Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
The most ridiculous fight scene in B7
sooper mouse
Personally I'd say Avon wrestling Bayban the Butcher is definitely one of the most ridiculous fights.
I mean of course, Avon is a vicious fighter, but it still looks just hilarious.

Vicious enough to keep trophies too- that's where he got the gauntlets from Pfft
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

clareblues1
I'd put a couple of nominations here. ..Dayna fighting with Klegg in Powerplay and again in Harvest fighting Jarvik. However I would also add that Tarrant doesn't do well either against Jarvik.

Add to that Tarrant vs Cancer in Assassin.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

JustBrad
Jenna and the alien in The Web. Good enough idea, but the timing is off, probably due to lack of rehearsal time, this is the BBC after all.

You cal clearly see Sally start to get up, look to the stunt man bent over the teleport console, and wait... and wait.... and wait... and wait... for him to turn around before finally standing and attacking.

Surprised this wasn't fixed in editing, really.

trevor travis
Jenna vs Amagon in Bounty.

sweevo
Avon vs the technician in "Space Fall" (Avon's finishing move - "The Ears of Doom" - saves it for me).

sooper mouse
clareblues1 wrote:

I'd put a couple of nominations here. ..Dayna fighting with Klegg in Powerplay and again in Harvest fighting Jarvik. However I would also add that Tarrant doesn't do well either against Jarvik.

Add to that Tarrant vs Cancer in Assassin.

maybe an easier question would have been "the least ridiculous and most realistic fight scene in B7?"
(Avon versus the London Computer tech imho. Vicious)
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

sooper mouse
sweevo wrote:

Avon vs the technician in "Space Fall" (Avon's finishing move - "The Ears of Doom" - saves it for me).

I thought that was good actually. Very vicious.

Travisina
sooper mouse wrote:

sweevo wrote:

So vicious that it was actually cut from one of the video releases.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

sooper mouse
Travisina wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

sweevo wrote:

So vicious that it was actually cut from one of the video releases.

I thought it was done like that to give a preview of what Avon was capable of, but turns out that it just kinda happened- Paul D apparently did it like a "street fighter" as he says in "You're him aren't you"

rojkerr1
do u mean Jenna and the alien in Time Squad? Not the Web? I'd say Dayna and Gunsar in Power...get in there Gunsar!

JustBrad
rojkerr1 wrote:

do u mean Jenna and the alien in Time Squad? Not the Web? I'd say Dayna and Gunsar in Power...get in there Gunsar!

Oops. Yes. Thinking of today's rewatch.

Anniew
The federation troops that hide in the sand in War Lord and inexplicably do back flips rather than just shoot Avon and Soolin take some beating. And Avon freeing himself is an impressive stunt but not really convincing.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

briggsy1
One of the ways that B7 differs from Star Trek and other genre shows is that they seemed to mainly use the actual actors for fight scenes rather than stuntmen. Star Trek got around the obvious difference in appearance between the actor and stunt double by use of long distance shots from above or behind, to varying degrees of success.

Lurena
IMHO B7 shows their fights in good old "stage play style", which uses a very different choreography than the "movie style". It does not bother me at all.
But sometimes I wonder what instructions the actors got from their director considering their character specifications.
For example in Space Fall, Avon doesn't come across to be a trained fighter, but he needs to fight the technician in order to free himself and consequently to survive.
I don't like the "Ears of Doom" very much, but I can see it as a desperate attempt to get the mission completed.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
sooper mouse
Lurena wrote:

IMHO B7 shows their fights in good old "stage play style", which uses a very different choreography than the "movie style". It does not bother me at all.
But sometimes I wonder what instructions the actors got from their director considering their character specifications.
For example in Space Fall, Avon doesn't come across to be a trained fighter, but he needs to fight the technician in order to free himself and consequently to survive.
I don't like the "Ears of Doom" very much, but I can see it as a desperate attempt to get the mission completed.

well, he's not a trained fighter is he? In his autobiography Paul D says he'd been training with some stuntman who told him to do the scene like a street fighter- violent and without any sort of chivalry ( as opposed to how the theater actors did it).
So he did it and it was considered too violent, but it sure looks real doesn't it?

Travisina
There's also the issue of the way things were filmed; studio recording (multi-camera) being very different to location filming (single camera). As a rule, location single-camera filming provided more options - lots of short shots that could be edited together to provide effective action sequences. Studio recording was done in longer takes, cutting between cameras in real time, which is one of the reasons it looks more stage-y. That said, while some location fight sequences in B7 are superb (eg Traitor) others are well ropy, especially in The Keeper and Assassin. My heart goes out to those film editors who must have been desperate for more coverage (been there, done that).

Joe Dredd
Wasn't there also a prohibition on doing anything overtly violent or dangerous that could be copied by the general public, especially children? I've been told that's why (for example) the hold-a-lighter-in-front-of-a-spraycan-and-use-it-as-a-flamethrower "trick" was never shown on British TV, even though in contrast it was seen it various US programmes and movies. From memory that's why PD's "ear clap" move was edited out - too easy to copy and to cause serious hearing damage to someone.

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Wasn't there also a prohibition on doing anything overtly violent or dangerous that could be copied by the general public, especially children? ... From memory that's why PD's "ear clap" move was edited out - too easy to copy and to cause serious hearing damage to someone.

Yes, I think that's right.

sooper mouse
Travisina wrote:

There's also the issue of the way things were filmed; studio recording (multi-camera) being very different to location filming (single camera). As a rule, location single-camera filming provided more options - lots of short shots that could be edited together to provide effective action sequences. Studio recording was done in longer takes, cutting between cameras in real time, which is one of the reasons it looks more stage-y. That said, while some location fight sequences in B7 are superb (eg Traitor) others are well ropy, especially in The Keeper and Assassin. My heart goes out to those film editors who must have been desperate for more coverage (been there, done that).

stuntmen throwing themselves at our heroes etc

sweevo
Travisina wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Wasn't there also a prohibition on doing anything overtly violent or dangerous that could be copied by the general public, especially children? ... From memory that's why PD's "ear clap" move was edited out - too easy to copy and to cause serious hearing damage to someone.

Yes, I think that's right.

It could have been worse - the fight could have been shot in first-person similar to an FPS game (maybe from Avon's perspective) - THAT is realism. Smile

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.67 seconds
9,144,071 unique visits since 8th January 2014