Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 1
MLPasterisk

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Del Tarrant
Spaceresearcher
One thing I really found terrific about Tarrant was that he was true to his word. He also ended up being one of the most honorable characters. Do other fellow fans agree?

Spaceresearcher
Wonder if clareblues1 has any elaborations on Tarrants honour?

Grade Four Ignorant
Tarrant could be ruthless and cunning, but he was also arrogant and impulsive. He had a talent for crime and piracy and it's clear that a life in the military would never satisfy his desire for adventure and to be a hero.

Even though he was written originally to be the heroic lead and a replacement for Blake - indeed, The Harvest of Kairos has Liberator under his command and Servalan very much assumes Tarrant to be the leader of the group - he is not as reckless as Blake could be and doesn't particularly share any of his idealism. He remains aboard Liberator because he is intrigued by the riches it can provide him and the excitement of flying the fastest ship in the universe.

Whilst there is no doubt that he would have happily sacrificed Vila for his own personal gain in City at the Edge of the World, he does display a level of personal loyalty to the others. Most notably when he stops Avon from abandoning ship in Dawn of the Gods.

Angry Angel
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

Whilst there is no doubt that he would have happily sacrificed Vila for his own personal gain in City at the Edge of the World, he does display a level of personal loyalty to the others. Most notably when he stops Avon from abandoning ship in Dawn of the Gods.

I think he bullied Vila in City (for the good of the whole group, not for his own gain) because of his military background. I think he found Vila's reluctance to do things that needed doing annoying, and used a technique he thought would work to get Vila to do them. It's notable that he obviously didn't think he scared Vila as much as he actually did, and was apologetic to him afterwards. So yes, I find Tarrant very honourable, and generally keen to help other people.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
rojkerr1
LIked the moment in Death watch when he wouldn't shoot Vini in the back, machine or no machine

Panna
Spaceresearcher wrote:

One thing I really found terrific about Tarrant was that he was true to his word. He also ended up being one of the most honorable characters. Do other fellow fans agree?

I agree (even though Avon was my favorite). I felt sorry for Tarrant in the end. I wish he had ditched Avon and taken the others with him.
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

JustBrad
Spaceresearcher wrote:

The Lancelot to Blake's Arthur and Avon's Merlin.

The Kent to Gareth's Lear.

meegat39
I don't really agree. He tried to bully Vila on a number of occasions, threatening to dump him too. However, on the whole he was nice.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
Del Tarrant is no hero. He likes to think he is, but often his actions betray him. If he was sorry for the way he treated Vila in City, then he has a funny way of showing it. Just five episodes later, in Moloch he tries to bully Vila againÖ this time at gunpoint. Fortunately Vila is having none of it on his occasion.

Tarrant does act inconsistently. I think heís trying to be his older brother, but often falls short. Tarrant is well suited amongst the group of criminals and misfits on the Liberator and the Scorpio.

Itís after the death of Deeta, that Delís behaviour does change quite significantly. He loses a lot of his arrogance and vanity (which is so apparent in e.g. Harvest), and he is a lot less argumentative in the final season. Itís interesting that he is Avonís confidant in Orbit; a kind of trust has developed between the two men. In the final episode, Avon takes Tarrantís word above that of Blake.

In short, Tarrant tries to be a man of honour like his brother, but heís not really.

clareblues1
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Wonder if clareblues1 has any elaborations on Tarrants honour?

When I'm not too busy being distracted by that smile and the generous head of curls you mean? LOL

I think in truth it's hard to suggest a 'definitive' for Tarrant because by the time we got to the third series a lot of different writers were working on the scripts. The net result being that the character varies so much between episodes.

I would say that he appears to have personal boundaries, beyond which he is not prepared to tolerate the actions of others. Avon and Vila seem to frequently cross this line and those frustrations come out, sometimes in less than appropriate ways. I would also say that Tarrant is aware of his own shortcomings and is at least willing to try and apologise when he knows he's gone too far, even if this doesn't always come out right.

I'd fall short of calling him an out-right bully (Oxford definition: A person who uses strength or influence to harm or intimidate those who are weaker), which to me is someone who demonstrates this type of behaviour on a regular basis, like Servalan for example. Now if you want to see a true bully, look no further! What I believe Tarrant is however, is someone who is prepared to step into that zone between assertion and aggression sufficiently to ensure things go the right way (as he sees it of course). He is not alone in this as other characters are just as capable of using their strength to get what they want when the need arises.

Tarrant strikes me as someone who in less hostile circumstances would be always be at the forefront when it comes to taking risks. So a dangerous or pressured job would suit him.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Travisina
meegat39 wrote:

I don't really agree. He tried to bully Vila on a number of occasions, threatening to dump him too. However, on the whole he was nice.

Tarrant *threatened* to dump Vila, but it was Avon who very nearly did it Oops
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
Partly serious, partly not.

