Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Del Tarrant
clareblues1
JustBrad wrote:

Like Vila, the character suffers from inconsistent writing, sometimes noble, sometimes a bully. Of course history is full of noble born bullies.

Agreed, too many different people involved and sometimes the inconsistencies occur within the same episode.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

dragonq
What I think you see with Tarrant is a very young man who's been trained to a position of authority, but who's not used to the execution of it. He might have trained as a Federation captain, but he can't have been doing the job for long, because we know he had his own ship prior to joining the Liberator's crew. I think this explains some of the bluster and inconsistency in the character.

As a totally different example of something similar: we forget the character of Mr Collins in Pride and Prejudice is actually only about 24. His pomposity is that of a very young, unimaginative and not enormously intelligent man who finds himself in a position of authority. As anyone who's ever been on interview panels knows, the people with the longest CVs always have the least experience.

Angry Angel
Good points dragonq, I like the Mr Collins comparison!

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
JustBrad
dragonq wrote:

What I think you see with Tarrant is a very young man who's been trained to a position of authority, but who's not used to the execution of it. He might have trained as a Federation captain, but he can't have been doing the job for long, because we know he had his own ship prior to joining the Liberator's crew. I think this explains some of the bluster and inconsistency in the character.

I'll still blame most (but not all) of the inconsistency on the writers. That said, you make a very good point. Tarrant certainly has many virtues, but he also has a nasty streak, the heart of which, IMHO, lies in his arrogance. The question is: Is that arrogance (and / or sense of superiority) an innate character flaw, or the natural result of having been born and bred as an Alpha, and trained by the Federation Military Academy?

Compare with Blake's arrogance, and Avon's. Three different sides of the same Federation Alpha coin?

President Solvite
You have to remember Tarrant was trained as a soldier.. And I think he expects people to follow a common goal for the benefit of the group (Ref City (weapons), Kairos (money/resources) As a Vila fan I do resent Tarrant's behaviour in CatEtW BUT he does meaningfully apologise for his behaviour when he realises his tactic caused the opposite desired effect.

In any military you HAVE to accept orders, it isn't a democracy, and indeed many people not used to that scenario can't accept that.

That being said Tarrant does suffer from inconsistent writing particularly in 'D' he is a team player, whereas Avon isn't there in lies a conflict and a point of contention with both characters and certain fan segments..

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
dragonq
Tarrant did get knocked on the head in Terminal. Maybe it affected his brain.Frown

JustBrad
dragonq wrote:

Tarrant did get knocked on the head in Terminal. Maybe it affected his brain.Frown

But he'd already been a complete jerk in City...

clareblues1
May fortune favour the foolish...

Angry Angel
President Solvite wrote:

You have to remember Tarrant was trained as a soldier.. And I think he expects people to follow a common goal for the benefit of the group (Ref City (weapons), Kairos (money/resources) As a Vila fan I do resent Tarrant's behaviour in CatEtW BUT he does meaningfully apologise for his behaviour when he realises his tactic caused the opposite desired effect.

In any military you HAVE to accept orders, it isn't a democracy, and indeed many people not used to that scenario can't accept that.

Very much agree with this - he tried throwing his weight around to get the desired effect that was for the good of all of them, but he was decent enough to apologose when he realised that his behaviour affected Vila far more than he thought. Not really the behaviour of someone naturally arrogant.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
clareblues1
That's a very good observation, lets be honest, does someone who is thoroughly arrogant start apologising? Take your typical aggressive driver for example...

Even though I like the Tarrant character I'm not beyond seeing his faults and the Vila relationship is one of them. Of course Avon gets just as infuriated with Vila, he just expresses it differently.

In a way I see City as Tarrant's 'Orbit'. Though I think that moment in Moloch is actually slightly more severe as he pulls a gun on Vila.

JustBrad
President Solvite wrote:

And that ties into my point, that in a fascist state, all the lower grades do what the Alphas tell them to do. It also helps explain the confrontations with Avon: Two Alphas, 'pawing the ground' to determine which one has seniority.

Tarrant may suffer form inconsistent writing, but he is also a product of the twisted universe in which he lives.

