Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Question about Liberator
Asimov
Hi all,
It's been a while since I have been here, but seeing as I want to build another 3D model of the Liberator I needed to ask a question.

It is very hard to get good photos of the original model, and there are a lot of fan made models out there, which may or may not be correct.
I have all 4 seasons but trying to get good shots of the Liberator always end up being blurry.

Anyway my question is this. There seems to be two models going around claiming to be the original, but the nose cone looks different.

I have the blueprints of the Liberator and at the cone there is a arrow shape on the front like in this picture
i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03331/liberator_3331211b.jpg

But in this photo it looks different
i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/JohnRLeah/The%20Liberator/DSV_zpswwhrpj4u.jpg

So one seems to have the indent at on the side, but in some shots I have seen it on the top.

I wonder if anyone can tell me how it is supposed to be, as it is hard to model something unless you know it is correct.

Also if you see the red things. In the blueprint there is one at the top and at the sides, but if you look at the model they are off centre.
i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/asimov500/Libplan.jpg

So I am wondering if the blueprint is wrong, or the model,or is it just that somebody fixed the nose cone on incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated, as this is my second attempt at this model, and my first was quite inacccurate.
Asimov
3D Artist
http://www.asimov...ises.co.uk
“You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.”

JustBrad
There are far more qualified folks to answer your modeling question and point you to good pics. All I'll say is that neither of your photos are of The Original.

The original is in the possession of Mat Irvine, and shows the scars of Terminal. Seen here with Mat

i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/smileys/IMG_2366_zpswzltmlw1.jpg

Anniew
I've never noticed before but on Mat's Liberator, the top and bottom left nacelles ( as you face the model) have different noses to the one on the bottom right. As his is the original were they designed to be different and if so why? or is it the result of damage?
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

exterminator
Hello!

The large Liberator model had only one mounting point for its support pole (on its underside). This obviously limited the available camera angles when filming. To counter this, it was possible to turn the front nose cone and the main drive, so (for example) for a shot of the model flying from one side of the screen to the other, it could be shot from above, with the nose and main drive turned to the correct orientation. Sometimes when it was filmed, the nose wasn't turned to the correct position, so it might have been horizontal, vertical or even diagonal! Mat Irvine owns almost all of the original Liberator model (I'll come back to that in a moment). The model is covered with the dried-on remains of the "space fungus" that destroyed the Liberator in "Terminal" (in reality a mixture of latex and sawdust), and the nose no longer turns.

As I mentioned, Mat owns almost all the parts of the original Liberator, which he has put back together (it was blown up at the end of "Terminal", as I'm sure you know). There is another large Liberator model that is said to contain a number of original parts (this is the one that has frequently appeared on eBay and other auction sites), and was created by well-known model maker Martin Bower (who added all the detailing to the Liberator model originally). Only one large Liberator model was built for the series, but both of them claiming their model is the "original" has been a source of argument and dispute for many years.

The "blueprint" you mention was drawn up by Paul Holroyd for Horizon's B7 Technical Manuals, and it was also used on the box of Comet's Liberator model kit. As far as I am aware, it was based on observations taken from the transmitted episodes, not Roger Murray-Leach's original designs or the actual model.

Hope that helps!
----------------------------------------

"There it is!"

exterminator
Anniew wrote:

I've never noticed before but on Mat's Liberator, the top and bottom left nacelles ( as you face the model) have different noses to the one on the bottom right. As his is the original were they designed to be different and if so why? or is it the result of damage?

The grey plastic parts are replacements for missing bits. Mat said he added them so the Liberator model looks complete, but he's not painted them because they're not original parts.

"There it is!"

exterminator
Oops, double post!

Mods, please feel free to delete. Smile

"There it is!"

Anniew
Thank you Exterminator. Smile
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Asimov
Hi all,

Well thanks for the reply. I can see why a lot of the model replicas and 3D models are slightly different because there is a lot of scope for interpretation as the ship is very blurred, and the only model which seems to exist has been mainly destroyed.

After studying lots of photos since my post I have come to the decision to put the pointy bit on the side as the plan from Horizon and put the indented part on the top and bottom, as I have seen it in some photos like this.

I built the Liberator some years ago when I first started 3D modelling, and haven't done a lot of spaceships since. I really wasn't pleased with my original attempt shown here, and I have learnt a lot since then.

i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/asimov500/Liberator%20New%20Build/07_Liberator%20In%20Orbit.jpg

I was inexperienced and tried to make the back of the ship using nurbs instead of polys. Then I made it squashed, and a lot of it was wrong, and not nearly enough detail.

Anyway I have started blocking out the new ship, and just trying to get a feel for the shape before I start adding any detail.
i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/asimov500/Liberator%20New%20Build/01_firstlib.png

The blue hexagon will be replaced with the proper panels soon. That is just a place holder. I put a hexagon on my original ship and realised it is wrong. It should be round with about 8 panels going around it.

I hope to do a lot better on this new build.

The Liberator is one of my favourite ships in all scifi.

I have always wondered if the Liberator would have had windows if the BBC had a bigger budget. I do notice that on a few places you see rows of black squares. I am wondering if these were decorative design or meant to be blacked out windows. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Now on my original design I just used texture maps for these, but I am going higher poly on this model,so I may model these in this time.

Thanks for the help.
Edited by Asimov on 30 November 2016 19:46:30
Asimov
3D Artist
http://www.asimov...ises.co.uk
“You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.”

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.35 seconds
9,126,408 unique visits since 8th January 2014