glynis are indeed wonderful.

Her best episodes for me are Assassin and Warlord, which incidentally are the two episodes where she saves Avon's life. Assassin doesn't really need any explanation, since she's the one who: 1. Slaps Piri 2. Works out the plot. 3. Kills Piri. Grin

I can't say I find her great in Animals, since if your blink, you miss her in that episode. She actually manages to have even less dialogue in that than Gan has in Breakdown Shock

Soolin comes into her own in Headhunter, the first episode where dialogue was written specifically for her, with some wonderful exchanges with Orac. And then she's great for the rest of the season. Although, of course, Glynis looks lovely in all 13 episodes. Grin

helo_75
Line of season 4 ... stardrive... off camera, but fabulous... "oh great so not only will we be dead, we'll be bored as well" can't think of a better one liner in the whole season

ScorpioSurvivor81
"Glynis looks lovely in all 13 episodes."

Oh, I agree! She also looked good in Project Avalon, but then I have a thing for Mutoids Smile

Hugbot
trevor travis wrote:

Glynis looks lovely in all 13 episodes. Grin

Judging from your comments during the rewatch, I thought she looks lovely in all 52 episodes.

Travisina
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:
... but then I have a thing for Mutoids Smile

Don't tell me, it's the black leather, right?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

I thought it was the trendy hats.

ScorpioSurvivor81
JustBrad wrote:

Travisina wrote:

ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

I thought it was the trendy hats.

Both Grin

AvonGreen
Glynis as Soolin...!

Phwwwooooarrr!! 😊
Intelligence, beauty, and a crackshot.
What more could any man wish for?

Travis8845
I keep seeing quotes on the internet about Glynis saying in a 2006 interview that she wouldn't have returned for season E, if it had happened. Was this a Scorpio Attack Interview? Thanks.

Travis8845
trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Fair point TT. I suppose what I meant was that her hatred of Zukan is interesting because it hints at the presence of a controlling father figure in Soolin's life. It isn't just dislike - she implies she wants to kill him. It's such a strong personal reaction about something that doesn't personally affect her. She's the most openly women's libber of the female caste. ( note I said openly) and this is a little window into her psyche. Don't think we get the same glimpse in earlier episodes - except perhaps Games when she relishes the chance to outshoot herself.

Annie, I see what you mean.

Yes Warlord does display new territory in terms of that side of Soolin. After the death of her family, didn't she then spend time learning how to shoot from her family's killers, before shooting them herself? In which case, if Zukan reminded her of them, no-one wonder she dislikes Zukan so strongly. Or maybe Zeeona's plight reminds her of her own from her past.

I don't get that. If Soolin sought vengeance for her father that would indicate that she was fond of him. So if Zukan reminds her of her father and she detests him it's contradictory. It's more likely that she just didn't like bullies, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Anniew
Sooper Mouse I meant a father FIGURE. I suspect some abuse from men, perhaps after the death of her family. There had to be a reason for Soolin's escape. Either she was mutoided but at some point the process was successfully reversed or more likely she was taken by the leader of the group who killed her family and groomed for pleasure. Perhaps as part of the process ( if she was very young) becoming too damaged to breed - hence her later willingness to accept a life as Dorians well paid companion. But it could also have made her sensitive and even a little sentimental about young love hence her willingness to help zeeona escape or more likely, just getting one over on two controlling men, Zukan and Avon may have been sufficient motivation - a way of saying to Avon, " You've hired me not bought me ...I do what seems right to me and you're welcome to try and take me out if you don't like it...just remember my skills with a gun. ".

If she hasn't got a motivation like this, then it's extremely silly of her to annoy both Avon and Zukan, jeopardise the alliance and compromise their safety as a result. She's also letting a potential enemy know where their base is ( Zeeona could easily inform Zukan who might be sufficiently annoyed to shop them to the Feds or even attack them himself.)

There has to be some deep seated psychology behind both her willingness to be hired by Dorian and Avon and to risk offending another controlling father figure Zukan and for me a grooming scenario with non consensual sex from an early age, leading to mixed feelings of safety, familiarity and latent deep hatred is a possible explanation.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
Travis8845 wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Fair point TT. I suppose what I meant was that her hatred of Zukan is interesting because it hints at the presence of a controlling father figure in Soolin's life. It isn't just dislike - she implies she wants to kill him. It's such a strong personal reaction about something that doesn't personally affect her. She's the most openly women's libber of the female caste. ( note I said openly) and this is a little window into her psyche. Don't think we get the same glimpse in earlier episodes - except perhaps Games when she relishes the chance to outshoot herself.

Yes Warlord does display new territory in terms of that side of Soolin. After the death of her family, didn't she then spend time learning how to shoot from her family's killers, before shooting them herself? In which case, if Zukan reminded her of them, no-one wonder she dislikes Zukan so strongly. Or maybe Zeeona's plight reminds her of her own from her past.

I don't get that. If Soolin sought vengeance for her father that would indicate that she was fond of him. So if Zukan reminds her of her father and she detests him it's contradictory. It's more likely that she just didn't like bullies, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I was saying that maybe Zukan reminded Soolin of the people who killed her family, not her father.

Travis8845
trevor travis wrote:

Travis8845 wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

I was saying that maybe Zukan reminded Soolin of the people who killed her family, not her father.

Ah, sorry. That makes more sense Happy

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

peladon wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

peladon wrote:

Not up to Jenna standards IMO...

Nobody is.

I disagree. Soolin is a more rounded and interesting character than Jenna. Also, Jenna is mostly a bit useless, where Soolin can actually look after herself. And save Avon's sorry backside (in both "Assassin" and "Warlord" ).

Dont see the evidence for that myself. From the first moment she enters Jenna is a 'real' person and her character, psychology and background is built quite quickly. She is also multi skilled being pilot,soldier and explorer all within the first series. Soolin on the other is pretty hollow and has only one real purpose for most of the penny dreadfuls, that being to shoot. Granted she gains a little more definiton towards the end but she remains a black and white sketch of character for most of her time.

But don't we learn more about Soolin's background than Jenna. There's a reference to Jenna's mother in "Space Fall" - that's about it I think. Whereas information on Soolin's background is included in "Rescue", "Warlord", "Blake" for starters.

And Soolin is also multi-talented, her finest hour being "Assassin", where Tarrant and Avon completely mess everything up, and leave her to work everything out. Not to mention her quick thinking in "Warlord". And more than holding her own with Keiller in "Gold". And taking the initative with Orac in "Headhunter".

and didn't Soolin by sending Zeeona back end up getting her killed?Since we're talking about messing up, should Zukan not have been a traitor then there's Soolin effectively sabotaging Avon's plans for the sake of Tarrant's rampant hormones.
And since Soolin didn't know Zukan was seling them to Servalan, then she's failing in her duties as a mercenary.

Then again she was needed for the tenuous connection to GP's backstory. Because otherwise, I'm pretty sure Avon would have dealt with her in an appropriate manner.

Surely by now after the whole Piri/Servalan fiasco Spplin knows that Tarrant will snog everything vaguely female.
If she wanted to be that charitable she might as well step up for it herself as a charitable act, it would've been easier.
Edited by sooper mouse on 12 January 2017 17:00:59
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.63 seconds
9,494,562 unique visits since 8th January 2014