Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Horizon Advent Calendar Comments 2016
Anniew
Oh....got it! So very clever. I tried it before but could only make the ooaarr bird ( so called cos it lays square eggs).

And I LOVE the flexagons. Brilliant.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Anniew
Flexagons...FLEXAGONS.....urghhhhh aghhhh ngggggghhh###******##.

You would not believe the mess I've made with my flexagon..or the extent to which my brain refuses to process the instructions.

In fact I reckon they've been translated from Urdu.. or Auronese...or Andromedons...

Curse you Joe D.... how many more fiendish ways have you got to reveal my complete ineptitude....??

President Solvite
Hmm off work next week, time to put my Origami black belt into use Grin

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:
You would not believe the mess I've made with my flexagon..or the extent to which my brain refuses to process the instructions.

I'm so sorry Annie!

Sticking it together can be hard, especially as paper isn't particularly rigid. Having an extra pair of hands helps, if you can round one up and it doesn't spoil any surprises.

Is it the folding or the glueing that's causing the problems? Have you been able to fold it into shape? The purpose of the diagonal folds is to create a series of diamond-shaped 'faces' that fold together. If you're able to watch the video link I posted, the part starting at about 1 minutes & 40 seconds in should help. If it's still giving you grief then I'll try and put together some more helpful instructions.

On the positive side, they do say "Make a flexagon first thing in the morning and nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day", so you're all set for the day now!

Anniew
Joe..you are a sweetie... I just take after my old mum who once reduced an occupational therapist to tears when he tried to teach her basket weave. I'm good at craft but I'm an ooger. I take newspaper and oodge it into the shape I want. I make credible giraffes, elephants, Viking houses, sides of venison, fish but flexagons... not so much.. I'll watch the video but I don't think I get the principle. I had no trouble sticking it...the question was where... But I am content watching your beautiful flexagon unfold. My day is not unhappy - though I could have done with an all Avon version....

littlesue
Anniew wrote:

Joe..you are a sweetie... I just take after my old mum who once reduced an occupational therapist to tears when he tried to teach her basket weave. I'm good at craft but I'm an ooger. I take newspaper and oodge it into the shape I want. I make credible giraffes, elephants, Viking houses, sides of venison, fish but flexagons... not so much.. I'll watch the video but I don't think I get the principle. I had no trouble sticking it...the question was where... But I am content watching your beautiful flexagon unfold. My day is not unhappy - though I could have done with an all Avon version....

...now there's a challenge for some gifted person to create character flexagons for our Blake do in June!! (Don't look at me, I'm as bad as Anniew when it comes to paper and things!)
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

sooper mouse
littlesue wrote:

Anniew wrote:

...now there's a challenge for some gifted person to create character flexagons for our Blake do in June!! (Don't look at me, I'm as bad as Anniew when it comes to paper and things!)

If someone makes the design I'll print them
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Tyce
Joe Dredd wrote:

I really enjoyed your crossword, Tyce. I've still got about three answers to fill in on the outside but I'm almost done! Some of the clues were quite fun and I particularly liked & appreciated the wording for 1 across.

Glad you enjoyed it Joe.

Anniew wrote:

Tyce...finished the crossword...most enjoyable... thank goodness for the sevencyclopedia or I'd never have done it!! Thank you.

And Joe, I have got your next puzzle but I'm still stuck on the bloomin' bird!!!

There's a sevencyclopedia! I'll be looking that up.

Would anyone like any hints? Just let me know if you do.

I'll put the solution up on Sunday. :-)

Mistletoe12
@Joe: The Flexagon is brilliant! I'll stop at the printing stage and will leave 'processing the instructions' (quoting Annie) to Mistletoe Minor. He glances at those detailed Lego booklets and immediately 'gets it'. Me? I'd end up cursing at the innocent Flexagon print-out and scrunching it into a ball!

While many of your incredible quiz posts are taxing my tired mind, I could at least complete 'Know your Show' in two shakes of a lambs tail. Wink

@Sooper Mouse: re: your video. Great work, SM.

@BradPaula: Lovely holiday message from John Leeson.

@Tyce: What a fun crossword. Haven't quite completed it; will be doing that this weekend.

@Clare: Great visuals in your Christmas Tale. And you made me want to pop an actual humbug sweet into my mouth. Grin

Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:
I had no trouble sticking it...the question was where...

Just quickly then...

The long jagged edge needs to be glued on top of the blank triangular parts labelled A, B and E.

Each of the pictures in the jagged edge is diamond shape. The folds we made allow you to treat (and bend) these as two triangles. The end triangles forming the jagged teeth fit the A, B, and E tabs.

We're going to start by gluing the middle together (A), then one side (B), then join up the ends (C & D), then join the other side of the chain (E). So:

First, glue the flap that has Moloch's ear on top of tab A.

