Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Servalan
Spaceresearcher
Oh what an amazing character and surprisingly less talked about than Avon. Well if the ladies have the hots for Avon, then I'll confess I have the hots for Servalan. Amazing women. Sadistically evil, but amazing nonetheless.

The most fascinating aspect of her character for me was the personal issues she had. I could never work out when she was genuinely feeling or if it was but a show for an otherwise cold ruthless dictator that would stop at nothing in her eternal quest for power.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Several of the male students I was at school with bewailed the fact that there was no Farah Fawette stle poster of the Sumpreme Commander.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Sopron
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Oh what an amazing character and surprisingly less talked about than Avon.

I suspect that many Servalanophiles weren't thinking about conversation...

peladon
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Oh what an amazing character and surprisingly less talked about than Avon. Well if the ladies have the hots for Avon, then I'll confess I have the hots for Servalan. Amazing women. Sadistically evil, but amazing nonetheless.

The most fascinating aspect of her character for me was the personal issues she had. I could never work out when she was genuinely feeling or if it was but a show for an otherwise cold ruthless dictator that would stop at nothing in her eternal quest for power.

I'd disagree with sadistic. IMO the wonder and bravery of the Servalan character, other than her largely gender neutral construction, was the banality of her evil. Servalan as created was a military politician to her painted nails. Corrupt as the world she inhabited, distanced from the people she had power over and one who no doubted justified the means by the ends. She would have be less scary if she had been less real, more sadistic and like the more exagerated fan fic views of her. I dont think she had any 'personal issues' at all, and I think she probably believed in the Federation as much as she was capable of beleiving in anything. One of her great strengths was the no excuses were ever made for her (other than the terrible Sand).Wonderful creation.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Agree Peladon, I don't see Servalan as especially sadistic within the setting of the show; she is efficient and professional. Her role in the security services would involve doing unpleasant things, but that just seems realistic for an organisation in a totalitarian society.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceresearcher
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Agree Peladon, I don't see Servalan as especially sadistic within the setting of the show; she is efficient and professional. Her role in the security services would involve doing unpleasant things, but that just seems realistic for an organisation in a totalitarian society.

LOL. Peladon and SD, you have both got to be kidding. Nice try though.

JustBrad

I'm on board with this. Ruthless, yes. Sadistic, no, with the caveat that she could be if she held a personal, as opposed to a professional, grudge.

Spaceresearcher
JustBrad wrote:

I'm on board with this. Ruthless, yes. Sadistic, no, with the caveat that she could be if she held a personal, as opposed to a professional, grudge.

This is awesome. I never thought there would be a discussion which attempted to highlight Servalan in a kind way at all. Amazing.

To the actual actor Jacqueline Pearce I would say an absolute sweety. To the character of Servalan. A cold hearted maniac to say the least. Servalan to me would be a bit like Satan, impossible to resist but you would regret it in the end.
Edited by Spaceresearcher on 23 February 2014 20:52:12

peladon
Spaceresearcher wrote:

No. I see nothing sadistic in Servalan, she is perfectly true to a particular type within the context of a corrupt and dictatorial facist regime, that is why she is so scary and so wonderful a creation. Uncomfortable I know but thats B7.

Spaceresearcher
peladon wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

No. I see nothing sadistic in Servalan, she is perfectly true to a particular type within the context of a corrupt and dictatorial facist regime, that is why she is so scary and so wonderful a creation. Uncomfortable I know but thats B7.

Sadistic the gaining of pleasure or sexual gratification from the infliction of pain and mental suffering on another person.

There are many times when Servalan smiles rather cruelly, particularly when she's about to kill off someone because she see's no further use for them. Not to mention inflicting torture and effortlessly testing biological weapons on various victims. That is sadistic. If someone can't see sadistic in that, then there obviously blinded by Servalan's beauty and pretend mannerisms.

Was it Avon that declared:"Trust you? I'd be dead in a week".

Spaceship Dispatcher
@ Spaceresearcher

I'm not joking or blinded, I just have a different perspective to you and I believe a holistic one.

