Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Travis
Spaceresearcher
Always a Blakes 7 fans interesting character for discussion.

Spaceresearcher
Of my favourite discussions on Travis and because the previous discussion is now gone from the main site and peoples views may have changed since then.

Which is your favourite Travis and why? (Or do you prefer Stephen Grief or Brian Croucher as Travis and why?).

Personally I actually preferred Stephen Grief as Travis but Brian Croucher really did take the character under his wing and padded Travis's character out more.

My main reason would be that Stephen just had a more sinister voice which fitted the kind of character I deemed Travis to be.

Grade Four Ignorant
I think both brought something to the role, personally.

I always saw Travis as being like a Barnardo's Boy - probably an orphan Delta taken in by the state, enlisting when he was sixteen and working his way up the ranks.

Little Man
My wife and I never liked Croucher: he just wasn't "proper Travis" to us! I agree, it's mainly down to the sinister voice of Stephen Greif.

Space Chopper
I liked Stephen Grief's Travis, as he had a suave air of menace, Servalan's real 'eminence grease', as Terry Pratchett would say. That said, Brian Croucher really nailed his version of the role and completely won me over in Trial- that was probably his best episode.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Little Man
Space Chopper wrote:

I liked Stephen Grief's Travis, as he had a suave air of menace, Servalan's real 'eminence grease', as Terry Pratchett would say. That said, Brian Croucher really nailed his version of the role and completely won me over in Trial- that was probably his best episode.

Fair comment: that was his best episode. He was pretty good in Gambit too, except for seeming wishy-washy at the end of the ep in a way Greif never did. So yes, he improved, but no, he didn't quite win me over. Tough act to follow though.

rojkerr1
Loved croucher, remember my disbelief when I first saw him in Weapon, couldn't believe recast, then his characterisation grew on me and I realised what a superb job he was doing, the Travis video on the season 2 boxset captures a lot of his greatest moments, love the way he says, its the great illusion Blake....

Spaceship Dispatcher
He's a great character, but imo he didn't need to be Travis; the two interpretations are so different. Playing a different Fed officer in persuit of Blake would have worked equally as well, as the continuity between s1 and s2 for Travis was not so tightly interwoven that it wouldn't have worked. Recasting basically cut Stephen out of making a return appearance later when he might have been available again.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

peladon
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

He's a great character, but imo he didn't need to be Travis; the two interpretations are so different. Playing a different Fed officer in persuit of Blake would have worked equally as well, as the continuity between s1 and s2 for Travis was not so tightly interwoven that it wouldn't have worked. Recasting basically cut Stephen out of making a return appearance later when he might have been available again.

I agree. It would have been better if he had been plyed that way. But Travis 2 has never worked for me on any level. I consider that he was generally poorly written (though not always) and usually acted in a fashion I find to be unbelievable (even with suspension of belief)

Travis 1 was a real person, a type that you would find in some military, totally believable, solid and consistent. Travis 2 was for the most part Kevin the teenager with a gun in his hand. Space Commander - I don't think so.

trevor travis
"I am Travis".

I think Brian Croucher is often given a raw deal by B7 fans.

He starts off in uncertain style in some scenes in "Weapon" (in interviews, he explained he was nervous taking over from another actor and an unhelpful director - George Spenton Foster - didn't help). Although actually he's not too bad at all - it's just this is the episode where you're going "Hold on, that's not Travis!".

But he's very much got a handle on his version of Travis by the time of "Trial".

He's unfortunate to then feature in a couple of episodes which misuse Travis a little, but is then given a strong send off in his final three episodes. He's the "hero" character in the Western that is Gambit, is clever and devious in "The Keeper", and then gets a decent death scene in "Star One".

One of his last lines: "I am Travis". Oh yes, very much so.

Tarrant On TV

I think the running story of Blake and Travis being each other's nemeses needed to be continued. I presume that's why they kept the character but changed the actor rather than gave us a completely new character.

Agreed. Stephen was generally better, but Brian steals the show in 'Trial'.

Rodney
I think Travis II is a big disappointment. Stephen Greif plays him as a thinking thug, and his ability to investigate shines through in Seek-Locate-Destroy. But Brian Croucher often bellows in a wooden delivery, not helped by storylines which sometimes make the character less interesting. I find it amazing that he never sat down to watch the first series. After all, he was taking over an existing role. He is good in Trial, but for me he lacks Greif's screen presence.
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travis II becomes too much a pantomime villain imo; but as you point out, it was as much down to writing and direction as the performance itself. Brian has played much more subtle villains in other shows like The Jenson Code...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad

Travis II becomes too much a pantomime villain imo; but as you point out, it was as much down to writing and direction as the performance itself. Brian has played much more subtle villains in other shows like The Jenson Code...

At least until Trial. Great script and a great performance by Brian.

But then... Hostage.

Rodney

That's an expression I used in my guide to the first two series. I think at times both Travis II and Servalan become like pantomime villains which is a shame as they are two wonderful Nation creations.
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Space Commander Travis
As someone who is only now seeing Blake's 7 for the first time I have loved watching Stephen Grief as Travis, he was extremely believable as the character and he portrayed a real sense of threat and menace on screen. It's in no way meant to offend anyone, and it's obviously only my personal opinion, but I think Brian Croucher is appalling in the role, his acting is quite dire and watching him take on the role of Travis can only be compared to that of viewing a pantomime villain on screen. I've only just this minute finished watching 'Voice from the Past' and I'm frankly shocked at just how poor his version of the character is.
Edited by Space Commander Travis on 23 June 2016 13:53:10

sweevo
Maybe Travis is a code name reserved for Federation officers given the task of bringing Blake to justice? That could explain the change in appearance and personality between Stephen and Brian's portrayals (although if I had my way, then I'd have made Carnell the de-facto antagonist of Season 2).

JustBrad

It's a wonderful theory, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it before, but if that's the case, they were both involved in the massacre of civilians. However, in SLD, the planet was Auros, in Trial, it was Zercasta. So either massacres were fairly common, or this one man with two faces was involved in more than one.

BradPaula
I think you need to give some credit to Brian Croucher having to take over a role already 'fleshed out' by another actor, Stephen Greif. It could not have been easy trying to match what had already been done and still try to inject something of your own to the role. I think Brian came into his own in the episode Trial, as he finally got to get his teeth into the part. His recent reprisal of Travis II in the Big Finish audios have been a joy to listen to.

I won't state a favorite Travis. I love them both and have been fortunate to have met Brian and Stephen a few times. Both lovely gentlemen! Sad
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

BradPaula
Unique and thought-provoking theory, Sweevo. And as for Carnell- well, he was so good he should have been in every episode of the second series!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,934,223 unique visits since 8th January 2014