Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
so I guess we can't do cargo ships very well
sooper mouse
http://www.space....clear.html

Update for 1 pm EST: The Russian space agency Roscosmos has confirmed the loss of the Progress 65 spacecraft, which burned up in the atmosphere after an anomaly occurred during third-stage separation of the rocket booster. Remaining debris from the incinerated spacecraft fell over the Tuva Republic in southern Siberia.

Russia's space agency, Roscosmos, launched a new cargo ship to the International Space Station today (Dec. 1), but the fate of the robotic supply ship is unclear after issues cropped up during its trip into space.

The unmanned Progress 65 spacecraft blasted off atop a Russian Soyuz-U rocket at 9:51 a.m. EST (1451 GMT) from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on a mission to deliver more than 2.5 tons (2.3 metric tons) of food, equipment and other supplies to the space station. It was expected to arrive at the space station on Saturday (Dec. 3).

www.space.com/images/i/000/060/438/original/soyuz-launches-progress-65.jpg

But while the initial moments of the flight went as planned, flight controllers at Russia's mission control center near Moscow detected "ratty telemetry" as the Soyuz booster's third stage was firing.

Today's launch started off seemingly smooth and flawless. During a live webcast of the launch, NASA spokesman Rob Navias of the Johnson Space Center in Houston announced that "all vehicle parameters [were] reported performing perfectly" about 2 minutes after liftoff. Nearly 7 minutes later, the spacecraft achieved preliminary orbit insertion.

But as Progress 65 was entering Earth's orbit, mission controllers began to experience what Navias called ratty telemetry data during the end of the third-stage engine performance. At first it was unclear whether the third-stage engines had shut down and separated from the spacecraft. "Third-stage separation may have happened earlier than planned," Navias said.

Shortly thereafter, Navias announced that telemetry data "received in bits and pieces indicated that the navigational antennas have deployed." However, the fate of the spacecraft's solar arrays was up in limbo. Though telemetry data showed the solar panels were no longer stowed, whether they were successfully deployed remains uncertain.

If the mission is able to carry on, the Progress spacecraft's journey to the orbiting laboratory should last about two days. On Saturday, Progress is scheduled to dock to the station at the Zvezda module at 11:43 a.m. EST (1643 GMT).

Russia's three-module Progress spacecraft have an appearance similar to that of the country's Soyuz crew capsules. But instead of a crew module, the Progress has a module filled with propellant for the International Space Station.

Progress spacecraft are autonomous and can fly themselves to the space station, as well as park at one of several docking ports on the outpost's Russian modules. Cosmonauts inside the station can also take remote control of Progress vehicles if needed. At the end of their mission, Progress vehicles are loaded with trash and unneeded items, undocked from the station and intentionally burned up in Earth's atmosphere.

Progress vehicles are part of a fleet of unmanned cargo ship that keep space station crews stocked with supplies. That fleet includes Japan's H-2 Transfer Vehicle, as well as the Dragon spacecraft built by SpaceX and Cygnus supply ships built by Orbital ATK. The European Space Agency also flew five supply missions with its huge Autonomous Transfer Vehicles before ending that program.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever your personal politics are or how you feel about Russia- this is a big loss for everyone, especially since the West is too busy fighting the Saudi's wars to actually go into space anymore.

Russia has always had its eyes on space. I guess someone has to.
BY comparison- Yuri Gagarin is buried in the Kremlin wall. How many people even know who neil Armstrong was or where he's buried? How many people know Buzz Aldrin as anything but a mad ridiculous old man?
We were raised on space. We knew we'd grow up and go in space.
And maybe, just maybe, if communism was the price to pay for getting off this rock? Maybe it was worth paying.

http://poyekhali....
Poyekhali
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

sooper mouse
Joe Dredd wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:
How many people even know who Neil Armstrong was

Is there any doubt?

there are a lot of people in the West who don't. The younger generation especially

How many people know Buzz Aldrin as anything but a mad ridiculous old man?

???

google it

And maybe, just maybe, if communism was the price to pay for getting off this rock? Maybe it was worth paying.

No.

beats the idiocy of today - and I lived under communism.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Joe Dredd
sooper mouse wrote:
How many people even know who Neil Armstrong was

Is there any doubt?

How many people know Buzz Aldrin as anything but a mad ridiculous old man?

???

No.

sooper mouse
sorry. Space is a bit of a sensitive matter for me- we were supposed to get off this rock already by now, and we don't even seem to be caring about it anymore. It's stupid and it's wasteful, we should and could have done so much more by now and instead, as a species we're wasting time and resources on irrelevant manure.

And yes, if that was the price to having humanity reach off this rock, I'd have taken communism and ran with it with a smile and a song in my heart.
Because even living in communist Romania and being hungry and cold and scared was better than this. At least back then we had hope, maybe a stupid and empty hope but we were going to go into space and make a better world and it was worth it.

But this? This is horrible. Every time this sort of setback happens my heart breaks further and it's not like I have a lot of it anyway. Humanity has fallen deeper and deeper into wasteful depravity and despair and turns out nobody is even looking at the sky anymore.
The US doesn't even have orbit capable rockets anymore. Russia is investing in orbital weapons and India has a better space program than the UK.
I miss having a future to look forward to. I miss the promise of space.
And I'm sitting here crying like an idiot because a robotic ship couldn't make it up.
Poyekhali

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.19 seconds
9,188,889 unique visits since 8th January 2014