If you're trying to fit Servalan into a vision of the 'girl next door' and compare her attitudes to those of Ms Average in a democratic non-police state twentyfirst century setting, then maybe by those standards you could say that she's sadistic, but we're not; we're talking about Blake's 7, and about an apparently totalitarian galaxy spanning empire with a pretty ruthless security service. Personally, I don't subscribe the the view that the whole of space and every planet is exactly the same as the small sample we see within the show. But even so, within the basic and over-simplified context described above, she is no more or less violent and callous than I would expect from a person in her position and in her profession. So she smiles sometimes? You say sadism, I say callous satisfaction with what she thinks is a thorough job well done. She oversees torture? Sadly, that's not uncommon in real life either but when performed by a government on its subjects the reasons are usually political rather than sadism as you define it; but that's a subject that's difficult to seperate from RL and so I would submit that its outside the bounds of this thread. Likewise the use of biological weapons: imo this isn't the place to condemn or justify such things, all we can do is accept that in the future as in the present day they exist and those who use them do so with a variety of motives and emotions. But I don't believe Servalan's emotions to be sadistic.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis
Servalan? Ruthless. Totally and utterly ruthess. And a complete psychopath. Anyone who wipes out a whole planet just to try to gain control of a spaceship is a psychopath.

But sadistic? Probably not.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Servalan? Ruthless. Totally and utterly ruthess. And a complete psychopath. Anyone who wipes out a whole planet just to try to gain control of a spaceship is a psychopath.

Yes, neatly and concisely summed up.

JustBrad
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Nothing to imply sadism in that statement, only the cold, ruthless, political reality of living as an outlaw in a Fascist state.

Spaceresearcher

@ Spaceresearcher

I'm not joking or blinded, I just have a different perspective to you and I believe a holistic one.

If you're trying to fit Servalan into a vision of the 'girl next door' and compare her attitudes to those of Ms Average in a democratic non-police state twentyfirst century setting, then maybe by those standards you could say that she's sadistic, but we're not; we're talking about Blake's 7, and about an apparently totalitarian galaxy spanning empire with a pretty ruthless security service. Personally, I don't subscribe the the view that the whole of space and every planet is exactly the same as the small sample we see within the show. But even so, within the basic and over-simplified context described above, she is no more or less violent and callous than I would expect from a person in her position and in her profession. So she smiles sometimes? You say sadism, I say callous satisfaction with what she thinks is a thorough job well done. She oversees torture? Sadly, that's not uncommon in real life either but when performed by a government on its subjects the reasons are usually political rather than sadism as you define it; but that's a subject that's difficult to seperate from RL and so I would submit that its outside the bounds of this thread. Likewise the use of biological weapons: imo this isn't the place to condemn or justify such things, all we can do is accept that in the future as in the present day they exist and those who use them do so with a variety of motives and emotions. But I don't believe Servalan's emotions to be sadistic.

ROFL. SD, your a classic. If I had a bomb car to sell, you would be the first person I'd ask to write the advertisement when selling it.

It's great that some people view the character this way though. Very interesting.

Spaceresearcher
trevor travis wrote:

You said it TT, myself I'd add sadistic but for some reason a number of fans disagree. (Good on them for being Servalan sympathisers).

Spaceresearcher
JustBrad wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Nothing to imply sadism in that statement, only the cold, ruthless, political reality of living as an outlaw in a Fascist state.

Not at all, but emphasising she's as attractive as poison if you know her.

Nice Jaggaroth snippet clip too by the way,

JustBrad
Spaceresearcher wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Not at all, but emphasising she's as attractive as poison if you know her.

Nice Jaggaroth snippet clip too by the way,

No doubt Avon is right, he'd be dead as soon as she no longer needed him.

Grade Four Ignorant
She does seem to take some sadistic glee in torturing Hal Mellanby after she destroys his funky disco medallion.

Sopron
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

She does seem to take some sadistic glee in torturing Hal Mellanby after she destroys his funky disco medallion.

Quite right G4I, and the relish with which she out-nasties Travis over the murder of Dr. Maryatt leads me firmly into the sadist camp. As far as I can recall, when he says "You're nearly as ruthless as I am." she replies "You underestimate me, Travis" with a purr and a feral grin that indicates to me that she loves the idea of being queen-bitch. That's not just job satisfaction, that's the reply of a woman who loves what she does.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,170,060 unique visits since 8th January 2014