President Solvite
You don't have to look to a fascist state..(or maybe we live in them..) Any military, US, UK or any army of a benign regime tends to generate and indeed encourage people of a 'Tarrant' mindset.. IE. A military mind that will follow orders or give them expecting them to be complied with.. Promptly and without delay!

On some levels I can see Tarrant's frustration with Vila.. Who seemed too involved in self interest and preservation to be of much of asset to the group. It still means though, I side with Vila though in that scene. Smile

sooper mouse
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

Tarrant could be ruthless and cunning, but he was also arrogant and impulsive. He had a talent for crime and piracy and it's clear that a life in the military would never satisfy his desire for adventure and to be a hero.

Even though he was written originally to be the heroic lead and a replacement for Blake - indeed, The Harvest of Kairos has Liberator under his command and Servalan very much assumes Tarrant to be the leader of the group - he is not as reckless as Blake could be and doesn't particularly share any of his idealism. He remains aboard Liberator because he is intrigued by the riches it can provide him and the excitement of flying the fastest ship in the universe.

actually that makes HoC incredibly unbelievable because the episode was obviously written for Blake.
Tarrant was never that important and nobody in the federation ever assumed him to be the leader before or after. Nobody had a reason to be that obsessed with him.

Thing is, Pacey was too young for the role so he isn't a credible leader, he's just an arrogant brat that isn't very smart and needs to be saved when his own idiocy gets him into trouble.

That being said, that makes Del Tarrant endearing and honourable. And so annoying!!
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

President Solvite
Indeed I find Avon falls into that category on a few occasions Pfft

sooper mouse
President Solvite wrote:

Indeed I find Avon falls into that category on a few occasions Pfft

Brat and annoying? He is a brat in season one and annoying to the end. Which made him more lovable.

Mod edited.
Edited by JustBrad on 19 November 2016 02:27:00

ScorpioSurvivor81
Tarrant is my all time favourite character. I'm actually in the process of writing a fan fiction story where Tarrant actually survives the events of Blake. There are elements that I quite like and others I don't think will be appreciated by fans such as Tarrant meeting Soolin's younger sister (she might have had one, you never know) and Tarrant saving Servalan from a group of intergalactic pirates. I'm not sure it's all gonna work but I've got to try.
"What you do with your booty is up to you"

Travisina
Go for it - I'll look forward to reading it!

You are not alone in having Tarrant as your favourite character - Clareblues would definitely agree!

I should also add that Steven Pacey is really, really nice - always happy to chat to fans.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

ScorpioSurvivor81
Travisina wrote:

You are not alone in having Tarrant as your favourite character - Clareblues would definitely agree!

I should also add that Steven Pacey is really, really nice - always happy to chat to fans.

Thanks.
Nice to know I'm not the only Tarrant fanatic on the forum. What's the general opinion on Tarrant? From what I gather he's like marmite with some fans.
I'd love to meet Steven Pacey. Does he go to conventions much?
"What you do with your booty is up to you"

bob79519
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Thanks.
Nice to know I'm not the only Tarrant fanatic on the forum. What's the general opinion on Tarrant? From what I gather he's like marmite with some fans.
I'd love to meet Steven Pacey. Does he go to conventions much?

That depends. The Tv version of Tarrant sucks, he has the worst aspects of Blake and Jenna combined, and he bully's Vila for no reason. The ultimate example of how much the fans hate Tarrant, is in the novel Afterlife. Where he surrives Gauda Prime, just to be killed on Terminal. And beyond all of that, apart from being a bully, Tarrant does not have much of a personality. And that's why I don't like Tarrant.

In the Big Finish audios however, he's actually got a personality, he's not a bully, and he has an interesting backstory. Too bad he wasn't written as well on TV.

JustBrad
Aftermath is hardly representative of the average fan's attitude. Tarrant suffered badly from inconsistent writing. He was meant to be a foil for Avon, in much the way Avon was a foil for Blake, but as Steven Pacey himself pointed out, a foil is occasionally right, but Tarrant was almost always wrong.

He could be gallant, heroic, or self centered and arrogant. It is possible for one person to be all those things, but in Tarrant's case, it really depended on who wrote the script.

EDIT: I totally agree about BF, their scripts are consistently good and occasionally brilliant.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.64 seconds
9,173,010 unique visits since 8th January 2014