Next, glue the flap that shows the other side of his face (with Santa hat pom-pom) on top of tab B.

Before gluing the last section, we'll join the ends of the flexagon together. Fold the halfmade flexagon round into a loop and glue the picture of Avon's shoulder and clip gun to tab C. (Pause) Glue the picture of Blake's chin and the hugbot handles to tab D.

Then you can glue the last part: Glue the flap showing Moloch's chin on top of tab E.

(N.B. From memory, the video instructions do it slightly different at the end. The lady making the flexagon glues the last part (tab E) before gluing in ends C & D. It doesn't really matter which way you do it, but I found leaving E until last was easier.)

Viola... I hope!

In short, we're just rolling the paper up so we have a long paper tube, then turning it into a circle by gluing the ends together. Except, the tube is not cylindrical, it's goes in and out following the diamond pattern we've made with the folds. This is good because it allows us to make the ends meet. You can imagine what would really happen if you rolled a sheet of paper up as a cylinder and then tried to stick the ends together to make a paper doughnut shape - it would collapse into a squashed-up mess!

President Solvite
Re: Squashed up mess..

Its all to do with Gaussian Curvature and lack of local isometric consistency. It is also why I am hopeless at wrapping presents and having feuds with sticky tape every year.. Grin

Wishing for simple geometric primitive objects to wrap this year with clear , hard defined edges. IE. Boxes Smile

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
clanger68
@ Tyce.

Loving the crossword.

I'm doing it at work in my breaks, all from memory so far, haven't had to resort to outside clues as yet.

Normally hate crosswords, but this is fab.

- Andy
aquitar.blakes-7.co.uk/Animation/Scorpio_100.gif

Vila - "I plan to live forever - or die trying"

http://www.exewing.co.uk
Joe Dredd
Day 9 Yule Lads Challenge

I think Vila got Orac:

1. A book of riddles
2. Some chocolate money
3. A challenge to some kind of competition so Vila can prove he can beat Orac sometimes (Orac is confident he will beat Vila but the supercomputer doesn't know Vila intends to choose kickboxing - winnable & satisfyingly so).
4. A jar of pickled onions (When Orac complains, Vila can sympathise about lids being screwed on too tightly).
5. A motorised skateboard for Orac to get around on so no one has to carry it.
6. A muzzle.
7. A tin of anodiser polish.

sooper mouse
Slave got Avon:

1. A huge box of plasters (those boots have got to blister horribly)
2. A leather care kit
3. Atkins treats (without Libby's bottomless wardrobe, Avon has to stay trim or wear the horrid uniforms and we don't want that)
4. A new 100% cotton eastern Empire made turtleneck
5. Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" ( which Avon put aside to regift/throw at Blake whenever he finds him)
6. Plato's missing book Hermocrates. Turns out Dorian stole it from someone and hid it inside Slave.
7. The biggest bottle of conditioner in the Galaxy.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Joe Dredd
Great puzzles, Travisina! The first one was easy but I'm going to have to think about the second. There's a couple of sets of names I haven't worked out the connection for. Former acquaintances... no. Sidekicks... no. Characters appearing in the xth episode of each series... no. Characters played by actors who also appear in...

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Great puzzles, Travisina! The first one was easy but I'm going to have to think about the second. There's a couple of sets of names I haven't worked out the connection for. Former acquaintances... no. Sidekicks... no. Characters appearing in the xth episode of each series... no. Characters played by actors who also appear in...

One of those is kind of on the right track... Wink
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Joe you can't half go off people!! What do you mean easy... I thought I'd cracked puzzle one and ended up with a crazy last list!!

I forgive you though for your very clever gifts for Vila. And...AND...I think I've cracked the flexagon. Just need heavier paper!

And Soopermouse - of course that's just what Slave would buy Avon.

Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:

Joe you can't half go off people!! What do you mean easy... I thought I'd cracked puzzle one and ended up with a crazy last list!!

If you've got a list of eight similar entries and you're trying to work out how to split it into two lists of four, then a "crazy last list" is exactly what you need. Think "last"...

Anniew
I think I'm warranting the Avon insult " it's the kind of natural stupidity etc.." because now I'm even more baffled... I got last...( if we're on the same lines...) I'll think crazy next...

Travisina
Anniew's challenge - here's what Dayna got Vila:

1. A bottle of wine
2. A new chess set
3. A book: How to win at Space Monopoly
Vouchers for holidays on:
4. Space City
5. Del 10
6. Gardenos
(When the others remarked on her generosity, Dayna explained it would be nice for Vila to have holidays - and even nicer for the rest of them while he was away.)
7. Course in martial arts and unarmed combat. The lessons came in handy on Gauda Prime. Briefly.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,782,266 unique visits since 8th January 2014