Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Del Tarrant
clareblues1
JustBrad wrote:

Compare the bullying Tarrant in Moloch or City... to the Tarrant in Deathwatch or Powerplay.

Agreed...they're almost 2 different characters in fact...the differences are so marked.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

trevor travis
clareblues1 wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Compare the bullying Tarrant in Moloch or City... to the Tarrant in Deathwatch or Powerplay.

Agreed...they're almost 2 different characters in fact...the differences are so marked.

Which suggests Tarrant is trying to be something he's not.... that is, older brother Deeta.

Once Del grows up a bit (ironically caused by the death of Deeta), we see a much more consistent character in the final season.

clareblues1
trevor travis wrote:

clareblues1 wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Which suggests Tarrant is trying to be something he's not.... that is, older brother Deeta.

Once Del grows up a bit (ironically caused by the death of Deeta), we see a much more consistent character in the final season.

In all honesty I wouldn't worry yourself with analysing what Tarrant is or isn't trying to be and just put it down to inconsistent writing...

One thing that does catch my attention though is despite Tarrant not being an especially 'popular' character...compared to Avon for example...that we chat about him so much. It seems that even with his inconsistencies, inexperience and gung-ho that we still regard him as interesting enough to talk about.

Compare Gan that is probably talked about the least.

Thoughts on that anyone?

JustBrad
clareblues1 wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Will they wash you out of Federation Fleet Cadet School for being Schizzophrenic?
Maybe that's the answer. Captain Tarrant and Mister Hyde.

clareblues1
JustBrad wrote:

clareblues1 wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Will they wash you out of Federation Fleet Cadet School for being Schizzophrenic?
Maybe that's the answer. Captain Tarrant and Mister Hyde.

No, not for that, LOL But they might have something to say about what I'd be doing to those curls! Grin Oops, did I say that aloud? Silly me!

lemon
The first episodes of series C with introduced of new characters is brilliant! Tarrant very attractive and bold. Still lacking Blake and Jenna, but Tarrant and Dayna at first impression fill the void. However, I not understand the motives for engaged Tarrant on Liberator. He is ex-captain of the Federation with hazy past and now he is boss on the ship with no rights for that.The crew should don't trust him surely.
This feature of leadership Blake as optimism and domination passed on Tarrant. He is otherwise not Blake, of course - no idealism, but comparisons come to mind.

clareblues1
I wholeheartedly agree lemon, alas I have found no plausible explanation save that of the different writers and their various ways of interpreting the character.

sweevo
I think Tarrant should have been kept the way he was introduced in Aftermath and Powerplay. I would have written him not necessarily as Blake's substitute, but as a counterpoint to Avon and not just for the sake of having both characters arguing (I'd have made the T-Man a bit more consistent in his characterisation and even a bit of a torturer to imply his Federation background - example, in "Terminal", Avon threatens to shoot Tarrant if he intervenes. My ideal characterisation of the T-Man would have knocked out or apprehended Avon and forced him to divulge the information from Zen on pain of torture or something similar).

Anniew
I think it's a shame they didn't write him nonchalant and up for every risk. I think Avon would have found an optimist who dared a lot very difficult to deal with and the dynamic would have been great to watch. It's when Tarrant gets priggish and bossy that it doesn't work. Powerplay works because temporarily, Tarrant knows what's going on and Avon doesn't and Avon is hampered by the need to get the others back on board. But Avon is much more knowledgable than Tarrant so can squash him when he tries to confront him with power in the rest of the series. But an " oh well it was worth a try" optimist would have proved difficult to deal with and would have got under Avon's skin.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
sweevo wrote:

I think Tarrant should have been kept the way he was introduced in Aftermath and Powerplay. I would have written him not necessarily as Blake's substitute, but as a counterpoint to Avon and not just for the sake of having both characters arguing (I'd have made the T-Man a bit more consistent in his characterisation and even a bit of a torturer to imply his Federation background - example, in "Terminal", Avon threatens to shoot Tarrant if he intervenes. My ideal characterisation of the T-Man would have knocked out or apprehended Avon and forced him to divulge the information from Zen on pain of torture or something similar).

You make a great point, Sweevo. We only saw Tarrant behave a bit like that in Powerplay, where he bullied his way, or bluffed his way around the ship and ended up hitting Avon to keep him quiet. I think if we had one or two writers together as a writing team the character would have been more consistent, but we didn't so we got wild variations of Tarrant in the third series especially.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

clareblues1
You've struck a chord there Paula, too many different writers involved...in fact I'd say the inconsistent nature of Tarrant isn't the only thing to be affected.

lemon
clareblues1 wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree lemon, alas I have found no plausible explanation save that of the different writers and their various ways of interpreting the character.

It seems that there must be another episode where between Powerplay and Volcano and that would show changes in the relationship between Tarrant and others, explain his concern for the crew. It's surprising that he tries to stop Avon when he tried to escape alone in Dawn of the Gods. It is clear that he is thinking as captain but I too would like to see him more desperate as he was in Powerplay.

meegat39
lemon wrote:

clareblues1 wrote:

It seems that there must be another episode where between Powerplay and Volcano and that would show changes in the relationship between Tarrant and others, explain his concern for the crew. It's surprising that he tries to stop Avon when he tried to escape alone in Dawn of the Gods. It is clear that he is thinking as captain but I too would like to see him more desperate as he was in Powerplay.

Lemon, I don't think Avon was trying to escape. I think he just got in the suit to give a modicum of protection.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

lemon
Oh, I must reconsider. I like their exchange of pleasantries after that.Angry

dragonq
lemon wrote:

clareblues1 wrote:

There is some discussion of this in the Liberation book, which suggests that Tarrant's character derived from an abandoned idea for a different character called the Captain. If the book is accurate, it probably explains the change in direction.

I must say I always found it totally unbelievable that Avon should have given Tarrant voice command over Zen. Dayna too, to a lesser extent. Both of them seemed altogether too willing to murder people from the very beginning; I wonder he could sleep in his bed with that pair wandering around the ship.

peladon

I must say I always found it totally unbelievable that Avon should have given Tarrant voice command over Zen. Dayna too, to a lesser extent. Both of them seemed altogether too willing to murder people from the very beginning; I wonder he could sleep in his bed with that pair wandering around the ship.

Given the nature of Avon I think it is reasonable to assume that he had ways of overriding any attempt to challenge his ownership and of withdrawing their command at any point he chose.

Space Commander Travis
I love Tarrant, he's become my favourite character jointly with Vila Grin

clareblues1
Space Commander Travis wrote:

I love Tarrant, he's become my favourite character jointly with Vila Grin

Good to have you on the Tarrant scene SCT!

If you're interested in news of Steven's other work, there is a website dedicated to him, stevenpacey.com and a Facebook group for discussion of his theatre and audio books.

Angry Angel
I see Tarrant as being young, keen and idealistic at heart, but having been part of the Federation he's become accustomed to brutality. Sometimes he acts on instinct, sometimes he pushes against what the Federaion indoctrinated him with, and sometimes he goes along with that habitual brutality.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
JustBrad
Like Vila, the character suffers from inconsistent writing, sometimes noble, sometimes a bully. Of course history is full of noble born bullies.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
9,841,204 unique visits since 8th January 2014