Could Tarrant be a victim of the class system in which he was born and bred, raised to be an Alpha Grade, taught that The Terran Federation was a noble benevolent force that took care of the lessor worlds? When he found out it was all a lie, he deserted, hanging on to all he thought was gallant and noble, but also hanging on to that class system. He and Avon were Alphas, Cally was an alien, and Villa was a service grade.

Even in Camelot, if the surfs don't do as they are told, the knights are likely to raise their voices.

Or to put it another way. Help Help! I'm being repressed. Come see the violence inherent in the system.

clareblues1
JustBrad wrote:

Partly serious, partly not.

Could Tarrant be a victim of the class system in which he was born and bred, raised to be an Alpha Grade, taught that The Terran Federation was a noble benevolent force that took care of the lessor worlds? When he found out it was all a lie, he deserted, hanging on to all he thought was gallant and noble, but also hanging on to that class system. He and Avon were Alphas, Cally was an alien, and Villa was a service grade.

Even in Camelot, if the surfs don't do as they are told, the knights are likely to raise their voices.

Or to put it another way. Help Help! I'm being repressed. Come see the violence inherent in the system.

I would agree that the Federation is a division based society where people are valued according to their skills/intelligence, yes.

Travisina
clareblues1 wrote:

I would agree that the Federation is a division based society where people are valued according to their skills/intelligence, yes.

In which case, Vila should have been an Alpha Cool

I think there's a class system still at work, with people 'graded' from birth. Hence Vila's line about 'choosing the wrong parents' - a truth spoken in jest.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
clareblues1 wrote:

I see it more of a dictatorship, with rich and powerful people having rich and powerful sons and daughters. Some of Vila's lines about growing up in the slums seem to confirm this.

I don't think Tarrant's grade is given, although I assume it is Alpha, given he does seem to have a privileged life. In which case, it's not by intelligence, since Vila (Delta) is quite a bit more intelligent than Tarrant (Alpha).

Panna
If only Blake had given him medical treatment rather than make a suffering man subject to whatever "test" he was doing.
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

President Solvite
The Federation was a military based plutocracy in my view. (with a vestige of a democratic process)

This is at least what we can see from the beginning, The President and the Council are little more than figureheads, whose strength would vary according to how in line they were with the political 'goals' of Space Command. By season 4 this has devolved to a military dictatorship with martial law applied when needed (whenever convenient)

The class system was a way of keeping the masses suppressed. I agree with Travisina.. You were 'born' into your grade. Higher grades would want to keep the Delta and Gamma grades in their place to ensure their positions are maintained (whilst pushing themselves ever higher). I believe Star One was where all the 'mechanics' of this was controlled. (local defense infrastructure etc..) To up your grade you had to bribe, blackmail or otherwise coerce yourself up. Everyone seemed to be out for themselves. The official line would be no doubt you had the potential of upgrading if you proved your worth. But in reality social mobility would be pretty stagnant.

Tarrant had the makings of a hero no doubt about it, however, you are moulded by your environment and Tarrant's annoyance at Vila is that he expected people to follow the common good route without (or very little) question. Remember in the military if a superior officer gives an order you are required to comply without hesitation or risk being court-martialed for insubordination. Or much more likely in the case of the Feds, be shot and have your family sold to slavery on the frontier worlds, or worse!

Tarrant's behaviour in City and Moloch reflects his past, his privileged position and his expectancy of compliance and following orders.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
clareblues1
President Solvite wrote:

Tarrant had the makings of a hero no doubt about it, however, you are moulded by your environment and Tarrant's annoyance at Vila is that he expected people to follow the common good route without (or very little) question. Remember in the military if a superior officer gives an order you are required to comply without hesitation or risk being court-martialed for insubordination. Or much more likely in the case of the Feds, be shot and have your family sold to slavery on the frontier worlds, or worse!

Tarrant's behaviour in City and Moloch reflects his past, his privileged position and his expectancy of compliance and following orders.

I wholly concur and pity actually that they didn't develop his 'past' in more depth or for that matter follow the original outline for the character which involved him being motivated to betray Avon & co. to the Federation, but over a few episodes comes around. I was intrigued by that the moment I heard Steven read it out in Kevin Davies' documentary part 3. Why on earth did they drop that? Madness!

peladon
I dont think I can see Tarrant as particularly heroic, or even noble. He seems to be brash, rash and given to hectoring conduct that does slide into bullying against his less assertive comrades. I think he represents a particular type of military character, one who does well in time of high risk but struggles with more normal situations, I do however think he believes he is honorable, though his criminal inclinations seem to surpass Avon's.

As for the Federation, well I think they are are a militarised society coupled with a civilian democracy that is more show than substance. They seem to be a 'real' meritocracy, with peoples grade being determined by measured ability of some form. This does not preclude the influence of family on prospects any more than it does in 21st century UK, and true meritocracy would be a tough climate to live in for many people anyway.

JustBrad
Tarrant received vastly differfent treatment from the various writers. They all understood that he was a foil for Avon, but were otherwise inconsistent in their approach. Compare the bullying Tarrant in Moloch or City... to the Tarrant in Deathwatch or Powerplay.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
9,169,835 unique visits since 8th January 2014